Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best Electricity Plan for new EV Owners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,433 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I'm in the same boat. Signed with Flogas early last year but they have doubled their pricing so I'm on 38c Day and 18.42c Night, ex vat. Received an accurate bill for 800€ for Nov+ Dec today. After the initial shock I've switched to Electric Ireland on Bonkers, new rates are less than half the flogas ones, 16.69 cent (day), 8.24 cent (night) ex VAT

• Registered Users Posts: 64,835 ✭✭✭✭unkel

38c 🙄

Time to put up a mahoosive PV system with battery, ELM327. Your new rates are a lot better, but your night rate is still nearly twice what I pay now (although that will only last another few months then I will be hit with the big rates too)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭crisco10

I made same switch this week.

Problem with solar pv is the cost of that is rising too.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭podge1979

Bit of advice needed.

Was holding out changing as was buying an ev and meter was due to be changed.

I changed in Dec as sick of waiting to bord gais at 16c. Low and behold after that ESB networks arrived to fit the smart metre.

So am I better off now changing to a smart/ day&night plan taking the 50 euro hit.

I also have solar panels and charge the car every 2nd night. I'm thinking it may be worth the change.

Yes solar PV is one of the first things I'll be adding for our new house along with storage. As much storage as possible too.

Smart meters don't benefit the consumer so I would suggest not installing them

• Advertisement

Looking at day night rates yes but can't a smart metre work like a day night metre. Also I understand if a smart metre was refused for day night metre if you want to change in the future (for whatever reason) will have to pay.

Also you need a smart if and when they pay for surplus energy right? I've had PV for 6 months (4.2kw generation nearly 50kwh on good day) and choose to not go with a battery as WFH maybe not be massive excess power.

Sorry I just don't see the payback on 3k+ on 5kwh battery if you can get night rates.

Many people think it protects you when there is a power outage it doesn't you need additional off-grid switch setup. I have a v2l and possible v2g in the future so car has power in emergencies.

Post edited by podge1979 on

It could work as a day night meter but it is not applied as such by the energy suppliers. You can't get as cheap a rate on a smart meter as you can on day/night.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,266 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Non Smart Meters have much more competitive night rates.

Avoid them until necessary if you have a day/night meter.

Remember, you can opt out of installation - they need permission, and opting out is perfectly fine. (ESB confirmed this to me last week).

Eventually everyone will have a smart meter. Whenever eventually is..

Maybe I'm reading the numbers incorrectly but day/night rates are a fraction cheaper than smart but smart has an additional boost from 2-4 am at a much lower rate?

Referencing electric Ireland's rates here.

Also I like the idea of tracking my usage and realtime metre readings or is there an additional cost not being factored in.

They will start paying for excess from PV (maybe not today or tomorrow or soon)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭crisco10

Smart rates frequently have a crazy price at dinner time too (5 and 7pm), which is a time that's hard to avoid consuming during

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I've just moved to BG I'm on the 16.1c 24 HR rate, my meter is being changed next week to a smart meter and I'm staying on the 16.1c rate. Is it not possible for me to get a day/night rate from BG once the smart meter is installed.

If you pick the tarrif with peak rates and is 2 cent dearer.

Sorry I'm not seeing a massive difference take the electric Ireland Home Electric+ Night Boost

Similar to day night but more usage insights. I see a lot saying massive difference but I'm not seeing it to be honest an I missing something is there hidden costs buried in terms and conditions.

I'm on 16cent bord gais standard but I think switching to night boost might be good to top up the car each night!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭John arse

So i see smart meters are on the way-every house by 2024?,but apparently you can opt out if you wish.Well i won't be getting one until the smart plans drop in price!.😤👊

Sorry didn't see your post,a question-how will every house eventually have a smart meter if you have the option of declining the offer of said meter?

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

Sounds like they'll have to compete in the market. Make it worth my while and I'm happy to switch. Force me to switch to something that drives my costs up and I won't be happy.

There's a higher standing charge with those ev plans, €336 compared to €227 on the BG site.

Yeah those ev plans not worth it is only 300 cash in reality decent night saver tariff is better. Also day night more expensive on standing charge in general with and additional 20 for heating storage charge also.

Standing charge on smart meter flat rate is 17cent with standing charge of 207 not a massive difference there even.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭higster

I’m on the same and there are other “ev rates” you can switch to but from what I can calculate not worth it if a daytime user (which I am for various reasons)

Energia 6.95c night rate on a day night standard meter for 9 hrs. And that rate has actually jumped 50%!

Cheap for charging EV, and also for charging solar batteries during the winter. The latter can be used then during the day to avoid expensive day units.

What's the nearest to that for smart meters? Stull quite a way to go to match day night meters tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

Where do you see that rate? Is this after the multiple price increases last year?

Best night rate I see on their website is 9.9c

• Advertisement

Electric Car Plan

6.95c night rate incl VAT

24.13 day rate incl VAT

It won't suit everyone, but it'll be a big saver for others (solar batteries and/or EV)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,820 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Does anyone have a link to where to sign up to a Day Night rate with Bord Gais? I'm trying to find it on the website but only coming up with the day rate sign up option.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

I'm open to correction but I think that's one of the few plans that has fixed prices for 12 months.

Can't find it myself either. Smart meter installed today. I got the very nice guy to split the tails to the cu for me so I can put on a CT clamp for a monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ec_pc

Just moved to Bordgais and we are on an old style Day Night meter since this time last year when I got the smart meter removed. I have a day rate of 17.29 and night rate of 8.71 inc vat for rural area. We use 60% of our electricity on night rate and have solar panels. This tarrif is the best value for us.

However interestingly my current provider called me today after receiving the move request and tried to offer me preferential rates to stay. More or less same price as BG and some credit applied. I did call them a few weeks ago for their best rate to retain a customer and got a derisory offer. On point of principle I refused. The guy on the phone just could not see my point when I asked why did they not do this the first time I called. A little bit underhand, but if anyone is with Energia and coming up to renewal maybe its a good time to play hard ball with them!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,820 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Do you have a link to to where you signed up for that tariff please?

So when you provide your MPRN their system will determine if it it smart / traditional day / day night meter and applies the relevant tariff. The specific night tariff is not listed on the website. I had to call them to get the details.

An I correct in reading that I can't get the day/night rate that you have because I have a smart meter? It isn't a deal breaker for me I'm happy enough with my 16c 24hr rate and certainly won't be going to a smart tarrif unless they improve a lot.

Yeah just switched myself from energia to bord gais on a day/night meter,energia eventually offered me €140 euro credit to stay but bg are cheaper in the long run (0.173 c-0.085 c per unit)-i hope!

• Advertisement

Yes same here, dealing with Energia during the year was a nightmare. Lovely friendly staff but their processes seem to be a shambles. Put on the wrong tariff at the outset which took weeks to sort out. Didn't complete the move from EI correctly, resulting in huge incorrect EI bill. A general disregard to customers in terms of price increases and their "best offer" to retain me was a joke. I really thought it was sheer crass to counter offer, not a cent more would they get from me.

Advertisement