Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Excuse my ignorance but I don't think I know Jay Burke?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

He's from Thomastown I'm fairly sure

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭droppingball

Yeah full back from Thomastown, played against laois, been very good for thomastown the last few years and is very dedicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭brookville

Mickey butler looks very promising if he can stay injury free and himself and Darren mullen would be 2 very good corner backs.He done a great job on eoin cody in the County final. Shane Walsh,Owen wall and Robbie Buckley will bring pace to the attack and with a proper game plan and good deliveries they have potential I just hope they don't get discarded after a few minutes if it's not working. Are cian kenny and and brassill on the panel?Apart from Liam blanchfield how many others haven't rejoined the panel this year?

Ronan corcoran very unlucky and a speedy recovery to him. Willie Connors of tipp picked up a nasty injury against kerry a few weeks ago and he had a club football match the following week.Shane cooney is obviously a big loss to club and county. Eamon o sheas son was playing for galway last weekend and played college during the week which Is suprising considering he will be playing against mooncoin in the junior semi final.

Players will get another opportunity to put their hand up this weekend we will probably see a sprinkle of a few regulars.Laois had a stronger team but were wasteful in the first half but credit to the lads they finished very strong despite not playing together before . Darragh egan will want to set down an early marker. Congrats to Tom mullally last weekend he has some track record and I can't understand how he hasn't being added to the kilkenny backroom team at some grade. A shrewd operator that knows how the modern game works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Village87

How old are most of these lads? If they were good enough 3/4/5 years ago why were they not brought in then ? they are missing all the years of experience, expert s&c and diet thats required to get to the levels of Limerick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Grats

Oh dear! So, you want more than half a dozen of last years panel to go and now it appears you don't want quite a number of the new lads in. You've been asked on a number of occasions to list the players you think should be called in. Once and for all can you list those players or ease up? The players don't get paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

If we follow your criteria kilkenny will only be able to enter the hurling 7s ..no chance of fielding 15

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

I'd say there's more chance of Boris Johnson being honest to the British public than you getting an answer to that question...

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭The_Ghost

Surely just has to tap that ball over the bar. Woeful decision

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

TBH it was as easy stitch in the net from that close.

Rip roaring game.

Good effort but Tommy Walsh and Cillian Buckley being torn assunder by their markers (Mc Donald and Foley directly or indirectly chipped in about 1-15 of Wexford's total) dug us a big hole. Buckley lasted 55 mins, while Tommy Walsh incredibly lasted the whole match and committed a howler in injury time to hand Wex a late equaliser.

Cian Kenny was simply marvellous and could become a real fan's favourite, impish, stylish and fearless.

Huw Lawlor pick of a shaky set of backs, Maher not too bad.

Donnelly was good but missed a routine point that would probably have sealed the win.

Mossy and Bolger and Padraig Walsh (who played wing forward) outplayed for most of match but stuck at it, and all finished strong.

David Blanchfield and Walter both made a difference when brought on.

Darren Brennan really good in goal.

A reminder of why Cody is still manager, outplayed for a long time then just outfought Wex in last 20 mins and in fact should have won. A Cody team will never just hand you a win, not even in a Walsh Cup match, but still plenty to worry about, not least the aerial bombardment of our FF line for 45 mins that yielded next to nothing.

Cody also has spent an entire mangerial career never blaming his full back line and again today stood watching for 75 mins as his full back was taken to the cleaners.

Wexford were very good for 45 mins but think Kilkenny had better bench, Oisin Foley going off after 50 mins hurt them as he had given Buckley a torrid time and landed 5 or 6 pts.

Post edited by Alonzo Moseley on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭bamayang

Post edited by bamayang on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭kksaints

Some good and some bad from today's performance. Good was the last 20 minutes and our subs, bad was our full back Tommy Walsh and Cillian Buckley been taken to the cleaners and our use of the ball for the first half and until the water break in the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭dzer2

Hard to win when you can't do a shoulder challenge without being booked

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Shamrocks really struggling in this match. Being outfought all over the field. Still might sneak it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭dzer2

Ah stop some of the softest frees ever given to st Thomas

• Registered Users Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

What a legend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

My God. What. A. Man.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,837 ✭✭✭blackcard

Lucky in the end. Long way off their best. Mullen's struggled. Thought balance of decisions went against them for most of the game

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭conor05

Ballyhale felt the loss of Ronan Corcoran today, bet well in midfield.

Still I fancy them to beat Ballygunnar.

Croker seems to suit Ballyhale.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭therealdonster

Thomas' can have no complaints. The ref gave them 4-5 let's just call them "soft" frees in scoring positions. I think Ballyhale got their first actual free of the game anywhere on the pitch just before half time which is a remarkable stat. They gave their all in fairness to them but Ballyhales superior class got them through in the end.

