Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

McFly85 wrote: »
    I probably see as many posts complaining about Sony fans as actually obnoxious Sony fan posts, but anyone who creates a change.org petition on video game exclusivity probably needs to be sectioned.

Anyone that creates a change.org petition on anything to do with videogames needs to be sectioned. I honestly don’t know why these kinds of petitions make the news so relatively frequently, any old nut job can make one in 5 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,116 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Someone or some people have hacked Apex Legends with "Save Titanfall" messages and people are unable to play it.

Stopping me playing a game I like isn't going to rally me to your cause. In fact, I hope Titanfall dies in a fire now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

J. Marston wrote: »
    Someone or some people have hacked Apex Legends with "Save Titanfall" messages and people are unable to play it.

Stopping me playing a game I like isn't going to rally me to your cause. In fact, I hope Titanfall dies in a fire now.

Bit of context: https://www.pcgamer.com/apex-legends-hacked-to-protest-titanfalls-server-situation/

• Registered Users Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Dunno who this crowd are but their post seems to be making enough noise. NBA Live is ripe for comeback, they already implemented a Street mode in their last 2 games and even though they were more fun than the last number of nba 2k games, they didn't have the polish to compete, really hoping that's the revival.

Most people seem to think it's Fight Night but EA Sports renewed their UFC contact last year and UFC 4 is absolute cack, can't see them competing with themselves by making another boxing game.

Lastly, another few rumours that the PlayStation event will be this Thursday.

https://twitter.com/SaycheeseDGTL/status/1411707870022881286?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

J. Marston wrote: »

I agree but it is one of the things that annoy me most. Devs let their games get hacked to hell so you have no option but to move on and play their next instalment. COD in particular, in fairness it works as otherwise I'd be playing a game that was released in 2009

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I agree but it is one of the things that annoy me most. Devs let their games get hacked to hell so you have no option but to move on and play their next instalment. COD in particular, in fairness it works as otherwise I'd be playing a game that was released in 2009

Apex Legends is a free-to-play with constant new seasons. If it operates like Fortnite, you move on automatically with each new season.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

yeah I get that but it hadn't been hacked either until the Titanfall debacle. There's no need for the earlier Blops and MWs to be the absolute clusterfux that they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,282 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Dunno who this crowd are but their post seems to be making enough noise. NBA Live is ripe for comeback, they already implemented a Street mode in their last 2 games and even though they were more fun than the last number of nba 2k games, they didn't have the polish to compete, really hoping that's the revival.

Most people seem to think it's Fight Night but EA Sports renewed their UFC contact last year and UFC 4 is absolute cack, can't see them competing with themselves by making another boxing game.

Lastly, another few rumours that the PlayStation event will be this Thursday.

https://twitter.com/SaycheeseDGTL/status/1411707870022881286?s=19

New Def Jam would be cool

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Fight Night please

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,883 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Anything other than Mutant League will be boring old ****e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭quokula

gimli2112 wrote: »
    yeah I get that but it hadn't been hacked either until the Titanfall debacle. There's no need for the earlier Blops and MWs to be the absolute clusterfux that they are.

It's a constant battle with hackers who are always looking for new weaknesses. The last thing devs want is hacking but they can't afford to keep putting resources into fighting that battle on old games, it's unfortunate but it's not a deliberate ploy to make you upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,503 ✭✭✭✭Varik

If a publisher wants to drop support for a game and let it rot then they should stop selling it.

Titanfall 1 is MP only, it's still on sale and unplayable on PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

quokula wrote: »
    it's unfortunate but it's not a deliberate ploy to make you upgrade.
    Pretty sure that's the exact point to GaaS.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Yea, that's not how software works gimli - no one wants their code hacked but all the good intentions (and good security) in the world can't stop a figurative army of sociopaths who want to get into that code for whatever reasons. The team at Respawn should have known this was coming (the management are all ex CoD/Infinity Ward people after all) and it is unforgivable to still be selling this game (Titanfall) when the public servers seem to be in such a terrible state. 2 wrongs don't make a right, but if Apex has been so exposed like this, you can't exactly trust the process (and security) of Respawn and if there's one such glaring security hole, then there are more.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Wouldn't mind a new fight night. Boxing games have gone to the wayside over the last decade or so.
    Nothing, and I mean nothing will ever beat Greatest Heavyweights.

55278-1.jpg

mLoHlg9U.png

"hit me right here!" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,116 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

The Fight Night games were so, so good. The control system was relatively simple but it felt deep. Ducking and weaving with the right stick and then jab-HOOK!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,841 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Yeah, I'd like a new Fight Night. I don't even watch boxing but the game was fun to play.

