Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

That looks fantastic!

Be excited to play that when it's finished

• Registered Users Posts: 34,369 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

That looks absolutely amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Covid is rampant at the moment, every other person in the office getting sick, friends of friends getting it. Hopefully everyone has a speedy recovery and looks after themselves!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Thankfully everyone in this house has managed to dodge it so far, just a few of the youngsters waiting on their vaccinations now. It's impressive how it manages to adapt and become more transmissable though, crap for us humans ofc. 😊

Literally just back from getting pcrs for the whole family myself.

Can't wait to get back to normal now

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

We seem to be seeing most people picking it up, but I think people who are asymptomatic are in the majority, which is good news.

As long as we see it being as transmissible as Omicron but not as lethal as Delta, we'll be okay, though there is no guarantee that this will persist with future variants, certainly one that combines the two would be devastating.

Fingers crossed we will emerge from the worst of it all over the Spring, though I wonder how long it will be before large gatherings in pubs and clubs feel safe again

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,777 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It will be endemic at this stage, we will probably end up getting flu and Rona shots from now on. The good news is that evolution favours more highly transmittable but less dead diseases so hopefully this is it having engineered itself to being less lethal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yes, the discussion here in the Health Services is a duo shot of Cocid/Flu each year, and my sense is that anti-virals will take the lethality out of it.

Fingers crossed Omicron is the way forward too, the only thing that can out compete it is a more transmissible variant, hopefully the mortality rates will be even lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Inviere

What solder are folks using for general repairs/work on older consoles etc? From what I see, 60/40 leaded 0.5mm multicore seems to be recommended....but can't seem to see anywhere (on mobile anyway) that sells this type...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I use RS Pro stuff from RS electronics and they do 60/40 0.5mm as far as I remember.

I think I’m using something a bit thicker for through hole soldering on older consoles.

• Advertisement

Cheers I'll take a look at the RS Pro stuff :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,945 ✭✭✭Doge

I'm using Kester and more recently bought a wider guage of solder from Farnell, MULTICORE / LOCTITE branded. Kester is great but it's mainly sold from the US so can be tricky to buy.

Be sure to RTFM for the solder you buy to see how you go about cleaning flux, it may not need to be cleaned at all.

I used to think I needed to clean off the flux on my Kester solder and it always left a chalky residue when cleaned which was annoying but one day I learned it didn't need to be cleaned after asking in a Facebook group who pointed it out in the datasheet!

Did you get yourself a desoldering station yet inviere?

Cheers Doge. Yep I've been buying up equipment bit by bit over the weeks. I went for those Proskit ones you mentioned a while back, a desoldering station & a soldering/hot air rework station too. I want to get all the ancillary bits right though, flux, solder, etc. I got by with low end stuff for long enough, I want to step up a bit now and improve things all round.

Master of the Universe

Does this mean you're back in the modding game? :D

Not that I've anything left that you haven't modded already...!

I probably will yep, maybe more repair/servicing based though. I won't hit the level of The Last Bandit in terms of fault finding/diagnosis etc (logic analysis and so forth), but I want to be able to move beyond simple through hole stuff and onto more complex jobs like surface mount chips/components etc. I used to get by with the most basic of basic tools like a plug in soldering iron, spring loaded solder sucker etc...it's just so off putting using basic crap that makes jobs x10 harder than they need to be.

It'll be nice to be properly able to replace chassis caps etc with the desoldering gun, remove/replace chips and forth. There's still a few bits and pieces I need, and I want to do a few jobs of my own first (couple of Amiga's here need cap kits, DMG-01 IPS kit, C64 cap kit, etc etc.)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,777 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Could you microsolder a messiah ship on my PS2? 😋

Maybe in due course, I need to get back up to speed with small stuff like that. I had a quick look there at an installation video....it'd probably be easier to just import a Japanese PS2!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,211 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

With the FreeMCBoot, is there a need to modchip a PS2 anymore?

Master of the Universe

• Advertisement

I've my Modded PS2 modded again with free McBoot so I'm fine :D I'll leave Inviere alone. I just know from trying to get someone to mod my PS2 back in the day that it was a pretty gruelling job.

From watching videos of it, yea - looks a little crazy. I only used a modded PS2 last year for the first time and that was using FreeMCBoot. Before that I just used a 'test' console for my 'Tokyo Bus Guide' madness :D good times

Master of the Universe

Are there any old consoles left that are still difficult to mod I wonder, or is everything bypassed with ease now?

I suppose things that can't be easily modded with a proper 50/60hz switch or RGB like the PAL N64 and NES are still a bit of a pain.

How about the Gamecube? With the Wii being so easily softmodded kind of removes the need to get a working solution for that. I think that's probably the only console I have left which is completely untouched.

NTSC GC region mods are easy enough. Small pads though and pulling off the heat sinks is a pain.

I think the Xeno mod chip is pretty easy to install, but the soft mod trick using save game exploits works on the GC so it’s easy to boot Windwaker, load a save and be dumped into a game loader menu.

NES is all about tools and patience.

I think I'm the only person who doesn't have a heap of modded consoles. Lots of mine are stock. Just bought NTSC models instead of modding.

I do want to get one of my MDs fully modded with that RGB Chip I saw a while ago. Looks fantastic when it's done

NTSC GC - the easy mod just allows US/JAP switching, you'd still need the Xeno mod (very easy to install) if you wanted a way to spin -Rs but at this stage. I'd say anyone anyone still using the GC would just pop in a GD-ROM emulator right?

Aye, @KeRbDoG, an ODE is the way to go with the GC these days. Literally plug and play!

I thought booting Swiss then using a burned disk would work, but maybe not!

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Yes the GC loader ODE is great. Such simple install and no need to region mod the switch.

Can you believe mmmonkeys console modding website is still going after all these years. It must have been 20+ years ago I modded a SNES following his guides. https://mmmonkey.co.uk/

Ended up doing lots of console mods a few weeks ago while in covid isolation. Not sure if the toxic fumes were a good idea at the time :D

Gamecube: GC-loader ODE. Also have the HDMI adapter too but that was just plug and play at the back. Didn't bother with the region mod as swiss boots from the ODE and bypasses it.

SNES 1-chip: super CIC, 50/60hz switchless mod with coloured LED mod to show the region it is currently in.

NES: RGB mod

N64: RGB mod

Dreamcast: genuine GDemu ODE installed, Dev bios, silent norturna fan, resetting controller pcb fuse, rechargeable Cr battery, pico psu.

Fixed a few arcade PCBs too. 3x Naomi's with bad RAMs/Fans and a Bad Dudes. I actually find SMD stuff so much easier than through hole now and soldering is a relaxing hobby.

@Inviere have a look as enamel coated copper wire. https://ie.rs-online.com/web/p/copper-wire/7790690 The stuff saves tons of time as there is no need to use wire stripper.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,945 ✭✭✭Doge

The PS1 is still a little tricky. Even with PSIO you need to solder that switcher IC and you have to file off the silkscreen in order to expose the traces and solder onto them.

• Advertisement

Is PSIO still the best solution?

Advertisement