Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Games Have You Completed? (2022 EDITION!)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,863 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

1. Trails in the Sky Second Chapter|PC
    2. Operation C|Gameboy
    3. The Outer Wilds|PC
    4. Kid Dracula|Gameboy
    5. The Outer Wilds: Echoes of the Eye|PC
    6. Illusion of Gaia|SNES
    7. Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3|Gameboy
    8. Shantae|Gameboy Colour
    9. The Forgotten City|PC
    10. Bulk Slash|Saturn
    11. Monster World IV|Megadrive
    12. Medal of Honor: Allied Assault: Breakthrough|PC
    13. Pikmin 3|Switch
    14. Bayonetta 2|Switch
    15. X-Com 2: War of the Chosen|PC
    16. Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts|SNES
    17. GG Shinobi|Game Gear
    18. Elden Ring|PC
    19. Castlevania: Dracula X|SNES
    20. Maken X|Dreamcast

Maken X

Maken X is a very strange game. It's not very often you get a first person melee combat game. It's even weirder to have one from the team at Atlus that is normally responsible for Shin Megami Tensei and Persona. It would be Atlus's first and only game on Dreamcast but also their first foray into a true 3D game.

Maken X takes place in a fictional future. Europe is on the brink of collapse with right wing neo nazis having taken over most of the continent while a plague called the grey plague ravages the continent. USA and China are on the brink of starting WW3 over an energy crisis. A mysterious terrorist group called Hakke seem to be behind it all. In a secret facility a medical experiment is found to actually be a weaponised god like AI called Maken. It's being developed by a group called the Blademasters who have been formed to combat Hakke. The Maken facility is attacked by the Hakke and during the attack a young girl Kay is absorbed by Maken so she can use it's power to repel the Hakke. What follows is a globe trotting adventure that gets more insane as it goes on.

Combat in the game works a little like Ocarina of time with its z-targeting. The Dreamcast only has one analogue stick so movement is a little less refined than modern first person titles. Locking on to an enemy lets you strafe around them. From there you can attack them but enemies but what you really want to be doing is exploiting openings in enemies attacks. Jumping to the side does a quick side jump while jumping towards an enemy will jump over them, which is very important as back attacks do increased critical damage. Holding back will block. Another feature of Maken X is Mindjacking. Most main characters or bosses can be mindjacked once defeated which transfers your consciousness into their body. Every character you mindjack has their own stats, movesets and special attacks. There's a huge amount of characters you can control and its impressive how much has gone into making each one feel unique. Combat isn't anything special but it works and the levels are short enough to not be too frustrating. The game maintains a rock solid 60 FPS.

It's a good looking Dreamcast game. It has the distinctive colourful chonky Dreamcast aesthetic. The driving electronic soundtrack from shoji meguro is great. With Kazuma Kaneko as the artistic director the game just oozes the same style and slickness that the Persona games have. In terms of the narrative it seems like its a game with a lot of lore and world building but unfortunately it never comes across in the final game. I did however like how the protagonist isn't Kay but the player acting as Maken with Kay's consciousness inside of them. The game has 7 endings, although most are a variation on a good and bad ending which both have unique content. Exploring the choices you make is fun and it's all grounded by the talks with Kay at key points and how you interact with her. There's some nice touches as well like how certain bosses will interact with you depending on what character you have mindjacked. The FPS viewport is great in this game with the character who you controls arms and gross mutations protruding into view making the mindjacking experience really unnerving.

