Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What Games Have You Completed? (2022 EDITION!)

• 30-12-2021 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭

I know I'm like a day and a half early writing up this thread, but I'm not gonna be at my computer when the New Year comes around so I said I'd make the thread now and get it over with.

Welcome to 2022

Here's to another year of battering games to completion🥂.

The same criteria applies;

• 100% Completed
    • All Trophies/Achievements Obtained
    • Credits Rolled

Any of the above (or all) count as beating a game. No need to feel like you have to do every single thing in a game to warrant listing it here.

It can also be any game at all (yes, even arcade fighting games 😂😂😂😂)

You can compile your list (if you want to make a list) in any way you see fit.

Below is my list of beaten games for 2021

With that said, go forth and beat more games!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

1. Shady Part of Me (PS4 on PS5) - mentioned it on another thread, but really enjoyable puzzle platformer in the vain of Limbo, Little Nightmares, etc. You control two personalities of one person, working together to solve several mini puzzles, with a clever light/shade dynamic. Relatively short, around 5 hours, but feels just right before the format got tedious. Highly recommend at the current sale price €5.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

[Xbox]

Halo MCC: Halo CE

Good game apart from the flood and the driving section at the end. It is my third time to play it once on original Xbox and then the re-release on the Xbox 360. Luckily I got through the driving section on my second attempt. Cortanna told me to wait for a ship which is the wrong thing to do. And the space ship blew up with me still on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Hoping to have a bigger list this year now that I have a series x with game pass

The Artful Escape (Xbox Series X)

You play the nephew of a famous dead folk musician Johnson Vendetti (who looks suspiciously like Bob Dylan.) Everyone is expecting you to replace him but you're rubbish at folk and would rather be the next Bowie playing space guitar. The night before your first show you're visited by an alien who needs you to play a show in space. The gameplay is a simple platformer with Parappa style jamming boss battles. Lots of cool moments in it while you play a holographic guitar that interacts with the different planets you visit. It's only 4 hours long

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

My Tally from last year:

1. Megaman X2|SNES
    2. Streets of Rage 4|PC
    3. Sekiro|PC
    4. Megaman 7|SNES
    5. Megaman 8|PS1
    6. Megaman X3|SNES
    7. Megaman & Bass|SNES
    8. 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim|PS4
    9. Broken Sword: Director's Cut|PC
    10. Command & Conquer: Red Alert|PC
    11. Mischief Makers|N64
    12. Wolfenstein 2: New Colossus (DLC)|PC
    13. Deception 4: Blood Ties|PS4
    14. Final Fantasy Adventure|Gameboy
    15. Virtua Racing|Switch
    16. Thief 2: The Metal Age|PC
    17. Medal of Honor: Allied Assault: Spearhead|PC
    18. Crysis Remaster|PC
    19. God of War: Chain of Olympus|PS3
    20. Resident Evil Village|PC
    21. Live a Live|SNES
    22. Clockwork Knight|Saturn
    23. DuckTales|NES
    24. Drakengard 3|PS3
    25. Double Dragon|NES
    26. Secret of Mana|SNES
    27. Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions|Android
    28. Halo 5: Guardians|XBox One
    29. Air Combat|PS1
    30. Kamui|PC
    31. DuckTales 2|NES
    32. Turok Dinosaur Hunter|PC
    33. Professor Layton and Pandora's Box|Android
    34. Ape Escape|PS1
    35. No One Lives Forever|PC
    36. DuckTales Remastered|PC
    37. Yakuza: Like a Dragon|PC
    38. Asterix|Master System
    39. McDonald's Treasure Land Adventure|Megadrive
    40. Fuga: Melodies of Steel|PC
    41. Quake|PC
    42. Return of the Obra Dinn|PC
    43. Tail Concerto|PS1
    44. Contra 3 (Hard Mode)|SNES
    45. Rocket Knight|PC
    46. Enemy Zero|PC
    47. Quake Mission Pack 1: Scourge of Armagon|PC
    48. Final Fantasy II: Pixel Remaster|PC
    49. Sparkster (Hard Mode)|SNES
    50. Sweet Home|NES
    51. Yakuza: Dead Souls|PS3
    52. Picross S3|Switch
    53. Umurangi Generation|PC
    54. Umurangi Generation: Macro DLC|PC
    55. Metroid Dread|Switch
    56. Castlevania 2: Belmont's Revenge|Gameboy

Best Game: Umurangi Generation

Just loved this game's laid back gameplay loop and the music was excellent.

