Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Social housing in the estate

• 05-01-2022 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34 Red Albey

I'm a first time buyer very close to signing the contract in a estate at newbridge.

I was told by solicitor that every state has social housing and we are not aware where it is located.

Will you buy a property when you don't know where social housing is located?

How to find out where social houses are build or allocated in your estate?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Get over yourself OP. There are social houses alongside social houses in almost every estate in the country without issue. If you are so worried buy a detached property not in an estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Red Albey

I'm buying a detached property with in estate. I have never lived or experienced living beside a social housing.

I've seen some comments on boards where people recommending not to buy beside social house.

My worry focusses on social problems and depreciation of value of own property.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭FromADistance

If you're bothered, you could always ask the county council to confirm how many houses they own in the estate. Houses bought by the county council are not registered on the property price register. You'll have a hard job finding an estate anymore without a social house in it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

You have no control over who your neighbours are going to be, they don't have to be in social housing to be good or bad. And houses are turned over, you may have great neighbours now and in a few years the house is sold and you end up with the neighbours from hell and vice versa. Unless you can afford to move out to the country own the land all around your house, it's going to be the luck of the draw who you'll end up living next to.

No one has any say in who their neighbours are, private or social. You might be lucky you may not, that's life!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Amias

Who’s the developer?

Developer is Montane developments. I'm looking to buy a house in Kilbelin abbey estate located in Athgarvan road, newbridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,477 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Boards.ie is full of strange middle aged men who hate people in social housing and generally just hate a lot of things in the world, and are terrified of anyone in a tracksuit or a Dublin accent.

I live in a social housing estate and you could hear a pin drop at night. You could move anywhere and have horrible neighbours, that's what it is like to live in a city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭Damien360

That’s a new estate in Newbridge still under construction beside the cemetery. No way of knowing if the whole lot will be sold for social housing or remain private. It’s a busy road and is going to get much busier with another estate opposite built on the flood plain (the country hasn’t learned) and estates all around that area. The reality is lots of housing will be social everywhere as is my estate. What matters is your neighbours and they can be nice or utter pricks regardless of the money they have.

School places are difficult in Newbridge as the estates are built thick and fast with absolutely no additional schools. Amenities are also slow to come here as the public representatives are next to useless for the town.

may I ask the price those are currently selling for ?

• Oh I bet you’ve read that on boards..

some other great ones from boards:

Anyone on the dole is lazy and just wants to sit at home all day (but yet somehow while doing that go on sun holidays to Spain)

council houses are “free”

the fact is council houses are just houses. The people living there are on the lower end of the income scale, but since when does that make someone bad.

i live in an estate OP, I’ve neighbours either side of me, all these houses are privately owned.

Neighbour 1 are lovely people, the entire family. Very kind people who’ve done us more in the time living with them than any other neighbour we’ve ever had.

neighbour 2 is a fcuking nightmare. Has had the Gardai kick the doors in numerous times (drug raids) had a garda detective giving me hassle in my backyard one day cos he got some idea in his head this neighbour and I were friends (the guy literally has yet to say more than hello to me in the time I’ve lived there), shouting at and beating the Mrs is a weekly occurrence at least, I could go on….

the point being whoever you get to live next to will either be

1. a lovely neighbour
    2. a shite neighbour

I’d rather a council tenant occupied the house next door that behaved themselves over a private tenant (I hope they’re a tenant anyway…) who causes so much trouble.

if you like the house there’s many things to worry about whether or not you live next to a tenant in social housing isn’t one.

council estates would generally have an uptick in anti social behaviour compared to private estates, but it seems whatever trouble is caused tends to be largely a non issue when there’s a few social houses scattered around.

bare in mind also OP, while there could be a block of houses assigned specifically to be social housing it doesn’t necessarily mean it’s the Local Co. council. Housing bodies such as Respond, Cluid etc might own them & they are a LOT stricter on anti social behaviour and the likes than the council from what I’ve heard.

council tenancy is almost permanent and getting kicked out is a reasonable challenge whereas housing bodies are very similar to private landlords and won’t put up with the same shite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Wolftown

Ask the estate agent, when we were looking a few years ago the agent had no problem telling me exactly which houses were social.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Amias

