Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best Electricity Plan for new EV Owners

• 09-01-2022 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

MODs: Feel free to add somewhere else but I couldn't find most relevant info I need on the charging thread.

Having got an IONIQ 5 this week, I've been trying to shop around and get the best standard rate per KW I can find.

The best I've been able to find is 18.2c per KW with Electric Ireland but I regularly see here that people say they have 13cish rate.

Im trying to get lowest standard 24h rate as opposed to a day/night rate as I don't think I'll be charging up enough to justify a day night rate with much higher daytime/peak rates.

Thought a 2022 thread considering there's probably many boardsies with new EVs shopping around now for the best deal that we could share the info here rather than seeing little bits sporadically on threads about individual EV types etc.

Thanks.

Post edited by liamog on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,066 ✭✭✭✭KCross

There are so many variables a thread of prices doesnt have much use really and the rates are continuously changing also so its out of date as soon as you post it.

There are price comparison sites (bonkers, switcher etc) dedicated to finding the cheapest option for you based on your situation.... 24hr, day/night, smart meter, urban, rural, low usage, high usage, solar, cashback offers, etc etc.

The best advice is to get out your last 12 months worth of bills and plug the values into the price comparison sites and see what plans come out on top of the list, as they take all the above variables into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Pivot Eoin

Thanks, I've already done this yeah but didn't see anything near what some people here are reporting they're paying.

Im trying to get lowest standard 24h rate as opposed to a day/night rate as I don't think I'll be charging up enough to justify a day night rate with much higher daytime/peak rates.

Have you worked out the math on that? How many km's per year will you likely do in the Ioniq? Will it be nearly all home charging?

If you are doing all your charging at home and you do any reasonable amount of km's it will pay to have a day/night rate. The increased day rate is 1.8c and your night rate is halved! The standing charge is also ~€50 more with day/night but if you work it out it still pays for itself once you have an EV and do reasonable mileage.

Here's one example.

15k km's per yer (thats fairly average)

Ballpark figure for EV to do that is 18kWh/100km. All depends on driving style etc but in or around that.

So, thats 2700kWh's to charge the EV for the year at home.

Lets say you are a standard enough household using 4000kWh already.

Energia 24hr rate for urban customer = 18.82c/kWh inc vat

Standing charge = €304.86

Energia day/night rate = 20.63/9.90c/kWh

Standing charge = €367.21

Calculations:

24hr rate: €508.14 (EV) + €752.80(4000kWh) + €304.86(standing charge) = €1565.80

Day/Night: €267.30(EV) + €825.20(4000kWh) +€367.21(standing charge) = €1459.71

Day/Night is €106.09 cheaper for this basic example.

In reality its cheaper than that as some of the 4000kWh will also be at night rate and you can also shift a few appliances (dishwasher, washing machine etc) to night rate further increasing your savings.

If you do more than 15k km's per year then the savings will grow even further.

TLDR; Unless you do very small mileage it pays to have day/night rate once you have an EV.

Prices have sky rocketed in the last few months. 14c/kWh was common enough 12 months ago. I'd say most people are paying alot more than that now. Whatever the price comparison site gives you is what you will be paying, regardless of what anyone here tells you they are paying.

I'm paying 17.62/8.71 myself now. Most providers are in or around those rates now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,548 ✭✭✭zg3409

Check your meter type. If it has a digital display it may have multiple readings for night rate even if you are on a 24 hour rate. If you hit the buttons you get day, night and total which is a combination of two. You can also switch to a might meter, and after a year switch back if it makes no financial sense. They leave the same meter when you switch back. Avoid smart meters as typically the prices are higher at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭pad199207

But electric Ireland plan is cheaper ? 🤷‍♂️

Night rate much cheaper with Energia for us, we use megawatt a month with two EVs so that would have Energia over €600 cheaper (€300 cheaper after EI €300 "allowance")

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

The Energia EV rates are lower at night by 3.2 cents than the cheapest non-EV-branded plan and I could see how that would be the best deal for someone with two EVs.

But for someone with a single EV, I'm not so sure since the day rates on the EV plan are 3.15 cents higher than Energia's Dual Fuel (-40% + -39%) plan. It really depends on your usage pattern.