Maken X is too clunky and simplistic to be a classic but it's still well worth playing as it's just so weird and interesting. I finished it with the true good and bad endings which took about 12 hours. I also played the undubbed version which replaces the awful english voice acting with the japanese voices. One thing to note is there is a good bit of censorship in the western release with all the nazi imagery having the swatika replaced by a chinese symbol although it's very obviously supposed to be a swastika. Also one of the bosses is quite clearly the pope who you fight in the Vatican (after opening a secret passage using a mafia character, nice touch) but has been changed and you now fight him in 'Italy'. The game got an enhanced port as Maken Shao on the PS2 which got a budget release in Europe. This adds way more story and cutscenes but they also changed the game play to a third person action game and it's just not as interesting as the original release as a result.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,863 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

2. Operation C|Gameboy
    3. The Outer Wilds|PC
    4. Kid Dracula|Gameboy
    6. Illusion of Gaia|SNES
    9. The Forgotten City|PC
    10. Bulk Slash|Saturn
    13. Pikmin 3|Switch
    14. Bayonetta 2|Switch
    17. GG Shinobi|Game Gear
    18. Elden Ring|PC
    20. Maken X|Dreamcast
    21. God of War Ascension|PS3
    22. Kirby's Dream Land 2|Gameboy

God of War Ascension

AKA the forgotten God of War. Despite the critical acclaim I really didn't like God of War 3 and felt it was a massive step backwards from the PS2 and PSP games. While it looked good the move to a deferred render engine coupled with a framerate that was capped at 30 FPS but mostly ran at 15-20 FPS with screen tearing lead to massive input latency that really made the game frustrating. The game really went down hill after the bombastic opening with the game never approaching that level of setpiece and having some pretty boring boss fights.

I wasn't expecting much from Ascension since its cut from the same cloth. It suffers from the same input latency issues of GoW3. The visuals are a lot more 'grimdark' and boring compared to GoW3 and the rest of the series. The game is a lot better paced than GoW3 with some exciting set pieces spread out throughout the game rather than the front loading of GoW3 and culminating in a visually impressive final boss. It this which I feel makes Ascension the better game.

There's a lot of really poor PS360 game design on display in the game. There's some really ropey scripted sequences that are pure trial and error. Also expect lots of uncharted style braindead climbing. The game also makes a few mistakes of its own when during gameplay sections the camera will zoom right out to show off the impressive scale and visuals while you are still fighting making it impossible to see what is going on. The game is a prequel to the series but the story is so inconsequential that it washed over me completely as it's a story that did not need to be told. Real forgettable stuff.

Ascension is a decent enough bit of popcorn fun and could probably benefit greatly from a remaster that fixes the framerate and latency issues.

Kirby's Dream Land 2

Kirby games are weird. They are either wildly inventive games that completely subvert platformer or game design. Or they can be very safe. This one is the later, except it's also kind of boring.

The original dream land game on the gameboy is a little gem of a game. It's very easy but there's some really inventive levels and it's just a blast to play. Kirby however wouldn't get his trademark 'copy' abilities until his second outing, Kirby's Adventure, on the NES. Dream Land 2 takes the copy abilities from Adventure and then also modifies them by adding 3 animal companions leading to a huge variety of abilities to use. This should lead to a much more complex game than the first Dream Land but it doesn't.

The big issue with Dream Land 2 is the level design. Levels just seem to be a few platforms with enemies placed at random. There's no real flow of structure to them. While the game is fun it's just not interesting. There are some positives. The boss battles are mostly great and inventive. Once you've finished the game you can hunt for a hidden rainbow drop on each world. Finding these can be quite tricky and requires careful juggling and utilisation of Kirby's copy and animal abilities. There should have been a lot more of this in the game as it highlights how much wasted potential there is. Collecting all the rainbow drops unlocks a true final boss and ending.

2. Operation C|Gameboy
    3. The Outer Wilds|PC
    4. Kid Dracula|Gameboy
    6. Illusion of Gaia|SNES
    9. The Forgotten City|PC
    10. Bulk Slash|Saturn
    13. Pikmin 3|Switch
    14. Bayonetta 2|Switch
    17. GG Shinobi|Game Gear
    18. Elden Ring|PC
    20. Maken X|Dreamcast
    23. Ace Combat 2|PS1

Ace Combat 2

The second Ace Combat game is a massive improvement over the first game. While the first game was impressive for launch window PS1 game Ace Combat 2 really showcases how Namco were one of the top tier PS1 developers. The presentation is slicker. The game looks much better no, the ground is now fully textured it and even features a cloud layer if you climb high enough. It all runs at what seems to be a rock solid 30 FPS. The controls are also much improved with the addition of analogue controls.

