Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What impact is Covid having on the Environment?

Options
  • 18-12-2021 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,603 ✭✭✭

What impact is Covid having on the Environment?

I imagine the amount of plastic being used is incredible - masks, test kits, PPE gear, syringes, sanitizer bottles, gloves etc

All the people working from home and doing online shopping must have a positive effect on car usage and air quality in urban areas. Same for air travel (holidays and business).

People are generally ignoring the climate change crisis all the same. Apart from COP26, Covid is the only show in town.

What else?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Comments

well, the rich have been flying in private jets rather than first class, so that's terrible for the environment. online vs in-person shopping is a toss-up IMO because all those packages still have to be delivered (and packaged up). for trips people do end up taking, they have been using public transit less and driving more, which is also bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Piollaire

Covid is spreading through wildlife populations such as deer [1]. It's impact is unknown but I presume the old and weak are getting picked off.

1. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/nov/11/us-covid-wildlife-virus

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Online shopping is only good for the environment if there's no returns, if there's returns they usually end up in the bin so that's not environmentally friendly.

Traffic is nearly as bad as pre Covid, it was only low when we where in full lock downs now everyone is out and about. People afraid of catching Covid are driving now instead of getting public transport.

The move to outdoor dining isn't very good for the environment when you are using patio heaters, people applaud the removal of bad for the environment cars from our streets yet praise heating the outside!! And I'd say that the amount of pop up coffee van's isn't very environmentally friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

The cost of a lot of cheap Ch1nese sh1te has gone up. Lots of things are hard to get now and people are doing without or repairing old

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

What kind of harm are the popup coffee vans doing? Take away cups?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Littering of surgical masks is a disaster.

A/c systems in work are now working at maximum speed, energy saving mode is disabled, returning to paper towels instead of hand dryers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Antigen and PCR testing must be horrific for the environment. Masks too.

Amazing how people suddenly don't care about the environment when faced with a "crisis".

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

The amount of discarded masks is disgusting. I'd say I pick up 5 every time I go for a walk, easy.

I saw an estimate that the UK alone was sending 1.6 billion masks a month to landfill.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Registered Users Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

People don't care about anything else if something is affecting their life.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Better send masks to landfill then people…

the way some people go on they’d rather hospitals dispense with breathing tubes as it’s bad for the environment… made of plastic..nuts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

It's possible to have a care for both the environment and people. Crazy, I know.

We don't send people to landfill, FYI. It's sort of frowned upon.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

Advertisement