Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Social housing in the estate

• 05-01-2022 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

I'm a first time buyer very close to signing the contract in a estate at newbridge.

I was told by solicitor that every state has social housing and we are not aware where it is located.

Will you buy a property when you don't know where social housing is located?

How to find out where social houses are build or allocated in your estate?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Get over yourself OP. There are social houses alongside social houses in almost every estate in the country without issue. If you are so worried buy a detached property not in an estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Red Albey

I'm buying a detached property with in estate. I have never lived or experienced living beside a social housing.

I've seen some comments on boards where people recommending not to buy beside social house.

My worry focusses on social problems and depreciation of value of own property.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭FromADistance

If you're bothered, you could always ask the county council to confirm how many houses they own in the estate. Houses bought by the county council are not registered on the property price register. You'll have a hard job finding an estate anymore without a social house in it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

You have no control over who your neighbours are going to be, they don't have to be in social housing to be good or bad. And houses are turned over, you may have great neighbours now and in a few years the house is sold and you end up with the neighbours from hell and vice versa. Unless you can afford to move out to the country own the land all around your house, it's going to be the luck of the draw who you'll end up living next to.

No one has any say in who their neighbours are, private or social. You might be lucky you may not, that's life!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Amias

Who’s the developer?

Developer is Montane developments. I'm looking to buy a house in Kilbelin abbey estate located in Athgarvan road, newbridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Boards.ie is full of strange middle aged men who hate people in social housing and generally just hate a lot of things in the world, and are terrified of anyone in a tracksuit or a Dublin accent.

I live in a social housing estate and you could hear a pin drop at night. You could move anywhere and have horrible neighbours, that's what it is like to live in a city.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Damien360

That’s a new estate in Newbridge still under construction beside the cemetery. No way of knowing if the whole lot will be sold for social housing or remain private. It’s a busy road and is going to get much busier with another estate opposite built on the flood plain (the country hasn’t learned) and estates all around that area. The reality is lots of housing will be social everywhere as is my estate. What matters is your neighbours and they can be nice or utter pricks regardless of the money they have.

School places are difficult in Newbridge as the estates are built thick and fast with absolutely no additional schools. Amenities are also slow to come here as the public representatives are next to useless for the town.

may I ask the price those are currently selling for ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,522 ✭✭✭Raichu

Oh I bet you’ve read that on boards..

some other great ones from boards:

Anyone on the dole is lazy and just wants to sit at home all day (but yet somehow while doing that go on sun holidays to Spain)

council houses are “free”

the fact is council houses are just houses. The people living there are on the lower end of the income scale, but since when does that make someone bad.

i live in an estate OP, I’ve neighbours either side of me, all these houses are privately owned.

Neighbour 1 are lovely people, the entire family. Very kind people who’ve done us more in the time living with them than any other neighbour we’ve ever had.

neighbour 2 is a fcuking nightmare. Has had the Gardai kick the doors in numerous times (drug raids) had a garda detective giving me hassle in my backyard one day cos he got some idea in his head this neighbour and I were friends (the guy literally has yet to say more than hello to me in the time I’ve lived there), shouting at and beating the Mrs is a weekly occurrence at least, I could go on….

the point being whoever you get to live next to will either be

1. a lovely neighbour
    2. a shite neighbour

I’d rather a council tenant occupied the house next door that behaved themselves over a private tenant (I hope they’re a tenant anyway…) who causes so much trouble.

if you like the house there’s many things to worry about whether or not you live next to a tenant in social housing isn’t one.

council estates would generally have an uptick in anti social behaviour compared to private estates, but it seems whatever trouble is caused tends to be largely a non issue when there’s a few social houses scattered around.

bare in mind also OP, while there could be a block of houses assigned specifically to be social housing it doesn’t necessarily mean it’s the Local Co. council. Housing bodies such as Respond, Cluid etc might own them & they are a LOT stricter on anti social behaviour and the likes than the council from what I’ve heard.

council tenancy is almost permanent and getting kicked out is a reasonable challenge whereas housing bodies are very similar to private landlords and won’t put up with the same shite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Wolftown

Ask the estate agent, when we were looking a few years ago the agent had no problem telling me exactly which houses were social.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Amias

Nobody will tell you which houses are social houses as it tends to be only the developer, council, estate agent and property management company who have the addresses listed. They won’t even tell your solicitor.

most Likely a min of 10% of your estate is social housing.

people say they won’t be registered but that’s not true.

we bought last year in a new estate which has only been completed this month.

it’s easy to identify the social houses here as they all have the exact same roller blinds fitted before anyone moved in. Really stood out as who ever fitted them had OCD and levelled the blinds exactly in every house.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭billyhead

I live in 50/50 private social estate. Theres never an ounce of trouble in it. I live next door to a social housing family from Africa and they keep to themselves and don't bother anyone. My Mum lives in an old fully private estate and her neighbours on one side are ****. So OP I wouldn't get caught up in the whole social housing means trouble or problems narrative. Private owners can be just as bad and even worse.