The game is a lot of fun with great variety in the missions compared to the first game. It's still not quite at the level of brilliance that the series would hit with later entries. The game introduces a lot of elements that would become series staples or be expanded upon in later entries. The music is excellent which is expected from Namco of the era.

The game is pretty light on story, the full blown anime airplane plot lines wouldn't start until the third game (and only in Japan as we got a butchered Ace Combat 3 here) but there are the seeds of it here with a slight narrative thread linking stages together. There's multiple paths and secret levels to discover by beating bonus objectives, including a secret ending and and stages.

Overall it's a sort fun blast that sets the stage for much better to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭da gamer

I really enjoyed it. Its mindless fun, shoot, move on, shoot again. It's one of those games thats easy to pick up and play for 10 minutes. Good soundtrack too. I still play alot of xbox 360/ps3 games, theres some real gems out there that alot of people miss out on.

Far cry 6 - PS4

Call of duty vanguard - PS4

Blood stone 007 - Xbox 360

Battlefield 2042 - PS4

Batman the enemy within - PS4

Control - PS4

Wet - Xbox 360

Batman arkham knight - PS4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Spider-Man Remastered | PlayStation 5

This was technically my second time playing through this (Platinum'd on PS4).

Was more than happy to play it from scratch again (I sold off my PS4 copy so I couldn't upload the save file and get all the trophies).

Again, I say it's the best Spidey game I've played since Spider-Man 2 on PS2. Couldn't get over how stunning it looked on PS5 and the ray tracing was well implemented, which is something I have barely noticed since getting the console until now.

I got the platinum again and I went on to the DLC after completing the main game (first time playing it). I didn't bother doing any side stuff for the DLC as I just wanted to see where the story went.

Playing Miles Morales now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

1. Immortals Fenyx Rising - PlayStation 5
    2. Persian Nights: Sands of Wonder - PS4 game on PlayStation 5
    3. Rad Rodgers - PS4 game on PlayStation 5 (PS Now)
    4. Shady Part of Me - PS4 game on PlayStation 5
    5. Mass Effect: Legendary Edition - PlayStation 5
    6. Mass Effect 2: Legendary Edition - PlayStation 5
    7. Mass Effect 3: Legendary Edition - PlayStation 5
    8. Mass Effect Andromeda - PS4 game on PlayStation 5
    9. Persian Nights 2: Midnight Veil - PlayStation 5
    10. Skyland: Heart of the Mountain - PlayStation 5
    11. Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragons Keep - PS4 game on PlayStation 5
    12. Desert Child - PS4 game on PlayStation 5 (PS Now)
    13. Ben 10 - PS4 game on PlayStation 5 (PS Now)
    14. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - PlayStation 5
    15. Battlefield 4 - PlayStation 5
    16. Sea of Solitude - PlayStation 4
    17. Fe - PlayStation 5
    18. Lego Indiana Jones 2: The Adventure Continues - PS3 on PS5 (PS Now)

Lego Indiana Jones 2: The Adventure Continues

I enjoy all the Lego games and this one was no different. It was one I missed from the PS3 days so. The trophy list is better on this one than later Lego games as the main levels don't have collectibles in them, just the hub worlds, so this make everything much easier and there's no need to use a guide. Enjoyable game.

1. The Outer Worlds [Xbox Series X]

2. Firewatch - [Xbox Series X]

3. The Artful Escape - [Xbox Series X]

4. Fallout 4 - [Xbox Series X]

5. Fallout 4 Far Harbor DLC- [Xbox Series X]

I've been quite busy lately, not much time for games unfortunately.

So, the last game I left a summary for was Fallout 4. I quite enjoyed the gameplay of FO4, I thought the world was fun to explore, the enemies were interesting and varied, the character build mechanics are great and allow for a variety of styles, I really think the leveling up and perk system is great here. Survival mode is really well implemented too.

