Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford University discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Deiseen

I didn't mean it as a bash. Just pointing out the realities, as we have people on here trumpeting its qualities and how it is on equal footing with WIT when its just not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭imacman

Yes, I get that, and I have sone the same myself many times, but I feel that its shouting into the void now. I have come to the conclusion the TU is inevitable and we need to make the best of it and get the most out of it. WIT has always been in the two top ITs in the country along with CIT so it has the potential to be one of the best TUs in the country

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

I admire your optimism but I can't see TUSE been a success with scattered campuses across the South East and lack of funding.

Post edited by Finnbar01 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭914

Dr Ray Griffin was very good on Déise Today yesterday (that sounds odd!) as always.

Citing funding issue, lack of courses and unsure if TU will address these issues.

Strong but depressing stuff on the TU from the Phoenix this week

https://waterford-news.ie/2021/11/30/phoenix-into-the-abyss/

• Advertisement

Pretty damming and hard to disagree with phoenix here.

I'm always amazed how our local politicians seem to brush Ray Griffen aside, a man who has spent his life in higher education as a student and lecturer.

A man who knows the ins and out of it all and yet not one of our representatives have ever said, Ray has done a lot of work on this and he is right without the funding TUSE is a waste.

For the life of me I can't see how this is a "game changer" for the South East.

Politicians seem to believe the name change on the parchment will be the "game changer". Will anyone who got a first class honours from and IT be worse off than anyone who gets a first class honours from a TU? I highly doubt it.

Completely agree this whole game changer narrative has gone on about all the new TU's. It's sad to see the likes of IBEC and local businesses completely buy into the TU idea with no investigation about how it will work and what actual benefits it will bring. It's like they have all decided that there is no other game in town and we will cross out fingers and hope for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭BBM77

“all decided that there is no other game in town and we will cross out fingers and hope for the best”

I guess that is somewhat understandable considering the way national politics/government treats Waterford.

Also notice that talk of purchasing the old Waterford crystal site had died as soon as the merge was confirmed. Cummins also has done another disappearing act.

Post edited by BBM77 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭gw80

Just on the old waterford crystal site, has it been made to look as dilapidated as possible for some reason, are the owners hoping that the more run down it looks that it will have to be addressed quicker?.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

South East University will be for people who couldn't get into ucc/ucd/tcd/dit. Why would anyone do a course there when there are similar but better ones in other colleges. If they offered a degree in a unique course like physical anthropology that would make it stand out.

• Advertisement

We'll be lucky we don't lose courses let alone gain new ones.

Will they lose that music degree for students who can't read music.

I'm sure if you are from Carlow Kilkenny or Wexford you will have an advantage in that process. Being from Waterford will be a red flag and the CV will go in the bin.

Not sure it will make much of a difference anyway....

"In making nominations, and in line with best practice as set out in the Guidelines on Appointments to State Boards, it should be noted that it is open to the Minister to consider suitable nominees other than those identified through this process, provided his preferred nominee meets the specified criteria"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

perhaps the 12k pa rent for the universities that you referenced might be a deciding factor…..

More waffle from the Minister, still no talk of actual funding or a plan of how "transformative" this TU will be

At least he actually spoke to people in Waterford this time, all be it virtually, hard to believe he hasn't stepped foot in Waterford but has is Carlow, Kilkenny and Wexford several times

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Agree, complete BS. He again emphasised the point “expand the footprint in Waterford”. He did not commit to anything other than that.

Post edited by BBM77 on

• Advertisement

I'd see this as a dig at Waterford

“I know funding for Wexford has been ring-fenced, much to the annoyance of people outside of Wexford who seem to think it’s their divine right to all the money available. But I think it’s important that we see things move along sooner rather than later.”

If it is a dig, it's just proving that TUSE is going to be full of in house fighting

Doesn't Wexford already have a campus that's not going so good?

True and the solution is to throw 50 odd million at it and expand it. Only way it works is relocating a school from either Carlow or Waterford and purely aim it at mature students/part time students who may have families and not want to travel.

Absolutely I have to say the delusions of grandeur of the Wexford politicians is staggering. If they want a campus let them put forward a business case of building facilities in Wexford rather than using that money to expand Carlow and Waterford. Of course, they will never do that as the IT Carlow campus has been a massive loss maker and the numbers aren't there to justify a campus.

There's a reason it's called TUSEI and not TUWI.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭invara

It was interesting hearing all the TDs and the Senator being interviewed on WLR last week- they all appear despondent at the chance of any game-changers moving forward in the region. Last week KK council heard that the N24 (60km Cahir-Waterford road) was shelved for lack of funding, WIT's PPP appears to be on hold (nothing announced since last June talks being held, one can only assume that construction inflation has wrecked that long-delayed plan), the airport is trying to cling on to SAR, NQ is now in bits, hospital muddles on at the back of the funding queue.

In the next few weeks, the board will be announced for TUSE, perhaps the brand, maybe even the crystal site etc. Given the tenor of politicians interviews, hopes are very low that any of this will be positive.

Post edited by invara on

Why is Waterford obsessed with a uni. There are lots of good jobs without a degree. Solicitor, accountant, pilot, retail manager, psychotherapist.

And why are Kilkenny and Wexford obsessed with having university campuses when they know those campuses would be nothing but money pits and white elephants?

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭invara

Good point. Well worth reheating the argument.

Universities have an income of €18k per student, IoTs/TUs are closer to €9k. That additional money is spent on research, enterprise support and better services for students. Based on that WIT and ITCarlow's joint income would rise from the current level of around €125m to €250m, higher education has an economic multiplier of 4.3, so that would give an economic impact of €540m. To be clear- this is money students in Galway, Limerick, Cork and Dublin have spent on them, and students in the SE are deprived of (because of the historical status of their institutions)- they put up with substandard buildings and services.

Universities can borrow to build new buildings (and do, the 7 universities collectively owe €800-900m). IoTs and TUs cannot borrow (and so WIT could not buy the crystal even though it was going for a song in 2012).

Universities have greater freedom to add new programmes. The SE has 40% of the higher ed capacity- around 8k level 8 places, we need 18k-20k places to halt the brain drain. This is mainly by adding new academic fields such as medicine and teacher training- we only have half the CAO choices that other regions have.

There are good jobs without a degree, but the average income of a person without a degree is €47k pa, without a degree is €23k. Two of your examples involve degree equivalent training (most solicitors under 45 have a degree, same with accountants). I remember Ivan Yates speaking to my students a number of years ago- talking up the school of life, one of my students asked him if his children went to college (they did), he got a large friendly jeer from the students.

These are the main reasons. Our higher unemployment rate, lower incomes and job quality, brain drain (and missing generation of 20-45yr olds), lower GDP are why this is an obsession. UL lifted the whole midwest out of poverty, a properly funded university would transform this region in a decade.

Post edited by invara on

• Advertisement

A better question is. Why is national and regional politics so obsessed with stopping Waterford getting a university? Even though there is a demonstrable need for one.

Advertisement