You aee about to make the biggest purchase of your life. Social housing can be fine and homeowners can be awful, but on balance social housing tends to bring more trouble on average.. also look out for housing charities. The houses will appear as private sales but tend to be given to people who the council wont house again

Thank you all for the response.

I have found this 2021 Q1 report on gov.ie. It says 4 social housing units approved by cluid housing. The status shows 4 units completed in Q2 and other 4 units are blank. Can someone clarify if they are already build or yet to build.

Please see attachment.

Do you mean kilbelin abbey is built on flood plain? Are you referring to opposite estate belin woods?

Can you please clarify?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Damien360

If you are buying on the same side of the road as the cemetery, it’s up on a height, not a hope of floods. The other side of the road is a flood plain for the Liffey. It hasn’t flooded for a very long time but where have you heard that before !

You are right. I could see 8 units are approved by cluid housing body.

Do you have any feedback on this specific estate or locality? Have you heard about any antisocial behavior?

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭generic_throwaway

Personal experience here: lived for a year in a development with no social housing - it was really great. Very tidy, kids monitored when they played outside etc.

After a year, a large block of social housing opened. Generally, it's fine. Some issues with kids not supervised, some minor vandalism, a good bit of littering. But it's by no means a kip or anything. And that was with maybe 30+ social dwellings added to a development of maybe 80 other houses. Most of the issues are probably coming from a couple of those families. There have been a few unpleasant events - for example the criminal ex-boyfriend(?) of someone in the social housing went into the underground car park and smashed up about 20 cars one night. There seem to be ambulances and fire engines called out quite a lot for some reason, and the Gardai are frequently seen parked outside the dwellings, but I've no idea why - could just be welfare checks or something.

TLDR the social housing brought a few issues, but it's not a disaster by any means.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,522 ✭✭✭Raichu

No, I’m not from that area, so I couldn’t say.

however my experience of Newbridge is generally positive. My partner would know NB better and reckons the worst anti social behaviour you might encounter are groups of young lads acting the maggot given it’s close to the less savoury parts of Wicklow and very accessible from Dublin but that’s just day to day in the town - she’s never heard of any major incidents in housing areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

I bought a house in June for 350k(77 house estate

7 doors up is 3 social houses allocated next to each other

We knew they were social housing, it was reference on the developers plans,

Social housing has to be included in new estates,

It is what it is , I don't worry about it , they haven't moved in yet but for all I know they could be the nicest people ever , who knows, I ain't judging ,

Thanks so much for your response. You mentioned about social housing, may I know which year did they opened social houses?

Any idea about the house numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭generic_throwaway

I'm not 100% sure what you mean, but when we were looking at houses on another new build estate, the estate agents were able to tell us which houses were going to be social housing. In our case, the social housing element must have come on stream around 2018, about a year after we moved in.

Wow, they are selling grey and white units for 510 and 515k in just 6-7 months.

Are you referring 3 social houses to red abbey units or white or grey abbey units? Are they build already?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

OP you need to get over this obsession with social housing units. It's an awful lot easier to get rid of a problem social housing tenant than an asshole owner occupier. You don't get to choose your neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭standardg60

Clearly the poster doesn't live in your estate.

Maybe follow the rest of their sentiment, not sure if i'd want you as a neighbour either

Sorry, If I didn't communicate it properly. I'm not against social housing. I have zero knowledge and I'm learning more about social housing because I'm putting my hard earned money into this house. I've read and heard from Internet/friends social housing tends to bring more trouble on average.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,666 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP, at the moment as well as the 10% allocation, there is a high chance that other properties in the estate are being purchased by either the council or an approved housing body. In some parts of the country they are even buying entire estates. So you can expect many social housing neighbours.

• Advertisement

I have few questions about locality. I have messaged you directly. When you have moment, can you please respond.

Advertisement