Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Actifry & AirFryer Thread - Merged

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The original Philips so 0.8 KG according to the Amazon listing whatever that means. Surely volume is a better way to measure these things than weight?

Its more than enough for one, Ive done breakfasts frys for 4 out of it before, 2 people should be grand with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The small versions are perfect for cooking for 1-2 people, they are big enough to cook 2 portions of chips for example. You can also cook a small chicken in them if you leave the basket out.

Im not sure if the latest models of the Actifry still have the paddles that rotate and agitate the food but back in the day a few here complained that the paddles failed after a while and also if you were cooking breaded chicken they would knock the breading off and leave a mess. I think you'd be better off going with a Philips if budget allows it, if not the Tower airfryer is cheaper and will work just as well. Lidl and Aldi also sell their own branded airfryers (Silvercrest/Ambiano) several times a year and they are cheap (around 50-60 quid) and once you keep the receipt they have a 3 year warranty which is pretty decent. But if you have the budget Id go with a Philips as theyve proven to have good longevity, mine is on the go about 4 times a week and has lasted 6 years now and is still flawless.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,776 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Thanks to you all, very helpful indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Anyone got experience with the Lidl or Aldi versions?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭savemejebus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Have read a few pages back but not found anything...

Sorry if this has come up before, we have tefal actifry about 2 years now, we are putting frozen chips into it (have tried lots of different types from lots of shops), we are regularly getting broken up chips, some says it's perfect, other days half of the chips will be just broken into crumbs...

Any ideas?

Right, yiz have me convinced!

I spotted the one that Thargor linked in HN for what seemed like a good price, so I've ordered it.

I hope it's as good as I hope!!

Im sure you'll love it, they are arguably the best kitchen gadget invention since the microwave all those years ago. I wouldnt be without one at this stage, they are just so much handier than firing up the main oven.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I don't find it as bad with frozen chips as with fresh spuds. Wet potatoes seem to fair the worst. Are your frozen chips icy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Might be a bit icy at times alright, but I do tend to try off any noticeable ice. The chips aren't turning into mush, they are nice and crispy.... Just unfortunately broken into tiny crumbs!

• Advertisement

Machine arrived (via a neighbour's house 🙄), and I'm very excited about using it!

There's no manual/usage booklet at all, so I googled a bit - and there seems to be all sorts of controversy about how it's impossible to clean it, and your house will fill with SMOKE and all your SMOKE ALARMS will go off and you'll be poisoned with the TOXIC SMOKE....

What do you guys do in terms of cleaning???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭54and56

What type of machine do you have?

I've had a Philips and now a Ninja and never had any issues with smoke providing I didn't use too much oil or ram too much food into the drawer and I kept the area around the device well ventilated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Kitchen degreaser and wash after each use does it. Only something particularly oily where some might get blown up onto the element might cause smoke.

Don't overfill and you should be fine.

It's a Philips.

Yes, it'll only me me using it, so no overfilling.

Washing the drawer each time is easy enough, it's the thoughts of trying to clean the innards was just a bit daunting, and all the hysterical posts online didn't help!

Be grand, I'm sure 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

I have the Lidl one that they were selling a few months ago. Silvercrest. It's my first air fryer so have nothing to compare it to, but it is a savage piece of kit. Gets a lot of use.

I have already destroyed the non stick coating on the bottom though. I had tin foil down to catch grease, but didn't bother removing it after cooking and the tin foil stuck to the bottom. When I ripped the tin foil off, I also ripped off a bit of non stick coating.

Right, I've used the air fryer a few times now - and while I'm not a huge megafan, I can see it has its uses!

Crispiest, tastest chips (frozen Aldi skin-on ones) I've ever had - full marks!

Lovely baked/roast new spuds - great.

Fish-fingers - meh, managed to be soft and dry at the same time - I much prefer them done under a hot grill.

Tried sausages today - and holy moly, the SMOKE!!!! 😱 Had to open two windows to try and fumigate the place, and I'm freezing now.... I also prefer the crispy skins of the sausages done low and slow in a pan, so I won't be doing those again!

Is it OK to soak the bottom third of the drawer/basket in hot sudsy water (just covering the mesh)? I don't know why I think it might not be - I can't see any moving or electrical parts - but just in case I wanted to check - it was a greasy mess after the saussies today, and a divil to clean.

Next test is going to be a fresh beefburger - will this also turn into a greasy smokefest? Anyone have any tips for doing them (Angus burger from Lidl).

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Badabing1

I have the Lidl silvercrest too few years now, I find it great. I wouldn't do sausages or burgers in it though, bit too greasy I think. Chips, chicken wings, breaded chicken, spice burgers all come out lovely in it.

Just tried salmon darnes in the air fryer. Very delicious.

In order to not stink out the contraption I wrapped them in tin foil. Loosely wrapped at the top to let some steam out. Before wrapping them, I sprinkled some cajun seasoning and lemon juice over them, then closed it up. Threw them in for 12 minutes at 180. No turning or shaking. Delicious. You'd probably get away with 10 minutes for a super moist fillet. They were the skinny-ish darnes you get in Lidl/Aldi. 4 Darnes for €6 or thereabouts.

Post edited by JackieChang on

Not sure how to quote your post bit by bit on this new boards. Is that possible? I'll just have to paste your comment bit by bit.

