Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Be right back

Post edited by Be right back on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Hi Irish.

So it says there:

"A number of public health measures will remain in place until 28 February 2022:

requirements for mask wearing in all settings where currently regulated for" - which would suggest you still wear masks in pubs while moving around.

But then the Mask Wearing section states:

"Mask wearing will still be required in the following settings:

• public transport, taxis and at stations/airports/ports
    • retail premises (including shopping centres, libraries, cinemas, theatres, museums, post offices, banks), public offices and at premises providing specified services and businesses (incl. salons, hairdressers, travel agents, laundries, dry cleaners, bookmakers)
    • customer facing roles in premises where food and beverages are sold for consumption on the premises"

So, the last bullet suggests not required for customers in pubs. Unless they are covered by "retail premises" - in which case the list of examples missing out on pubs and restaurants is a very strange omission.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Was in two pubs in Dublin city centre yesterday.

Pub 1 - All staff has masks and people wore masks moving around

Pub 2 - No masks to be seen

So yeah. very clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Whats the story now with masks in offices? Doesn't appear to be on the below so assume employer discretion

"Mask wearing will still be required in the following settings:

• public transport, taxis and at stations/airports/ports
    • retail premises (including shopping centres, libraries, cinemas, theatres, museums, post offices, banks), public offices and at premises providing specified services and businesses (incl. salons, hairdressers, travel agents, laundries, dry cleaners, bookmakers)
    • customer facing roles in premises where food and beverages are sold for consumption on the premises"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,005 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I agree Podge, the language is a bit vague. I guess they tried to cover as much as possible, but impossible to cover everything without getting more detailed.

An interesting one for me is concerts. I'll be in the 3Arena in the beginning of February. Do I wear mask or not? As you said the first part says "where is currently regulated" but then music venues aren't mentioned further down.

I guess what will happen is people will go with the flow. Very difficult to "police" it at this point...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,122 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Mask usage has already collapsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Just caught a ‘GP’ on Brendan O’Connor enroute to my Sunday walk. She wanted the certs kept so the vaccines in her surgery won’t go to waste. Nothing about anyone acquiring immunity to Omicron over Christmas, nothing about how she’s paid per shot, nothing about how she blatantly lied stating vaccines stop Omicron spreading - they don’t. Stated certs are a good coercive tool for her practice to operate on with less booster cancellations. Sounds like someone is making a pretty penny from the vaccines and doesn’t want to return to her day job.

Perhaps she should think about returning to her job of picking up early cancers, diagnosing long term medical issues and actually treating her patients.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

In town last night. Absolutely not the carnage some were predicting.

Most places seemed busy, but "Saturday night in January" busy. Not, "end of pandemic party" busy. Didn't see anywhere bursting at the seams or with loads of people packed in at the bar.

A lot of restaurants with queues outside at six o clock, maybe just down to people not booking or not being able to book at such short notice.

Definitely some confusion around masks alright. Plenty of people coming in and out of bars and restaurants with masks on. That'll take some time to settle down. Some people may also choose to continue wearing masks regardless of the advice and that's cool.

It was certainly weird to just wander in off the street, sit down at the bar and order pints, but like slipping on an old jacket, within five minutes it all felt perfectly normal. I'd probably still not squeeze myself into a busy pub that's heaving, but I'm too old for that **** anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭fits

… there’s a lot of covid around still and a lot of people susceptible to it. I’m on day 6 now and still quite weak with it. I wouldn’t fancy getting it if unvaxed or with comorbidities.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,107 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

Went to the local fast food place last night....

All mask warning signs were removed from the front door & counter, all social distancing stickers were removed from the floor. The only indication there was a pandemic is the fact that the staff were wearing masks, which is legally required, and unfortunately most of the punters who were wearing their masks also.

I guess they were unsure of what to do, or were still afraid of killing granny, but I was served by a manager and I was not wearing a mask ( I observed with my own eyes just a few weeks ago the same manager throwing people out for not wearing masks), so I guess you don't need to wear masks in restaurants.

It's gonna take a while to pry those masks off faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Well those 14 hours yesterday will haunt my nightmares. We ran out of guinness and vodka before 9pm. Closed the bar at 11 and were still cleaning up the place after 2am. In fairness to people most were very understanding especially as for some this was their first Saturday squished up at the bar. I still have my voice so I didn't have to yell at many customers :D

One tip for people though, if you're standing 20 minutes waiting to be served don't complain about it to the bartender who hasn't so much as gotten to go for a piss in the last 7 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I could see wearing masks on public transport and in settings like big supermarkets being a thing into the distant future - which is absolutely fine, especially in wintertime when more viruses are circulating generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bosco12345

Was in a pub on camden street last night. Packed and barely any masks worn. Felt free, we have our country back, finally.