Saying that, if I had a choice from that pic, it would be either Def Jam or SSX Tricky. It won't be Tricky because of Riders Republic possibly covering that, and I don't think it'll be Def Jam because there doesn't appear to be a loud enough crowd for that. If anything, I reckon it's Fight Night because of the upcoming ESports Boxing Club. They've probably heard the excited talking about it and want a chunk of it! Or Live, because they know the 2K fans are sick of their ****!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Oled model Switch announced, bigger screen, new stand, new dock and 64gb internal storage. No 4K as rumoured though. US price is $350 so expect it to be £350/€400 here.

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Nintendo-Switch-Family/Nintendo-Switch-OLED-model-/Nintendo-Switch-OLED-model--2000984.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,919 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Oled model Switch announced, bigger screen, new stand, new dock and 64gb internal storage. No 4K as rumoured though. US price is $350 so expect it to be £350/€400 here.

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Nintendo-Switch-Family/Nintendo-Switch-OLED-model-/Nintendo-Switch-OLED-model--2000984.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Explain to someone out of the loop; what does OLED give you above the base model, cos that's the only bullet point that might tempt.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,172 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

You’d blame Nintendo for hyping it up… but everyone other than Nintendo had been hyping it up :pac: Nintendo gave it the sort of announcement a small, ignorable hardware revision deserves - a tweet and video on a Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

pixelburp wrote: »
    Explain to someone out of the loop; what does OLED give you above the base model, cos that's the only bullet point that might tempt.

Higher contrast screen with deeper blacks, similar to how the screen on the first model Vita looks better than the second.

Tbh it isn't enough of a difference if you already have a Switch unless you get a good trade deal in GS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭quokula

pixelburp wrote: »

On an LED screen there is a backlight, then colours in front of it, while on an OLED the colours are the light. This basically means black parts of the screen are actually black, while they're still lit on an LED. Overall it creates more contrast and more vibrancy to the image.

It also uses less battery, but as the screen is bigger that might offset it. If it was a significant improvement then Nintendo would probably be saying it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,172 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

OLED screens are sharper and more colour accurate, so it’s definitely a good bet for anyone buying a new Switch IMO. It’s the opposite to the PS Vita situation when the original OLED model was phased out for a cheaper screen.

But I see very little reason to upgrade from the standard Switch model if you don’t have money to burn. You won’t be getting the full benefits of OLED at that screen size and resolution anyway, even if it’ll look better than the current one for sure. Honestly, I’m fairly pleased with this - the new 3DS with its exclusive games was a pretty crappy mid-gen upgrade. This is more in line with the typical approach - a decent hardware upgrade for newcomers or enthusiasts, but completely ignorable for the vast majority of people. This is especially true given the current supply chain problems and hardware shortages anyway: no need whatsoever to rush to buy a new Switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

If it isn't any more powerful than the base model than they can **** off tbh, it was overpriced in 2017, in 2021 it is extortion to ask those prices for such an underpowered unit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,883 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Markitron wrote: »
    If it isn't any more powerful than the base model than they can **** off tbh, it was overpriced in 2017, in 2021 it is extortion to ask those prices for such an underpowered unit.

Where else are you going to get a console with the same library with the same power and with those specs?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,321 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah the fact it basically adds nothing new for people who might mostly have it in the dock is disappointing. But then people don't really buy Nintendo consoles for the performance/resolution.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, pass on that. I don't play Switch for its visuals, and accept that playing a handheld device comes with some drawbacks; a slight lack of visual fidelity ain't a Red Flag for me. Ah well. Nintendo obviously feel their hardware is at a sufficient point to keep going another couple of years against the current gen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

as I said on its own thread; there is no reason to buy this even if you don't own a Switch. If you are without a Switch you're better off just buying the OG model as the "upgrades" appear to be purely cosmetic and an OG Switch is €50 cheaper. If you're looking for an LAN cable, you can get an adapter for about 20-odd quid. If you need to have 64GB storage, you can buy a 32GB memory card for about a tenner and it'll bring you up to the same size.

The only reason I'll consider buying it is if I can trade in my OG Switch against it, and even then I might not if the price doesn't appear worth it in the end. I don't play online and there's nothing wrong with the current screen. The only thing that'd make playing it on handheld mode slightly more bearable is if I had a grip to make it more comfortable.

Gamestop will have to do something to make it more enticing for me, that being the aforementioned trade-in deal, which they said they'll be doing.

https://twitter.com/GameStopIE/status/1412402548703694849?s=20

Also, I have two docks. If I can find a way to sell the spare dock on its own with the cables etc. then my interest in this newer model may increase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

They've gone with a PS5 colour scheme. Now you can have colour co-ordinate your consoles!

Advertisement