Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shane McInerney arrested due to bad behavior on flight to NYC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Shao Kahn

Oh, I don't disagree with you that it shouldn't happen. People should behave themselves, and respect everyone else on board.

I still stand by my original point, however. Modern society is creating a huge amount of drama queens and cry babies, who cannot handle anything even remotely stressful or unexpected. There used to be a much higher bar for what would be classified as a traumatic experience in life.

We shouldn't even know this loser's name. He's a nobody who threw a drunken wobbler on a random flight. Not the first, and certainly won't be the last.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

Ah yeah can’t critique anything about the beloved US punishment and crime model, even though it seems to have no impact whatsoever on lowering crime, but don’t let facts get in the way of a good vengeance online circle jerk.

Ireland’s system is far from perfect, but what goes on over there isn’t right either. It’s gone way, way, waaaay too far in a lot of ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Shao Kahn

Well, go on then? Show us the facts?

Show us the facts that prove all the people that are currently incarcerated in US prisons, wouldn't be out on the streets continuing to commit crimes and America's crime rate wouldn't be 10x higher than it already is? Show us all those facts!

You hear this nonsense trotted out by deluded wide eyed liberal types all the time. No solid evidence to back up their hypothesis however. Just fluffy liberal soundbites as per usual.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

Or, those hard keyboard warrior, angry, vengeful, Robocop sound bytes. I suppose just as long as it keeps those damn hippies off the lawn?

The main thing is ask no questions, never critique anything and be permanently fearful of others and always outraged. It’s the American way, well at least the Fox News, OAN imbibing half of America anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Juran

Makes my blood boil, these stories of 200+ crimimal convictions and still roaming the streets. These people cost us tax payers millions in free legal aid.

I got a parking ticket a couple of years ago from an Irish city council. Due to the circumstances at the time, and I never left the car, I appealed it. They rejected it, and doubled the fine as I had not paid within 30 days. I enquired how I could appeal to the next level ( it was the principle, it was not the money that got my goat). I recived a letter to say they were moving my case to the courts system and would recieve court summons, and would have a criminal record if found 'guilty'. I just paid it, I couldnt risk it as I travel lots, and will need visa for US, Canada, Australia, etc. Plus work references, etc.

I have never been to court, never had a fine in my life, never been arrested, but I could not risk court, I know well that they would throw the book at me, the law abiding tax payer, the easy target ..unlike the folk who appear at our courts on a monthly basis, with loads of convictions, who walk out and dont even get a fine as they 'cant afford it'.

So before we all have a go at the US justice system, I would like some elements of it being applied here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,078 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Stuff and nonsense. There's endless critique of US government policy from within the US. Ever hear of the ACLU?

What makes the US work at all, is the rule of law. Something Ireland could do well to emulate. It's how the US, composed of immigrants (everyone's an immigrant if you go back far enough) with different cultural expectations, can live together with common expectations.

Here's one example I like: I read a story a few years back about Spain and 12 year old girl who gave birth. She was Roma, and had been married to some boy at 13. The Spanish authorities were aghast -what could they do? No laws against this but clearly it's a dreadful story for the girl & the boy. The girl's mother was of course having none of this, thought it was the best thing ever.

In the US, the mother, the priest that married them, and the doctor who dealt with the girl through her pregnancy, would all have been in trouble, the latter two as they're 'mandatory reporters' (does Ireland even have that?) Prison sentences could have been given for their failure to report the statutory rape, which is what the girl was a victim of.

But, do tell me how awful the US is. Also, remember, unlike Ireland, it has a population of around 330 million people.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,953 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I’d argue anyone misbehaving and intimidating and causing panic/terror on an aeroplane deserves serious repercussions. It’s one thing that boils my blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭generic_throwaway

You can talk about those things. You can't publish stuff about it on a private platform that will be sued to high heaven if the information is not accurate, but that is not the same as not being able to talk about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭john123470

" .. We shouldn't even know this loser's name. He's a nobody who threw a drunken wobbler on a random flight. Not the first, and certainly won't be the last .. "

i do have some sympathy for the man. He is "one of us" .. he is part of a culture - men and women - that are quite ok with getting 10 sheets to the wind when out on the town or even at home

There is no real loss of dignity being drunk in public in Ireland ..

the brutta faccia / brute face so risible in eg. Italy and other countries is not a bother here

In Ireland, you might be embarrassed by what you said or did the nite bfore, but its not likely stop you drinking and repeating same behaviour. Your culture will forgive you. Its 'who we are'

I suspect Shane Mac had some farewell parties prior to departure that (naturally) involved copious amounts of alcohol .. still drunk on morning of flying, he may have simply been 1 or 3 beers shy of the lunatic he became en avion ..

