Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,811 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

You are still using the drug figures, even though that report did not examine MUP. There is plenty of relevant research, so no excuse for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Oh indeed, the idiotic doors that are in place now are a part of this bill too, originally they were meant to be curtains or some sealed off section to hide the alcohol from children. Its like the people designing this stuff dont remember what it was like to be a child, hiding and making a secret of alcohol will only make them want it more. Thankfully this idea was scaled back to the stupidity we have now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭Gusser09

In my opiniin Brewdog isnt nice. I prefer a can of heineken or bottle of corona. Its down to personal tatse. I cant stand most of the craft beers.

And many on here continue claiming we drink too much and things are getting worse along with claims booze is too cheap but we are drinking 2/3s of what we were 20 years ago and example after example have shown we have some of if not the most expensive alcohol in Europe.

Conclusions

Within the emergency departments, there was no evidence of a beneficial impact of minimum unit pricing. Implementation appeared to have been successful and there was no evidence of substitution from alcohol consumption to other drugs. Drinkers and stakeholders largely reported not noticing any change in price or consumption. The lack of effect observed in these settings in the short term, and the problem-free implementation, suggests that the price per unit set (£0.50) was acceptable, but may be too low. Our evaluation, which itself contains multiple components, is part of a wider programme co-ordinated by Public Health Scotland and the results should be understood in this wider context.

The above is from one of the links I googled. No surprise to me that the whole thing is a damp squib, and the world did not end for Scottish drinkers. Note the part about no evidence of alcohol users switching to other drugs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

To be fair the time does come. It's called old age!! When you are young that's what you do (or used to!!).

I binge drank like the rest of my friends but then I hit a certain age where I couldn't sustain it (hangovers became brutal!!). That was the halt for me and I'm sure for most others!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,102 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

It was based on a quote from the poster who suggested that €1k per person would be the kind of money to bring in a group of three and a van when making a trip from anywhere to NI.

When I suggested that €1k was a large sum their reply was as follows, thus implying that it was a point where it made economic sense.

Was I taking the poster out of context, to a certain extent yes, but equally if someone is thinking of going up the north to buy a grands worth of booze outside of a wedding or other occasion you do have to wonder about them.

It was more just an example of how it can be done 'semi-professionally' to basically nullify the petrol costs if 3 people from different households all do this splitting the travel costs and using a large enough van. Posters were saying it doesn't make financial sense to travel up because of the costs and they are correct for small amounts.

My posts here are no more dishonest than the ones claiming that MUP is responsible for increased drug deaths in Scotland or that the figure supplied by Frank Feeghan around alcohol deaths in Ireland are "bullcrap".

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

I agree because we have drinking problems in Ireland.

I feel I know the answer to this already but are there any concrete targets for what constitutes success with the policy, eg a decrease of x% across a range of criteria?

Im open minded on seeing how it goes but one of the main issues for me is that I imagine we'll be stuck with it whether it turns out to be a fiasco or not, and any failure being used as an excuse to say the minimum price wasn't set high enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

What's the fûcking point in being part of the EU if our gov can double the price of anything they want overnight with zero consultation? I mean we seem to be hit with every levy and tax the government can come up with. Prices of everything are out of control. The gap between the rich and the poor is manufactured by the likes of this and other government policies. You'd need to earn 100k a year in this country just to live comfortably and not have shite like this affect you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I don't think so. There have been plenty of issues pointed out with this 'law', and I am pretty sure among them was a lack of goal or aim.

It seems to be entirely based on getting to the people with less money that drink, and finding whatever percentage of them have a drink problem. Pricing those people out of the ability to buy alcohol, and eventually that will fix most of Irelands drinking problems.

I'm still gasping at Frank Feighans 2,700 deaths per year statistic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,570 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It will only be rolled back if its stopped by EU courts.

Or too much revenue loss. Alcohol consumption is dropping and on a general downward trend already. If any other 'targets' arent met their cry will be that it was too low.

You might see a reduction / harmonisation with the Norths level should they bring it in - if there is revenue leakage. Money talks.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

See here's the issue we already have been reducing consumption year over for the last 20 years and are at 2/3s of what we were at. My guess along with many others is that when this decrease continues as it was very probably going to anyway the likes of AAI and the other anti alcohol on here will claim it was due to MUP instead of the simple decades long culture shift that's been occurring and then we will be stuck with it.

The fact that consumption has been dropping is actually part of why the publicans pushed for this, they saw the market shrinking and were finding it harder and harder to keep people coming to pubs. They literally complained to government that it's not fair that 30 years ago they were selling something like 70% of booze and that's now shrunk to around 40% and that this wasn't fair. Now remember there's a fair amount of publicans TDs and all this starts to make a lot more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,609 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You don't need anyone to prove that Frankie Feighan has been talking nonsense about MUP.

As late as yesterday this was his statement in a local paper -

"We are taking this action to ensure that cheap strong alcohol is not available to children and young people at pocket money prices and to help those who drink to harmful levels to reduce their intake"

Just walk into any supermarket and look at the shelves full of ordinary drinks at prices inflated by MUP.

The proof is there that Irish home drinkers have been conned by their politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Here is a list of the TD's

One thing we can do is make some noise and vent our anger at them.

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/members/tds/?tab=party&party=

I had to resort to google again. From the first link I found. If it turns out the way they expect it will be a good result.

