Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overpopulation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,878 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Lol. What a deflection.

You made a historical assertion. I pointed out that it was historically laughable, whether using Irish or English primary resources.

And the above is what you are reduced to.

Reading is not a sin.

You said nearly all the forests were gone and the Brits finished them off.

I showed a drop over a 40 year period, that was in a Crown sponsored strategy to clear the forests over a 150 year period.

Fair enough, it's just the narrative that the pesky brits are the reason we have no trees. There's far more to it than that and forests have been cleared here for a long long time. I find blaming the Brits a bit lazy. And it's not like we've reforested since they've left. In fact, England is like the Amazon compared to here, so much more natural forest around the place.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the original claim was that 'the brits cut down our trees for their ships' - AFAIK shipbuilding was a minor consumer of wood, at least until the late 17th century; it was the likes of charcoal making, pit props, barrel staves, leather tanning etc. which used far more wood. also simple clearance for agriculture played a large part.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

The best of irish forests in those centuries were used in beams and floors in the manor house both Tudorian & Jacobean all wood heavy then the Victorians also used wood in the grand house both in england & here same with the Georgians. The brits did deforest but we failed in 500 hundred years to re forest. We are at fault on that .

kinda hard to reforest over 500 years when you don't own/control what happens on that land.

Our failure is from when the Irish government became relevant. Although to be fair, environmentalism and an awareness of the importance of forestry is how many years old? 40? 50?

The reason they could keep such large woods was because they had alternative sources in Ireland.

The. Conquest of Ireland was never secure until the Woods were cleared and that's why it was done by royal decree under Elizabeth.

That it benefited the English economy was secondary. The forests of England were massively overused and abused by those appointed to manage them, often for corrupt personal gain so by the mid 1550s native hardwood timber in England was in short supply and that was a shock to the crown who realized it was receiving made up reports for years.

Ireland was deforested of it's immense forests for political and military reasons.

Up the road from me was an native Oak forest covering 4k acres. It was felled because one man hid there. That's not unusual nor is it a significant example, even locally in North Cork. A wood 5 times the size of Sherwood forest and it's not a stand out clearance of the time or locality.

Opinion must follow facts and evidence. Not the other way around.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Ireland was deforested of it's immense forests for political and military reasons.

and commercial reasons too.

• Advertisement

It certainly helped and the flow of timber recorded the period was exceptional, the shipping manifests of the time are fascinating.

The need for bow timber alone cleared all the yew Woods in a few years. That was a crown perogative.

from 'reading the irish landscape' by mitchell and ryan:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,026 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

The forests aren't coming back to where they were. You need space for all the humans, their dwellings and workplaces.

It is farming that takes up nearly all the land in Ireland, not humans. We could easily reforest swathes of land if we just farmed less.

From a Carbon capture point of view, permanent pasture locks away more Carbon than a 100 yr old native forest per acre per year.

Most plants and species in Ireland are not wood land based or better put when in woodland are on the edges where it meets open spaces. Species here developed with people, clearings and Farming practice.

Deep in woodland doesn't have the scale of wildlife or plant diversity that many expect.

Depends on what you want?

Certainly there should be more native wood land, more hedges and other things to support bio diversity.

Don't give up food security. It'll be critical as the planet continues to heat up and fill with people.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Well to be fair - the people of Ireland only started to regain ownership of land in the 1880s with the introduction of legislation under the Land Acts.

Up to then approx 97% of all land in Ireland was owned by Landlords - many who were british or absentee or both.

Tenants of small plots of land with no security of tenure or fixity of rent were unlikely to invest in planting woodlands when feeding their families was often a challenge.

I think Theobald WolfeTone at the end of eighteenth expressed something similar when asked about Irish peasants planting orchards

"he who can barely find potatoes for his family is little solicitous about apples; he whose constant beverage is water dreams neither of cider or meade"

In the 1880s tree cover was estimated to have been as low as 1%. In a little over a 100 years that has risen to 11%. And yes I agree there's still room for improvement there.

We are not that food secure really, we are net importers of food, we export nearly everything we produce and grow feck all fruit and veg.

Looks like we're at the top of the list again ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post edited by gozunda on

True, we have plenty of food. To the other poster, we may not grow enough fruit, but we don't need it to be 'food secure.'

• Advertisement

True. I have extended family who've been involved in the horticultural sector here for near nearly three generations.

Unfortunately it's a sector where the topography, soil and climate of Ireland often combine to makes a lot of production marginal at best.

Currently other countries can out compete us with regard to the growing of many fruits and vegetables. Yes we could grow more with the use of covered and heated production facilities but again the margin of cost against return in the face of cheap vegetables coming from countries like Spain means that is unlikely to happen in the short term.

