Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I hadn't seen your previous post, only in somebody else's quote.

This will be the last time I will reply to you though, as you are not going to waste my time when you have literally nothing to bring to the table. You don't seem to have a grasp of what MUP is, and only seem to be happy to try and berate posters with nonsense or ask them for links or proof. Which is fine if you could discuss things and come up with some counter arguments. You clam to have been on this thread years yet are incapable of remembering any of the information that has already been brought up and linked to a lot of time.

I have no interest in discussing anything with you any further after this and will definitely not be partaking in a back and forth.

Anyway.

The actual statistics are available for everyone to read, and are closer to 1000. And they are alcohol related deaths, Here are some of them, rather than every single stat. If they had jumped to the figure Frank Feighan was mentioning there would have been a lot more noise made about it. It would have been national headlines for one. He was throwing numbers around as scare tactics.

In before you or anyone tries to say "attributable to"

Frank Feighans statistic is Bullcrap.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,823 ✭✭✭✭listermint

So?

What does it have to do in Ireland though. And don't say its on the HSE website. The link you provided previously is obviously and evidently from the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭HBC08

Frank Feighan....How could somebody the calibre of a guy like this have any influence on our day to day lives?

He's the kind of fella who if he told you he was running the tea stand at a Junior GAA match you'd send a few of the u14 girls over to make sure he didn't burn himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,823 ✭✭✭✭listermint

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Again based on the sheffield model which is ENTIRELY speculative, they literally conducted interviews of academics and what they will think would happen and based their findings off those.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Arbitrary

adjective

1. based on random choice or personal whim, rather than any reason or system.
    2. "an arbitrary decision"

I think the above sums it up really well. Off licenses an hour from the border will hardly be viable. Even if they lose 20 percent of business only. It wont help with health or deaths either. The down and out alco will turn to moon shine or drugs. But hey drug deaths will make it look like alcohol deaths have come down.

This shower of nutters will go after the vaping next. Its a decision by anti alcohol pioneers. A nasty do gooder bunch who dont give a fcuk about our health or well being. They just hate to think others are having enjoyment and they have nothing in their miserable lives. I wonder how easy it would be to import a container of beer and not get caught. Haha. Plenty of drugs make it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Single market my fûcking hole. The Irish raped yet again. Looks like every other country is a better option than this shîthole.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,811 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

It was working before. Click on Reports for Other Jurisdictions.

https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/scharr/research/themes/alpol/alcohol-group-publications

If it is for the link I tried, that is a super fast summary of 104 pages.

• Advertisement

What is the criteria for deaths related to alcohol? Are we talking about people who have literally drank themselves into oblivion or what? Is it for people who have died with a couple of pints onboard after having a heart attack?

They are subjective if you ask and dont stack up. Very easy for the anti alcohol crowd to manipulate.

The title page says its an adaptation of the sheffield model which anyone like myself whose been involved in this discussion since it started several years ago is acutely aware of how flawed it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

2.5 years old but still relevant. It’s complete bullshit that Scots aren’t crossing the border for drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭macraignil

I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.

Thank you for the link. e-mail in relation to MUP sent to the TD I voted for.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,606 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Yes they are Carlisle and Berwick on Tweed have seen a big boost in trade.

Still it does give conclusions on what has been the topic of much debate here today, shopping for drink in the North. I would agree with what they say.

6.8 COST IMPACTS ON SOCIETY A 90c MUP is estimated to lead to a cumulative saving to society of €1.2bn over 20 years from reductions in direct health costs (€178m), crime costs (€72m), reduced workplace absence (€160m) and gains in societal health (€775m). It should be noted that these figures do not include the potential productivity gain to society of those people who live longer or in better health as a result of the policy.

6.9 POTENTIAL IMPACT OF MUP AND PRICE-BASED PROMOTIONS BAN ON CROSS-BORDER SHOPPING Owing to the shared land border and differential tax regimes between the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland, shopping trips across the border to Northern Ireland do occur. In 2010 the Irish Quarterly National Household Survey (QNHS) included a series of questions on cross border shopping in Northern Ireland by Irish residents [35]. The results of this survey show that in 2010 an 100 estimated 14% of households in Ireland made at least one shopping trip across the border, spending an average of €274 per trip [35]. Of this total €33 (12%) was spent on alcohol on average, with the majority (66%) being spent on groceries (€105) or clothing and other durables (€77). Households in the Border region were more than twice as likely to have shopped across the border as those from any other region (43% compared to 19% or less) and accounted for over half the total expenditure on cross-border shopping (€240million out of €418million). Around three quarters (25.6%) of spending cross-border was on dedicated shopping trips rather than expenditure on non-shopping trips. In addition to the QNHS figures, respondents to the NADS were asked whether the alcohol they had purchased in the last week was purchased in the country or abroad (including Northern Ireland). An exploratory analysis of this data suggests that survey respondents paid an average of 31% less per standard drink for alcohol purchased abroad. Taken together, these surveys suggest that Irish residents may be purchasing cheaper alcohol in Northern Ireland. However; the fact that alcohol represents a relatively small percentage of the total spend on cross-border shopping trips suggests that it may not be the principal motivation for most of these trips. Whilst it is therefore likely that MUP policies or promotions bans which increase the price of some alcohol may lead to some increase in cross-border purchasing in Northern Ireland, reducing the estimated impact of the policies, it is probable that such changes in purchasing habits will be small, especially for the large majority of the population (90%) who live outside the Border region.

