Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

M11/N11 - M50 (J4) to Coyne's Cross (J14) [options published]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 473 ✭✭BigGeorge

I would in the past have been against closing J10 but the experience over the summer when the glenroad was closed due to water pipe replacement changed mind completely. .

The difference in the village was huge, felt like there was more cycling / walking. Place seemed a lot more liveable & safer for people without the through traffic. However, it was constant gridlock at killincarrig. Once the road reopened the rat run began again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭prunudo

I think this point is missed by many objecting and jumping on social media campaigns. The same could be said for those against the link roads, surely its better to seperate local traffic, by doing so it will also have the benefit of creating new and safer pedestrian and cycling routes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Hadn't seen it shared but I noticed a couple weeks back that they've closed the minor road access to the kilmurry cottages between jn8 and 9 southbound. Not sure if this was always planned with the Kilmac works but it had been mentioned in the Arup information that it was on the cards with main improvements project.

Which got me thinking, wonder will they contuine to close these smaller acces points where possible even before the main project goes ahead.

Also Tii in their wisdom have installed bollards along the road beside the bus stop off jn9 northbound, behind the Glen Garage. It had developed into a bit of an unoffical park n ride but obviously Tii were having none of it, so much for trying to encourage public transport use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,511 ✭✭✭Macy0161

The Kilmurry cottage access was closed because of resident demand, and well before completion of the access road - people were missing the junction and using that to get back to the Johnny Fox roundabout. Pedestrian/ Cyclist access being maintained, even if they made a mess of the temp cones in that regard!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I could never understand why they left mainline access to the cottages in place when they widened the road, when they're connected to J7. Same goes for Quill Road on the other side.

Probably the residents? A bit like with the current closure proposals, the short term view is on the negative. I wouldn't be surprised if the Kilmurray experience leads to Quill Road residents also requesting the same (although more local traffic on the quill road anyway). I'm sure they didn't envisage the junction hopping that goes on.

I had seen the temporary barriers alright for a few months but had presumed it was to do with traffic management for the kilmac scheme.

Regarding Quill road, there's a few more commercial premises on that road compared to Kilmurry Cottages so not sure the residents on the northern end would appreciate more traffic and trucks on the narrowest section of that road.

true, but it's going to be closed anyway. There is the possibility they could widen the road back to J8 but it's little more than a boreen.

• Advertisement

Extended back to junction jn9 if memory serves me right, through the old ascon compound.

And also a link road from the Kilmurry cottages on the northbound side back to middle of Quill road somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭Plastik

Lot of material published today - Option Selection Report

And an interim bus priority scheme

nothing much new there, all information we already knew.

Sort of related but unrelated. Any idea why the speed limit southbound through Kilmac is still 60kph even after the works associated with the auxiliary lane have been completed.

It was 60 even before the works, did they say it would be increased up to 80 afterwards?

• Administrators Posts: 54,216 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Late to the conversation here, but I'm curious about the J10 changes. I drive from Greystones to Kilpedder every morning so curious how my route will be affected.

Is the problem with the hairpin turn on J10 northbound, and the lack of a slip on J10 southbound meaning slow moving traffic is entering the carriageway?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hometruths

Do you currently use the hairpin at j10 to access Kilpedder? That will be gone.

Greystones to kilpedder will be predominantly via Charlesland road and underpass at J11.

Though you could also go via Delgany and flyover proposed for willow Grove and Drummin East

Yea I use the hairpin. Is the J10 southbound on-ramp going too?

That'll mean either going down Priory Road or going the whole way to Killincarrig roundabout.

Silly question, where exactly is this proposed flyover going? Willow Grove is at the top of the hairpin, right? Where is Drummin East?

I believe they did, they always blamed the 60kph limit (vs 80 northbound) was due to saftey issues with private access and the garage and once the improvements were made the limit could increase.

It is proposed to cross close where the existing Drummin junction is. Essentially fixing the link that was removed when they closed the median in the early 2000s.

• Advertisement

Here?

That wouldn't be too bad but the R762 is not the widest road. Still definitely better than having to go to Farrankelly road.

Exactly. Yes J10 southbound is being shut permanently, this flyover replaces that access to Delgany

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

According to TII, this project has been shelved

I wonder why.

money prioritised for public transport and walking/cycling I guess; quid pro quo for greenlighting some less environmentally sustainable projects elsewhere (the Galway bypass for one).

the bus-lane project has funding but I've heard the scope has been reduced to just extending them as far as J6 rather than J9 as had been the plan.

Wow, I'm shocked. Fail to prepare, prepare to fail. The road needs addressing now and is not fit for purpose. I've said it before, but we're a talking shop in this country, consultants and reports, rinse and repeat.

TBH my reaction is "meh" - the changes wouldn't have added a huge amount of capacity and I'm not aware that's it a particularly dangerous stretch of road; they may have decided that it just doesn't represent value for money. I'm disappointed to hear the bus-lane element is being curtailed though. Some of the offline elements might be advanced as local projects.