Crispiest, tastest chips (frozen Aldi skin-on ones) I've ever had - full marks!

They are pretty good. I found that they're best around the 10 minute mark - still a bit greasy like they came out of an oil fryer. But has a bit of crisp. Not a fan of them too dry/crispy. I'd try Aldi's skinny fries too, the McDonald style ones. Think they just call them French fries on the packet. Around 10 minutes again with a shake and they're perfect.

Fish-fingers - meh, managed to be soft and dry at the same time - I much prefer them done under a hot grill.

I found they went a bit shyt as well, they got all deformed. I think we forgot to apply the air fryer rule though - cut the cooking time. If it says 10 minutes on the packet try 6 or 7 minutes. Got stuck to the basket too. Still tasty though. I was surprised at how much grease dripped out of them actually.

Tried sausages today - and holy moly, the SMOKE!!!! 😱 Had to open two windows to try and fumigate the place, and I'm freezing now.... I also prefer the crispy skins of the sausages done low and slow in a pan, so I won't be doing those again!

Deep fried sausages are the only way. Give it a go. It'll give you that cafe / hospital / hotel style sausage. (because that's what they all do - deep fry them to ****). Tried them in the air fryer and they were to tough. Like eating pig cracklings.

Is it OK to soak the bottom third of the drawer/basket in hot sudsy water (just covering the mesh)? I don't know why I think it might not be - I can't see any moving or electrical parts - but just in case I wanted to check - it was a greasy mess after the saussies today, and a divil to clean.

I do that all the time. Don't use any super strong degreaser stuff. I've heard that can mess with the coating.

Next test is going to be a fresh beefburger - will this also turn into a greasy smokefest? Anyone have any tips for doing them (Angus burger from Lidl).

Not sure what is causing all these smoke fests. I do burgers all the time. (Lamb burgers from Aldi - 10000% recommended)

I've heard your first use of the air fryer can cause a bit of smoke. But you've obviously had a good few runs of it. The only other thing I can think of is bits of food have splattered onto the heating element above, and they're burning off it. What is your exact model of air fryer? I think your sausages were probably splattering grease up onto the heating element.

I've only had the fryer (Philips) a short while, used it 4 or 5 times so far - no smoke until the sausages today - and yes I suspect it was the grease spattering up into the element that caused it. I much prefer them done in the pan, though - so that won't be happening again!

I'm cutting the cooking time on everything, including the fish fingers - but they just didn't work (to my liking anyway).

I didn't do the burger this evening after all - but delighted to hear you've had success with them! They're in the fridge, so I'll give it a go in the next day or two.

Interesting to see your post about fish wrapped in foil above..... I can't get microwave oven limitations out of my head for some reason, so foil just seems all wrong!! And obviously the whole point of the thing is the free circulation of hot air around the food.

Quite the learning curve this is!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭54and56

One golden rule with AirFryers that I've found is to always heat it up empty for 3-4 minutes before adding the food you want cooked and once heated I also spray the empty tray with those one cal sunflower oil bottles. They emit a very fine spray which creates a very light coating on the tray floor and walls. I find this combination minimises anything, particularly anything breadcrumbed like fish fingers or chicken nuggets etc from sticking to the tray and it also results in a crispier coat as the outside of the food heats more quickly than it does if it goes into a cold tray.

Yeah, I don't have any of the spray (hate them!) but I have been brushing lightly with rape seed oil.

Just on the sausages- anything that has high fat content will spit the fat upwards into the element and cause white smoke to come out of the air vent at the back of the airfryer. Bacon is particularly bad. I run mine underneath an extraction fan that is switched on anyway. If there is loads of smoke billowing out of it you can open the drawer (do this underneath an extractor) and that will release a plume of smoke and then it wont smoke so bad at the back.

A poster here @rubadub had a solution, get one of those frying pan splatter guards and with a scissors cut out the shape of the basket. Then when doing sausages put the mesh into the basket on top of the sausages. This should help prevent fat spitting upwards and reduce smoke.

For burgers - do you sear them first, or just do them straight in the fryer?

Straight into the air fryer. Around 10 minutes -ish at 200 degrees, turning half way. There'll probably be a bit of trial and error as we have different machines and different thickness of burgers.

Well, the burger (Lidl, fresh) with fries (Aldi beef dripping, frozen) were a resounding success!

Didn't stink the house out, burger v nice (not sure it's not better seared first, might try that next time), could have done the fries a bit longer - but for an easy peasy one-pot meal, you can't beat that!!

I would say sear it afterwards? Just very quickly in a hot pan. I don't think it'd be possible to sear a pink lump of meat without actually cooking most of it. Although I've never tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Hi thinking of getting an air fryer, I know it doesn't do anything your oven wouldn't but it could be handier.

Any recommendations for one that would cook enough food for at least 2 people? Seems to be a lot of choice but some look very small in trays. Preferably less than €150.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

I have a ninja and I love it.... but if i had a choice again, i would go for the double barrel one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭celticsfan

Any Ninja owners care to share some advice?? Kinda split between getting the AF100 or the AF160..mainly just to do fries for the kids in,thought maybe the 160 would do them quicker and would it have the larger capacity too I guess being 5.2L? is that and the higer wattage the only difference between them?

Advertisement