Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Scream 5

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,270 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'm Sidney Prescott of course I've got a gun :)

That looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

The trailer makes it look better than what I would have expected anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Won't bother watching the trailer as I'll go see it anyway but didn't even know this was coming, never mind coming in January.

Maybe I heard about it ages ago as another rumour, so nice surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭flasher0030

The main thing about this film is who will be the big reveal at the end - who will be the killer.

I just have a feeling that it will be one of those movies that seems tense enough, but then will be let down by something stupid at the end i.e. the reveal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Based on the trailer it doesn't seem like the OG have any involvement bar feeling a responsibility to catch the killer, so whoever it ends up being at least they won't be trying to connect it to Sidney.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

The trailer for this looks really good.

The two directors did Ready or Not which I absolutely loved so expecting big things here. Especially as a huge fan of the Scream movies (bar Scream 3 which I despise).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Scream 1 was an excellent concept and was cleverly put together.

I cannot remember much about the other 3. I did watch them all, but there was noting memorable for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

The only way I would be excited to see this movie would be if the opening scene killed off one of Sydney, Gail or Dewey (ideally all three). They have really survived far too long. Also Neve Campbell is a charisma-free lead and Courtney Cox's surgery makes her look demented. Less screen time for them hopefully. The trailer makes this film look less meta than it's predecessors, and hopefully this more serious tone will shake things up a bit. My money's on Hughie from The Boys being the killer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,508 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Seen the trailer for this and it just looks like more of the same a killer that can just be here and there and l

Knows about everything like security and alarms just like its easy peesy.

This is coming out 20 years and 3 months too late and 10months to early. Very bad timing.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,789 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Out here January 14th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,811 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I think I will go and see this at the weekend!

Early social media reactions are very good (but tend to take those with a pinch of salt)

• Registered Users Posts: 60,270 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It can't be that brutal with a 16 rating.

Odd it is a 16 here and UK it seems to be an 18. We tend to pretty much mirror them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

TBH the full 18 rating in Ireland is usually reserved for things that really push boundaries these days - a Titane or Bad Luck Banging (surprised the latter wasn’t a ‘club’ only film though). 16 would be a fairly standard rating for any bloody mainstream horror movie.

UK doesn’t have the ‘in-between’ rating that Ireland does so they’d default to 18s more often. Even Midsommar - which contains some pretty unsettling gore scenes IMO - is 18 in the UK and 16 here.

Post edited by johnny_ultimate on

Early reviews are now coming out....positive!

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Dontfadeaway

Yeah 93% on RT so far. Pretty great for a horror.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

Who cares about critic opinions and stupid scores for any movie

It is a Scream movie - it will fun and hopefully have lots enjoyable moments of murder

wrong time of year for it though - slasher movies belong to the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

Some people obviously care hence there being people whose job it is to review movies. And then sites like Rotten Tomatoes and Letterboxd, IMDB and Metacritic. Bizarre comment.

I don't think anyone is letting critics make up their mind for them however it is promising to see a movie being positively reviewed - obviously.

Given that there were new directors taking over a long established franchise previously helmed by one man, again the reviews are a good indicator that it wasn't completely mishandled.

Anyway, I loved Ready or Not so if they manage to capture that essence and bring it to the Scream franchise (of which I am a fan of 1,2 and 4) then I cannot wait to see this.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,566 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Cool, they should bring out a movie called

I Know What You Did Scream Last Friday The 13th On Elm Street

There is one with pretty much that title...Shriek If You Know What I Did Last Friday the 13th...it's crap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

There are plenty of people who let ratings and critics make up their minds. Bizarre comment to say it doesn’t happen.

plenty of websites exist regardless of whether people care or not plus it is proven that these scores can be be interfered with

and I’ve never seen reviewing a movie being referred to as job before

and you are missing the point - who cares about reviews and scores

it is Scream

• Registered Users Posts: 9,676 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I was probably gonna wait till this leaked and watched it at home with a few beers, but definitely going to see it ASAP based on the reviews.

I am booked in for Sunday looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

I didn't know the Ready Or Not person made this. That makes me optimistic. Might actually visit the picture house to watch it now. On a side-note I saw Daniah from the Leftovers in the trailer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,050 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Saw the original earlier this year. Would it be important to see the others before catching this?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Hard to say without having seen the new one, but Scream 2 is essential viewing and on par with the first one for me, so maybe watch that at least? All the sequels are quite self-referential with lots of nods and inside jokes, so it helps if you have seen the previous ones, although you can just enjoy them as fun popcorn flicks. The main trio and some great actors in supporting parts make it worthwhile to seek them out. Scream 3 and 4 are divisive and have many detractors, but they're also quite fun in spite of their flaws, just not as thrilling and suspenseful as the first two.

I don't hold a tonne of weight on review aggregate sites like rotten tomatoes (you get 100 vaguely 3/5 star reviews - you get 100 percent...) but I do listen to the reviews from some critics (love the kermode podcast). But I judge for myself, he seemed to love last night in Soho and I definitely did not.

I would be going to see it anyway as you say it is scream, I am not expecting high art!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,050 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I saw Scream 2 many moons ago and that's it. Scream 4 is on Netflix. I don't like buying films on Amazon or Google Play but I might stomach it as the new one looks really good.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Cox is unrecognizable on the movie poster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

Saw this earlier and it's not the best. I won't say too much as I don't want to spoil it for anyone but the whole thing feels stretched, like that cow has well and truly been milked and now they really need to leave it alone. It zips along at a decent clip but all in all its just not very interesting. The only real bright spot is Melissa Barrera who seems to be acting in a completely different and better movie than everyone else, she's really good. Probably not worth spending money at the cinema, maybe wait til it comes out on Netflix or whatever in a few weeks or so.

Advertisement