Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Help please! Trying to set up a home Wi-Fi access point for the first time

• 15-01-2022 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28 RedPete

Hi All,

Hoping to get a steer - I am a Virgin Media customer living in an 'old build' house and the signal is pretty awful in some rooms.

I have tried Wi-Fi boosters and they have just been OK. Connecting to my phone's hotspot has usually been more stable.

I am planning on purchasing a Wi-Fi access point so I can run a cable directly from my router (under the floor) into another part of the house.

I have never done anything like this before... so I have some (probably stupid!) questions...

(1) Will this work OK connecting a RJ45 CAT6 cable directly from my Virgin Media Router?

(2) If I buy a device (e.g. TP-Link AX1800) will this be powered directly by this cable (PoE) or will I need another power source?

(3) Will I need to buy a crimping tool to cut the cable and how easy is this to do?

Thanks in advance for any time/suggestions/recommendations on this!

Comments

Advertisement