Runner Up: Sekiro

From Software has another masterpiece

Honourable mentions: Mischief Makers, Yakuza: Like a Dragon, 13 Sentinels, Deception 4, FF Tactics, Obra Dinn, Metroid Dread, Streets of Rage 4, Sweet Home, DuckTales (NES)

Pleasant Surprise: Fuga: Melodies of Steel

This came out of no where. I didn't realise it was even released until I saw it on Twitter. Also introduced me to Tail Concerto. Really fun RPG that is quite simple but has a lot of depth.

Biggest Disappointment: Secret of Mana

I had heard so much hype about this game and regarded it as a masterpiece from the bit I played but sitting down to it I realise now it's a janky mess. This just beat out Enemy Zero and Sparkster. The former at least had an interesting idea while the later was middling at best.

Outright Bad: Drakengard 3

Was tough to choose this over Halo 5. While Halo 5 was an uninspiring and boring shooter, at least it ran silky smooth and was over in 8 hours. Drakengard 3 has good ideas that were never fully realised spread thin over a long running time with poor game design and awful performance.

Overall had a pretty good year of finishing games. 56 completed. Really enjoyed playing games this year after falling out of love with them and really glad I've kept to my policy of not playing boring triple A icon vomit games because it means I'm actually enjoying the games I'm playing. Was very tough to pick out not only a game of the year but also honorable mentions as I played a lot of really great stuff last year.

Might be a while before I add to 2022's list. Currently playing Trails in the Sky Second Chapter which is notoriously long but could maybe bang out some gameboy games in between.

1. The Outer Worlds [Xbox Series X]

This is actually my second play through, as my first was on Nintendo Switch and after that session I concluded that it was merely a decent game.

However, now that I've played it on superior hardware my opinion of the game has increased significantly. The Switch port is just awful compared to the real experience.

The writing and quests are top drawer, the combat feels fluid and the graphics are pretty good too. I like how it feels like your decisions really matter, with plenty of dialogue options.

The few criticisms I have are that the game is too short and limited in scope, but maybe that was Obsidian's choice to make something manageable, so I'll be expecting more from the sequel. Another criticism I have is the looting economy, which is far too generous. There is mountains of ammo, mods, weapons, etc found everywhere.

I'd highly recommend playing this, especially if you have Game Pass. Just don't play the awful Switch version.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement

I loved that game too. The DLC's are on gamepass too and well worth playing.

I didn't see the DLC on Game Pass, or are they just already loaded in?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Might try and do this properly this year, but it'll be a short list in comparison to some... thought I did a lot of gaming!

1: Ori and the Will of the Wisps XSX

Having just finished The Blind Forest just before the New Year, I was in love and went straight into this. Everything about it was brilliant, and definitely 2 of the best games ever made imo. You can feel the love put into both games, and the pinnacle of their genre. Reminded me of the just as excellent Dust: An Elysian Tale. I mentioned in the Xbox thread, but these games are, imo, console sellers.

Add them in the store rather than the Gamepass section.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,242 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

1. Immortals Fenyx Rising - PlayStation 5

Immortals Fenyx Rising

Although the vast majority of this game was completed in 2021, I finished it in 2022 so it goes on this list!

I enjoyed it a lot as I took all the things I liked about Breath of the Wild and ditched all the things I didn't like! Gameplay is fun and varied and I really enjoyed the puzzles. The game also looks and plays great on a PS5.