We're currently on Energia's 40/39 Dual Fuel plan. We only just got our car, so I'd like to see how charging it at night affects the proportion of our usage that is at night. Currently about 30% of our total kWh per month are on the night rate (we try to run the washer and/or tumble dryer and the dishwasher at night).

All depends, I produce around 5.5mW of electricity a year so “higher” day rate less of an issue for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ec_pc

I am on the Energia day night meter with the 40% discount and will be moving to ESB next week as my year long contract with Energia is up. ESB currently looking very attractive from a day/night meter perspective, 40 euro less on annual standing charge and no limit on unit consumption. Energia apply lower price unit limits to their customers before moving you to a higher tarriff. ESB coming in at 18.9 day, 9.3 night including VAT, we are rural.

For what it's worth, the meter reading submission and billing process with Energia is a complete mess. I enter meter readings very 2 months and these are rarely reflected in the bill, so it's one to keep an eye on. Last bill was almost 50% less than it should have been as they ignored my meter reading submission and just used an estimated value.

Currently our annual consumption is 60% night rate, 40% day.

Finally, if moving provider, call the provider and do it over the phone. ESB said it only takes 1-2 days if done over phone but can take up to 5 if done online.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Pivot Eoin

Do you have a link to that ESB (Electric Ireland) Plan? Does that plan also have a separate peak rate?

ESB are just a network operator now. I think the OP means Electric Ireland. Appears to be the first plan listed here: https://www.electricireland.ie/switch/new-customer/price-plans?priceType=E

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭crisco10

Have a 24 hour meter, currently in contract with Flogas. But am getting screwed by their multiple price increases. So much so, it looks to make sense to pay the termination fee and get out 3 months early.

Would like to convert to Day/Night meter at same time, has anyone done this? Can I sign up to Day Night rate at same time I change provider and get new meter? or is that one too many steps at the same time...

Thanks

I changed from Smart meter to Day night meter last year and moved supplier from Electric Ireland to Energia the following week. Not a good experience as the combination of a new meter and changing provider ended up with a massive bill from Elec Ireland due to a mixup in meter readings. However I think this is the right way to do it, meter first then change provider, just make sure all the meter readings are correct as the new meter will obviously start @ 0

For what it's worth, the meter reading submission and billing process with Energia is a complete mess. I enter meter readings very 2 months and these are rarely reflected in the bill,

Put your meter readings in directly via ESB Networks rather than your provider. That should solve that

https://www.esbnetworks.ie/submit-a-meter-reading

• Registered Users Posts: 27,774 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Energia are giving €135 in Cash Back to renew by the the looks of Bonkers.

I used 5000 units last year with about 35% at night rate. So if I used the same again this year I'd be €20 better off staying with Energia.

I'll move to Electric Ireland though as I expect I'll be charging at home more this year as my free €600 charging credit I got with the ID3 is almost gone so my usage will increase. I'll also try get the wife to move the washing machine and dishwasher to night time again but I was told it's to loud before!!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭harderthanf

They took out the smart meter? I didn't think this was possible. Great if it is. Does anyone know if it's still impossible to go back from a Day/night meter once you've moved?

I can do better than 18c!

Bord Gais: https://www.bordgaisenergy.ie/home/our-tariffs

Go to the "Residential Electricity" section and select whatever type of customer you are (Urban/Rural etc) and select the max discount (40%) and you will get, for example, a 16.08c/kWh (inc vat) urban 24hr rate.

Switch to a day/night rate and you get 17.29/8.56 for day/night resp.

once the smart meter is in, I’ll be looking for the best rate to switch to.

Unless you want to pay more, dont get the smart meter. Just call your provider and tell them you want a day/night rate right now and tell them you dont want a smart meter. They cannot force it on you but if you let them put it in you are stuck with it and if you select a smart tariff you cannot (apparently) go back to a day/night tariff... they will lock you into the smart tariffs which are alot more expensive (the plan you mentioned was at 28.65c, thats 11c/unit more than what I've shown above!!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭PhilBky

Spoke to Bord Gais. That tariff was not available when I last changed supplier. Their smart meter tariff is worse than Electric Ireland but a smart meter has benefits for us as we have relatives around the world and travelled a great deal (pre Covid) and will do so again and were not around to read the meter when the time came to submit a reading. ESB Networks only read 2 or 3 times a year. As we were often away for up to 8 weeks at a time, estimated bills meant money was taken from the bank whilst we were away for electricity we hadn't used and getting it back was difficult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Fantana2