Where masks are optional, like gyms, they aren't worn.

So the people who love masks will have to focus their energies on something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Public transport is a different kettle of fish - people packed together in very close proximity. I wouldn't be surprised to see mask wearing continuing here and certainly in wintertime.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭celt262

If I was waiting 20 minutes on pint I would be out the door to a quieter spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

It’ll be nice to be able to “hear” people again. I’ve some issues with my hearing and to be quite honest the last couple of years haven’t been fun. If I’m I a noisy background, like a coffee shop with the machinery running, a busy till, or there are a lot of people talking, I sort of rely on seeing lips as a prompt to figure out what’s being said.

I’m totally at a loss when people have masks on and are often also behind Perspex. Mostly not a huge issue but sometimes I’ve absolutely no idea whatsoever what’s being said to me. So I’m often just kind of working on the basis that I assume they heard me, but if they’ve any kind of soft speech or unclear accent, I can’t make it out at all. So I just kinda agree and pay. Often end up with wrong food and all sorts of things but that’s just kinda how it’s been for me since they came in.

If you bring it up online, you’re jumped on as an example for anti maskers, so I’ve mostly just not said much about it, but it is pretty seriously frustrating.

It won’t make any difference to me in bars as I can’t hear what’s being said in those anyway. Outdoors has been brilliant for that for me as it’s less of a din. However, I’ve just never enjoyed busy pubs because I can only really have a conversation with people I’m directly opposite. If it’s a load of talking across each other is just impossible to pick each voice out, so I just tend to sit back with my pint.

It’ll be nice to be able to interact in shops again without feeling like a everyone thinks I’m a moron. I’ve even had people take their masks down so I can “hear” them as they clearly recognised I couldn’t understand them, which was even more awkward as I didn’t expect them to do that and some people get petty annoyed when they do.

I guess it just went from me being mostly unaware that I’m a bit deaf to being acutely aware of it. Most people wouldn’t have ever known I can’t hear that well, as I tend to compensate very well, but once I can’t see lips things get a lot fuzzier.

It’s like the auditory version of having your glasses on vs going around in a blur.

Anyway, just glad it’s hopefully fizzling out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭fits

I’d be similar octopod. Hate loud busy bars for that reason. If I’m going to listen to music I do t want to be talking and vice Versa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭VG31

Where? I was in Dublin city centre today and didn't see any noticeable difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,181 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Bloody moaners and complainers. Everything has reverted back to normal bar masks. But thats not good enough. Even when masks are gone they'll moan at something else.

They’ll just find something else to be paranoid about. You’re just looking at the Irish branch of Qanon / paranoiacs. The pandemic just acted like a lightening rod for them.

Back in the pre social media days they just tended to be the local weirdo, now they all get together and think they’ve found common cause.

I would actually credit them with causing me even more problems as things like clear filter masks never caught on because those morons politicised mask wearing, removing all nuance and turning it into yet more American inspired, culture war garbage, instead of just seeing at something practical and pragmatic to deal with a pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Ive seen some pathetic articles posted here throughout this, but i think we might have a winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭brickster69

6 days since a hospital admission in London for Covid.

All roads lead to Rome.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

• Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭brickster69

All roads lead to Rome.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Same here, absolutely lost for the last two years, mine is serious hearing loss due to meningitis when younger, hey but I'm alive!

I just got on with it as best I could, but even pre Covid trying to follow convos in a noisy spot was very difficult. Just my problem.

Anyway after years of trying different hearing aids which did damn all for me, I finally last year got these super duper aids called Phonak. My god my life has been transformed. The next generation of hearing aids. Phone is connected to them via bluetooth, and an app can be configured to suit your surroundings, i.e. blocking out background noise etc. It is not perfect, but as the audiologist said - it is an aid not a miracle! But what a difference. The only trouble I have now is in echoey settings, and of course the masks behind screens, but once explained, all is good.

• Advertisement

I think when RTE stopped sending out a notification about the case numbers, we knew it was over.

Gavin Riley might even stop tweeting about it soon.

Advertisement