Lately, folk have been barking on about a culture of misogny in Ireland

well, underlying this "issue" is a culture of being perfectly OK for men and women to park their reasoning at the pub door and get so rat-arsed that they cant even remember how they got home next day

You might fling cocaine and several other recreationals into the mix for good measure

Personal responsibility / safety then becomes dependant on the goodwill of the immediate people / friends around you. Then if you get into any kind of trouble .. well .. no way is it your fault ..

They scratch their heads about how gentlemen fail to be gentlemen and ladies fail to be ladies on a night out.

We are not the only culture. I have visited Poland a lot recently. To see a goddess of a woman in the morning turn into an ugly, devil-possessed woman in a bar or house party 12 hours later is truly a sight to behold

Absolutely, people have personal responsibility for their behaviour but I also charge a culture that turns a blind eye to the evils of excess drinking. Endless hours in a bar getting blotto aka rowdy seems to be perfectly fine

Again, this is NOT everybody but it happens often enough to at least be considered an issue eg. re the safety of those in one's immediate vicinity esp. mid flight

Shane Mac is an arse right enough but we are all complicit. If we are to call out loutish behaviours againt women, shouldn't we make sure everybody is sober first so they are available to listen ?

Authorities might well approach drinking culture with the self same vigour as they did smoking.

At least with smoking, you are mostly killing just yourself

• Advertisement

If this was a Muslim committing the crime, the same people saying that "Is 20-years too harsh?" wouldn't be saying the same thing.

But because he's Irish, they make excuses for what is extreme behaviour within the confines of a tin can that's flying at 1,200 km/hr with 600 people on board.

That said, he probably won't receive 20-years.

My guess is 3-5 years, then deported - and banned from entering the United States.

And yes, it serves him well; and serves to deter other eejits who think they can get away with similar behaviour on board an aircraft.

I don't think you understand what freedom of speech is then.

"Freedom of speech[2] is a principle that supports the freedom of an individual or a community to articulate their opinions and ideas without fear of retaliation, censorship, or legal sanction."

So you are saying that you can't talk to your friends or family about the person who carried out the Tullamore murder? Are you afraid the state will burst into the pub or your kitchen or whatever and jail you?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,377 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

You can take the man out of Ballinasloe but you can't take Ballinasloe out of the man, will be a bit of shock to the system when he's roaming those bleak streets again at some point wondering where it all went wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

He'll be sound once he's had a few pints in Guillanes.

Not.

Freedom of speech, in the US, is a constitutional right. "Congress shall make no law .... abridging the freedom of speech...." As was pointed out above, if I were to start giving out about that recent murder and naming the alleged perpetrator by name, I'd be shut down as the mods (rightfully) have to protect the site from libel suits, which wouldn't happen in the US.

Lets say for the argument, I was a TD if I were to descend on the Dail and start claiming that the Healey-Rae's were Russian operatives, again, I could be sued for libel.

This wouldn't happen in the US. The libel laws are fairly toothless, not 100% but rarely are they used to prosecute. Not here, happens all the time. No freedom of speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,377 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Oh Christ I wouldn't send my worst enemy to that hellhole!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,800 ✭✭✭Odelay

Actually, if you were a TD you can say what you like about whomever you like in the Dail. They are protected there because of Dail Privilege. You need to do a little more research on our own liable laws before declaring the benefits of those in another country...

Right, and in the US it's exactly the same. The government won't come after you for naming some random person as a murderer, but a private company like Boards or Twitter are not going to allow you publish something that is potentially libellous and could cost them a fortune.

The problem here is that you just don't understand what freedom of speech refers to.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,079 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

That is not throwing away a massive opportunity.

He did not have a massive opportunity.

I know plenty about American College Football.

I had to Google Peru State College.

They are so far down the pecking order they are invisible.

A Peru State College player making the NFL is the equivalent to a guy playing in a 5 a side soccer kick about on a floodlight astro getting an England call up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,483 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,801 ✭✭✭amacca

I dunno

How does that account for all the people that participate in our culture and can manage to take a flight without needing to be arrested.

