Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Book Of Boba Fett - Disney+ (**Spoilers**)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,670 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Well that was SyFy bad level - is there an actual story editor on the show or are they just throwing whatever ideas come into the writers heads in each episode

The CGI is going from bad to ridiculous

And you know when you're hiring Danny Trejo you're getting minimum budget quality stuff

Even the main lead is as interesting as watching paint dry

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Username exists

Why did they not ask the wookie to join their gang? Instead they got two fat pigs.

The poor street kids with their shiny vespa speeders was ridiculous and the car chase was a bit like watching Simpsons Hit and Run on the PS2.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

But we'll get Boba riding a rancor into town in the last episode for a showdown with the mayor / hutts/someone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,403 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Those bikes, christ those bikes.

What were they thinking, this is Brighton beach in the 1960's.

I really hate Disney sometimes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Jaysus; I haven't even got around to episode 2, and the way episode 3 is getting a thorough shellacking doesn't make me especially eager to return to Tatoinne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

The episode was ok, but the bike chase was just so... slow! It reminded me of the Simpsons, "he's gradually getting away chief!"

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

Decent enough episode, nice to see a Rancor, Danny Trejo could be an interesting character... but that bike gang .. jesus, they look like cheap Marvel characters.

They seem really out of place in the SW universe...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,297 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I really enjoyed the first two episodes of this show. Last night's was OK too but not as good as the first two episodes. The bike gang I thought was very strange the bikes looked so out of place. You would have to wonder what they were thinking there. Oh its not colourful enough let's add some colour lol.

Overall O am enjoying the show do and I am suspicious of the twins gift of a Rancor to Boba Fett. I think it has been programmed or trained to kill him but I could be wrong.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,297 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Maybe because they did not think they could trust him after what he tried to do.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,988 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I thought episodes 1 and 2 were average at best.

Episode 3 dropped badly in standard imho. It just seems to be going nowhere, and slowly at that. The introduction of the biker gang was a real low point.

Not sure what they are trying to portray Fett as. He is meant to be a crime lord/badass, but no sign of it so far.

I may not be the target market any more for these shows, but as a teen during the original films, Fett was such a great character. Like badder than bad, despite his brief appearances and silly exit.

This series I expected to be a bit darker, grittier than Mando, with loads more fighting and action. But it's just silly so far. Any action up to now has been badly done.

If it wasn't SW universe, I would stop watching at this point .

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I had a few reservations after the first two episodes, but saw some reactions from hardcore fans and felt a bit better. Episode 3 however is just too much of the meh factor. Pop up biker gang, slow moving chases, ropey CGI and a very weak Boba Fett. It reminds me a bit of Band of Brothers and The Pacific when it came out, everybody thinking the latter would be just as good as the former. The same applies here IMHO with Mando being Band of Brothers if you get me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Everyone calling Vespa Gang a biker gang 😁😂🤣

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Well in retrospect, they are like mobility scooters more than anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

I wanted to like it but the the vespa smarties gang felt forced in non forced fashion. It reminded me of the filler spiders episode on Mando season 2, albeit the x wing chase was a actually decent.

Have the Twins gone back to Hutta to get permission to assassinate at will and recover Jabbas gaff? Is the Rancor a trojan horse? Where's the ninja girl Tusken? Or the kid Tusken assigned to him? Where is the Slave 1? Where is the Mayor? What did he do to the Biker Gang? Who really is the baddie? When will he go completely ham on someone or something? Hopefully Ep 4 is more of bagass Boba and less Flower Pot 1970s Boba

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Where's the ninja girl Tusken? Or the kid Tusken assigned to him?

They are dead. they showed this in the flashback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,666 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Im going to watch the series when its all out, getting the feeling that there are mixed opinions about the show and that it wont be as good as Manalorian.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

I was enjoying the first two but E03 was just daft, it seemed they had thrown stuff in just to make it more "Disney" ... HOW SLOW WAS THAT CHASE???

Anyway, lets hope it ramps up a bit in E04, it really needs to.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

Good point about the rancor being a trojan horse. the way Trejo said "he'll be back" his grin looked dubious ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,215 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I was wondering the same myself, that maybe it's the Hutts' long-term plan since the Wookie failed. But I also think it might become a thing where Boba does actually manage to tame the Rancor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Advertisement

So, if Mando is set in Tattooine (more or less, yes I know he was flying around different planets), and Boba Fett is set in Tattooine... the Kenobi show will probably be set in Tattooine...

