Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Scream 5

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

stretched is a good term to describe it.

I found it fine, if a bit weird that it's coming out on the heels of Matrix Resurrections and is basically doing the same commentary as Matrix Resurrections. Its strange to see it work a bit better in Scream because it was always a franchise that directly made meta comments so making one on the nature of what cinema audience want today is fine. But in a strange compliment to the earlier sequels those meta commentaries tended to be a smokescreen and both this one and Scream 4 seem to have dropped them being smokescreen and making them what the films are about to some extent which I think is a mistake.

Overall it kept my interest but I feel there was easily a better film in there that be it covid restrictions or some other reason they didnt get the time to coax out of the script/filming.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,815 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Well that was disappointing. Better than 3 and 4 but not even better than 2 imo. A couple of decent kills Cox and Campbell were also great when on screen (which wasn't enough). The new cast poor, the central girl meh. Lots of kind of obvious nods, winks and Easter eggs.

It was also kind of poorly put together...inconsistencies even around what time of day it was...which you wouldn't notice in a better film annoyed me.

No spoilers but predictable as well.

I had high hopes given how fun ready or not was. It felt dated despite the modern references they had shoehorned in.

4/10

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I didn't like this. I'm a big fan of Scream, even don't mind Scream 2 bar the ending being disappointing, but never liked 3 or 4. I wish they just tried something fresh and not The Force Awakens approach, as they reference in the movie. That's not to say I didn't enjoy seeing David Arquette and Neve Campbell in it. Dewey was the best thing about the movie in fairness. Trying to tie this plot to the originals required some bending and contorting from the writers that just wasn't worth it.

The new cast are forgettable, and don't have any of the authenticity or charisma of the original cast and characters. It was quite gory with the kills at times, but that doesn't make up for disappointing jump scares, and tension. The constant referencing of the Stab movies and ultra Meta chat among the characters just takes you out of it. They may as well break the fourth wall at this stage. I know it's a Scream movie and they should poke a little fun, and be knowing but this was OTT. Particularly by the time the ending is in full swing.

If this franchise is to continue then I don't care to see the new characters again. Give me something that throws you. Have Ghostface get killed in the opening stalker scene, only for the 2nd ghostface to appear and complete the kill. Give the whodunnit aspect a bit of a kick, and make it feel authentic again, rather than a sense of eeny meeny miny moe among the blank characters in the mix. For all the reasons the first Scream works so well, part of that is because the whodunnit felt earned, and fulfilling when revealed.

It might just be me, but I couldn't help think that the directors are not great at shooting in the 2:39:1 ratio here. Not to say that this is the case, but it looked at times like it was filmed to suit a 1:85:1 ratio and cropped into the wider, cinematic format.

Ha! I thought it was just me with the time of day. Who knew it could take you from full on daylight to night to get from one side of Woodsboro to the other?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

It's a crock of ****. It's what you'd expect from a Scream sequel but a hell of a lot worse. Predictable, humourless and the new lead actresses are bland, with Campbell and Cox barely registering in the movie at all. A disgrace of a movie really. I enjoyed sitting in the cinema though :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,053 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I feel like the whole meta humour thing has been overdone at this stage. The original felt like an homage and was fresh at the time. This just came across as the writers being completely and utterly out of ideas. Their response seems to have been to regurgitate the original with smartphones but to make it so obvious nobody would mind. 

I thought it was ok. Standard fare. Nice to see Jack Quaid in a film. Haven't seen Courtey Cox in some time and she looks dreadful. 

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,332 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I'm nearly afraid to say that I really enjoyed it as it doesn't seem to have gone too well here. Easily the best one since the original for me, though clearly a couple of levels below that which is to be expected given that the twist is expected now rather than being a genuine surprise like the original.

I did feel that some of the casting was a bit off though. Won't go into that too much other than saying one or two or the better actors were underused and really should've been in more prominent roles, but I can see scope for one of them in a sequel.

Haven't seen Jack Quaid in anything before, very solid performance, thought he was the cut of Liev Schrieber so I was half-expecting a twist there but that wasn't to be. Probably just as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,053 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

You're allowed to enjoy things. I didn't hate it at all, save for:

Dewey's death.

It was nice seeing some of the old cast back together. I just think the formula has been stale for some time hence the decision to lean so heavily on the original.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Saw it last night and have to say I loved it , the only thing I didn't like was the lead girl I thought she was terrible and had me rooting for her to be a victim which is never good but other than that I really enjoyed it

Agree with the others the cut of Courtney Cox especially when you put her next to Neve Campbell who still looks amazing

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The film's 'fine' - there's a fun resolution to the 'whodunnit' (unsurprising though it may be, the motivation is fun), and there's some clever filmmaking on display. There's one very fun sequence where the filmmakers constantly use the visual language of horror films to make the viewer expect a scare, but extend it for so long it basically becomes an extended deadpan comedy sequence.