The only downsides are that the story was nonsense and the characters were annoying with some terrible attempts at humour and the game was too long, especially if go for the platinum trophy like I did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

GAME: Resident Evil (Remake)

PLATFORM: PS4

I have to laugh at myself for once again starting a year off with Resident Evil 😂 Village put me in the mood to go back and beat the original*. (*kind of. I know it's the remake but it's basically the same)

This was the first time I ever played through the first story through to completion. I got the good ending too. I also have no shame in admitting I had a walkthrough open while I played. It actually made me enjoy it more as a result. Playing it authentically, without guides, was a huge turnoff, I couldn't do it before on PS1 and I struggled on this version as well until I said "F*ck it". Didn't stop me from messing up on occasion, so I played far from flawlessly.

Overall it was rather enjoyable. I played through the whole game using the tank control scheme as well (the best way to play).

I can now safely say, bar 6 and Zero, I've beaten every mainline, numbered entry in the RE series (IN SOME FORM)

REmake, REmake 2, REmake 3, RE4, RE5, RE7, RE Village. I'm fairly happy with that.

I don't know when I'll ever get to RE6. I was put off by the general opinion but I've seen it being played and it honestly didn't look that bad. I'd say its biggest downfall was the tone of it being far removed from RE than any other entry. Maybe I'm wrong.....

I didn't really enjoy Zero - I didn't like the co-op AI mechanic they added to it. I played it a couple of years ago and I put a good few hours into before I realised the gameplay wasn't for me.

I downloaded the original PS1 versions of RE2 and RE3. I thought I was gonna dive straight into those after beating this but now I don't know if I will. I think it might be too jarring. I'll think about it.

REmake, though, *chef's kiss* perfection.

(I just found out I beat the game on Easy, I thought the middle option was Normal)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Old school Resi 1-3 are still worth while playing. Resi 2 and 3 are much more action orientated and there's less adventure game elements than in Resi 1.

Also Resi 1 is still worth playing after Remake. One of the best things about REmake is that it is different enough from Resi 1 that it doesn't negate it as an experience.

1. Master Chief Collection: Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary [Xbox]
    2. Master Chief Collection: Halo 2 Anniversary [Xbox]

Halo 2 MCC

Good game it's my second time to play it. I originally played it on the original Xbox. More cinematic than the first plus it was remastered to look better which it did.

I have plans to play them all but it can get a bit overwhelming knowing I have four more to play plus the latest one Infinite. I'm Halo'd out at the minute. Once I recoup I will continue on the mission to play them all.

I actually have Biohazard on PS1.... I'd say it's not that easy to play with the Japanese text (rhetorical) 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 33,199 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I was absolutely loving that game and really wanted to try go for the platinum too. Then after 5 minutes in the Kings Peak area all my enthusiasm for the game plummeted and I realised I didn't want to put myself through having to complete everything in that area, which meant the platinum was no longer worth going for. I ended up just finishing the story and deleting the game.

Might try this thing myself this year.

Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales (PS5)

The extended Gwent game from The Witcher 3. Simplifies it in some respects, but for the most part it's functionally the same but greatly expanded on. There's a wide range of different cards which open up completely different decks/strategies.

The overworld part of the game as you walk through different areas collecting resources and encountering battles is a cartoony, isometric world which isn't always the easiest to navigate around. Collision detection for some parts of the landscape are awful and can cause a lot of time trying to get past a tree stump you know you should be able to walk past.

There are regular choices to be made when you encounter enemies or other persons. Unlike many other games where there's usually a clear "This is the good option and this is the evil option", most of the choices in this are well thought-out and balanced, where your choices can have impacts later on and aren't always clear cut. The story as a whole is decent, though I did find myself just quickly skimming past a lot of the text as it can take a lot of time.

Once you get a few decent cards and start having a strategy, most fights won't present much hassle, though many battles will often throw in one or two cards or abilities you've never seen before which can completely mess you up if you don't handle them the right way. This can be especially annoying if it's a three-round fight meaning you've to start the full battle again.

