Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost-Effective, High-Functionality, User-Friendly Replacement for Pay TV

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

Thanks! Dreamexplorer did it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,316 ✭✭✭VanZan

Switched over to this too. My relative will be using it for the first time later today. Crossing my fingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Willo is a busy man it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭NewClareman

Well, it looks like my approach has evolved. -:)

I have moved, and am currently relying on eirTV. It's not too bad, but I will install a new dish, sometime. In the meantime, if anyone wants to make their image available for others to use, I'd be delighted to send on a link to allow them to post.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,316 ✭✭✭VanZan

My relative is having a few problems with WilloBuild and I'd like to go back to NCM's image. Is it as simple as just flashing his image as described in the first post? Bearing in mind Willobuild is OpenVix?

:edit Yeah it flashed no problem! Thanks NCM :)

Post edited by VanZan on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,925 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Does anyone know if there are any plans for 4K content on Freesat?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

They're struggling to keep the channels they have so I wouldn't hold my breathe waiting for a 4K channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 spaced

The new Freesat boxes are 4k compatible and the new LNBs are wideband 4k but I don't know if there is the demand or if TV stations have the money to broadcast anything other than sport in 4k

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭cuculainn

Hi All,

dragging this thread up again. i originally was running the THHB version of this for the last few years, and it has been great.

I decided to up date from that to the latest NCM version that runs open ATV 6.3

It flashed ok, but there are a few things that bug me about it.

The Fav button is not used in this version, in the previous version this would bring up the bouquets (this version seems to do this with the up arrow above the ok button) I cant find the fav button listed in any menu to assign it a function

there is no kids bouquet. can it be created? can i do it via the remote? or do i have to use some sort of editor

also there are no picons for virgin media

anyway any help appreciated. in the meantime i will be trawling through the menus!!

P.S fairplay to NewClareMan and THHB for doing all the work on these and sharing with everyone.

Hi,

This is from memory, my unit is in storage for now, until I rewire the feeds to each room...

(I have bigger fish to fry first, like fixing leaks and putting in smart radiator controls. (Oh, and lots of knotty pine woodwork to be painted white.))

The first bouquet uses the favourites functionality, I have no idea why it isn't loading from the favourite's button. I remapped many of the keys, but not this.

Any/all of the bouquets from Freesat and/or Sky can be displayed. If you go in to the ABM configuration there is a screen where you can pick the ones you want via tick box's. I advise that you don't change the region for Sky or Freesat, as this can break other options.

I never loaded the picons for Virgin media, as we didn't really use these. If you search this forum, maybe this thread, you will find how these can be added.

/NCM

• Advertisement

Thanks NCM,

I found the kids Bouquet alright after that.

the Fav button is a strange one cause when you go in to configure the buttons in the setup, pretty much every button can be configured except the fav button.

anyway good luck with all the DIY and thanks for taking the time to reply!!

did anyone get a fix for this "incompatible versions 3.1>3.3" when updating providers on ABM?

Or is it even important?

It is only important if the bouquets are not updating correctly, otherwise leave well enough alone.

The only fix I know is to update to a more recent version of OpenATV. However, that brings its own issues, I was unable to view files from windows explorer, due to the updated security. Others may have a solution, but I ended up rolling back to the current version.

Thinking new Images will need a password entered into box via remote and write it down before you forget.

If you use Filezilla you will have to now enter your saved password on box to allow a connection.

On Openvix we could delete a plugin via plugins and download a fresher copy.

In AutoBouquetsMaker there is an Update provider files that should upgrade your version.

The issue I found with later versions of OpenATV was that, even with the correct password, I couldn't connect to the box using Windows Explorer. Have you a fix for this?

In AutoBouquetsMaker there is an Update provider files that should upgrade your version. As I stated above, this doesn't appear to work with the version of OpenATV (6.3) in my build.

I wonder if you had your utilities running on box like samba and entered your box ip into pc browser.

Many years ago using explorer now on Opera and FileZilla webif and can gain access to box.

Not sure how old 6.3 is and if it needed password setup on box then .

Password was optional with 6.3 but I had it set up to 0000. From memory I had to set a stronger password for 6.4. It worked fine with ftp, but not with Samba. From explorer it asked for a password, but wouldn't accept it. I couldn't be bothered trying to troubleshoot it, so just rolled back. It wasn't as if 6.4 added any additional functionality...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Inviere

Looking for a second Tiviar Alpha Plus for the house. Have one downstairs with newclaremans image on it from 2018 or so I think.....cant seem to find a seller for another Tiviar though, are they EOL? Are there other sat combo boxes such an image would work for (auto bouquets, freesat, saorview, etc)?

The Tiviar is a bit long in the tooth. The current favourite is the Zgemma H7S which has improved performance and 4K capabilities. NCMs image will only work on a Tiviar. Since you already have a Tiviar it should be possible to copy a backup of the basic settings to another type of box (not the full image) if you are in anyway computer literate. Essentially you will need to copy a file from the old box to the new then open it on the new box. All going well it will offer to install the backed up settings such as bouquets, timers, autotimers and so forth. I'm not sure about things like ABM as I never use it.

@Gerry Wicklow thanks for that. I'd be handy enough with computers to backup/restore settings etc, obviously not applying one boxes image to a different brand/model...just settings.

I'd really need an image though that periodically scans and updates the bougets automatically like newclaremans image does on the Tiviar.

• Advertisement

You can always install extras such as auto bouquets yourself. In the majority of cases it is a simple process to add extra functions.

You can backup the settings from my image and restore them on a different box. I've only tried this with OpenATV 6.3, but I don't see why this wouldn't work with later versions too. Because you're only restoring the settings, you'll have to install the plugins first. I've listed these in an earlier post, but you should be able to list them in the Tiviar.

Cheers ncm, so with the plugins installed and the settings mirrored, the zgemma should function the same as the Tiviar (fully automated)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭gar

Hi, have 2 of these setup and did a lot of work messing about and had a good idea what I was doing. Not touched it in about 2 years as has been bullet proof.

Hard drive on one failed so swapped it out, selected initialise drive and then convert to etx4.

Pause was working then stopped and recording not working. There something silly I need to do or reverify storage locations? Possibly delete a directory on the box that the EPG might have been using while no drive installed?

Any hints appreciated

First thing I would do is check that the EPG is being stored to the hard drive, not to internal memory. The second is to ensure that autorecord is not enable for timeshift.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭gar

Thanks

Another reboot seemed to resolve it.

When I press playlist button I have to choose hhd before showing all recorded programs. Not a big issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

Hi lads could I get yer opinion on the below, is it worth taking a punt at that price?

Last time I set up one of these was a VU solo+2 (IIRC). I am looking to get back into it but am very rusty which is why I don't want to spend a lot, just yet anyways.

Looking to watch & record in tandem UK FTA , will add 500gb. Am I right to assume Openvix & OpenAtv a much of a muchness?

I got a feeling this won't be my last query. Thanks everyone.

You can set the default directory for EMC in the settings.

• Advertisement

No terrestrial tuner so you wont be able to combine Saorview into a single recording/viewing list. HD only no 4K support for future proofing (wishful thinking😄) 10/100LAN? so it might be fairly old model

Advertisement