Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Options when there is no money for funeral

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

If a family is in financial difficulties I think the local council might have grants available. I expect undertakers might have information in these circumstances.

Do you have a credit union account?

Most credit unions will contribute to a member's funeral costs. My local credit union pays €3250 towards funeral costs for full members, which is enough to cover a cremation.

To be a full member you must have €200 saved in Shares (may vary in other credit unions).

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I have seen that in graveyards. I also know of someone who has very specific instructions written down in relation to their funeral, and the family members are aware of where the instructions are kept. So that might be something you could do, OP.

Also, as regards ashes, they can be interred either in a family plot, if there is one, or you can organise a burial plot, if not.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Pistachio19

You seem to be overly concerned about what your sister thinks and will want. You need to decide for yourself what happens, be that your body goes to research or you have a funeral that you can save towards now. If you decide on a funeral, start a savings account, write/type up your wishes, and tell your sister where the information is filed, so its easily accessible to her if/when you die before her. If you decide to donate your body then do the paperwork and tell your sister after its all sorted.

My brother enquired about donating his body, and was told they had so many, that they couldn't give any guarantee his would be taken when the time came!

Have a back up plan!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

My father has his plot in the graveyard ready, no headstone but has the surround and stone on it etc. Sometimes he'd be out tending to his own father's grave and he'd say, "right, time to go and clean my own grave" and he'd head across to his own, pull weeds and pick up leaves, give the surround a wash etc. It's kind of amusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭rainagain

Could you set up a small monthly payment into a bank account, and then in your will specify the money is for her? I know it doesn't answer your original question, but could be a way of having something just for her if the will is read after the funeral/service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭monseiur

You may be over thinking the whole thing. There is a 50/50 chance you may outlive your sister so take this fact into consideration when making your will, funeral arrangments etc. Start saving a little every week and have this specific account set up so that your next of kin have easy access to the funds when the time comes. The Dept. of Social Welfare will pay a least €2,000.00 grant towards your funeral expenses if your next of kin are not in a financial position to pay - that's a great help so if you have say €4,000.00 saved you have nothing to worry about. To save some euros you can leave some specific instructions like no hired in musicians at mass, use CD's instead, no 'afters' at the local hotel / pub, no expensive headstone, go for the cheapest MDF coffin, etc.

Have a chat with your local Co. Council about the cost of a single plot in your local graveyard - in case you decide at the last minute to provide the earth worms with some nourishment ! You may be able to book a specific plot by paying a deposit and the remainder later. Once you have all arrangements made to the best of your ability, put it to the back of your mind and enjoy life and make the most of it - and remember as we're only here for a short time it should be for a good time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭thefallingman

It's a good question op and one i have asked myself, paying 5 or 6 grand frankly is a rip off for bleeding a body and putting it in the ground, no wonder funeral directors all live in big houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

There is zero chance of it

I appreciate you taking the time to post and the information you have gave is good but you picked a bizarre way to start the post,

I read the first couple of lines and thought you were just trying to be horrible and I nearly posted something in response

I’m very glad to be able to say I was wrong though.

• Advertisement

I’m not overly concerned

im the right amount of concerned

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

I agree 100%, they have families over a barrel. Not me, I'm still young and healthy so its a ways off hopefully. I'm not religious so no church for me, I will buy a plot in Wexford for 950 and a biodegradable coffin for a few hundred. With the opening fees (450)I think I could do it all in for und 2k. My family live in Dublin so they won't get to visit as often which I like, I'd want people to get on with their lives. A trip to Wexford a couple of times a year will be good for them.They bury you 4ft down so the organisms and flora process is easier, I like the idea of my remains feeding a tree or plants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Glaceon

This is how it is done in the US too (at least the part I know). Walking around the graveyard you’ll see plenty of names but no death date until they’re buried.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,250 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

That's bizarre. Could the money not be just assigned to a family member or something. Definitely on the extreme side.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MakersMark

Funeral costs will come from your estate first, before other beneficiaries are paid.

If your estate is 8k, and the funeral costs 6k, your sister will get the remaining.

Maybe just give her the cash before you pass on.

I remember a joke from a Dane Cook show where he has an argument with an atheist who believes we go back to feed the earth and we become trees - so Dane Cook says he will cut down the tree, turn it into paper and print the Bible on it. :)

I agree totally with how you feel about the visiting a grave. That place is Wexford looks nice. And a day out there would probably have people feel veered than a visit to a regular graveyard.

• Administrators Posts: 13,746 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Any money that I have when I die I would want to go to her and her kids - not on burying me.

Well someone will have to pay for it and if you don't, she will.

You should visit an undertaker and ask about grants. Also ask about different types of funerals, burials etc. I don't know a whole lot about it but my brother-in-law died last year. He was unemployed, separated and living in a hostel. His wife was able to apply for a grant that covered the entire cost of funeral, cremation, and memorial plaque.

If you don't want your sister bearing the cost when the time comes then you need to get all your arrangements in place now. Start saving, putting a sum aside. As mentioned, the credit union have a scheme go speak to a credit untion too.

It is noble that you don't want your sister to be out of pocket. But the cost will need to be covered. So you have to plan for that and accept that you can't leave everything to your sister, but you can leave everything after you've cleared your own debts and expenses.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

There are some links in this earlier thread that might be useful to you, OP, and maybe to others on your thread.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058156487/not-using-a-funeral-director#latest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭sully123

Just a note on the donating to science option. I heard of someone who did this. His body was eventually returned to his family for interment by them. Im not sure how long after or if this is always the case. But it might be something to consider. You may not want your sister to have to deal with that.

Family friends of ours did it. Their daughter's body was returned to them after a few months and they had her funeral then.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

I'd be pretty sure that most undertakers offer something similar,

https://www.fanagans.ie/home/planning-a-funeral-in-advance

Okay, someone posted a few days ago that universities are saying they have too many donations at present

Sorry, my reply was in the context of the body being returned to the family to be interred anyway. Even if the OP can donate her body, it will still be returned to her sister eventually.

Sorry you are correct. I am the OP and I had indeed asked about the body being returned

thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

When my aunt passed away last July, she had an An Post insurance scheme which payed out roughly 3.5k and she had enough funds in her Credit Union account, so that the Credit Union helped out with the cost of the funeral, roughly 2k I think. The whole funeral came to roughly 5k. So she had it covered that way - the family didn't have to pay.

I think you may need over a certain amount in your credit union account for them to help with the burial, but it's small enough, a couple of hundred if I remember correctly.

The An Post insurance was for her funeral, she was paying small money in for years weekly.

I think you may need over a certain amount in your credit union account for them to help with the burial, but it's small enough, a couple of hundred if I remember correctly.

The credit union offer a type of death benefit insurance. You have to pay an annual fee, which in most cases is automatically deducted from your account annually. You obviously need to have enough money in your account to cover it.

Different Credit Unions' terms and conditions may vary, but as far as I know (in my credit union) the death benefit needs to be in place for 2 years to qualify for a payout.

Advertisement