Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My autonomous lawn mower thread/blog

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭poker--addict

dont suppose there is any sales on 😀

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Baoithin66

I'd recommend Ambrogio then Husqvarna depending on whether you have a local dealer or not. There is plenty on info on this thread but it does take a lot of time to wade through it. I have an Ambrogio 250i (lawn about half an acre ) and my neighbor has a Husqvarna. We both have the same size lawn but having looked the his mower I preferred the Ambrogio. I also got a much better deal at the time :-)

Unless your handy I'd recommend you get it installed or at least get the wire buried although I think you can hire the machine. If you bargain with the dealer you may not save that much by doing it yourself unless you import one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭poker--addict

The 250i looks good, as does the 4, not sure actually what the relevant differences are?

I have 1850Sq M. By the sounds of it the wire settles into the grass after a few months, I am thinking to lay it above ground initially, that was I can fine tune the area too.

Where are other boardies importing from?

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭shane b

I believe many boardies use my robot center in Germany. I have seen comments delays in delivery post brexit though.

https://www.myrobotcenter.eu/en/lawn-and-pool-robots/lawn-mowing-robots

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Dazed2020

I've read quite a few comments here about the service/dealer network being pretty strong for Husqvarna products.

Can anyone comment on Worx & Amrbogio? Do issues get resolved quickly (even if products are bought online rather than through a particular dealer)?

I've got a ~1,600sqm garden (i do need to measure the slope but hoping it's not an issue). The Worx L2000 seems to be on sale on both myrobocentre and B&Q for a little over €1,200. The former have a 5 year guarantee and it looks like Worx themselves have a 3yr which i guess would apply to B&Q. Would they faults & issues be resolved by B&Q even if i bought fromy myrobocentre?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭Thud

the only issue I had with y Worx landroid was one of my blade screw heads snapped so I couldn't change the blade, they sent out a new blade mount plate for free. Not sure if the service would be as good/quick for motor or sensor issues but haven't had any yet

One more question from me on this. Our lawn has an area in the middle which is entitled fenced off (to keep the kids penned in).

I was planning on sawing a smallish hole, just big enough to allow the mower to fit, on the bottom of each each fence to allow the mower to travel underneath and cut either side of the lawn as well as portion that's fenced off.

Does this make sense? Will the robot find the hole each time it mows?

And of ambrogio, worx and husqvarna (which I'm all considering) would any have advantages in this regard? Does husqvarna's guidewire simply send it back to base or does that dictate where it travels to?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,066 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Will the robot find the hole each time it mows?

only if you use a guide wire

Does husqvarna's guidewire simply send it back to base or does that dictate where it travels to?

both.

it knows where it has been (GPS) and uses the guide wires to get to places it knows it hasn’t been to.

and it also uses the guide wire to quickly find its way home as its direct and guaranteed.

So Husqvarna is my best option then, it seems? McCulloch uses guidewire but models don't cover my size lawn.

John Deere tango has a guidewire but looks to be similar price as Husqvarna.

I would have preferred the Landroid L2000 as it's €1k less than Husqvarna 420. Bit disappointing!

Edit to ask - if I did get the Worx couldn't I just run the boundary wire alongside the fence (on each side) to where the gap is, then run it back along the other side of the fence? Would have to do this twice. I believe this would efficiency create zones.

Post edited by Dazed2020 on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭micks_address

hi folks,

long time follower of the thread - thinking of getting a mower this spring for doing the back garden. Its not a large area by any means. probably to patches 5 metres by 4 meters with a path down the middle.. i was thinking of this little guy https://www.myrobotcenter.eu/en/yardforce-easymow-260

its not app controlled etc.. but apart from seeing what its doing on my phone i don't think there's any great benefit to it? This machine doesnt use guide wires etc?

Thanks,

Mick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭iknorr

Hi all,

Decided im going to buy a robot mower this year. Been doing a fair bit of research over the xmas but need some help that i cant get in store.

524sqm lawn that surrounds 3 sides of a square hour. 165m perimeter wire require.

Looking at

Worx M700 650

Worx M700 2.0 800 - a few fancier control bits on it

Worx L1000 - Due to two wheels upfront

Ambrogio Twenty ZR 1300 - No wire needed, has radar and grass to stone sensor.

For the worx ill need to add more wire or join it somehow?

Any thoughts if the worx m700 or L1000 are overkill?

Im thinking of saving up and splashing out on the Ambrogio but it only has a 2/3 year warranty and it appears to be a new model.

Anyone have any experience with these or even some general advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭iknorr

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭dermotp

This is a great thread,I have a hosqvarna 105,my garden is only 75 sq.meters,I have a dog kennel converted to house the mower,at the moment I have taken the mower itself inside for the winter and left the base outside under the kennel is this OK or should I take the base in aswell?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭dashoonage

my base's are out all year round with no issues, i leave the power on to them as well.

Mowers had a 48hr spin out there last week to keep the lawns in check.

dashoonage,

thanks for your reply,I have put the mower out today Monday 24th.as the weather is so good been out now for two and quarter hours but stopped in the centre of the garden when I checked it said need manual charging as the battery was flat,I was surprised it stopped without returning to base when battery was running low,this is my first time using the mower,checked the manual and all it said under troubleshooting was put in base to charge as it was in manual mode or should I get it checked by my supplier who is local,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Maybe give the supplier a ring, whenever i put mine out they always tip into the base for a while and stay there for a bit even if 100% charged. I've given up trying to figure them out and just let them at it.

