Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Didn't like this first time around some time back, but I re-watched it over Christmas and found it really enjoyable - good story telling and pretty satisfying. Good music, and I thought Hugh Grant was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Is this the Flemish/Belgian TV show? Really enjoyed the first two seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭bullpost

Theres a spinoff film also, Ferry, started to watch it but didnt finish it.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

I watched the Spinoff film. Wasn't a bad watch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,571 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Yes it is, watched 4 episodes, will finish it tonight. It's easy watching and quite a good show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,457 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The head of an Irish production company says a levy on streaming services is coming down the line.

Larry Bass, CEO of ShinAwiL, was speaking as Cabinet gave the green light to push ahead with new online safety and media regulation laws.

Companies that fail to comply with an online safety code could face fines of up to €20m or 10% of turnover.

While the proposed legislation will establish a new Media Commission regulator, to oversee the likes of broadcasting and video-on-demand regulations.

It would take on the current functions of the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland (BAI), with their powers extended to cover streaming services such as Netflix, Amazon Prime and Disney+.

Mr Bass told The Hard Shoulder this will see money re-invested in Irish content.

"We want a level playing field between platforms who are financed, primarily, by European funds to spend some of that European money in Europe.

"So I think it's hugely important for the future of the industry, right around the world, that where there's a predominance of especially US-owned platforms, that all of the funds that goes into making these films, TV series, documentary series it shouldn't all go back into the pockets of producers in the US."

'It's not going to affect the price'

While he believes Ireland should follow France's example.

"The French have already set up significant levies, and not only [a] levy, they also have an investment criteria.

"So if you're a Netflix-type operation in France, you'll pay a substantial double-figure levy - and there is a requirement to invest another significant proportion of the funds collected in France into French content.

"That's why Netflix have opened studios in France to cater for the volume of demand of content they're going to have to commission".

And he says the levy is already on its way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

I see After Life season 3, the final season, drops tomorrow. Really looking forward to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭French Toast

Watched Saving Private Ryan last week for the first time in a number of years. Every bit as good as I remembered it.

Saw Uncut Gems for the first time recently. Brilliant, would highly recommend.

Started Ozark last week and am currently on Season 2. Enjoying it highly.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,311 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

+1 for Uncut Gems. It is a fantastic film that is much better than I expected an adam sandler movie to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

After the success of Netflix’s behind-the-scenes Formula 1 series “Drive to Survive”, the streamer has announced a new partnership for a similar, albeit golf-themed, show. Netflix is teaming up with the PGA Tour and golf’s major championships for a documentary series that will follow the lives and stories of the world’s top professional golfers across the 2022 season.

From Vox Media Studios and the production team behind F1: DRIVE TO SURVIVE, the series will go inside the ropes and behind the scenes of golf’s biggest events, including The Players, the FedExCup, and all four major championships.

https://news.newonnetflix.info/news/driver-to-surviver-netflix-partners-with-pga-for-new-documentary-series/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Brazen (2022) - Mystery writer Grace Miller has killer instincts when it comes to motive -- and she'll need every bit of expertise to help solve her sister's murder..

The Journalist (2022) Season 1 (Japanese) - A dedicated journalist doggedly pursues the truth about a government corruption scandal even as powerful enemies seek to neutralize her reporting..

Armed and Deadly (2019) Seasons 1 & 2 - This docuseries uses mission footage, news coverage and interviews to shed light on armed police operations and criminal organizations in the UK.

Added

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,006 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If there's any truth to this, I'd remain sceptical customers will avoid shouldering the levy; while in theory, I'm all in favour of something that might yield more Irish shows on Netflix (many favourites of the last 1-2 years have come from EU countries, presumably off the back of EU directives necessitating it), the key difference Larry Bass isn't factoring in here is France is a much larger market.

Forcing Netflix into more French productions is fine when it ultimately caters for the ~275 million French speakers in the world. While yes, there are far more English speakers globally, Irish productions often struggle to find audiences, with our more distinctly narrow cultural perspective. Lupin did well because "Adventures in Paris" never go out of fashion; wouldn't be immediately optimistic Irish Netflix shows would fare as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,278 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

All comes down to what Netflix (and any international producer) would buy into though… like, Killinaskully has zero market abroad, but Normal People has genuinely global appeal.

I’ve no doubt there are Irish writers that are well capable of writing Irish stories for a more universal audience if they’re just given a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭dublin49

watched Deadly cuts last night.Really really poor ,amateurish,cliche ridden,stage Oirish rubbish.Will go far as the saying goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭bullpost

Yep - The Nordic countries and S Korea have shown it can be done with universal themes and good production values. We're a much smaller market but still should be possible.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I enjoyed it. It was the most successful Irish film at the box office last year, and has been sold for distribution in quite a few big markets, as well as being bought by Netflix. I've seen far worse come out of Ireland.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I really wasn't a fan of Deadly Cuts when I watched it back at DIFF - I don't think it settles on a tone at all, and just feels like a mish-mash of half-baked ideas. BUT I don't begrudge its success either - I'm happy to see a small Irish film making waves internationally, even if I didn't care for the film at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I'd sit and watch Deadly Cuts every day before watching The Lost Daughter again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Deadly Cuts had some great laughs. Well worth a watch.

End of the f*****g World both seasons is brilliant. Dark and humorous.

This way up with our gal Aisling Bea.

Crashing, they only made one season which is a travesty.

The lost daughter (film). Absolutely excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I must pitch my famine-era survival epic, 'Spud Game'

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,006 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm not saying it's impossible for Irish productions to punch up just that the chap interviewed might be overselling Ireland's potential a little, when comparing with a country with far more political, financial and cultural clout to impose a levy in the first place; perhaps looking to Iceland or Denmark, and how they managed to get some presence on Netflix, would be a more relative comparison tool. The other factor is the UK; like it or loath it, we do find ourselves overshadowed by our neighbours, and all the levy might do is force productions to up sticks and move to the UK (in of itself, a common occurrence in the first place with our artists anyway).

We'll see either way if anything comes of this Streaming Levy; lord knows successive governments have tried to abstract the TV License to loop in mobiles and laptops etc., with zero success (thank goodness). This might end up similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Film aside all of these are on All4, Aisling Bea got a second series of her show on there too not sure the alure mildly amusing at best but poor overall I'd have to say.

Yeah netflix didn't air the second season which was extremely annoying. I found it on a different site tho. I thought it was brilliant.

This way up was brilliant I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,942 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 32,306 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Crashing was terrific totally underseen brilliant cast

I agree. But it deserved a 2nd season. Blooming netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,306 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I agree but it was channel 4 who didn't renew it, Netflix just bought the series (I think good while after it was on channel 4 as in years). In fairness Phoebe waller-bridge did alright after it!

• Advertisement

Ah right, didn't realise. Its such a shame, the ending was a cliffhanger.

Advertisement