Are they getting a discount on the sets or something? I for one wouldn't mind seeing some other locations. The flashbacks to Kamino were refreshing as it was a break from the desert.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I wouldn't agree about Mando - that show has visited plenty of other planets, really putting those LED "sets" to good work - but agree on the rest. Already moaned about it here anyway myself but yup, the desert gets a little repetitive and then some.

It would run a little counter to the low-fi style of Star Wars, but it would be exciting to visit the upper echelons of the galaxy for a spell. The Last Jedi - and I realise I'm playing with fire invoking that film - hinted at it with the scenes on Camino. There's great story potential there; cos yeah, in a galaxy endlessly at war there'd be a humungous industry fuelling those conflicts.

Or indeed: can we please visit Coruscant again sometime? With or without death sticks, it's fine. lol.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I think a lot of SW iconography is inextricably linked to the desert which if not Tatooine usually ends up being some other world that looks a lot like Tatooine. And then there's the mythology which tends to lead them back there too.

True. For good or bad, Star Wars is driven more by visual iconography than some core idea IMO; Tatoinne being a key pillar within that set of visual tropes. But when the show or films do stray away from Tatoinne (or the Mexican, non-union equivalents), it's always a thrill to visit other planets all the same. Often themselves a distinct, extreme biome (Hoth, Manda's lava planet etc.)

It's set in space though. The best parts of Mando were when he was on a space ship or space station. The Imperial uniforms / style of base is also an important part of SW iconography, that grey / black colour scheme. More of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,602 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I think Lucas was mainly a visual set piece director. He seems to string his movies together with Visual set pieces. Plot and story are secondary.

Great comparison with BoBand Pacific.

First was great show, very entertaining. With Pacific I think I stopped watching it at episode 4. Never went back to it.

As I said, only think I'm persevering with Fett because it's Star Wars and no other reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,488 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Clearly the episode was referencing the George Costanza bike chase.

In fairness the wookie was epic .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Weak episode alright. The wookie and seeing the Rankor were the only highlights. Nice tease though that Boba might ride the Rankor. As others have also said, it's getting extra forgiveness for being Star Wars. If this was an original series not tied to Star Wars I'd probably be dropping off now. I didn't even watch it until Friday whereas with Mando I'd watch it on release night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭flazio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

That kinda makes the scene feel more fast paced than I remember 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭xper

I think Boba may have developed a dislike of Wookies somehow.

Yeah, after a fairly pedestrian but okay episode 1 and 2 (though I think I nodded off momentarily and missed out of the train attack so need to go back and check that out again), episode 3 was a sharp downturn. I'm used to SW introducing cardboard side characters with a single line of dialog to establish a possibly life-endangering bond to the hero/protagonist so the recruitment of the biker gang I took on the chin.

But Jesus, that space-vespa chase was desperate. The multi-colour gleaming bikes were a jarring these-are-only-here-to-sell-toys moment that, again, is something that happens in SW/Disney now and again but the execution of the chase is just unforgivably bad film making. At one point in it there was a side-on shot and I immediately thought of Dougal on the milk float - there's no going back from that, the episode was ruined for me.

The virtual sets they came up with for The Mandalorian were outstanding but across all three episodes in this series so far there have been several scenes where you could really perceive the join between the physical set and the digital background. Maybe knowing how its being done now is part of it but I wonder, with the proliferation of SW shows in planning, has the talent/budget/time being assigned to creating these scenes been diluted. Also, I am not sure how much of the chase was fully CGI and how much was on set but I wonder was the virtual set dimensions or rendering capability of the live background a constraining factor in the slow speed of the action that ended up on screen?

I am a bit meh about Temuera Morrison's performance as well. To be honest, Pedro (or his stand-ins) showed more emotion with the bloody helmet on all the time than this guy does without it. And I suspect that at 61 he's not really up to some of the action scenes.

That said, there are positives - the At Home With The Tuskens storyline was well done and some of the characters and locations around Tatooine have been made interesting which is an achievement considering how much time we have spent on this rock.

I'll keep watching to the end because its Star Wars and its only a few episodes but it'll need to pick up something seriously for me to be petitioning Disney for a second season.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

For all the blame about Disney and SW, I am getting more firm in the belief that SW are missing some level of oversight from Disney or a stronger figure in Lucasfilm someone that just says no to ridiculous things, like the vespa chase. SW in general struggles with trying to keep the 'look' of the CGI from the originals so even if the concept wasn't as stupid, it was going to be incredibly difficult to pull off with those limitations.