Many of the puzzle fights you'll encounter involve very specific puzzles you've to try figure out which will often take numerous tries as you're using new cards or cards with specific abilities and have to carry out particular tasks. Trying to figure out, remember and plan what you're supposed to do can be tough as hell.

By far the worst thing about the game though is the performance is awful. I probably encountered more crashes in this game than anything else since having to blow into Mega-Drive cartridges to get it to play. On one night it took me 6 attempts to even get into the game as it kept crashing at the main menu. It would also often crash after particularly tough battles where you might have gotten a new card. Trying to check out your new card often caused a crash, and usually meant having to replay the battle too if the autosave hadn't kicked in. It was never enough to put me off the game, but it definitely got close.

Overall though, I really enjoyed the game and put in almost 40 hours by the end which is tremendous value, especially as I bought it for €20 a week or two before it went on sale for €6. Gwent was one of my favourite parts of The Witcher 3 and this didn't disappoint in that regard. It always felt great when your strategy starts to kick in and you start completely dominating what should be a tough opponent, and getting new or upgraded cards which you know will bring you to a whole new level. Everything outside the main card battles are simplistic enough to not detract from the card games, while also being mostly engaging enough to never feel like a chore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

Ender Lillies: Quietus of the Knights

Picked this up on Switch last month, had my eye on it for a while and had big expectations. Started off strong, really nice looking game and the music is good too. Unfortunately it fizzled out for me about halfway through and went from enjoying it to enduring it quite quickly. For starters, the game has a habit of hiding items such as levers in incredibly obscure places that you don't intuitively find eventually like most good metroidvanias. Things tend to be hidden marginally off screen so unless your looking all over the screen while fighting off enemies then your gonna miss it. In most decent games of this type I have a sense of 'ah, there is is' kind of satisfaction when I found what I needed to progress; often with Ender Lillies I have more of a sense of 'ah, for f$ck sake' when I eventually found what I was looking for. The way the map is presented only adds to the frustration and confusion here.

My main issue was the bosses. I enjoy hard bosses in Souls type games and the test of a good boss for me is, no matter how hard he is or how long he takes to beat, I still feel satisfied at eventually achieving the victory. Not so much here, there is a big over reliance on cheap one shot moves with the bosses and some ridiculous HP pools in the later bosses. Also, the game relies heavily on the outdated mechanic of contact damage. This becomes a big issue when you have a boss you need to stay close to but once he bumps into you he takes a third of your health bar.

The penultimate level is one of the most ridiculous I've ever come across in a metroidvania. Won't spoil anything but, in a genre that is supposed to encourage exploration, they make a level that you essentially have to speed run through.

Anyway, happy to have one ticked off the list a week into the new year. Think I'll get back to either Crosscode or Urumangi now for a change of pace.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,242 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

2. Persian Nights: Sands of Wonder - PS4 game on PlayStation 5
    3. Rad Rodgers - PS4 game on PlayStation 5 (PS Now)

Two quick ones to add to the list.

Persian Nights: Sands of Wonder is another Artifex Mundi puzzle game, a real guilty pleasure of mine, This one was fun as always but was lacking a bonus chapter.

Rad Rodgers is a game I started after looking for short games on PS Now. It looked fun and it was a degree. It's a basic action platformer with loads to collect in each level which I didn't bother with. It's very short, only ten levels, but that was fine for me. It's the trophy list that's silly in this one, all bar two a very difficult to get and you don't even get a trophy for finishing the game. It's the very definition of mediocre.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Assassins Creed Odyssey, XBox Series X

Finally ... !!!!

Completed main game. First AC game. Recommend it based on the points below if you've never played an AC game. If you have then maybe it'd be more of the same for you. Not going to play AC anything else, unless they are cheap and I win the lottery and can give up my day job. Recommend you watch a good few videos so you can power up quickly and progress quickly through the game.