Nobody will tell you which houses are social houses as it tends to be only the developer, council, estate agent and property management company who have the addresses listed. They won’t even tell your solicitor.

most Likely a min of 10% of your estate is social housing.

people say they won’t be registered but that’s not true.

we bought last year in a new estate which has only been completed this month.

it’s easy to identify the social houses here as they all have the exact same roller blinds fitted before anyone moved in. Really stood out as who ever fitted them had OCD and levelled the blinds exactly in every house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭billyhead

I live in 50/50 private social estate. Theres never an ounce of trouble in it. I live next door to a social housing family from Africa and they keep to themselves and don't bother anyone. My Mum lives in an old fully private estate and her neighbours on one side are ****. So OP I wouldn't get caught up in the whole social housing means trouble or problems narrative. Private owners can be just as bad and even worse.

You aee about to make the biggest purchase of your life. Social housing can be fine and homeowners can be awful, but on balance social housing tends to bring more trouble on average.. also look out for housing charities. The houses will appear as private sales but tend to be given to people who the council wont house again

Thank you all for the response.

I have found this 2021 Q1 report on gov.ie. It says 4 social housing units approved by cluid housing. The status shows 4 units completed in Q2 and other 4 units are blank. Can someone clarify if they are already build or yet to build.

Please see attachment.

Do you mean kilbelin abbey is built on flood plain? Are you referring to opposite estate belin woods?

Can you please clarify?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭Damien360

If you are buying on the same side of the road as the cemetery, it’s up on a height, not a hope of floods. The other side of the road is a flood plain for the Liffey. It hasn’t flooded for a very long time but where have you heard that before !

You are right. I could see 8 units are approved by cluid housing body.

Do you have any feedback on this specific estate or locality? Have you heard about any antisocial behavior?

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭generic_throwaway

Personal experience here: lived for a year in a development with no social housing - it was really great. Very tidy, kids monitored when they played outside etc.

After a year, a large block of social housing opened. Generally, it's fine. Some issues with kids not supervised, some minor vandalism, a good bit of littering. But it's by no means a kip or anything. And that was with maybe 30+ social dwellings added to a development of maybe 80 other houses. Most of the issues are probably coming from a couple of those families. There have been a few unpleasant events - for example the criminal ex-boyfriend(?) of someone in the social housing went into the underground car park and smashed up about 20 cars one night. There seem to be ambulances and fire engines called out quite a lot for some reason, and the Gardai are frequently seen parked outside the dwellings, but I've no idea why - could just be welfare checks or something.

TLDR the social housing brought a few issues, but it's not a disaster by any means.

• No, I’m not from that area, so I couldn’t say.

however my experience of Newbridge is generally positive. My partner would know NB better and reckons the worst anti social behaviour you might encounter are groups of young lads acting the maggot given it’s close to the less savoury parts of Wicklow and very accessible from Dublin but that’s just day to day in the town - she’s never heard of any major incidents in housing areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭wally1990

I bought a house in June for 350k(77 house estate

7 doors up is 3 social houses allocated next to each other

We knew they were social housing, it was reference on the developers plans,

Social housing has to be included in new estates,

It is what it is , I don't worry about it , they haven't moved in yet but for all I know they could be the nicest people ever , who knows, I ain't judging ,

Thanks so much for your response. You mentioned about social housing, may I know which year did they opened social houses?

Any idea about the house numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭generic_throwaway

I'm not 100% sure what you mean, but when we were looking at houses on another new build estate, the estate agents were able to tell us which houses were going to be social housing. In our case, the social housing element must have come on stream around 2018, about a year after we moved in.

Wow, they are selling grey and white units for 510 and 515k in just 6-7 months.

Are you referring 3 social houses to red abbey units or white or grey abbey units? Are they build already?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

OP you need to get over this obsession with social housing units. It's an awful lot easier to get rid of a problem social housing tenant than an asshole owner occupier. You don't get to choose your neighbours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭standardg60

Clearly the poster doesn't live in your estate.