Why is minimum unit pricing being introduced?

Alcohol is a major cause of illness and disease, hospitalisations, self-harm, and violence in Ireland. It’s better for everyone if, as a country, we cut back.

In 2019, on average, every person in Ireland aged 15 and over drank 10.8 litres of pure alcohol a year – the equivalent of either 40 bottles of vodka, 113 bottles of wine or 436 pints of beer.

Research by the Sheffield Alcohol Research Group found that when minimum unit pricing on alcohol is introduced in Ireland, alcohol consumption is expected to reduce by almost 9% overall. 

The heaviest drinkers are expected to reduce their alcohol consumption by 15%, while people who already drink within the low-risk alcohol guidelines are expected to drink 3% less.

The heaviest drinkers buy the cheapest alcohol. Minimum unit pricing on alcohol targets these drinkers, reducing its affordability so that less alcohol is purchased. This will reduce the harm that alcohol causes them and others.

This should result in around 200 fewer alcohol-related deaths and 6,000 fewer hospital admissions per year.

I'm still gasping at Frank Feighans 2,700 deaths per year statistic.

But you can't prove it's "bullcrap" like you claimed it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

That is one on of my main issues with this, and have been saying it for a while now. It is utterly ridiculous and frustrating that these morons are getting away with introducing this illegal (according to EU law) method of market trading.

I don't think they can. That has been brought up before, I can't find the link, but I remember somebody somewhere reassuring me that they couldn't lay claim to reductiions that weren't directly as a result of MUP. Not that it will stop them from trying.

12 x 330ml cans of brewdog punk ipa in the north for 14 pounds which is about 16.80 euros. 170 euro would buy you 120 cans which would last a while. Round it off to the 200 euro for 144 cans.

They would cost 288 in ireland at the current SPECIAL price. When NOT on special it would be 360. I cant see 12 packs here either in tesco. Just four. If you were to do that 3 or 4 times a year thats a decent saving. Bring kids and misses for the spin. Happy days.

Thats 160 euros of a saving. Mind boggling really. Crazy stuff.

Some will argue with that but heyho. It doesnt take a rocket surgeon to work out how mich you would save from 4 trips a year even deducting diesel and tolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,823 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You didnt bother linking the link but went to the bother of fully copying a section of it.

That's a bit odd isn't it.

• Advertisement

You know as well as I do that those figures include murders, accidents, road deaths, suicides and anyone whose post mortem showed elevated levels of alcohol.

Meanwhile people who drink sensibly at home are being robbed blind by MUP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭HBC08

I'll be honest,I havent read or referenced the links to Scotland at any time in this thread.The reason being without having a good read of them I wouldn't have a good understanding......also I don't give a fùck what happens in Scotland.

Here's what I do know.

Ireland like most places with a strong drinking culture has a problem with alcohol,I've seen it in other countries I've lived in,it's not unusual.Should we try to do something about it? Yes absolutely, use some of the current tax payers money that's being wasted (pardon the pun) on partly funding groups like AAI and use it for education and treatment.Alternatively you could even raise taxes a bit on alcohol (in pubs too) and ring fence that for alcohol related problems. I think a lot of people who's lives or family members live were affected by alcohol could get behind that.

This measure is a fudge on all fronts,it literally benefits nobody except the supermarkets (who didn't even ask for this and probably can't believe their luck!) the supermarkets of Northern Ireland and perhaps a few entrepreneurial bootleggers or lads that'll organise vans.

The real cost of this to the average punter is shocking,I feel I've laboured the point a bit in relation to myself but it's €520 a year for me.......for 5 bottles of beer a week.....to drink in my own house.

It's absolutely frightening how a lobby group made up of some people who don't come across as too smart have managed to ram this through.I think it was just another lobby group that somehow built up some momentum (nobody will argue we need to do something on our alcohol use) and by the time people had figured it out nobody had the balls to shout stop....and here we are.

I don't need to analyse any Scottish links to see any of the above.

Post edited by HBC08 on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,524 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Assuming you're in Dublin, that 160 is going to get eaten up by fuel (c.€30) and tolls (€10 for M50+M1 roundtrip) x 4 trips

No malicious intent, it's just very detailed, and I though the Conclusion abstract served my purpose. If you find anything interesting let us know.

https://www.journalslibrary.nihr.ac.uk/phr/phr09110#/abstract#%2F

LOL quoting from the sheffield model that is 13 years old, was based on studies from the late 90s and early 2000s and relied entirely on speculative guessing of how people would behave and has zero evidentiary facts to back it up.

Correct no matter what happened or did not happen in Scotland MUP is here now in all it's glory and it's going to cost even moderate drinkers hundreds of euros a year from their after tax income.

Thats 160 x 4.

So 640 euro saved.

So

Tolls = 40 euro ( 4 trips)

Fuel = 120 euro (4 trips)

That leaves you with a saving of 480 euro.

Hard to argue with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,355 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.

I wouldn't mind the MUP so much if it was at the levels that Scotland introduced but a quick glance at Carlsberg €2.40 litre vs 3.75 here - 50% more expensive (they even have specials if you have a clubcard). There's even some lagers cheaper than the likes of Lidl's own brand (pre MUP)

That's quite some punch in the face for the ordinary guy here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Agree and it sends a big F You to the government and that prick from AAI

Advertisement