In my book this guy is solely responsible for his own behaviour and the ensuing consequences not Irish drinking culture.

Now our culture of increasingly not being responsible for our own actions...that might be something I'd consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭john123470

I did not deny the personal responsibility of Shane Mc for his actions in my post above.

I wrote -

"Absolutely, people have personal responsibility for their behaviour .. "

What I decry is the prevalence and acceptance of a heavy drinking culture in Ireland. Simply that

Another thread started up on boards today is titled " IF ALCOHOL DISAPPEARED OVERNIGHT, THE COURTS COULD CLOSE .."

They are simply opinions. You don't have to agree with them ..

You write ... " Now our culture of increasingly not being responsible for our own actions...that might be something I'd consider .. "

Well, getting plastered drunk - irish style - is one example of "not being responsible for our own actions ..."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,801 ✭✭✭amacca

I think we might agree somewhat tbh...just I put more emphasis on an individuals responsibility for their own behaviour. In this case ....I'd put this individuals responsibility percentage at 100%

But anyway by way of clarification you did say (if you will forgive me snipping out the bits I was responding to)

"Absolutely, people have personal responsibility for their behaviour but I also charge a culture that turns a blind eye to the evils of excess drinking"

"Shane Mac is an arse right enough but we are all complicit"

It's just my opinion that we are not all complicit ..even to a small degree in this clown being a clown.....that's on him afaic not our culture....I don't accept your placing of this charge.

If it was a cultural thing wouldn't much larger numbers of people participating in that culture also be getting involved in that level of prickery on an airplanes all around the world?....lots of our binge drinking culture participants seem to be able to take a flight without an arrest being required.....I would venture the vast majority.

I think its a problem that we seem to jump to these nebulous cultural/environmental factors to provide explanations for small numbers of individual asshat behaviours.

Simplistic probably....but I think its the asshats fault, it's the individual that engaged in the behaviour its the individual that should experience the consequences and we don't bear any collective responsibility nor should we trying to manufacture one.

Not btw that I don't think we could do with a healthier attitude to drink etc...just that it shouldn't be provided as any kind of safety blankets for tits like this lad...even if its just on a discussion forum.

What on Earth are you talking about? America has a serious problem with child marriage, with it happening in the low teens in a lot of states.

Off-topic to the thread but you singled out the worst Western country for young girls marrying their rapists as the place where everyone would get in trouble for it.

A study this year found that nearly 300,000 children — meaning age 17 and under — were married in the United States from 2000 to 2018. An overwhelming majority were 16- or 17- year-old girls, on average marrying a man four years older. But more than 1,000 were 14 or younger, and five were only 10 years old. Some were wed to people far older.

“No one asked me for consent,” remembered Patricia Abatemarco, who as an eighth grader was married just after her 14th birthday to a man who was 27. “There was nothing romantic about it. I wasn’t in love with him. I didn’t have a crush on him. I was afraid of him.”

TALLAHASSEE, Florida — In Florida's halls of power, Sherry Johnson is somewhat of an anomaly: a black woman who grew up destitute and survived child abuse.

Her story is shocking. Raped at 8 and pregnant at 10, she was forced to marry her rapist at 11. She had to abandon high school after the babies kept coming.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

It's potentially libelous because generous libel laws are allowed. Unlike in the US where, since the government won't come after you, the libel laws are weak. Could I accuse the Healy Raes of being Russian operatives on a RTE interview? Probably not, as it has aspects of a private company. No problem, though, on NBC.

Twitter lets you publish 'potentially libelous' tweets; in the UK they sue over them as they have robust (chlling) libel laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

I hope he gets jail time and a minimum of five years and banned from flying for at least 10 years. Anyone that causes disruption of any kind mid flight deserves this at the very least. No excuse for it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

I see he features on the indo today

I think your confusing what the government can do insofar as free speech vs what private citizens can do.

free speech does not protect you from making libel claims about someone or something.

what it does protect is yours and my freedom to criticise the government and elected officials.

For example both here & in the US we can call Micheal D and/or Joe Biden big stupid heads.

You could not get away with that in Russia or China for instance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

You won't mess with the yanks I tell ya.

Wish we'd be more strict on crime.

Advertisement