I dont leave mine out at night currently as its too cold. After their 48hr run they are cleaned and back in storage inside again.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,548 ✭✭✭✭listermint

My power and base are out year round and have been for three years. I turn if off from cutting for about two months of the year. Nov Dec. Its back started last week.

Its never been an issue.

I genuinely think folks pay too much heed to cuddling a machine which is very dumb. And is designed to be outdoors in whatever conditions. If you don't have a house or cover for it get one. Other than that leave it do its job. Give it a clean under every now and again and change the blades maybe once or twice a season.

And relax.

dashoonage,i checked and it was not on automatic when I charged it I sent it out again and it worked perfectly and returned to base when completed,all good,thanks for your comments.

listermint,ivdo have a converted dog kennel which I house the robot in,I only bought the mower last November and feeling my way at present with it,I put it out on Monday as the grass had grown a lot as the weather was so dry and after an initial problem because it was,nt in automatic mode it died in the middle of the garden when the battery was flat,recharged and put it out again and worked perfectly, I cleaned it and put it in kennel ready to go when the grass grows again,thanks for your comments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 banjostring

Hi all - I’m upgrading my Robomow RS 630 this season (8 years old) and was wondering if anyone here has any experience with the Wiper Premium range ? I’m looking at the F35S which does around 3500m2. Can’t find any reviews as they are fairly new to the market I believe.

Any comments welcome.

Thank you.

Hi Brian, just reading you bought the wiper premium f35s. What’s the verdict on that machine after a full Season done ?

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭lotmc

i got a Worx 700 sq. mt. robotic mower in December - i had ordered from myrobotcentre.eu in October but their delivery date was being pushed out. Their customer service was very poor so I asked for a refund. In fairness they refunded promptly, but after being messed around for 2 months I was happy to see the back of them.

I went for this one https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/8798125/Trail/searchtext%3EWORX.htm

I bought from a German seller on eBay for 675 including shipping. The seller only 2 for sale; both now sold.

So far it has been fantastic, and I highly recommend them, particularly if you can get it at the reduced price of 730 in Argos. The reduction is genuine; they are normally priced over 900. Argos dont have many in stock; I checked a few of their shops and I could only find one in Rathfarnham (Nutgrove). Argos also have a smaller Worx one (300 sq. mt.) reduced from 710 to 560 https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/8790824/Trail/searchtext%3EWORX.htm

I'm waiting for the grass to start growing faster to get the full benefit, but in the month that I have been using it, it has taken care of most leaves, and the lawn is looking great. installation was fairly easy although it has cut the wire once in a place where I had allowed a little too much slack. Easy to repair though.

highly recommended

• Registered Users Posts: 12,066 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Hi all - I’m upgrading my Robomow RS 630 this season (8 years old)

Why the upgrade? 8yrs isnt that long considering what you would have paid. Is it showing its age or you just want newer tech?

I also wonder what the 2nd hand market is like for these mowers. I'm not sure you'd convince too many to buy an 8yr old robot vs an 8yr old ride on. I'd be interested to know if you plan to sell and how that goes. I suppose anything is sellable at the right price.

It’s starting to cost me a couple of hundred euro a season on new parts. Plus the lithium battery needs replacing and the lcd screen. It still physically works but I think it’s time to retire her! Another reason is that the tracking / rutting it has left in the lawn from following the perimeter wire is crazy and causing it issues. The newer ones with the GPS etc work a little smarter and there is better scope to offset the mower from the perimeter wire when coming back to base. Overall I can’t complain about the mower I have as it has worked hard, my site is quite tricky, very hilly and has a good few trees very close to the perimeter.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Brianmeath

It's been a joy, only problem I had was using the app, but got the hang of it, it was trial & error. Machine has been brilliant, couldn't fault it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jed68

Am thinking of buying a Husqvarna 430x and I am just wondering if anybody had an issues where they bought a Husqvarna mower online from a shop in mainland Europe and had any difficulty in getting approved Husqvarna dealers here in Ireland to repair items which are covered under warranty. I realize that theoretically, there shouldn't be any issues but I am curious if any dealers have tried telling you to send it back to where you bought it which would be totally impractical. I can save circa 400 euros if I buy online but I don't want the hassle of dealing with someone in another country if something goes wrong while the mower is under warranty. This is a great thread and convinced me that the automatic mowers are the way forward.

Now I’m actually also leaning towards the 430X. I’ve a question regarding the drive past wire function if anyone can help please.

if for example I set the drive past wire to 350mm will it drive past the wire by 350mm in all locations or does can I set this measurement to suit the conditions of different areas or zones in my lawn ?

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭spose

Have a 430x and highly recommend it. The drive past distance would apply to everywhere it senses the boundary wire.

As for getting it repaired if bought on line… I haven’t needed any warranty repairs done but local agent was happy to take it for a service when I wanted a software update. Can’t see why anyone would turn the work away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭micks_address

Hi folks,

Ordered yardforce 400 drunk shopping the other night..should have it next week..I'm wondering about the wire run. Our garden is two squares with a path down the middle. Do I wire around the garden/grass external perimeter and the mower will cross the path itself?

Cheers,

Mick

Advertisement