Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Galestorm1

Any news on club management 2022

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Mod

Some posts deleted.

Let's get back on track here please

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Good win for Ballyhale yesterday, St Rynaghs of Offaly next on the list. All the forwards scored yesterday apart from Colin Fennelly

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭KK36

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭brookville

Ballyhale will be happy to blow out the dirty petrol after the stag and the wedding.They were out hurled and outscored in the second half and if rangers had of got that goal they could of being in trouble but they responded by getting the next few scores. Rynaghs will definitely take confidence from the rangers performance and Ken Hogan will have his own ideas but they'll have to up it if they're to cause a big upset. Fennellys form has to be a worry for the shamrocks.He plays most of his hurling further out from the goal but he has being very quite the last few games but like all great teams they have brian cody or now joey cuddihy who steps up with important scores. Shamrocks aren't hurling aswell as a few years ago and I wouldn't be suprised to see them bet in their busy schedule over the next few weeks although it will take a big performance from the opposition. Darren mullen went off injured again with what looked like a shoulder injury.This lad has being crippled with injury and I hope we get to see him reach his full potential.

I heard on the management front locally lisdowney after new management.Fanning gone from the boro and dan the man no longer involved with the bridge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Nedflanders02

Brian Cody must be the most improved hurler in the county over the last few years, consistently popping up with 3 or 4 points per game and one of Shamrocks best performers! Surely he is overdue a call up the the county panel at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭brookville

Joe cuddihy has nailed down a spot and also has improved.Id be suprised of Brian cody doesn't get a run with the county next year.Its a pity with paddy mullen he looked to be on the right track a few years ago.He picked up an injury earlier in the year and a few other things happened he hasn't got back into the team.he played very little this year

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

All Waterford men leaving the big stage, thought Power would have stayed on for another year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Congrats to Eoin Murphy on his all star.

Only Prunty of Waterford and Tony Kelly not Limerick men ! 12 awards for Limerick

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I'm sure cork people will be complaining but on individual performances throughout the year it's hard to argue with any of the limerick selections, and Kelly kept an otherwise atrocious team respectable all year, singlehandedly. Doubt anyone could really say there was a better keeper this year, Murphy is phenomenal. But it's fair to say his puckouts were not good this year, although by some accounts he was getting pretty mixed messages from management on that front.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Massive congrats to Eoin Murphy. That is a great achievement considering 12 players were from one other county. I do believe Murphy is the best goalkeeper in the country, but I wasn't expecting him to win an All-Star because of Kilkenny's woeful puckout strategy. As Realt said above, the puckouts are not necessarily his fault, but I thought it would result in someone being picked ahead of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭jonniegoogle

Genuinely thought he would lose out on the all star because of his woeful puckouts. Puckouts are becoming a massive part of any high level game. Going back to our last All Ireland v Tipp and this years semi v Cork, our puckouts were nothing short of horrendous. Murphy is the best shot stopper in the country but I'd probably have given the all star to Quaid for his distribution, plus he's also a very good shot stopper.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Corrigible

Hurling should be about skill with the stick. While Limerick are good it’s rugby with a bit of stick work thrown in. The game is being ruined and they’re being rewarded for ruining it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Yeah... Good one.. they should play hurling like it was played in the 90's puck it as far as you can with your eyes closed and teeth gritted.. 👍

How in God's name are they ruining it?

Rewarded??

Throwing the ball isn't hurling and there is no skill in it. When they enforced the rule in the league game against Galway they were well beaten and Kiely bleated about the rules being applied. Of course the GAA and the referees turned a blind eye in the championship. I know Limerick are not the only perpretators of this blatant rule breaking but they are the worst exponents. If this throwing is not outlawed we will have rugby or football with sticks. This will kill hurling. It's a stick game and that's where the skill lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

What utter nonsense. And the really worrying thing is, you probably believe this nonsense.!!

any argument to support this comment or are you just spouting nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

In that game i think the ref actually clamped down on limericks tactic of "soft" fouling ( a lazy arm and a tug back) in the forwards to slow the galway attacking ball coming into their backs. And that was what kiely was unhappy about.. galway had identified it in the lead up to the game and played up to it.

Plus limerick didn't start 3 or 4 of their players that went on to win all stars earlier today.

Added to that nieland scored 14 points from frees for galway. Maybe the ref clamped down on the hand pass a bit more than the championship but limerick are one of the best exponents of a 30 yard stick pass you will see and they are racking up even more scores that kk back in 2008. Hardly killing hurling. If anything they have Brought it to a new level and its the other teams jobs to catch them..

I also think for any argument you Try and back up by mentioning a league performance has to be taken with a pinch of salt.. while that game and the first half v tipp show that limerick are beatable its going to take one hell of a performance next year to beat them.. hopefully that will be from kilkenny as we can't meet them until all ireland semi or final

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

I'm not sure about this but they have got away with a crazy amount of straight red card offences in the last 2 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Aaanyway getting back to the Kilkenny gaa thread...well done to Eoin Cody on winning young Hurler of the year.. hopefully the start of a glittering intercounty career..

On a side note what are ballyhale doing that they can turn average enough under age hurlers into very good senior hurlers time after time..even keeping them all in the parish and hurling is an achievement in itself

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Lads do we have the base of a good team? We have the last two young hurlers of the year on our team plus TJ, who although is getting quieter from general play is still a top performer. As a team we seem to be very loose in the last few years. If Cody can keep it tighter in defence we have the forwards to inflict serious damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

I think we have the potential to be as good as anyone bar limerick at the moment.. plenty forwards as you say.. midfield is our biggest issue I think..if the likes of Conor Delaney can stay injury free backs are not too shabby either..lawlor improving every day..

As most on here have said puck out strategy and overall game plan have room for improvement.. but to say it's all doom and gloom is a bit over the top

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭conor05

Like the Kilkenny half back line in their pomp of Tommy Walsh, Hogan and JJ, Limericks half back line is the nucleus for everything good that happens further up the field.

Byrnes, Hannon and Hayes are completely dominating games now and spraying great ball into the forwards along with getting their own scores too. Kyle Hayes is another planet physically for a wing back and like all great half back line they give great protection to their full back line too.

It’s very hard to see any time beat them next year but Kilkenny will be competitive again like every other year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

I honestly can’t see us winning another AI under Cody. The game has evolved and we haven’t adapted , plus we don’t have the calibre of players Limerick have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Is it true it will be the 1st time since 2011 a non-kilkenny club will win leinster intermediate?

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Make journey bit nicer

Yeah, seemingly Glenmore were flattered by the score in the end. Heard bits on the radio, Naas cudda had another 3 goals and a few pts in 1st half.

The last time a Kilkenny side were bet was Danefort in 2011, beaten by MLR who were managed by Tom Mullaly and aided by Christy Keally.

Mooncoin had a good win after ET and have a decent chance of going all the way

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Incredible win by Shamrocks

Utterly steeped to get to Extra Time after being out fought for last 45 mins of match

Ragged performance, poor discipline, awful shooting, but hung on and snatched a scrappy last second goal.

Then back to their Rolls Royce best in extra time and walked away with it.

Joey Holden outstanding and Darren Mullen too when introduced late in normal time

Colin Fennelly and Evan Shefflin injured and Joey hobbling at end too, so could be problems for next week.

Red card for Cuddihy just before half time was dreadfully harsh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

While Cuddihy's red was harsh, Noel Mc Grath's straight red versus Ballygunner was simply diabolical.

I'd be very disspointed with Ballygunner for what looked like gross simulation that led to dismissal of both Mc Graths.

Advertisement