Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shane McInerney arrested due to bad behavior on flight to NYC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

The guys a drunk egotistical arsehole. Certainly doesnt deserve 20 years but he's gonna get 2-5. Plenty of these silly 'banter' morons at his age.

Leave that for the teens ya pillock

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Has it been confirmed he took sleep pills+alcohol... i am guessing if this is the case it was not for sleep but to have an effect which seems to have worked...

Is he still out on bail... the Americans usually deal with these incidents pretty swiftly...

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭john123470

Shane Mac is pictured after getting bail - sat on the beach, glass in hand, saying how blessed he is to have a "few more months of this.."

Wtf .. he has just scuppered his career + possibly facing a lengthy jail term .. and he still doesn't get it. Maybe he's still drunk .. so that will excuse it

How would you even go about fixing him ?

Irish and their drinking habits are well known around the globe. Men and women making utter amadhans of themselves with too much drink taken - not all of course but enough to earn an unhealthy reputation. Everywhere

Recent talk of educating men about women's sensitivities - well, move number one will be putting a cork in the bottle will figure large here.

How can you expect people to behave normally - men AND women - while being plastered is socially acceptable

Governmemt can't be arsed because of the huge revenue involved

Maybe Shane deserves a good kick up the arse but this cannot have been his first outing as a man who forgot to bring his mind along for the ride ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Talk of “a few more months of this” is just bravado. He will be s**ting his togs about what might be coming for him I’d imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭connected1

It wasn't his altitude, it was his attitude that was the problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

It's an idiotic thing to do and he probably deserves a stiff punishment. Jail would seem very severe but if that's what happens, he can't really complain. When in Rome...acting the maggot on a US flight is completely brainless. Given I wasn't there, I'll leave it to the courts to decide the best punishment for him.

I was amazed to see him posting while drinking after this incident. Its not a good look. The Daily Mail also nailed him with his own social media posts about drinking. Perhaps a cautionary lesson for us all about what we put in the public domain via social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Strange things happen.

Pre 9/11 flying business class to Malaysia i took a sleeping tab.

A Bill Gates lookalike was sitting in centre row across from me.

I awoke on approach and he was sitting shivering naked in a foetal position with bent reading glasses on. Air crew then threw blanket at him.

Ceiling was spattered in blood.

Guy beside me could not believe that i had slept through. Many had removed shirts due to blood.

Basically, the guy went ballistic mid flight, stripped, fell on broken glass and was restrained until some composure returned.

Police waiting on arrival. I could not, but feel sorry for the guy. It just did not sit right if you know what i mean. Maybe he had never in his life drank spirits or whatever before, but just saying, it really seemed that whatever flipped was out of his control.

It's good that you are nuanced enough to look at the situation like that. Most people seem to have lost that ability.

I thought about him sometimes after in terms of what happened after. Hope it faired out ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

These kind of incidents are becoming too common … think it’s time to remove alcoholic drinks from the drinks menu on planes …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Get Real

As Dean Austin and John123470 have mentioned, the social media posts of being on the beach, supping drink after make it even worse.

Tbh I think in alot of these incidents that are genuine once offs, people have a chance to redeem themselves. (I'm not talking about people with numerous convictions/form for being an arse/people who just continue that behaviour)

But say for example, your brother or a mates young fella. Who you know is decent and wouldn't deliberately do that. You let them get through it, pay their pennance and move on after.

A huge red flag, is even before trial, this fella is out on bail, on the sauce. Bragging almost. No change in behaviour, no lessons learned.

I think that's the difference.

As against the odds as it is, maybe, just maybe, this fella had a million to one reaction, that he never had before. But that all goes out the window as if it was genuine, they'd be off the drink, terribly sorry, and await their fate. At least I'd accept that and give the person a second chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

I presume jail is not where he'd be heading - more likely prison (a more harrowing experience by all accounts.

One thing is for sure though - for any sort of a half favourable outcome he'd need more than a public defender, & I just hope that his family don't put themselves in debt for him.

Instead of posing with cocktails on a beach he would possibly be better off to start attending AA/NA meetings - at least by doing this he would be demonstrating his admission of having a problem, contrition etc etc instead of poor me pour me another drink.

Any sign of a go fund me appeal yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

He threatened to punch the pilot on a TA flight. For sure he deserves a prison sentence of some sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Not sure why it's double quoting but anyway

It's very easy to say you felt sorry for him after you slept through the whole incident only waking up when calm was restored.

I personally can't handle strangers blood. (Or any other bodily fluids to be fair)

I seriously don't think I could cope if I got sprayed with blood especially due to someone having a breakdown/acting the maggot.

