Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will we qualify for illness benefit if we can't get a PCR?

Options
  • 06-01-2022 2:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

Despite being sick with covid I've waited up every night all week til 12 midnight and been unable to book one, everything has been gone by 12:01 in my nearest test centre. For the last 4 nights.

With demand the way it is, it's possible I wouldn't even get a test before the virus is gone. I don't get sick pay at work so I need the PCR to qualify for illness benefit.

I'm sure thousands are in the same boat, how are we going to apply for the covid illness payment under these circumstances?

Post edited by The DayDream on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭standardg60

If you don't work for one of the unions, you're in the wrong job

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭The DayDream

That's not exactly helpful. I'm not asking for career advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Are you under 40 by any chance?

"On a temporary basis during this period of exceptional demand on the health service, with effect from 3 January 2022, the Department of Social Protection will accept and process applications from people under 40 years, in employment or self-employment who are symptomatic, self-isolating and have applied for an antigen test kit from the HSE, in circumstances where they cannot access a GP certification, a PCR test or close contact notification from the HSE.

Applicants will need to provide a copy of the message from the HSE confirming application for the test kit and must self-isolate/restrict movements as required by public health advice.

To be eligible for this payment a person must be confined to their home or a medical facility."

Damn you and your common sense!

You're stopping the OP having a good ole nonsensical rant about the gubberment

Ehh I'm not trying to antagonise the OP at all. I was in a similar situation just after xmas day. I only got a PCR because a friend in the centre got me in on short notice. There is nothing worse that staying up late with a fever, cough and a splitting headache trying to refresh a page that is not built for the demand as you're now out of work for 2 weeks. It still isn't ok that over 40s that can't get a PCR can't be approved. It will just lead to people ignoring the regulations and going into work sick and spreading it.

Also OP don't expect approval to come through anytime soon on the payment. I'm guessing there is a huge backlog over the xmas break where welfare had a skeleton/zero staff on.

• Advertisement

Actually I have a little common sense and thus I'm already aware of what has been linked. I'm over 40 so they won't even send you an antigen test. I can use the old interwebs just fine so I can, if I could find the answer to this by a quick google I wouldn't be asking here.

Yes, I'm sure I'm the only one wondering what to do and frustrated that the system isn't built for purpose.

Yes this is exactly what it will lead to. Honestly if you don't get sick pay and are asymptomatic enough that you can go into work, you can choose to either go in and spread it and be able to pay your bills or sit home, self isolate and stay up all night to try and get a PCR, find all appointments gone by 12.01 and hope that another solution will be found for you before the rent falls due.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I hope you get sorted. Have you tried reaching out to a GP? I'm sure they're overwhelmed too but when I was trying to get a PCR I did hear of them helping patients get a PCR. Or maybe a phone consultation could get you a cert if you have symptoms, which you can also use.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Yes my GP is literally so swamped they have all but turned the phones off. Even before the surge over the holiday period they were only open for 2 hrs in the morning and 2 in the afternoon. But I'll have to keep trying them today. Some craic being sick and trying to spend all day and all night finding a test.

• Advertisement

Of course they can get a cert like any other illness, or the OP could wait and see if their employer will pay them anyway like they did the last time they were out as stated in another thread instead of making stuff up about being starving and homeless.

Ah, one thing I did miss is that the qualifying criteria says 'any' of the following, I thought it was 'all' of the following meaning you definitely needed a PCR test.

Hopefully the GP cert is enough... And hopefully it's possible to get an appointment there. But I know even before this latest surge the wait times were a week long.

One thing that being sick with this the last few days has made clear to me is that I need to retrain for a job that you can do from home. Screw this noise of being considered 'essential'so you have to go into work and expose yourself to a virus but not having sick pay. Like I said my boss is really sound but the company policy isn't. It's like a policy that was created to stop 21 year olds calling out of work with hangovers, not a policy for a pandemic especially since many of pur clients are elderly, their current policy could put many people at risk. And I most likely caught the virus at work, I haven't been out socializing at all.

What actually happened was they said they wouldn't dock me until I got the illness benefit through. Which it turns out I didnt have enough stamps paid for that year to get the full benefit.

I don't know if when you actually have covid if you need stamps paid in to qualify but hopefully now that it's the next year I would have enough if that's the case.

But honestly I'd appreciate if you just go away and be unhelpful and antagonistic in another thread, maybe you can find one that hasn't been started by a sick person who's worried about being broke because they got sick while working through lockdown?

Advertisement