The good:

• Beautiful presentation, gorgeous in 4k 60 FPS. Beautiful art style.
    • Just plays great on Series X. Fast loading, no hitches. Super polished to be honest.
    • Really upbeat cheerful blue sky/seas game, with some decent humour, despite all the murder in it.
    • Definitely recommend for anybody suffering from SAD or feeling down or sick of dark/zombie/hard/depressing/... games.
    • Ancient Greece is a great setting for this. It really shines. Just dive off a high peak into the blue sea to see what I mean.
    • Great game to switch off to. Just go, pick an island and do all the achievements on it.
    • Kassandra is a great protagonist. Glad I picked her rather than her brother. Great voice acting. "Malakas" ha ha. Never gets old. :)
    • Cheap. Got this game + all the DLCs for < 25 quid
    • No hitches, glitches, bugs. It certainly pays to wait for the developers to fix those bugs and polish the game!
    • Huge world. Fun to get around, sailing is fun. Barnabas is a laugh. 
    • Ikaros, the eagle, is a great companion. But underused.
    • Good blend of ancient Greek history fact and fiction. 
    • Easy to navigate and use menus and abilities. Controls are well though out. Are you listening RDR2.
    • Finding and destroying members of the cult is an engaging layer of gameplay. This is probably the only involving part of the game.
    • Abilities are fun and there is a well designed progression in them. The spartan kick is brilliant and never gets old.
    • Some side quests and islands are excellent. E.g. Minotaur, Sphinx, Mykonos quests.
    • The conquest battles are epic. Especially when you're suitably powered up. And the game doesn't hitch at all, with all the action going on.
    • Some of the forts/castles are magnificent and it is a load of fun clearing them out by stealth and/or by direct combat. 
    • Water is done really well. From still calm beaches to rolling seas. Underwater, water at depth, diving, surfacing is done super well.
    • Still have all the DLCs to do. The Atlantis one is supposed to be really good. Can't imagine how I'll get the time to do these. Next Xmas ...

The bad:

• Too large and time consuming to get to main game completion. 
    • In hindsight I could have got there sooner; but the game still does not respect the player's time. It takes days to level up ...
    • A lot of repetitive grinding quests. The main/better quests have a special icon, so best to stick to those mostly.
    • Some AC current day animus nonsense - have no idea what it's about - nor do I care.
    • The tomb/caves are mostly the same. Oh there's a snake.

The ugly:

• The Ubisoft shop is one tab away. This is annoying when going through game menus. Takes me out of the game.

Improvements:

• Give the player the option of a short, medium or long main campaign. Reduce the amount of grinding.
    • Ikaros could have been used for a lot more - Example: collecting things, triggering things, accessing things, side quests, ...
    • Lots more editing. Reduce all the grindy quests into more meaningful/involving quests.
    • Definitely need a more realistic way to get down off high places. Falling without any damage takes me out of the game. Definitely need a paraglider or something. Maybe some kind of local fast travel.

3. Master Chief Collection: Halo 3 [Xbox]

Halo 3

Played this at release on the 360 but forgot it all. Good game found it a bit of a slog at the end as I thought I was on the last mission for the last few missions as they were hectic. Damn flood. Should be expected as they were in the two previous. And then the driving section at the end(only part I remembered from years ago) was a throw back to Halo 1 ending not as tricky as Halo 1's though but seemed to go on forever.

Firewatch - Xbox Series X

It's basically a hiking simulator with a mystery to solve that adds a bit of tension to the experience. I enjoyed it, as it was just four hours long and was a nice change of pace from high energy games.

I thought the way the preamble worked to help you immerse into the protagonists backstory was well done.

It's not an amazing game, but it's decent.