But it ultimately runs into the same fatal flaw Scream movies always do: there are only so many times you can point out the cliches of the genre while happily indulging in them at the same time. This is a very straightforward slasher movie, albeit with a few meta, self-aware gags. That's the Scream way, and you could forgive it first time around as at least it was fresh (albeit with New Nightmare as a template). But four sequels later, the joke's outstayed its welcome (despite some more modern reference points). What a really inventive Scream sequel would do is break the rules and foundations it lays out in ways that are genuinely surprising. Here, you have a film that constantly points out it's a legacy sequel, but really it's every bit the same straightforward legacy sequel as the ones it mocks and teases throughout.

All you're left with is another straightforward Scream sequel and legacy sequel, albeit with a few decent scenes scattered throughout. Ready or Not was better.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

i went yesterday as we had cabin fever and 10 mins later i had completely forgotten i had gone such was it's shiteness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I took myself off to see Scream this afternoon. I thought it was fairly watchable even if it's a well trodden path at this stage.

It was nice to see Billy Loomis/Skeet Ulrich make an appearance. There were a bunch of teenagers in front of me who didn't have a clue who he was and it made me feel ancient.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

I thought it was okay was expecting more given the initial reviews but if I hadn't seen them probably the film you could expect at this point.

A bit of fine tuning and it would have been all the better for it as some of the inconsistencies/flaws were hard not to shake the head.

A lot of the new cast were ropey enough agree on the lead didn't think the sister was too bad (Jenna Ortega), she actually played the troubled young girl in season 2 of 'You'.

Below also contains Scream 4 spoiler...

With the Emma Roberts part of the reveal in Scream 4, it was hard to ignore Jack Quaid being similar this time around most known of this new bunch I actually would have been well fooled if he wasn't in on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Dontfadeaway

Scream 6 has been announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,270 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The 2022 cast just didn't have the chrisma or likeability of the original 90's cast.

Even 26 years later Campbell, Arquette, Cox & spoiler outshone all of them whenever they were on screen.

Ulrich

Remarkably tolerant to massive violent stab wounds the cast. I mean Cox has had her fare share of procedures, but still...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I enjoyed it. For sure, it has nothing on the original but I didn't go in expecting that. I got what I thought I'd get, a bit of tension, some meta-commentary, a decent whodunit, and some good kills. I think they did well to find a new angle on the series with Sam and her history. Though I found the hallucinations to be a bit out of place and not in the spirit of Scream, especially that last 'nod' which veered in to some sort of divine intervention. The opening attack was brutal, and really captured the tension of the original. The new cast were decent but yeah I agree they lacked much interest. The twins were probably the most interesting, especially the girl as the "expert" of the group.

Amber was good too but so obviously one of the killers. The boyfriend... Jack Quaid... was a good character too and was also a decent shout as the killer. Deewie called it straightaway. Actually the whodunit aspect of this was possibly it's weakest point. I thought maybe Wes at the start but once he was ruled out Amber and the boyfriend were the top suspects. Pity that their motivation was weak. It wasn't even about infamy for them, it was about fandom making the Stab series great again. I'm fine with the meta stuff in this, it works well for Scream, but that was too on-the-nose.

Someone mentioned the time changes above. Have to agree there too. The trip to the hospital went from mid-day daylight to dusk to nighttime... in the space of 10 minutes?

On the original cast returning, Deewie was great. Sidney was nice to see back but could have been given more to do. Gale Weathers though... sorry but Cox looks terrible with the plastic surgery... like a skeleton with skin pulled over it. I feel sorry for her that she did that to herself. And it totally affects any sort of performance she could have given since her face can barely emote. Also, she added nothing to the movie.

Anyway, overall a solid Scream movie for me. Slightly obvious killers, but at least it wasn't overly convoluted... in fact it probably veered too far the other way as far as motivations go. New cast were ok, old cast were a mixed bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Very good for what it is. Could do with a few more jump scares. Some clever fan service.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Absolutely awful movie.

production is so poor, cast reflections in the opening scene, day and night changing randomnly in one part.

stab wounds with a hunting knife, to the stomach now no impact, being shot in the stomach with a n actual bullet have no impact.

One character being turned into a “pin cushion” as referred to by one character and only slightly grimacing when sitting up means a lot of the violence becomes quite cartoonish.

The penultimate kill changes that though, that was actually refreshing to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Dontfadeaway

Finally seen it. I think it might be my 3rd fav. The kills are well done, the cast were decent enough. I didn’t like the hallucinations, so hopefully they just drop that if she is in the next one.

It has its flaws but it’s definitely the strongest horror slasher franchise.

How would you rank them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭flasher0030

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,908 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

got around to watching it. thought it was fairly decent, and look forward to the next one

• Registered Users Posts: 84,803 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I enjoyed the Billy hallucinations

Advertisement