Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid infection and immunity against other variants?

Options
  • 10-01-2022 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, I am wondering... if you get covid from one variant, does it give you immunity against other variants? or else? is there any info on this? just wondering as I know of a few now who have had covid twice.. and one of them has had it for a 2nd time within 6 mths (HSE frontline worker)..

i am thinking that perhaps if the variants are so different, that you don't have immunity from one variant against another? in that case, doesn't it blow the whole concept of herd immunity?

Anyone got accurate info on this? Links would be appreciated from reputable sources.

TIA

Comments

It depends on the variant and the individual. Some offer degrees of cross-immunity and it can vary person to person. The image below shows that a prior Delta infection offers some protection against Alpha and Beta but protection against Delta from prior Alpha/Beta infection is noticeably reduced.

As for Omicron, none of the prior circulating variants significant immunity. If you're not vaccinated then do not expect any protection regardless of the time since last infection. Good news though is that an Omicron infection does offer protection against Delta and other variants.

An important point. All of this is in relation to immunity against infection. Immunity against serious illness is generally conserved regardless of variant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

Lave it so....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭sporina

Advertisement