Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭hopgirl

It's not even older people I have a good friend in her 30's that is fearful that stopped going out and hiding away at home in fear of catching covid. It's going to take awhile for her and anyone else to break that cycle.

The media has played a vital role in that and they should come out and apologise to everyone. As long as they filled their pockets they didn't care about the affect it had on people's mental health.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

The situation has been changing for at least a month though - they talked up omicron, ignoring data from S Africa. Just a couple of weeks ago we had Holohan declaring shopping to be ‘a high risk activity’!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,209 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

You too, I've been working since early this morning so all going well I might be able to head out this evening for dinner and a few pints.

Enjoy it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Absolute shocker the drivel RTE has been pumping out for 2 yrs and I'm forced to pay for it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,281 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I used to go walking at night during the real lockdowns too and never once was I approached by a Garda and told to go home.

I did walk past a Garda checkpoint a few times, where they would've had the opportunity to if they wanted, but they didn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭growleaves

This is now my fourth or fifth post on a semantic discussion over a single word.

I've given an account of my experience night-walking during the lockdown. Now you've given yours. Shall we leave it there so?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,640 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

ICU down to 78 this morning. 4 admissions and 8 discharges.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭TracyMartell

r/Ireland can’t let go. Every second post is about how they’re nervous about restrictions ending and how it’s only temporary until the “new variant” comes along anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Well I agree they were over cautious like i said. That's why I was hoping people would have confidence in the moving on announcement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,308 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Wear the appropriate mask recommended for you, practise social distancing and good hand hygiene, work from home unless necessary to attend in person, avoid crowds and ensure indoor spaces and public transport are ventilated by opening windows regularly.

That's Tony's twitter last Monday week!

Today, life is as it always was!!

I won't argue with the relaxation, but I can see your point!

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

Absolute nonsense and I genuinely pity people with views like yours - you are suffering Stockholm syndrome. Time to shake the fear off and get back to living.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

Don't reckon that's anything to do being fearful tbh, lots of people are going to go out and celebrate. Will that lead to some idiots making idiots of themselves? Probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I reckon the "sudden" reduction is restrictions is quite clever. People will go out as normal but there won't be a planned, epic "freedom day" party night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

From what we all understand, masks don't have to be worn in pubs anymore (apart from the staff, which seems unnecessary tbh). Confusion not helped by ads like the HSE ad in the Irish Times this morning:

FAQ

Do I still need to wear a mask?

Yes, Masks should continue to be worn on public transport and in "other appropriate" settings.

not hysteria, just take a look at the headlines next week

• Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Meanwhile, a well known covid PCR tester has an ad in the Irish Times: 

"Long Covid Health Assessment - Are you worried about the long term effects of Covid-19? 

"Our comprehensive assessment will tell you if you have antibodies for Covid 19, how well you have recovered from infection, the impact of Covid 19 on your body and your likelihood of having long Covid"  

All for €99!

Have to hand it to them. There will be a few people handing cash over now to see how the dreaded long covid is affecting them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭Cork2021

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

They have been running that one for a few weeks. Personally I think regulators should be looking at those types of claims. Going to lead to a lot of workplace disputes.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

Is it illegal to be an idiot now?

In that case many of us are in doo doo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

While I understand how 'long Covid' has become a colloquial term to describe what can happen, I'm not sure how there isn't a better actual knowledge of what it is by now. I was one of the first people to have what was most likely long Covid following a March 2020 infection. I had a range of post-viral inflammatory conditions. It was very worrisome when I experienced chest and lung difficulties 4 days after my seeming recovery as it was literally the same day that reports had come out of Korea of people testing positive after recovery and media speculation about Covid being a chronic condition was absolutely rife. But over the next few weeks the Korean investigation showed that their PCRs were picking up dead viral fragments and that as the virus didn't penetrate the host nucleus it was very unlikely to be a chronic condition. I was eventually diagnosed with pleurisy in my right lung, costochondritis, post viral-thyroiditis (which had caused the strangest symptoms including the mild myocarditis), esophagitis and a few other problems that were a mix of post-viral and medication side effects. I was essentially convalescent for 3 months and at about 80-90% but still needing to make adaptations for another 6 months. And I was left with severe insomnia which weirdly enough seems to have nearly disappeared following an Omicron infection 2 weeks ago.

But 'long Covid' is no mystery. It's mainly just a collection of the regular normal post-viral conditions that can come after any virus when the immune system overreacts to a threat. Some viruses cause them more than other, Glandular Fever is well known for it, for example. Covid was a novel virus, so it wasn't unusual for an awful lot of people's immune systems to overreact. People should just have been told to take it easy following infection and even if you fee well, ease back into heavy physical activity. I jumped straight back in to high levels of exercise once I felt better and I triggered problems. If I'd been more sensible and chilled out for a couple of weeks, I'd probably have avoided 'long Covid.' With my initial infection I never felt sick, I had breathing problems when I rested, breathing was harder work but I felt otherwise ok. Once I recovered, I felt full of energy, which led me to thinking I was fine to get back to normal and my normal includes a lot of exercise. With Omicron, I had an obvious cold, with achey muscles for a day or two, then felt weak and jelly like for another while, with constant on and off headaches. I was really tired in spite of getting more sleep each night than I had in nearly two years. It's like a normal illness and one where I feel more in tune with how it's actually affecting me. I feel like I can trust myself to know what activities I'm capable of and feel much less likely to cause post-viral inflammation. People just need to be told to rest after a Covid infection but tbh, I suspect that Omicron isn't going to trigger as much post-viral problems, especially as it's no longer a novel virus to the vaccinated majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,281 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

You have absolutely no idea what sacrifices myself or my family have had to make because of the pandemic restrictions. So unless you do, you can keep those kind of comments to yourself, Dannyboy.

I never heard of the NI Gorilla war before. Where was that, Belfast Zoo?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

No absolutely not, work away 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 30,372 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

When they say mask wearing will continue for

• Customer facing roles in premises where food and beverages are sold for consumption on the premises

What exactly is this setting?

I know I'm being a bit thick now.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Vaccinated30

People who work in McDonald's, Eddie rockets etc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭Ficheall

The doom mongers in question presumably being those complaining how restrictions were never going to be eased, how Tony was just trying to take over the world, and how their lives were over?

I actually feel a little bit sorry for the people who actually thought that society as we know it will change forever. People will very quickly go back to the things that make life more enjoyable.

I also imagine MM is delighted. He got to give the good news and will leave the fallout to Leo.

• Advertisement

Things will get back to normal for those that want to in my experience.

Masks are a great example.

People will put them on mainly not to cause hassle in a shop in my experience.

They are then thrown in the car, pocket, etc and reused. It isnt really about staying safe at this stage.

Even the thread on here only really have a few people interested in then.

Advertisement