Overall, I've found the show fine but hasn't given me a reason to get past my original skepticism that it was of any value when other stories could have been told. Seems like they were just opening themselves up to another bout of 'Not my Luke' complaints from fans who had made their own mental story for the character and were never going to buy into the story

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,305 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I have finally remembered who the mobility scooter gang reminded me off....

Who ever dreamed up the Vesta Gang hasn't a clue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,542 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

LOL

Still haven't watched Ep3 yet (which says everything about my enthusiasm level for the show I spose) but, my god, that vespa gang chase isn't half getting a bollocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭Glebee

Ep 3 started off ok and then Vespa gang thing was just silly. Its Disney just cashing in on Star Wars I fear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,305 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Didn't I see Rodriguez's name at the end of episode 3?

The same guy who used to do excellent stuff with Tarantino?

Jez, he should be embarrassed to have his name associated with that episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,728 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Vesta gang was absolutely stupid.

As was wiping out the Tusken Raiders, especially after fleshing them all out and building it up.

I liked the Rancor.

Not the best episode.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

The killing of the Tuskan's was ridiculous. This seemed in some way to echo Luke's experience of the Storm Troopers killing his adopted family, but in this instance it was a biker gang (dafuq has that got to do with SW?) who slaughtered a Tuskan camp. Tuskan's, a warrior-like tribe of people who have existed for generations in a harsh desert environment and have leaned to survive the brutatility of the planet. All wiped out, and not one dead biker that I can recall seeing?

It was a lazy and farcical plot line and another moment of eye rolling in a very poor episode.

Anoter thing, at their first meeting Fett should have put a laser bolt through at least one of the power ranger-borgs to show them that he means business and is not to be messed with, preferably the cockney gobshite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,215 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Jabba ruled with fear. Boba intends to rule with respect.

I think if he'd shot one of the bikers to show he's not to be messed with, he would have turned people against him. I mean, don't get me wrong, the biker gang suck and from what we've seen of them so far I'd be more than happy to see all of them get shot in increasingly violent and hilarious ways, but I think it would have gone against what Boba wants to achieve.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Didn't think it was the Vespa Mods who took out the Tuskens, thought they were just stealing from the moisture trader?

The Tuskens were taken out by the other dirty bike gang who were linked with the train hijacking I thought?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

That's them, they conveniently left their calling card on the tent so as to leave no doubt who did it. They are also the ones who Fett knocked about pretty much single handedly thereby showing them to be a fairly low level bunch of thugs. Certainly no match for well trained and skilled Tuskan's (fresh from their victory over the spice train escapde and equipped with speeder bikes of their own).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Its just a poorly thought through Disney money making machine.

I said it after episode one - Very slow , and not very interesting, riddled with 'silly' bits.

The only thing going for these series, incl The Mandalorian, are the sets, costumes and creatures.

At least they are in keeping with the 'real' Star Wars.

What in the name of Yoda , will Kenobi be like ??? 🙄

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

Part of me thinks that the hierarchy of Disney have a deep subconscious hatred of Star Wars, the original trilogy. They probably never got over the fact how successful it was at creating a cultural mythos fairytale especially in the likes of the USA during the late 70's/early 80's and for the first time in that sort of fairytale realm Disney had nothing to do with it (or the vast amounts of money made from it). I'd say they were livid back then. Now its time for revenge, buy the rights, steal all the best bits and literally $hit on top of everything else. Because that's what has happened.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,810 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I haven't either but the commentary is reminding my of this Star Wars-referencing routine by posh Brit standup Simon Evans

All I am saying, is it wise as a society that we choose to reward this excessive level of corpulence with subsidised transport?And I'm not talking about the odd bus pass. I'm talking about these three-wheeled electrical 'obesycles', I call them. I don't know if that is the correct term. You've seen them. Mobility scooters - they were designed for the elderly and infirm but they have been hijacked recently. Not literally, I hope. My God, that would be a long-winded and tedious crime to watch unfold if it is going on. Somehow, they've got hold of them. They look ridiculous. The first one I saw - he was so vast, he appeared to be hovering up the street. He concealed the vehicle entirely. He looked like Jabba the Hutt on a magic carpet. I thought, "No wonder you've put on a few pounds. You've mastered the art of levitation - you won't burn off many calories that way." It's only when I saw a wire basket glinting between his thighs and his right trouser leg started flashing orange as he turned into Greggs, I realised what was going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭flazio

After just 1 episode of Boba Fett? Just calm down.

• Advertisement
Advertisement