Ballyhale have a lot to work on though. A few lads seem to be out of form and I thought they panicked a little going all out for goal with 10-12 minutes remaining. But that is a good way to be going into a final and I hope that they get it over the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Binky333

Ballyhale lucky in the end better team lost but fair play to them never giving in. Ballygunnar look like they will be favourites in my book I’m not sure anyone can mark Dessie maybe Joey.

Regards Darren Mullan lads always bang on about him being the next Jackie and he should be on the panel he got cleaned out today. He is a loose ball hurler and even this year in the kk champo you could see that.

From the Kilkenny match Buckley is done we all know that. Not convinced on Mikey Butler last two games seems to be a back who is up the hole of the forward and never in front and then he resorts to pulling and dragging. The other consr back for OLG in county final was better and so is Jordan Molloy.

Incredible win

Thomas' were very unlucky, they outfought Shamrocks for most of match and looked to have grinded it out.

Shamrocks wont beat Ballygunner playing as poorly as they did today, but then again I dont expect them to do so, in fact I think they will fire in the final.

Thought ref was poor, and one thing refs have to start stamping out is gamesmanship. St Thomas consistently slowed the game down and killed the clock with time wasting tactics, the amount of time Conor Cooney was taking on frees (especially the two in injury time) was ludicrous. The 2nd half was littered with stopagges and 6/7 mins should have been added instead of 3.

I thought both semis were poor enough. Slaughtneil brought fire and passion but not much else. An awful lot of sledging and off the ball stuff going on and again, refs need to get on top of this crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Would Love to know how a ref is supposed to get on top of/stamp out sledging/goading…???

Unsportsmanlike Behavior is penalised in a lot of team sports. Even the testostrone fuelled NFL wallops players with penalities and fines for thrash talking etc.

A lot of mouthing happens after a free is awarded where the ref is close by and he could and should overturn frees etc. A ref will move a free 20 metres for the smallest bit of dissent so why not for hearing a player roaring peronal abuse at an opponent (often of the most vile variety). And Northern teams in particular are simply too fond of this crap.

Id sure as hell prefer to see refs penalise ignorant and personal sledging than penalise lads for clean shoulder to shoulder contact as the ref did today ludicrously with Evan Shefflin.

I think gamesmanship and players being coached and encouraged to cheat (simulation, steps and throwing being the three biggest blights at present for me) is now infesting hurling the way they have long infested gaelic football.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Yeah you ll always get guys talking and trying to get under the opponents skin. That's part of it. I don't think there's a huge issue woth it in hurling. Its not nice to see a guy shouting into another's face. It deserves a good upper cut or a yellow...either or.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Village87

Great win for Shamrocks. With TJ in your team you always have a chance of winning. His point in the first half was out of this world. Final fixed for the 13th Feb. Very short turnover time and straight into league and championship. League and Leinster championship are completed by June.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Lads, I have to say the Shamrocks didn't deserve that yesterday but it just goes to show what champions are made of. They never panic even if they didn't perform yesterday to the standards they can. What a team. Id say they will knuckle down for the final. Ronan Corcoran is 50/50 for this and it remains to be seen the extent of a few injuries yesterday.

Just on the goal at the end it was an absolute rocket. I've never seen anything like it before. The funniest thing after TJ scored was the reaction form the crowd. About 10 seats in front of us there were about 20 ballyhale young lads from about 10 to maybe 12 years of age. When the sliotar hit the back of the net it was like these young lads were on a trampoline. They were flying all over the place. Funny at the time but the shamrocks scraped through.

It'll be 50/50 for the final but if the shamrocks up they're game, which they can and need to big time, they have a great chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

It does seem that Ballyhale are fighting against the dying of the light. They are going to the well time and time again. It can't last. I see the final going 2 ways.

1. Balyhale and Ballygunner are nip and tuck with a couple of goals seeing Ballyhale run out 5 point winners. Their legacy secured

2. Ballygunner go to town on them and beat them by 10 plus.

Either way Ballyhale are the best hurling club in hurling. No question.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭conor05

If Ballyhale tie up Dessie Hutchinson to some extent that could see them home. Everything goes through him up front, I know another forward scored two goals for Ballygunnar yesterday but the fella he was marking from Slaughtneil was poor.

I can see Colin Fennelly having a field day against Barry Coughlan in the final. Not a great full back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭kilkennyboy

Yes coughlan could be the key .if ballygunner try to protect him and drop someone back

Ballyhale are best in the business at playing against that system. Colin could have big say

Advertisement