Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Djokovic

• 06-01-2022 2:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭

Anyone know what is his medical exception?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I dunno, ask his djoktor

• Registered Users Posts: 80,988 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

He has a pain in his hole.

He was turfed out i see, no more than could be expected under the circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭standardg60

The clue is in the name, no vak

• Registered Users Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭standardg60

Doc a witch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,984 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

This isn't public knowledge, since medical information is private. Officially Djokovic was granted a vaccination exemption by the Victorian State government to participate in the Australian Open on medical grounds, but we don't know the precise medical grounds.

We do know all the possible medical grounds - there's a published list of permitted medical grounds for a vaccination exemption, and Djokovic must have claimed one of them.

According to Twitter - and who could doubt information sourced on Twitter? 🙄 - the ground he actually relied on was that he had had PCR-confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection within the past 6 months, and therefore enjoyed natural immunity and didn't need to be vaccinated before the six months expires.

But, when he turned up at the airport and applied for entry to Australia, the Federal government - applying the same medical exemption criteria - asked for evidence that he had had Covid within the past 6 months, and he was unable to produce any. So, off to quarantine and an early flight home.

If this is true, the implication is that the Victorian authorities accepted a statement that he had had Covid within the past 6 months but didn't look for evidence to prove that. Or, that he had evidence which he gave to the Victorian government, but for some reason was unable to produce it to the Federal authorities at the airport (which seems unlikely).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,648 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

He's a dick head. Luckily it's only mildly contagious.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

he doesn't have one and his visa has been rightly rejected

Novak Djokovic's wife shared a post which appeared to suggest 5G is to blame for the coronavirus, just a day after he said he's an anti-vaxxer

https://www.insider.com/novak-djokovic-wife-jelena-appears-to-suggest-5g-causes-coronavirus-2020-4

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Freddie Mcinerney

Mo Farah and most of Nordic skiers information is known.

• Advertisement

Did he have a TUE from before?

Well, if we accept what we read on Twitter, one possible explanation of the course of events is that Djokovic (or someone on his behalf) lied in his application to the Victorian government for a vaccination exemption. But of course what we read on Twitter might be wrong, perish the thought.

I would say lie. If he wasn't on a TUE before, he was chancing his arm.

I don't understand. TUE ("therapeutic use exemption") is an authorisation to take a performance-enhancing substance which would otherwise be prohibited, because you have a medical need for it. The issue here is that Djokovic wants to not take a substance which is not performance-enhancing and is not prohibited; I don't see that a TUE comes into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,912 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

ASES

Arrogant, Self Entitled Syndrome.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

Australia is an independent sovereign nation and sets the rules for entry ... he doesn't meet the requirements and the Aussie government don't seem to bow to pressure based on celebrity and from what I can tell most Aussies support this action

I got into a back and forth on the covid forums for daring to question what's really going on here.

I've absolutely not a jot of interest in his Vacination stance or status, this is all about a wink and a nod exemption with a quite bizzare sudden medical exemption used to justify this outrageous decision to permit him compete.

I'm just astonished the organisers who facilitated these Shenanigans were completely unaware how residents of Melbourne would react given what they've had to endure with lockdowns, restrictions for almost two years. This of course not the players fault but my god its astonishingly naive of his advisors not to have understood how this was going to panout.

Bad enough the Shenanigans but then to apply for a visa that doesn't permit medical exemptions is breathtakingly stupid.

Of course the conspiracy theorists will say its all about vacinnes, his stance Blaa Blaa Blaa, I see it for what it is, Different Strokes, For Different Folks and delighted it's back fired spectacularly.

• Advertisement

Yes. The Victorian government's decision to give him a vaccination exemption, so allowing him to participate in the Australian Open, got a very negative response from the public, and the Federal government's decision to deny him a vaccination exemption and so cancel his visa has attracted mostly celebratory comment.

It's still a bit embarrassing, though. Both the Victorian government and the federal government are applying the same published medical criteria to what is supposed to be a medical decision (is Djokovic exempt on medical grounds from the requirement to be vaccinated), and they are doing so based presumably on the same facts and the same evidence. But they have made diametrically opposed decisions. This causes confusion, not just for Djokovic but for anyone contemplating travel to Australia. Regardless of whether someone in Djokovic's medical situation should or should not be vaccine-exempt, the answer should at least be clear and you should be able to find out what it is before you start your journey. You shouldn't have to go all the way to Melbourne Airport to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,020 ✭✭✭Be right back

Apparently his deportation has been delayed due to legal appeals. Wouldn't be surprised if he is allowed to play after all.

They absolutely do and he's not the first celeb to fall foul of well known Australian approach to arrogance 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Not sure if arrogance is a medical exemption.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭BingCrosbee

I entered Melbourne on 20/12 and had to get a covid test in Ireland and Oz. I had to get another today for flying back tomorrow. He’s an arrogant ass…. In my opinion. Serbia is a typical eastern dictatorship and his behaviour would be typical of Soviet type states.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭paul71

• Registered Users Posts: 16,373 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Novax Djokovic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,182 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have heard a theory that one reason he doesn't want the vaccine is that he's at the tail end of his career and can't afford to lose a single percentage point of performance. if he had a bad reaction to the vaccine, it could cost him a tournament or more; most of the likes of us debating on message boards can take a couple of days of or continue working if we have a bad reaction, but it's his actual career to be able to perform better than 99.99999% of the population and he may be taking the 'i'll get it when i'm retired' approach.

• Advertisement

Ah Balkans in general are very anti vaccine. I have friends over there in different countries and they haven't a notion of getting the vaccine.

When I lived there, there was an outbreak of measles, and 15 children died. Imagine, from measles🙄

Someone told me, I don't know how much truth there is in it, that in communist times the governments would trial vaccines on people without their permission and that their distrust has continued on. I dunno, could be stories. Anyway, in this day and age you would think they would give their kids vaccines so they don't die from those diseases.

Advertisement