Areas of existing horticultural enterprises such as the North of Dublin do ok because of three main factors viz: proximity to market, extensive areas of light sandy well drained soils and more suitable local climate conditions for vegetable growing compared to other areas such as the west Ireland.

On the flip side most conditions in Ireland are excellent for grass growing and hence our main agricultural exports are dairy and beef and with a lot of that going to our trading partners in Europe.

this is the situation worldwide.

four fifths of calories from food come from less than a quarter of land which is farmed.

Thank heavens for factory farms, GMO's and Roundup!

this claim that grasslands store more carbon than woodlands seemed to appear a couple of years ago, and i heard it propounded almost exclusively by farming organisations, and i was immediately sceptical because what i read at the time discounted the role of methane entirely; do you have a link to any papers on it?

Market demand changes over time, too. I'm sure 3 generations ago your family probably grew many different flowers than the majority that are available today. And I'm pretty confident they grow the same ones as those 'back in the day.' (their descendants, anyway.)

Likewise, should citrus from Spain become prohibitively expensive due to the energy cost or that the land is no longer available, we'll switch to something else. I find it surprising more berries aren't grown in Ireland like blueberries, you'd think we'd have ideal climate for them.

And, you can get a lot of Vitamin C from potatoes :)

regarding your comment about blueberries; i'm curious about the economics of nut production. apparently in SE england the expected annual yield per Ha of a hazelnut farm (once the trees are fruiting at decent capacity 8-10 years after planting) is 3.5-4 tons of nuts - though this document doesn't specify whether that's before shelling:

http://www.calu.bangor.ac.uk/Technical%20leaflets/050402Cobnutsandwalnuts.pdf

to compare, according to teagasc figures, a beef farm in ireland has an output of ~500Kg per hectare per year (and i don't know if that takes other farmland into account, such as land for feed etc.)

beef has a calorie content of around 2,500 calories per kg - so 1.25m calories per hectare per year in ireland.

let's halve the amount of hazelnuts produced in case that's the unshelled figure, and halve it again for reasons of slightly worse growing conditions here; you're still at a ton a year, and at over 6,000 calories per kg, you're looking at over 6m calories off the same land area. five times as much.

for protein, hazelnuts still come out on top, 130kg of protein from beef, 150kg from nuts. and my assumptions may mean nuts do much better in reality.

i guess what it comes down to is people would prefer eat beef.

Seventh Day Adventists are "mostly" vegetarian and eat a diet rich in nuts and vegetables, no drinking or smoking, and have good health outcomes. I think your last point is that beef is just more popular in culture but we'd be better off not eating it at all.

Not sure how you come to that one conclusion. Beef remains a recommended food as part of healthy balanced diet. And that's not just in Ireland. I get it that some sda believers thought that meat makes you randy and came up with wheat / corn based alternatives as a cure for erm - well you can read about it here!

https://metro.co.uk/2019/08/17/kelloggs-corn-flakes-invented-stop-masturbation-10587364/

Anyway its not so much you live longer when you give up smoking, alcohol, other things or indeed foodstuffs - it just seems that way 😁

Edit. On the issue of blueberries and hazelnuts - both require very specific but quite different soil conditions. Blueberries require quite an acidic and dampish soils whilst hazelnuts require the direct opposite with alkaline and dryer soils. Blueberries and native to the Americas - so wouldn't be native. Production in the US involve huge acreages. I guess they've managed to successfully dominate thd market globally

Hazelnuts are native and are naturally occurring in those areas with suitable conditions such as the Burren. There is at least one commercial producer of Hazlenuts that I'm aware of which is run as a dual enterprise. I'll see if I can find the link. Globally hazlenut production is dominated by countries in Eastern Europe and elsewhere where field labour such as harvesting is done manually and is relatively cheap.

Heres the article btw.

https://m.independent.ie/regionals/wicklowpeople/lifestyle/farmer-gavin-goes-hazelnuts-in-donard-35123145.html

Post edited by gozunda on

hazel has been a native understorey across much of ireland for millennia; i guess they'll crop a lot better on alkaline soils but seem to do OK (maybe not commercially well) in most places. i suspect the difference with hazelnuts is that the labour is all compressed into a short time frame at harvesting season. apparently you can graze chickens and pigs underneath them too (the document i linked even suggested the chickens would be good for the health of the hazels), and charge a premium for the meat from the latter.

and you'd probably be eating the grey squirrels who try to nick your crop.

• Advertisement

I have a QTR acre of Hazel nut trees.

It was a test trial.

They really need a very specific soil and climate.

Mild Spring, sandish soil, that is poor enough fertility wise. That is to ensure nut yield rather than strong plant growth.

35 miles inland ans 600ft up does not meet that. Very few places do.

The chickens eat the larvae of the nut weevil.

I gather up the nuts and feed to my pigs.

Advertisement