Given the volume of new houses in the area, I think the most plans represented a good updating and usability of junctions. Taking out conflicting road use and generally making it safer.

Its going to be a nightmare in a few years time without any improvements. It smacks of a serious case of cutting off your nose to spite your face.

The focus always should've been on the bus lane/ PT/ active travel element. We know that building new roads ultimately leads to the filling up with more traffic. That really needs to be prioritised with the amount of building along the corridor.

I'd have to look at the preferred plan again, but I didn't think it would add much capacity to the road itself, just make life easier for local journeys by taking them off the mainline. Considering how much money and disruption would be involved I would question the worth of the project as a whole, when there are other things the money could be spent on. Hopefully Dart+ and better train services to Wicklow town can be fast-tracked (though is anything in Ireland ever fast-tracked?).

WRT the bus lanes, possibly they decided they can't plan for J6-9 until they know for certain whether the junction upgrades are happening or not so they're splitting the plan in 2 and proceeding with the northern bit in the meantime (that's speculation on my part). As things stand the project hasn't been cancelled, it just doesn't have any funding for 2022.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

This was always going to be contentious. I had favoured the tunnel option and conversion of the old alignment to a regional distributor (including bus corridor), but that’s not what was chosen. I feel that there’s so much population growth here now (and in future) that the only viable way of dealing with it is to encourage a modal shift: bring Dublin’s rail transport out to the towns that feed the N11’s traffic problems, and allow people to get in or out of the city via mass transport. If you reduce the morning/evening commuting peaks, the existing road will be well able to deal with the traffic on it.

That’s way more expensive than widening a road (even this one), but long term, it’s the only thing that will actually help.

It just feels to me like the usual can kicking and burying of heads in the sand. The problems won't go away by pulling the funding.

I had always favoured the offline options as it favoured a catch all solution, with scope for freight, cars and public transport. I was disappointed they went for the online upgrade but accepted that the solutions they offered would increase the safety of current users while also diverting a lot of the local journeys away from the national route and onto existing and new link roads.

Was the perferred option perfect, far from it, but at least it was something. Now they've pulled the funding we'll have nothing accept broken promises and pipe dreams. Until they ring fence billions for the trainline and bus corridors everything else is lip service. Meanwhile the council and aBp grant more and more residential permissions with no plan for infrastructure let alone machines on the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Yes but the biggest problem is the Bray to Greystones section of the railway. It desperately needs a more inland route that is double track. And that will be very expensive and likely just as contentious as the road.

Ideally both would be done - road and rail... but this is Ireland where we often do with neither.

Railways don’t attract the same kind of environmentally-motivated opposition as roads, and having a railway station near to your house does wonders for Property Value, the basis upon which many planning objections are really brought.

they'll never move the railway inland in North Wicklow, apart from the expense of the infrastructure you'd have to demolish swathes of houses in Bray and Greystones to bring it through the towns. New tunnel through Bray Head and extensive coastal defences at the vulnerable sections would probably be cheaper and less contentious

They could possibly move it inland south of Greystones though by moving it closer to Kilcoole and Newcastle and moving Wicklow station up towards Rathnew. AFAIK though the current plan for there is extra sea defences.

I'm skeptical of this idea that they'll return to this plan a few years down the road when the pesky Greens are out of govt - is the climate crisis going to have been solved by 2025? Will we go back to the mindset where more roads are considered the answer to congestion? The next govt could contain the SDs who have been complaining about the Greens not being "green" enough.

It hasn't been cancelled, issue is funding this year. There's still a lot that could be done regarding bus travel as well - rail isn't the only the PT option there is. Pre-pandemic, buses were at capacity, even with them being subject to the same traffic as private vehicles.

• Advertisement

I understand that, but how much money are we really talking. One of the biggest problems during the last recession was that they pulled the money from the design teams to save pennies. Then when the public finances improved we were left with nothing available and projects having to go back to square one. The only people who win are the consultancy firms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭crushproof

Tell that to the residents of Dublin 6 and Eamon Ryan who vemently opposed the southside aspect of the Metro all because of one level crossing being shut. Regardless the key for the N11 for the time being should be a proper bus priority. Any imrpovements to the railway are decades away, if ever.

Any infrastructure project in this country is held up for years because of delays, drawn out planning procedures, politics and NIMBYS.

Any improvements to the railway are decades away, if ever.

obviously this is with the caveat "if it happens", but Dart+ will increase frequency to Greystones (probably take 10 years for the infrastructure works though), and the arrival of new battery rolling stock in 3 years or so will possibly free up units to increase frequency further south.

Bus priority is the only medium term solution. Capacity, and them being caught in the same traffic as private cars, has always been the issue.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Public display of the N11/M11 Bus Priority Interim Scheme this week in the Glenview Hotel

The main M11/N11 scheme is on hold due to "funding constraints" (translation: until the obstructionist is not longer in charge at the Department).

• Advertisement

To be honest, it wasn't just ER. As a community we won't get any upgrade to this section of road. Nearly every element of it came up against objections, from various local groups, property owners and politicians sticking their oar in.

