Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Game News 2.0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,962 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Speaking of GAAS and the latest tranche of AAA games having short lifespans, I pretty much only bought Game Pass for FH5, and I'm getting kind of bored of it already. Sure, it has its fun parts (especially when I use my wheel for some hooning), but I already feel railroaded into grinding out weekly quests to get exclusive cars. It doesn't help that cars from previous games get reintroduced as DLC.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The latest in, "no no, NFTs aren't a scam, honest!" ... the sooner this obvious fad burns itself out and we can move onto the next digital snake oil, the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,197 ✭✭✭✭Penn

CD Projekt Red supposedly working on a new single-player Gwent game

They already have Gwent as a multiplayer game, as well as the single-player Thronebreaker. I'm not sure how they'll make this so hugely different to warrant it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,100 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

‘It Takes Two’ Developer Hazelight Studios Teams With dj2 Entertainment to Adapt Game for Film, TV (EXCLUSIVE)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

• Advertisement

tHeRe's nO WaY ThEy CaN mAkE dEsTiNy eXcLuSiVe

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I doubt that this is the last big deal of the year, sadly. Should the mods turn the MS/Activision thread into a general acquisition and consolidation thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,901 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I thought they were an xbox studio? Looking them up, they make destiny, hhhmmm interesting times.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,707 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

This is all getting a bit grim now IMO. It’s really not a positive thing that all these once independent companies (albeit once not independent in Bungie’s case!) are being bought up by platform holders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

A lot more difficult than with MS/Activision to do so. Can't see it happening myself unless they scupper Destiny 2 for a third game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,100 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Sony Interactive Entertainment today announced a deal to acquire Bungie for $3.6 billion, the latest in a string of big-ticket consolidation deals in the games industry.

After the deal closes, Bungie will be "an independent subsidiary" of SIE run by a board of directors consisting of current CEO and chairman Pete Parsons and the rest of the studio's current management team.

Sony has said Bungie will remain a multiplatform studio, with the option "to self-publish and reach players wherever they choose to play."

At present, the studio is working on maintaining Destiny 2, expanding the Destiny franchise, and working on new IP.

"We've had a strong partnership with Bungie since the inception of the Destiny franchise, and I couldn't be more thrilled to officially welcome the studio to the PlayStation family," said SIE president and CEO Jim Ryan.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,816 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

3.6 billion is kind of outrageous.

I mean what ip have they got, destiny, myth, marathon path ways to darkness and fecking oni....

I'm not so sure. If you think about it, they've reached full growth. COD has been the same COD for years/decades. Destiny has been the same old destiny since it started. I'm not sure the studios can continue to grow and that's why we are seeing this. If it means I've to buy both an Xbox and a PS then so what. Or if GPU's ever become available and affordable again switch to PC where I can play everything. We know Destiny will be console exclusive but I wonder will they remove it from PC, or have Bungie secured PC releases as part of the deal?

Game is staying multi platform and they retain the right to self publish content. Tbh, this isn't a bad deal for Bungie giving them financial stability a essentially a second party developer.

That's possitive, but I'd like to see the small print. I mean what's in it for Sony? Maybe the Movie rights LOLZ :-D

Does "multiplatform" include Xbox, or are they just referring to PC there. Who knows? Until the deal closes, it's all just smoke and mirrors, same as with the Bethesda and Activision deals.

As I said in the Activision thread, I'd like this wave of consolidation to stop now, please. Sadly, I have the feeling that this is not the end.

Wonder how it'll go long term. Bungie didn't like being in under MS, forced there way, then they didn't like being close to Activision, cut that deal short, now bought out by Sony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Think if Sony pulled Destiny from Xbox it could start a tit-for-tat fight that I think Sony would suffer more in.

Interesting move and a statement from Sony. Really thought that buying Square-Enix would be their first big move, but if Bungie are valued at $3.6billion, then Square might be too pricey.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It is getting quite similar to non digital capitalism where basically any major, household brand is owned by about 10 companies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,197 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Really not sure this is a smart move by Sony. Obviously not done in response to MS buying ActivisionBlizzard, given how long such deals take to agree, but Bungie? For that price? And not take them exclusive?

Don't get me wrong, hugely talented studio, and Destiny is a great game once there's enough content released rather than what the games are like at launch. But I really don't see the huge benefit to this deal.

Either way, I really dislike the growing shift to studio acquisitions. At this point I'm on the lookout for a Series X so it won't affect me regardless, but it's just getting dirty.

I don't mind buying smaller, talented studios and help to build them up, but buying bigger studios just feels wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,917 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

We won't see the benefits of all these acquisitions for another 2-3 years.

In about 6 months all the top leaders in these studios will be "leaving to work on passion projects". They will bring with them the top skilled individuals from those studios as they set up new studios.

Then we will get loads of new IP just as Gen 5 hits it's stride in 2024-25

It will be great.

There's still indie games to give us some variety against the major publishers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'd be interested in seeing what Bungie could do Sony's IP - might even be able to get a good Killzone or Resistance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,707 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The ‘full growth’ part is the problem, albeit a feature of capitalism. It’s depressing to me that a studio can’t just comfortably maintain a hugely popular game - there shouldn’t be a need to be constantly growing profits, just enough to sustain the studio and support staff at a comfortable level.

Maybe the financial reality is this makes sense for Bungie. But big name and esteemed studios are being bought up at alarming rates now, and I can’t help but think of what’s happened at Disney (creatively speaking) as an example of the consequences of such rapid consolidation.

I think to compare video games to movies and TV is a fallacy, tbh.

To create a movie or TV show to a "AAA" level requires enormous resources, meaning only the largest production companies can attempt them.

The barrier to entry for video games is not only a lot lower, but that bar seems to continue downwards as technology improves.

Indie movies and TV shows don't stand a chance against the big studios. But indie video games can and do achieve great sales.

I wouldn't compare it to Disney. Disney have a very strict family, child friendly business model that is at the core of everything they do. Xbox and Playstation just want to make profits in the game business, I don't think they have any morals in that regard. Personally I'd favour Xbox over PS for allowing creative expression and freedom in their studios. If Sony have any strict rules it would be around AAA big budget "playable Movie" games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

XCOM2 Art Director has opened a new studio - Bit Reactor - that hopes to usher in the 'golden age for turn based games'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

• Advertisement

Advertisement