• Advertisement

1. Shady Part Of Me (PS4 on PS5)

2. Adam's Venture: Origins (PS4 on PS5) - mixed feelings on this one but was short (approx 4 hours) and fairly straightforward so no bother to finish. On the face off it is a low budget Uncharted/Tomb Raider minus the combat, has a wee bit of platforming but mainly puzzles, some of which seem very unfitting to the scenario (variations upon Sudoko type number puzzles aplenty). The story is nothing to write home about, but worse of all the characters and especially their dialogue is cringeworthy at best. All that said, there's a certain charm with the PS3 graphics and linear gameplay sending you back to simpler times, the cringe turns to so-bad-its-funny-cheese, and given its short length becomes a reasonable palate cleanser amongst larger modern day games. The minecart sections were very enjoyable, a surprisingly good sense of speed fed through well.

GAME: Metroid: Zero Mission

PLATFORM: Wii U

I originally started the game when I first got my Wii U last year but I wasn't enjoying using the stupid gamepad if I wanted to play it off the TV (the screen on the gamepad stays on no matter what), so I waited until I found a Pro controller. I got one last week, so I resumed it there over the weekend.

This game was an absolute delight to play. I've played Metroid games before (Super Metroid being my first dive into the series) and I've dabbled in the original and played the first 5 minutes of Dread, but I kinda wanted to get a feel for the series as a whole before playing the latest one, so Zero Mission felt like a good starting point, seeing as it's a remake of the original. I think "Metroidvanias" are slowly becoming one of my favourite genres, having played Symphony of the Night to completion 2 years ago and tanning both Ori games in the same space of time, I've come to appreciate this style a lot more, especially after playing this.

I got a real sense of accomplishment when this showed up on screen;

I also found out that upon finishing the game, I only had 53% of all collectibles. I thought I explored almost everywhere in the game - it's a lot bigger than I thought. But, regardless, I had so much fun. Upgrading Samus gradually was an addictive experience.

Happy to report I finally beat my first ever Metroid game.

Now, my next challenge is finding Samus Returns for a decent price 😂

First blood:

1. Trails in the Sky Second Chapter|PC

Trails in the Sky Second Chapter

Once upon a time there was a little company called Falcom who were making an RPG so big and epic in scope they had to break it into two games. And both games were still gargantuan RPGs. 110 hours is the final tally on my game clock.

SC follows on straight after the cliffhanger of the first game with Estelle Bright and her team of Bracers investigating the plans of the mysterious ouroboros organisation while searching for a missing friend. I can't say anymore as it will spoil most of the first game.

Trails SC famously took 4 years to localise and it's easy to see why. Not on is the game huge but the dialogue is also extremely complex. You can carry your save over from the first game which means NPCs and characters will react to you differently depending on what you did in the first game. You also have a large team of bracers who you can swap out at any time and each team has separate dialogue for story and side quest events. And just like FC, NPC dialogue will change as you progress the story and they go about their lives. It's a miracle it got localised at all.

Thankfully all the work paid off because Trails games rely on their exceptional writing. While the main plot line isn't getting any awards for originality, it is well presented as a mystery to be solved with a fantastic climatic pay off at the end. It reminds me a lot of Grandia with some Ghibli influence as well. The characters and the banter between them is where the game excels. The lead character Estelle Bright is quite simply one of the best characters in any videogame. In the first game she starts of as a naïve country bumpkin with little experience outside of her home town she slowly grew into a adapt Bracer enforcer. In SC she is a lot more confident in her abilities. Side characters play off Estelle in an enjoyable way but the stand out is Olivier. Olivier is a mysterious travelling bard and the worlds biggest equal opportunities sleazebag. He tries it on with every character and Estelle is well able for him. Their exchanges are frequently laugh out loud hilarious. Olivier was only in the first game for a short period but Falcom must have recognised how popular he was because SC is very Olivier heavy.

The battle system hasn't changed much from FC but it was so good in FC there was no need to change it. It's turn based and has a visible turn order which can be manipulated with various abilities. Stat buffs and debuffs also play an important part in the battle system. There's plenty of depth to sink your teeth into and some great boss battles. SC is filled with side quests which are well worth doing. Each is either a short story in itself or a challenging boss battle.

