Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost-Effective, High-Functionality, User-Friendly Replacement for Pay TV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭NewClareman

The link is in the first post - it hasn't been updated in a while, but still working grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 kc78

I have openvix and if I set something to series link it will record a repeat of the series even if its a year later and I can't figure out how to delete the series link, any ideas how to cancel it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Perhaps the easiest way is to use the web app WEBIF. Simply enter the box network address 192.168.xxx.xxx into any browser on the same network. In WEBIF you will see an option for AUTOTIMERS. You can edit or delete them there.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Movie Maestro

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭cwboy

Thanks for coming back.

Only ITV 1 is working in the entertainment section. All the other ITV channels not working along with some channels near the end of the bouquet.

My irish channels are not working too but that may be a faulty connection in the box as the ariel is fine.

• Advertisement

I just checked my box and all the channels are working fine. Is ABM configured to scan every day?

Anybody have any idea of the settings to set up permanent timeshift on this box please? Ta!

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

I have the same issue. Did you manage to get it sorted?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭cwboy

• Registered Users Posts: 42 redgerry

Hi NCM,

Have been using your image for a couple of years now and have found it terrific.

However, I've been having some issues lately.

I flashed to your latest image (20210311) a while back and lost:

(1) all of the irish channels and

(2) most of the ITV channels (ITV2, ITV3, ITV4, ITVBe, ITV4+1, ITVBe+1 are missing but ITV2+1 and ITV3+1 are still there)

I figured that something went wrong when flashing the latest image and have now reflashed it again. Same issues.

I read in an earlier post that the ITV channels can disappear from the 'Our Favourites(TV)' bouquet but would still be in the Entertainment bouquet. This is not the case for me.

Also when I tried to update the provider files in ABM after flashing (as per instructions in post #1262) I received the message " Incompatible versions 3.1 > 3.3". I have no idea what this means!

I plan on connecting the Saorview aerial cable to my TV tomorrow to discount cabling issues as the problem with the Irish channels but need a longer cable. However the Saorview is working perfectly in the other room (wired directly into my bedroom TV), so the aerial must be operating normallty.

Any suggestions for what I should do next? I know just enough to follow instructions but the more technical stuff is a little beyond me.

Thanks in advance.

Post edited by redgerry on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 redgerry

I should also add that the 'Kids' bouquet (and all the Kids channels) is also missing from the list of bouquets.

I also have checked that the Saorview region is correctly set, to 'Dublin, Three Rock'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,260 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Because the image date is old and thinking current Atv image is 6.4 is why "  Incompatible versions 3.1 > 3.3" comes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

I have updated to ATV 6.5

6.4 was buggy for me , channel changing was slow and also some combo of going into EPG and changing channel locked the box and had to hard reset it.

I see 7.0 beta is also available.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭Zardoz

6.5 is End of Line and 7.0 dont go there unless you want to tear your hair out.

Both 6.5 and 7 use Python 3 which means alot of plugins wont work on it.

Ya I dont have many plugins , 7 is beta so won't be going there .

6.4 was terrible , constant crashes. 6.5 seems okay now but early days. Will see how I go- possibly back to 6.3 🤣

Is there a change log showing what changing In releases. I heard there was some EPG functional improvement in 6.3 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭Zardoz

6.5 is beta too, they ended development before a stable version was developed and moved straight to 7.

So what's best option now - 6.3?

6.4 seems terrible need to move away from that version.

6.1 was fine.

I've 2 boxes

6.1 on one and 6.5 on other. Or maybe it's time to jump openvix...

I made the jump to openVix a few iterations back because openATV broke or removed so many functions. They really seem to have lost their way in recent times.

With Vix there are some subtle differences to get used to in the menu layouts etc and I never found a really nice skin compared to ATV but my priority is a stable, reliable system.

If you have your settings backed up from ATV they should transfer over to VIX so you can keep all your timers and bouquets.

Thanks- what skin did you use on openVix?

I did look at it but I wasn't fan of look. OpenATV looks really well and professional.

I'm using a skin called "simple ten eighty" which can best be described as functional 😀 but OK if you like a dark look. Then again my attitude is similar to RGB on PCs, when using a device I look at the pictures not the box 😁

• Advertisement

I was wondering where is EPG coming from in ATV 6.4, I didn't install CrossEPG but seems to have EPG coming through . There's also options for EPG that weren't there in 6.1

There are lot of build on techkings such as willowbuild , do they work for Ireland anyone knows ?