But where it fell down for me was in quest design, story, and even the acting. Some of it just didn't click for me. It wasn't terrible, just not great. Plus the beginning of the game is atrocious, giving me a really bad first impression. But overall I thought it was a good game.

Then I got the DLC pack on the recommendation of a friend, and I went to a new location which is an island called Far Harbor. It's like the polar opposite of the base game. The stories are really good with interesting characters, the acting is great, the quests are well designed, various factions that you deal with, interesting choices with consequences, multiple ways to solve problems, everything just clicks together so well. Far Harbor is the game Fallout 4 could/should have been.

As I played it I kept wondering what on Earth happened during development to cause such a shift in quality. Why is Far Harbor so much better than the base game? Why does it feel so different? I didn't get it.

So I investigated and it turns out that a different person was lead quest designer for this DLC, a guy called Will Shen. Interestingly, this guy is now the lead quest designer on Starfield. So hopefully he can continue to produce great work on that.

I'd recommend Far Harbor if you played Fallout 4 and enjoyed the gameplay but thought the quests let the game down. Or if you're curious what type of quest design might be in Starfield.

Highly recommended if you liked the base game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

1. Master Chief Collection: Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary [Xbox]
    2. Master Chief Collection: Halo 2 Anniversary [Xbox]
    3. Master Chief Collection: Halo 3 [Xbox]
    4. Ori and the Blind Forest (Definitive Edition) [Xbox]
    5. Firewatch [Xbox]
    6. Master Chief Collection: Halo 3 ODST [Xbox]
    7. Control [Xbox]
    8. Master Chief Collection: Halo Reach [Xbox]
    9. Halo Infinite [Xbox]
    10. Contrast [Xbox]
    11. Gone Home [Xbox]
    12. Dear Esther [Xbox]
    13. Ori and the Will of the Wisps [Xbox]
    14. GTA V Enhanced Edition [Xbox Series X]

GTA V

Great game despite playing it tonnes of times. I will still go back from time to time to finish a few of the side missions and just explore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

#10 | Spider-Man: Miles Morales | PlayStation 5

Decent Spidey game that pretty much fits it's price tag. Short and sweet. I started it on Saturday and beat it last night. More of the same - I can't really pinpoint much of a difference from the original, save for a few combat mechanics added.

I think I'm all Spider-Man'd out at this point (though I am enjoying the 2017 cartoon lately)

• Advertisement

I've been wanting to go back to the Neversoft PS1 game. Always wanted to play it at the time and never got around to it. Hoping it hasn't aged poorly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

1. The Artful Escape (Xbox)
    2. Yakuza like a dragon (Xbox)
    3. The Gunk (Xbox)
    4. Psychonauts 2 (Xbox) 
    5. The Procession to Calvary (Xbox)
    6. Hitman 3 (Xbox)
    7. Fight Night Champion (Xbox 360)
    8. Ryse: Son of Rome (Xbox)
    9. Carrion (Xbox)
    10. Exo One (Xbox)
    11. A Plague Tale: Innocence (Xbox)
    12. Elden Ring (PS5)

13. Trek to Yomi (Xbox)

Really enjoyed the first half of this as I thought it was one of those rare action games like Sifu and Ghost of Tsushima that is somewhat based in reality. The second half I didn't enjoy at all as it goes bonkers and becomes annoying with throwing multiple enemies at you who can teleport and other nonsense. The difficulty gets ramped way up towards the end which is another annoying trope that is starting to get introduced in shorter games (Tunic). The last boss was Shao Kahn levels of cheesiness, a combo that can one hit kill you and other BS which I won't spoil, took at least 20 deaths to kill him.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

