Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Book Of Boba Fett - Disney+ (**Spoilers**)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I had a few reservations after the first two episodes, but saw some reactions from hardcore fans and felt a bit better. Episode 3 however is just too much of the meh factor. Pop up biker gang, slow moving chases, ropey CGI and a very weak Boba Fett. It reminds me a bit of Band of Brothers and The Pacific when it came out, everybody thinking the latter would be just as good as the former. The same applies here IMHO with Mando being Band of Brothers if you get me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Everyone calling Vespa Gang a biker gang 😁😂🤣

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Well in retrospect, they are like mobility scooters more than anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

I wanted to like it but the the vespa smarties gang felt forced in non forced fashion. It reminded me of the filler spiders episode on Mando season 2, albeit the x wing chase was a actually decent.

Have the Twins gone back to Hutta to get permission to assassinate at will and recover Jabbas gaff? Is the Rancor a trojan horse? Where's the ninja girl Tusken? Or the kid Tusken assigned to him? Where is the Slave 1? Where is the Mayor? What did he do to the Biker Gang? Who really is the baddie? When will he go completely ham on someone or something? Hopefully Ep 4 is more of bagass Boba and less Flower Pot 1970s Boba

• Registered Users Posts: 40,180 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Where's the ninja girl Tusken? Or the kid Tusken assigned to him?

They are dead. they showed this in the flashback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Im going to watch the series when its all out, getting the feeling that there are mixed opinions about the show and that it wont be as good as Manalorian.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

I was enjoying the first two but E03 was just daft, it seemed they had thrown stuff in just to make it more "Disney" ... HOW SLOW WAS THAT CHASE???

Anyway, lets hope it ramps up a bit in E04, it really needs to.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

Good point about the rancor being a trojan horse. the way Trejo said "he'll be back" his grin looked dubious ..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,282 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I was wondering the same myself, that maybe it's the Hutts' long-term plan since the Wookie failed. But I also think it might become a thing where Boba does actually manage to tame the Rancor.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,180 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

So, if Mando is set in Tattooine (more or less, yes I know he was flying around different planets), and Boba Fett is set in Tattooine... the Kenobi show will probably be set in Tattooine...

Are they getting a discount on the sets or something? I for one wouldn't mind seeing some other locations. The flashbacks to Kamino were refreshing as it was a break from the desert.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I wouldn't agree about Mando - that show has visited plenty of other planets, really putting those LED "sets" to good work - but agree on the rest. Already moaned about it here anyway myself but yup, the desert gets a little repetitive and then some.

It would run a little counter to the low-fi style of Star Wars, but it would be exciting to visit the upper echelons of the galaxy for a spell. The Last Jedi - and I realise I'm playing with fire invoking that film - hinted at it with the scenes on Camino. There's great story potential there; cos yeah, in a galaxy endlessly at war there'd be a humungous industry fuelling those conflicts.

Or indeed: can we please visit Coruscant again sometime? With or without death sticks, it's fine. lol.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I think a lot of SW iconography is inextricably linked to the desert which if not Tatooine usually ends up being some other world that looks a lot like Tatooine. And then there's the mythology which tends to lead them back there too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

True. For good or bad, Star Wars is driven more by visual iconography than some core idea IMO; Tatoinne being a key pillar within that set of visual tropes. But when the show or films do stray away from Tatoinne (or the Mexican, non-union equivalents), it's always a thrill to visit other planets all the same. Often themselves a distinct, extreme biome (Hoth, Manda's lava planet etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

It's set in space though. The best parts of Mando were when he was on a space ship or space station. The Imperial uniforms / style of base is also an important part of SW iconography, that grey / black colour scheme. More of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,627 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I think Lucas was mainly a visual set piece director. He seems to string his movies together with Visual set pieces. Plot and story are secondary.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,112 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Great comparison with BoBand Pacific.

First was great show, very entertaining. With Pacific I think I stopped watching it at episode 4. Never went back to it.

As I said, only think I'm persevering with Fett because it's Star Wars and no other reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Clearly the episode was referencing the George Costanza bike chase.

In fairness the wookie was epic .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Weak episode alright. The wookie and seeing the Rankor were the only highlights. Nice tease though that Boba might ride the Rankor. As others have also said, it's getting extra forgiveness for being Star Wars. If this was an original series not tied to Star Wars I'd probably be dropping off now. I didn't even watch it until Friday whereas with Mando I'd watch it on release night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭flazio

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

That kinda makes the scene feel more fast paced than I remember 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭xper

I think Boba may have developed a dislike of Wookies somehow.

Yeah, after a fairly pedestrian but okay episode 1 and 2 (though I think I nodded off momentarily and missed out of the train attack so need to go back and check that out again), episode 3 was a sharp downturn. I'm used to SW introducing cardboard side characters with a single line of dialog to establish a possibly life-endangering bond to the hero/protagonist so the recruitment of the biker gang I took on the chin.

But Jesus, that space-vespa chase was desperate. The multi-colour gleaming bikes were a jarring these-are-only-here-to-sell-toys moment that, again, is something that happens in SW/Disney now and again but the execution of the chase is just unforgivably bad film making. At one point in it there was a side-on shot and I immediately thought of Dougal on the milk float - there's no going back from that, the episode was ruined for me.

The virtual sets they came up with for The Mandalorian were outstanding but across all three episodes in this series so far there have been several scenes where you could really perceive the join between the physical set and the digital background. Maybe knowing how its being done now is part of it but I wonder, with the proliferation of SW shows in planning, has the talent/budget/time being assigned to creating these scenes been diluted. Also, I am not sure how much of the chase was fully CGI and how much was on set but I wonder was the virtual set dimensions or rendering capability of the live background a constraining factor in the slow speed of the action that ended up on screen?

I am a bit meh about Temuera Morrison's performance as well. To be honest, Pedro (or his stand-ins) showed more emotion with the bloody helmet on all the time than this guy does without it. And I suspect that at 61 he's not really up to some of the action scenes.

That said, there are positives - the At Home With The Tuskens storyline was well done and some of the characters and locations around Tatooine have been made interesting which is an achievement considering how much time we have spent on this rock.

I'll keep watching to the end because its Star Wars and its only a few episodes but it'll need to pick up something seriously for me to be petitioning Disney for a second season.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,032 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

For all the blame about Disney and SW, I am getting more firm in the belief that SW are missing some level of oversight from Disney or a stronger figure in Lucasfilm someone that just says no to ridiculous things, like the vespa chase. SW in general struggles with trying to keep the 'look' of the CGI from the originals so even if the concept wasn't as stupid, it was going to be incredibly difficult to pull off with those limitations.

Overall, I've found the show fine but hasn't given me a reason to get past my original skepticism that it was of any value when other stories could have been told. Seems like they were just opening themselves up to another bout of 'Not my Luke' complaints from fans who had made their own mental story for the character and were never going to buy into the story

• Registered Users Posts: 31,974 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I have finally remembered who the mobility scooter gang reminded me off....

Who ever dreamed up the Vesta Gang hasn't a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,956 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

LOL

Still haven't watched Ep3 yet (which says everything about my enthusiasm level for the show I spose) but, my god, that vespa gang chase isn't half getting a bollocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭Glebee

Ep 3 started off ok and then Vespa gang thing was just silly. Its Disney just cashing in on Star Wars I fear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,974 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Advertisement