Maybe follow the rest of their sentiment, not sure if i'd want you as a neighbour either

Sorry, If I didn't communicate it properly. I'm not against social housing. I have zero knowledge and I'm learning more about social housing because I'm putting my hard earned money into this house. I've read and heard from Internet/friends social housing tends to bring more trouble on average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,083 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP, at the moment as well as the 10% allocation, there is a high chance that other properties in the estate are being purchased by either the council or an approved housing body. In some parts of the country they are even buying entire estates. So you can expect many social housing neighbours.

• Advertisement

I have few questions about locality. I have messaged you directly. When you have moment, can you please respond.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

It really doesn't matter where they are in the estate. If there are troublemakers (owners/private rental tenants/council tenants) in the estate you'll know about it. But like I said, it's easier to get rid of social housing tenants. We did here. Owner occupiers that are trouble are ten times the trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,284 ✭✭✭✭rob316

OP if you buy anywhere old or new there is social housing, its strange your sort of fear of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

OP if you go onto the planning portal and read though the documents for your estate there will normally be one site plan drawing showing which houses are going to be Part 5 or Part V, developers need to tell the council this to get planning but this will only layout the minimum required social housing, nothing to stop the council buying up another 50% of the houses if they want.

Thank you. Can you please share the link to that portal.

I was checking kildare.ie portal but couldn't find them.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Freddie Mcinerney

Not in this sub section of boards. Bunch of swatters with their notions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭uli84

just seen article online from 2021 - Law change to make 20% of units in new developments affordable or social homes - anybody know if this went through?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

If it means there's any benefit to the normal hard working person and I haven't looked it up but you can be guaranteed 100% NO

Yeah it already came into force but wont be seen in new developments for a while:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

I grew up in social housing (council estate) and I think people are right to be worried about the level of social housing in an estate. Most of the people in the estate were decent people. I would say about 5% of the houses in the estate were very problematic, there was a further certain percentage who were not as bad but could also cause problems. They made everyone else's life a misery. But not at the beginning, I think that is what many here are possibly misunderstanding.

It is not as such the high level dramatic stuff, it is the small things when the kids get a bit older. As some here have mentioned, it is very difficult to evict families if they are in a council house, no matter the trouble they cause in the estate. If kids are continuously throwing stones at your window or scratching the car and the parents don't care, what do you think happens? Nothing. There is literally nothing you can do if you are being targeted by the kids in the estate.

Over the years some families were doing a lot better than others and this is where the resentment starts to come in. If someone got a new car, there would be stones thrown at it, that type of thing. After I left at around 19, my parents moved out a couple of years later as there was no peace in the estate. I would imagine this situation would be even worse in a mixed private and social estate, where the gap between have and have-not will be greater. Of course, you won't see any of this for more than 10 years.

It really depends on who they move into the estate, is it a lot of people who are not working? Who is getting prioritised for social housing? In theory it could work, if problem families had to face consequences for their own and their children's behaviour, but it's Ireland, they don't and they never will. It is also true that you could have a bad private neighbour, but it is much less likely. I think people use this as a coping mechanism as they have no control over the social housing situation in the estate.

There seems to be a big issue as we have moved away from council houses in the traditional sense to the current social housing, its only when I've been looking to buy my own home and you look around on the land registry that you can see the massive volume of old council houses throughout our towns and cities but these were affordable homes for working people who were paying rent with the option to buyout the home at a reduced price after a few years, this meant they considered that house their home for life and were fully invested in maintaining the house and their neighborhood to a high standard as any homeowner would and these were nice places to live with decent hardworking people.

Nowadays too much of the housing is going to lifetime dole'ers who don't give two sh#ts and just want to sponge as much money from the government as possible while being rewarded for knocking out as many kids as possible who will take after them and the governments policy is to land them in with massively stressed couples mortgaged up to their eyeballs in a new estate who can't afford to have kids, of course its a recipe for disaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

There were plenty of people in what you call traditional council houses who couldn't be bothered looking after the area. There were some "lifetime dole'ers" in the 80's and 90's too, but I think it would not have been anything like the level we have now. It was also very much looked down on, I don't know if you can say the same now.

Anyway, it was just my 2 cents. I think a lot of the posters on here are fairly naive about what can happen.When I lived there, if there were kids outside throwing things I would go out and chase them away (as a teenager). I am not sure if the innocent little lambs, with their middle class upbringing, would be happy sending their teenage son out.

