Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Xstation is supposed to have better compatibility overall, you do lose the cdrom drive though which is probably a plus.

As for mod difficulty, I'd say the NES and PS2 are still the most time consuming, the work isn't particularly difficult but there is a lot of it to do.

N64 can be trivial to RGB mod if you find the correct version.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I bought a PS2 with a pre-installed modchip, which was handy.

It comes with a disc to alter settings, at boot, should it be required.

Otherwise it is simply a matter of popping in a game for PS1 or 2 from any region and it just works... which is nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

If self installing and new to it, PSIO would seem to be an easier install than the Xstation but then as noted it might have lower compatibility. Active dev on the PSIO side fixing/improving game compatibility for the few which might have issues

Ya the Xstation is definitely the more complex install alright, not for the beginner but its cheaper and available to buy.

Actaully think this was the last mod I've done, haven't really much retro stuff in a while. Hopefully get into a bit more this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭Doge

I didn't even know the xstation existed until you mentioned it. How long is released?

• Advertisement

Over a year anyway, still coming out with firmware updates as well, on github so no faffing about with serial numbers & registrations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Just started watching the new Splash Wave video

Always enjoy their stuff

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,816 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So I was reminded of the totally forgettable horror of Lone Soldier on PS1. It was a launch window game on the PS1 that sold really well despite having stinking review scores because there was so little on the system at the time.

I remember warning people in school not to buy it.

Anyone remember it or have experience?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,246 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I bought it when it came out :(

Actually, funny story, I mainly bought it back then as both myself and a mate in primary school had a comic we drew called 'Violence' and the lead story was 'Lone Soldier'.

We were absolutely raging when we saw that game on shelves, were convinced we'd been ripped off. If I remember correctly, the booklet in the game even had a comic in it!

Double horror when the game also turned out to be ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bugs

While working in GameZone many years ago, a short lived and highly unliked employee recommended that to a local lad for his kid. He returned a few hours later, gave said employee some recommendations of where he could stick it along with some other things which were very entertaining.

I let him return it and gave him something that wasn't awful.

• Advertisement

Never even heard of it. Looks woeful....I love it! 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,755 ✭✭✭Inviere

Has anyone tried the Pi-storm Amiga expansion? Seems interesting....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Such a lousy game and everyone knew it, and there were so many good games to choose from.

As people came in to buy a new PS and a game or two, I never sent anyone out the door with this one.

Destruction Derby, Loaded, Battle Arena Toshinden no problem, not to mention Wipeout, but Lone Soldier was pitiful, like Rise of the Robots pitiful

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,816 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Eh, Battle Arena Toshinden was Rise of the Robots bad. I guess at the time we were all fooled by the graphics.

I've been looking at that project for awhile, the only game I'd end up playing would be Frontier Elite :D I'll await a A600 version which fits inside the case. Don't think one exists yet?

Also, makes my strange dream of an Amiga1000 more of a reality as it will allow for more chip RAM

But it wasn't Lone Soldier bad...

That was just pure sh1te.

Masters of Tera-sh1te , or whatever it was called, was the worst fighting game on the PS.

You'd press a kick button and nearly have time to take a swig of tea before a badly rendered Jedi/Sith would make a move on their opponent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭geotrig

Haven't layed eyes on toshinden since the 90s it was goodish at the time but God doesn't it look awful now

It's got that classic moon gravity of the early 3D fighters.

Looks like that link won't play as the stream is finished. Review here:

• Advertisement

That's wired, plays fine here for me. Just a regular video.

I would imagine, that if this came out in 2001/02 for the GBA it would have melted faces.

That is an incredible port of the game.

Just to be clear, this is what Tomb Raider actually looked like on the GBA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,246 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Between this and that Sunset Rider Megadrive port in the works, it just goes to show what these machines really are capable of with a bit of time an ingenuity.

They both feel like there's a dusting of black magic going on.

Watched the MVG on the same yesterday, really impressive on the GBA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,885 ✭✭✭Steve X2

The dev did a great job squeezing that onto the GBA! I know its based on OpenLara, but he would've had to do some serious optimisations to get the performance in that vid.

Open Lara in a browser for those that haven't seen it.

http://xproger.info/projects/OpenLara/

Must look into how they figured it out. The original Tomb Raider is a Quad rendered game so the GBA with it's insane sprite pushing capability and 32 bit processor would actually be a perfect fit for a port of the PC and Saturn Quad code.

Crazy to see these games I remember as tech showcases as a kid running on a browser now.

I finished the original Tomb Raider a few months ago and it still holds up and a much better game than TR2 and 3 (not played much of the following core design games).

I had Tomb Raider as a pack-in with one of the earliest graphics cards, Rendition Verite V1000.

Tomb Raider went from looking like a Saturn game to looking incredible.

I've an old GBA flash cart, I must get TR onto it and give it a whirl.

• Advertisement

Yeah I got it with my Power VR 2. The Power VR2 version was the best version of the original TR with loads of fancy effects that aren't in any other version but it's the 3Dfx versions that are currently available. Would love to have the gorgeous Power VR water effects back in the game. I haven't been able to find decent footage of this version of the game.

Advertisement