Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Having no student or OAP discount is particularly harsh, believe it or not the Ulster Council are charging €12 just for streams of McKenna Cup games, seen on Twitter somebody living in the States paid over 18 dollars (roughly €16) for 1 of the streams.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Make up your mind. You’ve been cribbing about the incumbents for the last few years saying there’s no shortage of inter county hurlers in Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭therealdonster

Good listen that. He came across really well and great to see him refusing to go quietly into the night.

He was and is the ultimate Kilkenny hurler in my view. Stylish, brave and blessed with all the skills. Dyed in the wool Kilkenny too. Him and DJ are my personal favourite players of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Any team/panel news for tomorrows match?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭jonniegoogle

Don't think i'd put him in the top bracket, DJ, TJ, Henry,JJ,Tommy would be my top 5.(in that order)

Richie was a class hurler, maybe a little greedy with the ball the last few years when he was trying to prove a point and fairly injury prone also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭brookville

Heard an interview with cody and he said for this match Sunday It will be made up of players from the trials.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Comerman

Anyone know if the game is being streamed anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭robwen

Reasonable run out today. Standout performers were Shane Walsh at full forward whose 1st touch was very good.

Danish Blanchfield decent at wing back. Conor heary started centre back but was poor. Better when moved to wing back in 2nd half.

Emmet Landy looked a handful at centre forward. Think he might have gotten 1-03 .

It was noticeable in the 1st half that gorta was telling the backs to carry the ball through the tackles.

Bigger test next week v Wexford but good to get going again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 peakedatU12

Lads, I'm exiled and don't get to see any KK club hurling. Just wondering are there any stand-out mid-fielders coming through.

I thought at one point that Leahy and Maher were going to be the answer, but not really looking like that now?

I wouldn't rule out maher to have a say this year. Leahy had so much potential but had been plagued with injuries. Maybe ronan corcoran could get a shot too when the shamrocks are finished club action

• Registered Users Posts: 2 VerticalStripes99

Ronan Corcoran broke a bone in his hand / wrist last FRIDAY evening in a challenge match in W.I.T. so he is looking at 8-10 weeks out injured, a massive loss to Shamrocks, for his ball winning abilities and scoring potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

For anyone at the match in Callan did we try and play with any discernable game plan or style or was it the same as before?

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Thats the big question. Is there a new plan? Because new players are only half the battle. The tactics have to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭brookville

To be fair the players Sunday are made up from trials. I'd say David blanchfield,bolger,Shane Walsh and scanlon are the only ones who have played senior County hurling. This is their first competitive match together so I wouldn't be expecting too much. Kilkenny trained last Sunday morning and probably 30 players involved in that plus you have the ballyhale lads excluded. I do agree we need to see things change but I wouldn't be expecting it last weekend. The half back line got 4 points from play I think. Bigger step up against wexford Saturday a few will hold their places and it wil probably be sprinkled with a few more senior players.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Grats

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Just like last year, I supect we will see plenty of innovation in our playing style during league.

The big problem as far as I can see is that when we concede a few scores that see a Championship match tighten up, Cody presses the reset and it's back to basics.

Essentially "ok, we tried the expansive stuff but now we roll up our sleeves and try to dog it out".

This just about worked versus Wexford last year but flopped spectacularly versus Cork when we were played off the park for last 20 mins and the 20 mins of extra time, leaving or bringing on hard grafting players instead of potential game breakers.

Part of the reason why Cody is still the manager is that this conservatism sometimes works, it is still partially and sporadically successful. He can still get a team to empty the tank and dog it out. It's just that it is a **** or bust startegy. And if a team with legs get a run on you (Waterford and Dublin 2020 and Cork 2021), you're probbaly going to get done.

On Ronan Corcoran, it seems the height of madness to me that a team should be playing full blooded matches a week before an All Ireland semi, especially in January.

Shane Cooney misses semi too, gone for season after also injuring himself in a challenge match last week with St Thomas'.

Post edited by Alonzo Moseley on

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭conor05

Ronan is a big big loss. He was looking like a chap that could of done a job with Kilkenny in midfield this year too, his performances were very good for Ballyhale.

That is the risk you take with challenge matches I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Village87

Ronan Corcoran was invited on the Kilkenny panel before and declined. Up to a few years there was no way back. But in the last year you can drop yourself off the panel, get dropped do whatever you like and you still get called back in. Very uncody like behaviour but good to see he is mellowing out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭KK36

Great to see Sean Morrissey back. A hugely talented hurler who was arguably the best player we had on the 2014 minor team which beat what is now the basis of the Limerick senior team. The modern style of hurling will suit him and I hope he has a big part to play this year and not discarded after one match like the last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭therealdonster

Does anyone know if John Walsh was involved in any of those trial games or the extended panel?

Yeah John Walsh was invited in and accepted from what I heard but don't know how he got on or if he's still in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Nedflanders02

I think John Walsh got injured in one of the trial games before Christmas, not sure if he’s still out or back in training.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭robwen

This piece gives all the Kilkenny players involved with the college teams for the Fitzgibbon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Will many games be streamed? I only saw that the ucd one will be available

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Thanks for that,

I thought Adrian Mullen was still at DCU.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

I presume any players involved in club championships won't be involved until those commitments are concluded.

• Advertisement

Have heard that the lads below have made the panel for the league

Chris Bolger

Robbie Buckley

Jay Burke

Mikey Butler

Conor Heary

Sean Morrissey

Shane Murphy

Eoin Wall

Shane Walsh

There are a few more as well but the above are in anyway.

Advertisement