From memory Berwick is so close to the border that the local team competes in the Scottish leagues. Carlisle is not far away from Scotland either.

But I wonder how many would make a trip from Inverness or Aberdeen?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭HBC08

About 50% of the population (Dublin,border counties,Roscommon,Longford,Meath,Westmeath,probably more) are within an hour of Northern Ireland.

I'm only a few minutes away myself. I could save €100 every week if I bought enough drink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

I've heard of one guy who goes from Wales to England for one can of cheap cider from aldi to roast his pork joint in. So it looks like mup has failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,606 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The entirely predictable answer is not many.

It's about 190 miles from Aberdeen to Berwick. Did you ever drive that road? I did and I wouldn't do it if the beer was free.

Even further to Inverness.

Fact remains that cross border trade increased since MUP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

It take me 50min to drive from Dublin15 to Dublin 1on a work day. So a spin to the north is a given

Edinburgh is an hour away. But sure we'll just ignore that. I'm in north kildare. I'll justify heading up on a saturday morning four times a year if im saving 1400 or 1500 euro a year. I'll be home by lunch time.

With such a large population of the country so close to the border this will fail and business will close.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,102 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I absolutely understand what MUP is, but what I don't do is row in with this groupthink that a. It has zero health benefits and b. That it's a sop to the pubs.

In the long term increased pricing means that less young people will be able to aquire alcohol thus they have less chance of developing alcohol related problems.

Include in that reduced visibility and promotion and young people grown up with less exposure to alcohol around them.

It has worked for smoking, 30 years ago close on 50% of young people smoked (someone posted that in a link a few days ago), it now in the mid teens, that's a phenomenal turnaround.

The same can be done with drink.

And there is zero downside to people consuming less alcohol.

On the it's a sop to the pubs point. If anyone needs proof that any Irish government is not in the pocket of the vintners, regardless of what decade old election promises say, just look at the last 18 months.

No other western modern country has treated their pub and entertainment industry like the Irish have treated theirs.

MUP is not ideal, but it's one tool in tackling our drink problem and I for one am willing to give it a go, because we need to tackle our alcohol problem.

As for your stats, why don't you post the link to the place you got the images, so that we can read it all for ourselves.

How much would that make your expenditure in a year?

Nonsense. Everyone getting punished isnt a solution. Its a punishment and nothing else. All that will happen is youngsters will go toward drugs.

Riddle me this. If your so interested in tackling problems for the social good then why no tackle the coke epidemic or the heroin addicts in dublin city?

I'll tell you why. Because its about ruining the enjoyment of ordinary working people like yourself. Its spiteful stuff is all. A real nasty move.

Drink problem in ireland my arse. I suppose if we are told it enough times we will start to believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,306 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Why have the vintners been pushing it for 10 plus years? There was a link posted here previously. They are concerned about the health of the nation? Come on now. They want the cost difference to be minimal between drinking at home and going to a pub.

Less young people might drink (I think young people are drinking less in general, I know a recent study showed more students than ever are teetotalers) but what will those who would have and now can't afford it do for a buzz on a night out...brilliant more unregulated dodgy drugs...that is better how?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,355 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

AAI is a joke - quarter of a million a year, majority of which comes from the government i.e. you and me

Two people on wages of of ~60k a year (2019 financial report)

And all I can find about their work is some media press releases, lobbying parties and sitting on the planning groups of other related services (i.e. womens/mens/childrens health groups etc)

We are paying these guys a very nice wage to tell us we're all drunks and we need to brought in line

(the woman in charge is also on a suicide lobbying group but didn't delve in to that as the website is basically links to other suicide support groups, probably a nice little earner for her as well)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Seeing a lot of outrage about this since it happened, online, TV and radio. Would have been much more useful if this was all expressed before it was written into law.

In a country where you have lads on the streets cos they feel aggrieved about wearing masks or getting an optional vaccine jab this never even got a cross look. Seems fairly pointless getting irate about it now.

Advertisement