I had mine taken out too. My smart meter was only in place about a month so maybe they hadn’t made up the rule to not allow day/night meters at that stage. Changed it April 2021

6.96kwp South facing

Their smart meter tariff is worse than Electric Ireland but a smart meter has benefits for us as we have relatives around the world and travelled a great deal (pre Covid) and will do so again and were not around to read the meter when the time came to submit a reading

What Im saying is you should forget smart tariffs... they are all bad value relative to standard tariffs. Stick with normal 24hr or day/night tarffs. Whatever perceived gain you see from having a smart tariff its going to cost you from your back pocket... the figures i've given you above are proof of that.

ESB Networks only read 2 or 3 times a year. As we were often away for up to 8 weeks at a time, estimated bills meant money was taken from the bank whilst we were away for electricity we hadn't used and getting it back was difficult.

If the estimate was too high in one 2 month period it would be automatically rectified in the following 2 month period when they read the meter. You dont get charged for energy you dont use and have to go through a process of refunds... thats not how the meter reading works. Its a running total so if they "overcharge" you this month they will "undercharge" you next month.... the end result is you only ever pay for what you actually use.

If you still see that as an issue and dont want to be overpaying you could simply go on a level pay plan where you pay €x every month and then pay a balancing amount at the end of the year. Or you can submit your own readings every 2 months.... even when you are away for 8 weeks you can still submit a meter reading.

Basically, getting a smart meter in to "solve" that problem is the wrong way to look at it if you have any interest in keeping your energy costs down. The smart meter and associated tariffs are really bad value right now. Be careful what you wish for, if you let them put in that meter.

I know from having looked at them that the smart meter tariffs are all bad value.

But why is this the case? Why should having a smart meter mean paying over the odds for energy? Especially since, presumably, the gov't would like everyone to be on these meters. Surely they should have comparable tariffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

I guess what KCross is saying here is true, but be careful. There is an option on these sites something like "only show deals ****.ie can switch me to today", be sure to click no (the default is yes) to this as you'll be missing out on plans that require you to go directly to the provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Lots of you are saying that the smart meter costs more. How does this work? I input details for an urban house with 40,000kwh and got the same deal bord gais deal with a smart meter as without one, same standing charge too?

day €17.30

night €8.56

standing charge €299.54

BTW the top plan they can switch you today on is over €400 p.a. dearer based on the 40,000kwh. It seems lacking that they don't give the option for how many kwh are at the night time rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,774 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The peak rates on a smart meter are extortionate and the day rate is similar to a normal day rate. The night unit is about 1-2c cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭PhilBky

Thanks for the advice but as a retired CEO of a company that operated worldwide and with decades in senior management prior to, cost is not the only influence when deciding on a supplier- of anything. Like it or not, smart meters are going to be the only meters by 2030.

There is no way I want to pay for a couple of months’ electricity I haven’t had on the basis the following bill will be adjusted. Given our normal lifestyle, we could well be away for a period in the following two months.

Level payments are a fool’s exercise for those who are both capable and economically able to pay on receipt of a bill. Relatives have in the past been either heavily in credit or been harassed to up their payment if for two winter bills on the run they have used more electricity than budgeted for, even with the summer months and less usage coming.

In our circumstances level payments would be a ridiculous expenditure leading to massive credit which, experience shows, suppliers would rather sit on than pay back in cash.

As it goes, and based on relatives’ experiences in the UK, smart meters give accurate bills and can help budget. They will be mandatory sooner rather than later and, in the interim, there will be a turnaround where customers who have meters that need to be manually read will see a premium added to their bills either by way of an increase in standing charge or an increase in the unit charge. That’s the way of the world. New technology costs more to begin with but there comes a tipping point where things switch and the old technology becomes the cheaper option.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭pad199207

So Bord Gais or Electric Ireland ?

Based on Kcross post earlier, I checked prices again and for Rural day night meter, Bord Gas seems cheaper per unit considering the 40% discount rate (Elec Ireland : 19.8 inc vat,. Board Gas are 17.62 inc VAT). Standing charge for Bord Gas about 17 euro higher per annum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MakersMark

Before Xmas, I switched from Electric Ireland to Boed Gais Best Electric, and got 16c per kWh for next 12 months (inclusive of VAT).

Standing charge remained the same.

Advertisement