Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help please! Trying to set up a home Wi-Fi access point for the first time

Options
  • 15-01-2022 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi All,

Hoping to get a steer - I am a Virgin Media customer living in an 'old build' house and the signal is pretty awful in some rooms.

I have tried Wi-Fi boosters and they have just been OK. Connecting to my phone's hotspot has usually been more stable.

I am planning on purchasing a Wi-Fi access point so I can run a cable directly from my router (under the floor) into another part of the house.

I have never done anything like this before... so I have some (probably stupid!) questions...

(1) Will this work OK connecting a RJ45 CAT6 cable directly from my Virgin Media Router?

(2) If I buy a device (e.g. TP-Link AX1800) will this be powered directly by this cable (PoE) or will I need another power source?

(3) Will I need to buy a crimping tool to cut the cable and how easy is this to do?

Thanks in advance for any time/suggestions/recommendations on this!

Comments

Advertisement