From a very quick look, Willowbuild is just openVIX with customisations. It should work here with a few tweaks for terrestrial settings and such like. The whole point / fun of open source is to build your own version to your own needs / tastes.

Many current images have a basic EPG installed by default. However I'm told it is very slow to populate. I still prefer crossEPG.

Hi All,

Sorry for not getting back, I've been busy preparing to move house. The Tiviar is now packed away and I won't have access for some time. Before I packed it away I confirmed that the ITV channels were still available on my box, but not on Favorites, due to frequency changes.

Bouquets missing is a configuration issue. In ABM you can select what bouquets are available - all bouquets from Sky and Freesat are on a list and you just tick the ones you want.

I tried OpenATV 6.4 but I lost access to files/programs from Windows Explorer. Apart from that I didn't see any improvements from a user perspective. The EPG improvements, such as they are, were included in OpenATV and in my last build. (The code base now includes elements of CrossEPG.)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 spaced

It is a bit of work but to ensure you don't lose stuff in your "favourites" or other custom bouquets you can transfer the channels from one of the ABM bouquets.

Example: If ITV changes frequency then this is updated properly within ABM - I have the Sky ABM at the bottom of my custom bouquets. Transfer the channels from here to your "favourites" and when a frequency change happens it will automatically pull it. I lost a few channels and stumbled across this fix (no issues since)

There are about 75 channels I want from the total channel list, so it took me a while to do this , this needs to be done within the TiViar box and not in Webif (rearrange the channels in Webif later) I didn't see an option to pull the ABM channels in Webif. (I have OpenATV 6.4 - it's the move channel function)

There is EPG for all channels - no gaps

The Sky / FreeSat ABM is good but I personally don't like the order and there is loads of stuff I don't want. It's not really designed for the Irish set up - I might only want to watch S4C or BBC Scotland once a year so they are in a separate folder. When using the box we spend about 98% of our time in the Favourites bouquet only.

@spaced

If the box has scanned in the new / changed channel it will appear in the bottom lefthand list once you select the appropriate provider in the top left panel. BskyB for satellite channels and RTÉNL for terrestrial (Irish) channels. The bottom left list is in alphabetical order. Highlight the channel of interest, highlight the required bouquet (top right) and hit ADD SELECTION TO BOUQUET. The newly added entry will appear at the bottom of the righthand list and can then be dragged to wherever you wish.

I've switched over now to OpenVix 5.4 using willowbuild from techkings. Working well , picons are really neat just missing a few for virgin Media. He has full instructions , can flash box without USB.

Think I prefer this now. Very easy to set up.

Simple ten eighty skin grows on you , the slyk skin is nice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 spaced

I want to get a new STB for a family member. I have a TiViar Alpha myself with openATV 6.4 and I think it's the business for free to air channels. But that box is from 2013 and might be getting on.

Is the H7S the way to go?

From what I read here, it seems like it is.

I would like a box sub €250 (with 500Gb HDD) so I can also get an installer for the aerials and dishes and the cost would still approximate to Sky - €360 for one year of Sky.

Or are there newer ones out?

And would you guys recommend OpenVix over OpenATV (seems there are more online resources for Vix). As the box is for someone else stability would be the key consideration for me.

If I was starting out again I would not use OpenATV. Each release makes it more difficult to use for UK/Irish services, with a clear, bias towards European users.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

I decided to make the jump from Openatv to Openvix. I should have done some research beforehand, but does anyone know if it's possible to import autotimers from 1 build to the next?

• Advertisement

1. Autotimers are stored in a file called "autotimer.xml" which can be found in /etc/enigma/ folder on the box if you have access using dreamexplorer, a PC's file explorer or filezilla. dreamexplorer is available under PLUGINS.
    2. If you have made regular settings backups from openATV you can import them into openVIX. Use dreamexplorer to locate the backup file. In Vix it should be in hdd/backup/ The files are date stamped so for example "vix-rel-SU-5.4.014-20210920-1129.tar.gz" was a backup I made last Monday. Working from dodgy memory, openATV has a slightly different folder name and different file name but it is something like "backup_some date_sometime.tar.gz", so should be fairly obvious. Simply click on the required backup file in dreamexplorer and it should offer to install it. The settings will need a restart to take effect.

In Vix you could also try, MENU>SETUP>VIX>BACKUP MANAGER> press MENU again to get more options. Use YELLOW to choose the backup file location and restore from there.

Advertisement