Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

This was presumably inspired or is remake of the BBC show Murder In Successville.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I ... don't get it. So it's a scripted drama except for the celebrity being themselves?

All those TV shows you mentioned are Channel 4 actually. Think S2 of End of the F**king World might have been a Netflix co production.

Ah yeah, they are all channel 4 I think.

I watched them on Netflix tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I think the best way to describe it is like an escape room but instead of solving puzzles you solve a murder and the celeb are the poor soda who have to solve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

All of Us Are Dead (more zombie shenanigans from Korea) drops January 28th. Eight part series.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Archive 81: Season 1 (2022) – An archivist takes a job restoring damaged videotapes and gets pulled into the vortex of a mystery involving the missing director and a demonic cult.

The House: Season 1 (2022) – A stop-motion animated anthology featuring the voices of Mia Goth, Jarvis Cocker, Susan Wokoma and Helena Bonham Carter.

After Life: Season 3 (2022) – Rick Gervais’ comedy-drama about a journalist struggling to move on from the loss of his wife returns for its third and final season.

Maiden (2019) - In the male-dominated sport of yacht racing, skipper Tracy Edwards leads the first all-female crew in a famous race around the world..

Animal Park (2020) 2 Seasons - Take part in the lives of the zookeepers at a historic safari park as they care for its animal inhabitants and brave the unusual challenges of the job.

This Is Not a Comedy (2022) (Spanish) - A comedian finds new meaning in his life when his best friend asks him to be her sperm donor, and he meets a girl who connects with the cosmos

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 40,235 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Sabotage (2013) : Members of an elite DEA task force find themselves being taken down one by one after they rob a drug cartel safe house. Starring Arnold Schwarzenegger. Written and directed by David Ayers, writer of Training Day and End of Watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Brazen - Watched this. Recently dropped on Netflix. Starring Alyssa Milano. Have no idea what possessed me to watch this. I have so much else on my list to watch - films which have decent credentials. But I threw this on last night, as it seemed like easy watching. If you are considering wasting 1.5 hours of your life, please find some other way to pass that time. Greatest pile of junk I have ever seen. Supposed to be one of those who-dun-its . But makes it obvious to the world who the killer is after 20 mins. I would normally give a point for at least effort. But in this case, giving this film zero points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭recyclops

Myself and my wife got round to watching this during the week, choose it on a whim and were completely shocked at how good it was. how its not getting talked about more is beyond us, one of the most fun movies of the year.

It's got a lot of support on its awards run. Possible favourite for the Oscar for a while. Personally I thought it was just fine, but I did love the Furby sequence, I'd give it the Oscar for that alone .

• Registered Users Posts: 43,806 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Recommend everyone watch "Murder In Successville" which was on BBC3 a couple of years ago. Tom Davis is brilliant in it and there's some improvised gold in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,216 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

On a similar vibe Disney+ have a film called Ron's gone wrong...very fun

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Underground

Just watched Mother / Android. My Netflix recommendation is not to watch it.

Complete sh*te. Interesting premise and the first five minutes or so were well done but after that it's just pure nonsense.

Really dumb, fan fiction level of writing. Nothing that happens makes any sense and the characters don't do things that normal people with brain cells would do. Avoid.

Also watched Deadly Cuts. I enjoyed it, got a few laughs. It's a bit cheesy in parts but it doesn't take itself too seriously, well worth a watch. I will say, it's one thousand times better than Cardboard Gangsters (starring John Connors), a movie I found to be unintentionally hilarious. He really thought he was Ireland's Scarface with that one.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I really liked Ron's Gone Wrong, but it goes for a bit of a simplistic "damn kids have too much technology" theme, whereas The Mitchells Vs The Machines has a more nuanced take on our relationship to technology (plus it does a great job of illustrating how kids who've grown up with Youtube interact with technology compared to their parents).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,864 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭jj880

Ive had netflix for about a year and a half. Some good new content but Ive watched most of the good stuff. If they increase the price I'll be cancelling. Not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Greed (2019) - A British billionaire fashion magnate tries to salvage his tarnished public image by throwing himself a wildly extravagant birthday bash in Greece..

Dolittle (2020) - When Queen Victoria falls ill, the reclusive Dr. Dolittle, his young apprentice and his animal friends set sail on an epic quest to find a magical cure

Sniper: Assassin's End (2020) - Framed for an assassination he didn't commit, a military special operative turns to his father, a legendary sniper, to help him find the real killer.

Dancer (2016) - In this intimate portrait, controversial ballet prodigy Sergei Polunin reflects on a career shaped by passion, rebellion and misery.

Added

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It was a fabulous movie that showed clichés are only bad when they're badly done. Loved the art style and as you said went a shade unheralded. And in a somewhat related vein ...

I guess Netflix gotta pay for those ludicrous blank cheque salaries somehow. $60 million for that starring trio on Red Notice... 🙄

sure it is. Price of a DVD per month. Reviewing my finances this month decided to get rid of “cable TV” - and Apple TV at least for now. Netflix has vast content though.

Production in Ireland doesn’t have to be about Ireland of course. Ireland can stand in for plenty of countries, or be a fantasy land, or the studios can used for science fiction. Look at Apple’s Foundation. There’s also a lot of writers with universal appeal to mine in Ireland - from Sally Rooney to Maeve Binchy to Colm Toibin (but probably not Joyce) and others - we’ve had successful adaptions before. And there’s always, as much as we despise it, a demand of the Wild Irish Thyme type Rom com.

