Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Has anyone got recommendations for a good / interesting / different half marathon training plan?

I'm in no man's land at the moment having just finished (Can I still say that after 2 weeks?) the Hanson full marathon plan and really enjoyed it and I've now signed up for the Half in Paris early March.

Things I'm looking for in a plan are quite simple 5/6 days running and one that supports a target time of 1'25 ish.

Thanks

Have you ever tried a plan from this book?

Faster Road Racing: 5K to Half Marathon https://g.co/kgs/g9FVb5

His plans can be quite tough but they are achievable if you are motivated I find them will laid out and easy to follow in comparison to the ones in Daniel's book.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭kittyclaws

Thanks Murph_D & Enduro :) The only thing that puts me off trail running is my speed - I always assumed IMRA was aimed at faster runners but maybe it is something I should look more into, I live close to the hellfire club and often run there so the location definitely suits, thank you for the recommendation :)

The only ultra I can find that might suit is the Longford ultra in April (tho 10 x 5.2km loops might break me!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

If you enjoyed the Hanson marathon method, why not try the Hanson Half Marathon method? Seperate book, very similar approach - Speed/Strength sessions on the Tues, HM paced runs on the Thurs. Six days running with LR on the Sun. I've used it and it is certainly capable of delivering if you are in shape for that kind of target.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

The Portumna Forest marathon also includes a 50k and a 100k, all done on a lovely, flat 5k loop. It's very well organised.

The Langford Canal course is a bit mind-numbing, running down one side of the canal and back to other way did get a bit old after a few hours, but the one time I did it it was very well organised as well, and I would not rule it out.

There's a 50k in Tralee as well. And the Kerry Way Ultra Lite at 58k is a decent option as well if you like trails.

All of the above are well worth it, Donadea would usually be the number one choice but is sold out for next year (and if you are slower than 5 hours make sure you can handle being on the receiving end of a sarcastic comment)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Euro Fred

What constitutes a slow run?

I think I should be doing them but not sure how slow I should I go.

Is it more heart rate than speed, keeping it in zone 4 going by Garmin Connect type of thing?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

IMRA is extremely inclusive, with a very wide range of runners, in speed and ability terms, taking part in nearly every race. Give it a go ASAP! As I say, your only regret is likely to be that you didn't start sooner.

Also, bear in mind that any hilly race is going to feel like a step up in effort (and will take more time) than an equivalent distance on the flat. So if you want to step up in effort as opposed to purely distance, you could also look out for hillier events of around marathon distance, whether road (like the lap the gap marathon) or trails (loads of races of around marathon distance. Again, IMRA organise a few).

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Butterbeans

Easy run would be better term I think.

If you're running a few times a week, you certainly should be running some of them easy.

Run at a pace that feels easy for you. If you're going by your Zones it'd be Zone 1, maybe some of it in Zone 2 but easy is the key word.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭FinnC

No point running by HR if you don’t have your zones set correctly or know your max HR,oh and no 220 minus your age is not how you get your Max HR.

Just run to a pace where you can still hold a conversation easily and that’s probably around the correct pace for a slow run.

An easy run is a run at an effort where you can have a conversation, talking full sentences without gasping for air. If you feel you cannot talk freely, it's not an easy run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

Is there any way to contact Cork Athletics County board and get a response?

I've sent multiple emails, a Facebook message and a letter regarding a simple query about a transfer and have received no response.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Sorbet

Hi - looking for advice please. Ran 2019 DCM using the Boards plan but have fallen out of the habit of running and haven’t run consistently this year. Have a ‘22 DCM entry so getting geared up to get back into it. Very confident I can commit to the marathon training block as have done it before and not looking for a fast time or anything. My question now really is what should I be doing between now and June training block to get back into it so I’m prepped to go? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

You could follow a plan for a Half marathon or 10k to get a bit of consistency going before launching into the marathon training. If you did a 12-14 week plan, race around late March/April followed by a bit of recovery then you'd nearly be ready to start marathon training for DCM, or maybe a few weeks of a base plan to bridge the gap. There are plenty of plans on the internet, pick one that isn't too demanding as it sounds like it's more about something to motivate you to get going again. Signing up for a race will help with motivation too, it's a long time until June and even longer until next October so I don't expect DCM is going to motivate you just yet. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Not running related but Boards related, can you delete posts anymore with the new layout?

I don't think so although you could edit your post for up to 24 hours and just leave a single character such as a "."

Not quite the same as deleting but I suppose it will have to do for now.

Mods can (one of the few things I managed to work out how in the new layout). If you really want to delete a post, ask a mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

I wonder why they removed the ability for users to delete their own posts? Seems odd that features have been removed!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Seems mad to me that in this day and age you can't simply delete a post on a public forum. Not TFB's fault obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Obviously!! definitely didn't mean to infer it was, hence 'they' 😊. Sounds like the mods are trying to figure things out along with the rest of us, which is also a bit mad!

Definintely didnt mean you were implying that - was more making sure my criticism wasnt directed at TBF.

• Advertisement

No worries, I did not even consider that this could be regarded as a dig.

The new layout is a complete disaster. The single worst upgrade I've witnessed in 25 years of working in IT.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

The new forum is horrendous and unfortunately will more than likely be the death of the place!

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

So you guys are saying that TFB and the mods are preventing us from deleting our posts? That's terrible form.

You’re probably joking but just in case, no, that’s not what anyone said.

By the way you can delete all the text in a post, just not the post itself.

Only within 24hrs though right? After that it's necessary to contact a mod.

Yes, 24 hours should be enough to correct any drunkposting. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Sorbet

Thanks a million Ariana - signed up for an end of March half and have a plan to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Great, best of luck with that. It will really help come time to train for DCM having a good base and a good habit of running regularly again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I've recently ran a 10k for the first time, slow pace just above 1 hour, could get it below an hour probably. Started thinking that maybe I could attempt a half marathon before the summer, am I mad, has anyone done this and is it a huge step up?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

I went from my first 10k in 55 minutes to sub-2 hour HM from July - September 2014. Regularly running more and slowly increasing your distances will get you there. Usual new runner advice applies - most of your runs should feel very easy, try and find a local group to run with, keep a close eye on niggles and potential injuries.

Advertisement