I can only imagine how scary that was for the people sitting beside him.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Interfering with a flight crew and pretending to box a pilot on a post 9/11 American flight ? Be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

He should have got a ship to the US.

Sure, not nice, but nor would someone having a medical seizure while driving and the result to others from their loss of control.

Just saying (and being asleep probably helped), that I was able to seperate person from the problem in this instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

One of the reasons this country is riddled with dickheads is this attitude of sure he just lost the run of himself, from a good family, prison sentence would serve no purpose blah blah means you have dickheads wandering around plying their trade without let nor hindrance. You act the bollox with the yanks you'll find out why acting the bollox is a bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭HBC08

Is it true this lad is supping scoops on a beach today and putting that on twitter (I'm not in twitter)

If that's the case then he's more dumb than originally thought and is not getting or listening to good advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

My cat wasn’t his same cheerful self for weeks after he got his head stuck in the empty bean tin. Confined spaces can do terrible things to some of us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

That beach picture was uploaded a few days ago before the story became public, but still after he'd been bailed. It's not on Twitter (unless it's been subsequently deleted) but was on Instagram yesterday morning as the story broke. His Insta has since been made private, so at the very least he has the sense to know that boasting about drinking cocktails on the beach after you've been bailed probably isn't a good idea.

From those of ye who'd have a better knowledge of the US justice system than I would, is he almost certainly looking at jail? Personally I feel a deportation, job loss and ban from re-entering the US is punishment enough, but equally I wouldn't complain if he did do time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

The concerpt of a drama queen is not relevant here. You pay for your ticket on a plane to sit in your seat and have those around you do likewise. You aren't signing up for an end of rag week party in a student union, and you cannot leave. There should be zero acting the maggot on the confined environment of a plane and the penalties for this have to be increased because there are more and more reports of this crap. He should be banned from the US and from flying for life and kept in jail until he finds a ship to carry him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭beachhead

Low velocity bullet - large hole in da body and it stops.Aircraft undamaged.

Air Marshals were very common a while ago.Shane Mc I was lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Mr Burny

Wonder if he’d ever seen Oz the prison drama. You’d never set a foot wrong in the US for fear of their prison system

Can't wait for the film rights to be bought up. "Shane's on a plane."

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

If you search for his name, online, some of the tabloids have picked up photos from his social media profiles, one of which is apparently since the plane journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

He would certainly never look at a spoon the same way again

It’s an idiotic and utterly obnoxious thing to have done, but frankly so is giving someone 20 years for it, or that a passenger (as mentioned in a previous post) was feeling that they might be going to Guantanamo for a simple visa paperwork mix up. Even the fact that Guantanamo exists in the first place says it all and loads of sensible, open minded Americans and everyone else is willing to turn a blind eye to it and many, many other things. That isn’t something that any country should be aspiring towards.

As they usually say, be carful when flying into a police state, watch your Ps and Qs, don’t insult the regime or argue with police, particularly when there’s a penchant for utterly disproportionate sentencing. The 2020s US is making Robocop look like a documentary.

If many of the US practices were applied to any other country we would be reaching for the human rights protests, but big economy, twinkly lights, Hamburgers, Disneyland, Hollywood etc all seems to just allow it to slip on by without much critique.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,077 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Versus what'd happen here - "Oh, he had a tough childhood, slap on the wrist, just another in a series of convictions." Where as anonymous users we can't even talk about that poor woman who was murdered in Tullamore nor can we name her accused murderer, because, you know, no freedom of speech. Unlike in that awful police state that keeps **** at bay but has freedom of speech. And freedom of religion - unlike this utopian society in Ireland that has successfully avoided serious participation in international conflicts and as such hasn't had to deal with situations like Guantamo.

Dimwitted Shane is up on Federal charges, which are tougher, but I doubt he'll get much time. It'll be nasty for him should he end up in Federal penitentiary, but, don't do the crime if you can't do the time, it's not Ireland where you can have 213 convictions and get a suspended sentence because the lad had it tough (bulls**t story about addiction). And not one jot of regard for the 200+ people whose places he wrecked, who end up paying to fix the problems he caused, etc. etc. https://www.independent.ie/regionals/wexford/news/courts/burglar-with-over-200-previous-convictions-is-handed-a-suspended-sentence-41252718.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭Northernlily

I regret my initial post upon reflection and seeing a couple of articles about this. Seems like we are dealing with a grade A twat. A few years in the slammer should sort him.

Irish people get in a fair bit of bother abroad in the US and Australia. Much of it with drink on board. These people get away with it here due to all the "sure it was only a bit of craic" stick and general shite policing. They think they can act the same abroad....

Advertisement