Even after the initial objections to various colour routes, Arup came up with good practical but pragmatic solutions to solving the flow rate on the red route but it went over most people's heads and they resorted to complaining about everything.

As long as they could join the n11 at the same spot they always have, that was the main thing and screw the fact that its a national route used by thousands of others.

Post edited by prunudo on

I think the delay, along with this fudge of bus lanes, might be a little more strategic and long term than it looks.

Clearly they want to widen the road in the Glen for the N11 upgrade, but equally clearly they cannot do so thanks to the Habitats Directive, which is very strict with zero tolerance for any potentially adverse impact on a Special Area of Conservation.

The directive states that if there is an alternative to widening then they must choose that in preference to works in the Glen, and cost is not a factor to rule out an alternative. Obviously an alternative is to reroute the road, hence Habitats Directive says no to widening road in Glen.

Hence why the preferred option as published, left the Glen section untouched because nobody wants to reroute the road and incur those costs.

However key to the Habitats Directive is the alternative is to whatever project is being proposed.

So if you propose widening the road in the Glen a little in order to accommodate bus lanes on an existing road, then obviously there is no alternative because there is no other existing road.

Hence the road can be widened in Glen for bus lanes and comply with the Habitats Directive.

Wait a few years and then say, gosh this is a national strategic route, we'd really be better off converting the N11 into three lane motorway, and rerouting the buses. We don't need to worry about the Habitats Directive because we don't need to widen the road, it's already wide enough so just converting the bus lanes that are already there into a different traffic lane will not have any adverse impact on the SAC.

Job done. It will take a bit longer than intended, but ultimately it is the only way to get around the Habitats Directive.

Honestly can't see them ever doing that. Throughout the whole consultation process there was never any mention, either presently or in the future of having 3 lanes of regular traffic. A 3rd lane for buses maybe, but not general traffic.

The biggest issue with the current road is local traffic using a national route for short duration, joining at one junction and leaving at the next. Hence why the last plan with link roads and minor access closures would have been a great solution once the off route options were shelved.

But alas there were too many local objections And now we still have a congestion road and commuters using back roads as rat runs and cheating at every junction.

So if you propose widening the road in the Glen a little in order to accommodate bus lanes on an existing road, then obviously there is no alternative because there is no other existing road.

Hence the road can be widened in Glen for bus lanes and comply with the Habitats Directive.

There is an alternative, and it’s even better for the Habitats Directive: reduce the whole road down to 80km/h, set out as one lane general traffic plus one bus lane each way, with an offline N11 bypassing the whole Glen: in other words, do what should have been done back in the 1990s. Unfortunately, there was that most sacred of sites – a golf club – on the best route for such a plan, so instead we end up with this nonsense.

Here’s the Glen. The hatched area is the Special Area of Conservation, the orange is the area protected by the Habitats Directive.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭AAAAAAAAA

A concept that is becoming more and more common in Denmark is to roof over motorways to reduce noise in Urban areas. I wonder if that concept can be combined with wildlife crossing bridges and green roofs for this site, at the very least reconnecting the two sides of the habitat.

I think the problem in the Glen is it is the trees that are protected specifically rather than the wildlife. So no matter how wildlife and environmentally friendly the plan may be, if the plan necessitates cutting down trees it's a non starter because of the Habitats Directive.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Let me summarise.

Traffic engineers who do this for a living came up with ideas to improve the road but local people "didn't like these ideas" so now they won't be built. What do local people know about traffic engineering? So a middle-aged couple in Delgany can overrule experts who have years of experience in these things?

If ever there was an argument for not having public consultation, it's here. Sometimes locals complain about consultation just being a "box-ticking exercise" but sometimes you kind of need to ignore the locals as many of them are ignorant. Through no fault of their own, but ignorant nonetheless.

Thats exactly what happened, and when the first group got their way, the engineers went back, drew up revised plans and then a new group appeared and they weren't happy, rinse and repeat.

Not just here but there are important projects up and down the country that are badly needed but are taking far to long to get through not even planning but through the consultation periods.

I wouldn't say they're ignorant, probably more selfish, they don't want change and want to contuine living and doing as they've always done without realising some infrastructure is more important than local issues.

Bypassing the Glen on either side is hugely problematic and widening through the Glen is probably impossible due the environmental restrictions. The only practical option is a tunnel but that's impossible to justify on cost grounds. The existing proposal of tidying up the mainline and building some distributor roads is the only likely outcome if funding is made available in the future.

I'll be interested to see what the bus priority proposals consist of - the recent announcement made it look like they were planning to build P&R but do nothing about priority which would obviously be pointless (who's going to park, wait and then sit in a bus when they could sit in the same traffic in their car).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭josip

Could they do a twin cut and cover tunnel through the existing route? The tunnel traffic could be for mainline traffic through the Glen and the existing road network relaid over it for all the local distributor roads. Similar to the underpasses in Paris/Munich on the internal ring roads, but on a bigger scale. Traffic through the Glen would be reduced to single lane for a couple of years of pain while it's being done. But it would avoid the NIMBY and ECO vetoes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement