Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Other hobbies/Obsessions?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Enough with the foreplay Fitz, get to the ridin' 😁 whatcha get?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Electric or Combustion?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

@Fitz II oh, a large portion of Stuttgart's finest!

Pictures, many pictures!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

See nothing wrong with quartz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Except the sort of man who reads it for articles about the 'Bike Boom' in America in the early 1970s when there was a short-lived craze for lightweight road bikes especially among college students.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It's mad how back then and before the interwebs where an idea in Tokyo can trend within weeks, even days, trends could take so long to transmit and how western cultures could remain quite local. The "racing bike" thing got here as a general thing more by the late 70's and we had the British Raleigh influence on top, where Choppers which had been an earlier trend in the US got here too. Of course with the success of Sean Kelly and Stephen Roche racers were "in". The mountain bikes started to get popular by the mid to late 80's, were they again took their time to spread from their origins in 70's California.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

From a 1970s Raleigh Ireland folding brochure.

I'ld say there's very little wrong with view from that seat. C'mon what you get?

I was on an FB EV group yesterday helping a guy decide between an EV and PHEV. Turns out he's trying to decide between a etron sport back and Q7. He tells me this after I ask he to put a quick spreedsheet together with his driving profile and cost of energy. Running costs may not be too of his list. They don't make what I want, an electric rover 75 estate.it had a lovely cream dial clock.

My brother is coming round with his new model 3 for a coffee and a spin, I'll need to choose a watch to wear.

On the subjects if other hobbies, I put my name down for a new AV receiver yesterday, home theatre has soaked some of my time over the last year. It's a two month wait for a receiver.

Update:

Just back from the spin in the Tesla 3. 450 HP to 4 wheels is a different world to the 204 HP to the rear in my wife's id3, not to mention the 115hp to the front of my Skoda. And the software, self driving, takes time to develop some trust by the driver.

My takeaway is my brothers Tesla 3 is twice the car my wifes ID3 is, at exactly twice the price.

Post edited by njburke on

njburke: "I was on an FB EV group yesterday helping a guy decide between an EV and PHEV."

Pedal power is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭micks_address

That guy probably doesn't need to worry about fuel costs if he's buying an etron

• Advertisement

I have a few of those too, steel tourers for cycling to work and the ring of Kerry.

That became evident when he reveled what he was considering. I had to do a cost model for replacing a commercial vehicle with electric nv200 van. There was one weekly run where it collected from 6 service depot's in Kildare dropped of the weeks load for specialized cleaning in the city centre then returned with last weeks load through the six depot's. We were pushing an open door , but included the detail for completeness, it's other people's money we were spending.

This could be a new car owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭893bet

Come on Fitz. I am getting bored looking at shite from the early last century.

I've a watch or two that would go very well with his outfit.

Just back from the spin in the Tesla 3. 450 HP to 4 wheels is a different world to the 204 HP to the rear in my wife's id3, not to mention the 115hp to the front of my Skoda. And the software, self driving, takes time to develop some trust by the driver.

A client of mine has one of those 3 performance jobs. Had an extended go in it a few months back. The acceleration is insane. No experience of any ICE car I"ve driven comes close. Different world. Your mind isn't prepared for it, or mine wasn't anyway. 😁The self driving thing is very weird alright, but no doubt like anything you'd become used to it. Granted I'm coming from the 90's and a stripped down racing snake 90's with it, so far more of a culture shock for me than most I'd imagine. I didn't get the sloppily finished stuff you hear about Tesla. I did have an extended go of a Model S ages ago and yeah it felt a little cheaper than the price suggested alright, but I found the Model 3 to be a nicely bolted together car. You could feel the weight of it though. Even there it was very much low down. Pretty much zero "feel" through the controls, though that's a feature of electric steering racks overall so not a Tesla thing by any means.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭dakar

• Registered Users Posts: 16,435 ✭✭✭✭banie01

@njburke They don't make what I want, an electric rover 75 estate.it had a lovely cream dial clock.

I hear MG are back and the new Rover 75 is the MG5 😉😛

I might take a look. But what I actually want was the lovely place to sit that the 75 was, with its leather, walnut and art deco with an electric drivetrain.

I had two of them, a drunk driver spared me but killed my first 75. Great community around the 75, there was a club for meetups, fondling and spares. There were Tweeks and mods, like fitting a Renault 5 thermostat into the top hose when the factory fitted thermostat was buried with the water pump and had drifted off it's specified setpoint. Fixing and firing up it's webasto fuel burning heater was a high point for me. The M47 and jatco box were great, especially with the remap.

I went with a 2014 superb Laurin and Klement in cream leather and dark brown coat, also quite nice but not the same.

• Advertisement

Agree with you there wibbs. The self driving wasn't an issue for me, it was like a 'trust the force Luke, there's science and engineering behind it". We did tweak the feedback through the steering but it just made it lighter to steering input. The interior was nice bit American but nothing oozed quality or expectation for me. The splash of wood on the fascia was a splash of plastic. Unlike the early 75s where real trees had given their lives, we are not doing that anymore it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Taycan 4s. Had a Tesla model 3 performance before this after a long line of BMW M cars. This is a technological marvel on another level. Not as fast in a straight line as the tesla but about 4 time quicker round a bend. Charges really really fast too. I was super lucky to get an allocation for one back in september so I was in a rush to get cash...no problem 24 hours later sold some watches and cash in hand. Super pleased with it and the entire experiance of buying it was terrific. Makes the AD experiance in weirs look like a total shambles.

Wow, that's some motor.

Well wear and easy through those corners or Sir Isaac Newton will take over the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭893bet

It’s a little bit “holy ****”.

I would love to

a) Be able to afford to buy it

and more importantly

b) Have the pair of Bollox to buy it and not do something more sensible with the money. Life is short!

Well wear! I hope you don’t exit the watch game for too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

@Fitz II Well wear, sir!

What a lovely car.

I had a good spin out in a Model S P90D. Even with four adults onboard, Ludicrous Mode was fun. The only thing that out does it is litre sportsbike performance.

I'd imagine the Porsche is a lot better at going round corners, and more fun to boot.

Nice looking car but what's the point of going round corners faster?

To get away from the green eyed monster.

Thanks, yes if you were being pursued I expect being able to corner faster could be an advantage. It's never happened to me while driving but it did once when I was cycling down in Clare and a dog chased me and bit my leg. It wasn't that he was better at cornering more a case of being quicker going uphill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭scwazrh

where you cycling in the middle of the road or side by side with another cyclist at the time as well?

• Advertisement

It was a country road and I was alone cycling, came down a hill and this dog ran out from a house. Unfortunately the road started going uphill and he managed to get a bite in.

I went back to the where the dog had come from but the woman had 'never seen the dog before'. Reported it to the guards and they asked if I wanted to make a formal complaint but as that could have led to the dog being put down I just settled for the guard calling to warn them.

Advertisement