Where we don’t really appeal is the gritty drama, or comedy. The British, and Nordics do the former better and as far as English language shows go the US and Britain dominate. Nothing funny has ever been produced here, even if Irish writers and actors are funny abroad. The French are funnier, for chrissakes.

Depends. I got it about a month after COVID kicked off. Watched it daily. Got through loads of good shows but if they had a way of hiding watched shows people would soon see its slim pickings after the initial binge period. Thats my opinion anyway. Im on the 18 euro sub which we need at the moment but if that hits 20 Im cancelling and buying android boxes for every room in the house for reasons that I dont think can be discussed here.

For a recommendation I think The Gentlemen is a good watch. Colin Farrell steals the show.

Well I pay 12.99 for HD - don’t need the higher quality or more than two devices. There’s loads of content that isn’t really surfaced unless you look for it. This thread is good for that though

I agree about the gentlemen - if anything it’s underrated. Only 75% on RT - audience score is 84%.

Not saying you're right or wrong in your opinion, but your post got me thinking, so I did a very quick think about the most popular, or widely watched/recommended shows available on Netflix.

Assuming a few things, a varied household with a variety of ages/tastes, excluding lockdowns and everyone's back to some kind of regularity with their daily lives, allowing for roughly 2 hours of TV a night.... how much very obvious, easy to find stuff is there, and how much time does it amount to.

So, going with just TV, I've got... Godless, Mind Hunter, Dark, Queen's Gambit, Unbelievable, Stranger Things, Squid Game, Maid, The End of the F*****g World, Sex Education, Black Mirror, Money Heist, Kingdom, Alias Grace, Lupin, Glitch, You, The Haunting of Hill House/Bly Manor, Russian Doll, Emily in Paris, Bridgerton, The Witcher, The Good Place, Brooklyn 99, Superstore, After Life, Lovesick, Motherland, Parks & Rec, When They See Us, Schitts Creek, Kimmy Schmidt, Arcane, Never Have I Ever, Into the Night....... which adds up to about 48ish weeks of evening viewing.

That's not getting into films or documentary series. And obviously that's not everything that's on there, I've left off some that I enjoyed and some of the ones I've named I wouldn't watch myself, but all in all I still think the subscription is worth it.

EDIT: For films I went to Letterboxd, filtered by what's available on Netflix Ireland, and sorted by most popular. Again, some of these aren't my cup of tea, but it's just to give an idea of what's there and appeals to most people. Midsommar, Fight Club, Wolf of Wall Street, Baby Driver, Gone Girl, Little Women, Spirited Away, Arrivial, Django Unchained, Truman Show, Uncut Gems, Spider-man Homecoming, Hereditary, Seven, Dunkirk, Marriage Story, Shutter Island, Don't Look Up, Nightcrawler, Zodiac, Fantastic Mr Fox, Bohemian Rhapsody, The Revenant, Moonrise Kingdom, My Neighbour Totoro, Wonder Woman, There Will Be Blood, Schindler's List, Jaws, Shrek, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, The Hunger Games, The Handmaiden, Mean Girls, Shaun of the Dead, Halloween, Scarface, Clueless, 12 Years A Slave, Zombieland, The Immitation Game, Gladiator, Pride & Prejudice, Hot Fuzz...... and that's just the first page, 44 out of 4767 films (and mini series) available on Netflix, which at a film a night is a month and a half of viewing.

Post edited by TICKLE_ME_ELMO on

We have gone pure streaming in our house because, and especially with its more international horizons these days, Netflix has upped its game big-time, and there's no need for any cable option TBH. No, there's lots of drek but what TV service isn't? While as Elmo pointed out there's still a tonne of good stuff available; a good mix of mainstream fare, and more esoteric or niche. As well as the aforementioned international footprint now.

I would question they're filmmaking and eagerness to overpay at times but I can easily keep myself entertained with a couple of Streaming options than a whole Sky package TBH. Especially when said package can come in at about 60, 70 a month or more. YMMV of course, as is always the case.

Some of those shows Ive watched every episode and enjoyed but a lot of them after a few eps I know theyre not for me and I move on. Maybe its worth it for people who like more varied selection. I guess I like a certain type of film / box set. E.g. true crime, scifi, heists, black comedy. Also a lot of programming I like is not available on Netflix. This is making me think is it worth it for me? There are others in our house that have different tastes but Im the main viewer. I easily spend the most time on Netflix. I suppose everyone has their price. Mine is 18 euro a month unless Netflix start doing deals with HBO, Apple, Amazon, Showtime, Disney, Warner Bros, Paramount and/or Hulu 😂.

As for the films it sounds good if you've somehow never watched a movie before. I had seen a lot of those before I even signed up to Netflix. And after that, as Ive already said, Im picky with genres.

I agree about it depending on how many films you've watched as to how good a selection there is, but as I said, the films I just arranged by most popular on Letterboxd. If I do them by highest average rating, it's a completely different list. I think if you have very specific tastes any streaming service is going to have a limited choice. I still think Netflix is the best value out of the ones available here. I have Prime, Apple TV+, and Mubi at the moment, and if I was listing my favourite TV shows on them I would probably put ones from other services above the Netflix ones, but overall I think Netflix has a more constant supply of things to watch. On Apple, for example, I loved Dickinson and For All Mankind, but Dickinson is finished now, and there's no news of when S3 of For All Mankind is airing, so there's currently nothing on Apple I would watch. Whereas there's always something I can start on Netflix, whether it's new or something old I missed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,041 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Series 2 of Cheer isn't a patch on season 1. It's about 4 episodes too long and every episode lasts a lifetime. Stuck it out but didn't actually give a damn about any of the characters. I loved season 1 but wish I'd left it there.

Advertisement