If there's one criticism I can level at the game is that like FC it takes it's time. It's a much slower game than most JRPGs with a lot of emphasis on character interaction rather than spectacle and combat. XSeed has gone back and added a speed up button to the PC releases which really helps with this. The game isn't for everyone as a result and you have to be prepared to dedicate a lot of time to it. Ultimately its worth it and SC is a great end to the Trails in the Sky duology and a fantastic JRPG.

4. Ori and the Blind Forest (Definitive Edition) [Xbox]

Ori and the Blind Forest

Great game nerve wrecking at times but not impossible. I actually started this game and left it but decided to give it another go and I'm glad I did as it's easier once you get double jump and even triple jump.

Well I'm on a roll so far this year. Four games so far.

1. Trails in the Sky Second Chapter|PC
    2. Operation C|Gameboy

Operation C

Absolutely loving the analogue pocket!

Operation C is the first Contra game on the gameboy and a follow up to Super C/Probtoector 2 on the NES. It's therefore closest to Super C with 5 stages alternating between side scrolling and top down action. Levels are really well designed and they really nail the NES contra gameplay and movement on the gameboy. It's good looking game for gameboy. Music is a mix of new tracks and covers of Super C music. The covers don't sound as good as on NES but the original music sounds excellent.

It's a much shorter game than super C with 5 stages instead of 8 but the stages are very well designed and there's not a bad level here. The shorter game length suits the portable nature of the game. There's a second loop which increases enemy damage and slightly changes enemy and boss behaviour if you want an extra challenge.

Overall this is a great portable entry to the Contra series.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,889 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Thought I'd give this a go this year

1. Kena Bridge of Spirits - PS5
    2. The Gunk - Xbox Game Pass

Kena Bridge of Spirits PS5

Enjoyed most of the game but for some boss very unforgiving especially the final boss

The Gunk Xbox Game Pass

Alright game not really combat heavy but found the whole sucking up Gunk feature cool.

2. Persian Nights: Sands of Wonder - PS4 game on PlayStation 5
    3. Rad Rodgers - PS4 game on PlayStation 5 (PS Now)
    4. Shady Part of Me - PS4 game on PlayStation 5

Shady Part of Me

I hadn't heard of this game before until JimBurnley posted about it in this thread. I enjoyed it a lot. The artwork is great and the puzzles are not too difficult although I did have to look up how to get some of the origami cranes. It's a good length and an easy enough platinum trophy. Very enjoyable indie puzzle game.

I'm hoping to play more of these shorter type games this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Battlefield 4, xbox one.

Decided to download this from gamepass as I completed the xbox 360 version years ago when it came out and liking it. Its gas, i started yesterday around mid-day and finished the campaign a couple of hours later. Don't think I've ever completed a game within a single day before.

But it's good. Very good. They put a lot of effort into the environments in the game.

4. Ori and the Blind Forest (Definitive Edition) [Xbox]
    5. Firewatch [Xbox]

Firewatch

It's a decent game and it's on gamepass and is short and it's an easy 1000GS.

• Advertisement

1. Shady Part Of Me (PS4 on PS5)

2. Adam's Venture: Origins (PS4 on PS5)

3. The Order 1886 (PS4 on PS5) - firstly, this is a stunning looking game, especially given its age. Audio is excellent too with some great voice performances. Gameplay is a mixture of cover-shooter and pure story with some QTEs. The shooting is actually really good, and some nice variety in weapons without unnecessary high number of different ones. The story is fairly engaging most of the way, based in London in the late 19th century in a kind of alternative history setting with a supernatural twist to proceedings. The main negative is the slightly incohesive way it blends from being an Uncharted style shooter to this story led game with umpteen cutscenes between the next bit of action, which although engaging can take some of the immersion out of the gameplay. Overall though I'd still recommend worth a playthrough, especially given can be picked up cheap enough and at around 10 hours doesn't out-stay its welcome.

Advertisement