As a general rule, try to avoid being near somewhere that kids would naturally hang around, like a lane way, or end house with a small wall and you will probably save yourself some bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,814 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I think its a fantastic idea to have 10% of houses in estate for social housing ,

The biggest plus is kids from poorer families get to grow up around kids from more well off families & become friends,

When you had the old school council estates the kids to often never left there area & only grew up around poorer families & knew nothing else ,Lots of families had issues like addiction & bad behaviour & so on ,so the kids never broke that cycle & ended up with that benefits mindset for life as that's all the knew, , Not all of course but you get hat i'm saying ,

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

Any new build estate over a certain number of houses will have a number of social housing units allocated. You also don't know then if the council is going to jump in and try and get a few more of these units. 20 percent now going to be the minimum standard, absolute farce. My advice to anyone asking is always to avoid these new estates because of the risk involved.

I'd avoid new build estates in general, not just because of this issue, but all these new build estates are going to have gangs of teenagers running around in 15 years because everyone in them is at similar ages and similar parts of their life cycle. Even the ones from better behaved families are going to be up to no good given the huge group of them that will exist.

Better to look at a mature estate with drastically different ages, with more staggered development of families.

Avoid any houses near any obvious congregating areas. Make multiple visits at night before you buy, especially on weekends.

You essentially have to be unemployed to be under the income limit for social housing, as two adults on minimum wage anywhere in Ireland has you over the income limit. So this misconception about modern social housing applicants being these hard working unlucky sorts is just nonsense.

So you're going to very likely be living next to a lifetime doler, with tons of children. Those children are going to get older and become teenagers. Teenagers are trouble, children of lifetime dolers are a whole other breed of trouble. And that's before you consider some other people that you could be living beside.

Social housing tenants are infact very hard to evict, because if they are somehow thrown out, the council still has the burden of housing them, so the councils don't want to know. They just don't care.

Of course you could get a decent social housing tenant, but, one thing you know is that if you buy beside another legitimate buyer, they at least had to work hard to get the money to get the property, and should take some pride in it given they actually own it. If you ever try to sell your property and your neighbour has a broken down car and weeds all over the lawn potential buyers will run a mile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,284 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The alternative is ghettos and deprived areas like have been created previously. Plenty of decent people that can't shake off an address

Sure, I understand it from the other perspective and I understand there are decent people. However the income limits basically near guarantee a certain profile of social housing applicant in 2023.

Better off taking your chance next to a neighbour who has paid for their house, who has shown an ability to get up 5 days a week early in the morning, work hard and come home. Off course you'll get a few bad apples in that group but far less likely to have them vs the unemployed types waiting for their forever home.

The days of moving up the housing ladder are dying, most people buying now are getting on the ladder and that's that. People have to sacrifice years trying to save for a home, better that they know exactly the situation they are getting into. This is 300,000k + we are talking about, let other people be the virtue signallers and try to improve communities, you make sure you have a house free from trouble for the next 50 years.

Tons of estates where there is barely any to no social housing, given that social housing was traditionally kept together. Sure the council might buy a one off here or there but far better off taking chances in a more mature estate.

Those mature estates will have drastically different age profiles too, which is a huge benefit given there won't be gangs of teenagers taking over the place in 15 years time, there will be enough of a spread in ages that it should remain a relatively quiet place.

20 percent of all estates is an absolute farce too, regardless of anybodies well wishes. Can you imagine being so much of an idiot that you pay 400-500k for a home in a 100 home estate when 20 homes are basically for free to people who don't work with a miniscule rent payment on them?

I guarantee, absolutely guarantee that people moving into these new builds will all be complaining about the social issues in 15 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,615 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

So many are obsessed with this, the policy will not change so all new housing will have a percentage of social housing so the best option for the poster is to buy a secondhand house.

People living in the real world is it? Which bit of the above was untrue?

10 virtue signalling points to you though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

Which bit was unture?

For one: the bit about people in social housing don't work. There's a few others but i couldn't really be ars*d taking the rest of your diatribe apart

• Advertisement
Advertisement