1. Immortals Fenyx Rising - PlayStation 5
    2. Persian Nights: Sands of Wonder - PS4 game on PlayStation 5
    3. Rad Rodgers - PS4 game on PlayStation 5 (PS Now)
    4. Shady Part of Me - PS4 game on PlayStation 5
    5. Mass Effect: Legendary Edition - PlayStation 5
    6. Mass Effect 2: Legendary Edition - PlayStation 5
    7. Mass Effect 3: Legendary Edition - PlayStation 5
    8. Mass Effect Andromeda - PS4 game on PlayStation 5
    9. Persian Nights 2: Midnight Veil - PlayStation 5
    10. Skyland: Heart of the Mountain - PlayStation 5
    11. Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragons Keep - PS4 game on PlayStation 5
    12. Desert Child - PS4 game on PlayStation 5 (PS Now)
    13. Ben 10 - PS4 game on PlayStation 5 (PS Now)
    14. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - PlayStation 5
    15. Battlefield 4 - PlayStation 5
    16. Sea of Solitude - PlayStation 4
    17. Fe - PlayStation 5
    18. Lego Indiana Jones 2: The Adventure Continues - PS3 on PS5 (PS Now)
    19. Shadow Warrior 3 - PS4 on PS5 (PS Now)

Shadow Warrior 3

I had never even heard of the Shadow Warrior series before this game was released on PS Now. As it's a timed exclusive I thought i'd give it a go now rather than miss out on it. It's an FPS game based around throwing huge amount of enemies at you in Arena Battles with platforming sections in between along with some very cringy 'comedy' dialogue. I was actually enjoying it a lot at the start, it was fun and a new enemy was introduced every now again to try and keep things fresh. Sadly though it just became extremely repetitive. It's just arena battle after arena battle in a very linear fashion. There's no puzzles to solve, the platforming although sometimes fun is also very easy and does not offer enough between the arena battles to keep the game fresh. I got the platinum trophy as it's extremely easy to get but this game badly needed something other than arena battles.

Far cry 6 - PS4

Battlefield 2042 - PS4

Control - PS4

Wet - Xbox 360

Wolfenstein 2 the new colossus - PS4

2. Operation C|Gameboy
    3. The Outer Wilds|PC
    4. Kid Dracula|Gameboy
    6. Illusion of Gaia|SNES
    9. The Forgotten City|PC
    10. Bulk Slash|Saturn
    13. Pikmin 3|Switch
    14. Bayonetta 2|Switch
    17. GG Shinobi|Game Gear
    18. Elden Ring|PC
    20. Maken X|Dreamcast
    23. Ace Combat 2|PS1
    24. Quake: Dissolution of Eternity|PC

Quake: Dissolution of Eternity

The second Quake mission pack and like the first I'm not wild about it. While the first mission pack added very little to the base game and focused on pushing the quake engine as far as possible (with lots of cracks showing) this mission pack adds lots of new enemies and weapons while playing more like traditional quake in terms of encounters and level design.

This expansion feels the most like a fan made mission pack than the first. While the level design is very good it never matches the masters at ID and their excellent levels in the original game. The new enemies are interesting, less so are the new weapons. They are just iterations on the weapons already present and are just alternate fire modes of them. You get more powerful nail gun ammo, a cluster grenade, a multi rocket launcher and a single shot version of the lightning gun that is as useful as ball bag flavoured doritos. Other than the lightning gun 'upgrade' they new weapons are a bit boring and overpowered.

It's worth a play and doesn't resort to as many nasty tricks as the first mission pack and has a laughable final boss. It's a step up in challenge compared to the base game.

1. The Outer Worlds [Xbox Series X]

2. Firewatch - [Xbox Series X]

3. The Artful Escape - [Xbox Series X]

4. Fallout 4 - [Xbox Series X]

5. Fallout 4 Far Harbor DLC- [Xbox Series X]

6. What Remains of Edith Finch [Xbox Series X]

Ok, that was probably the best interactive experience movie game things I've played.

Some of the design was just perfect.

2. Operation C|Gameboy
    3. The Outer Wilds|PC
    4. Kid Dracula|Gameboy
    6. Illusion of Gaia|SNES
    9. The Forgotten City|PC
    10. Bulk Slash|Saturn
    13. Pikmin 3|Switch
    14. Bayonetta 2|Switch
    17. GG Shinobi|Game Gear
    18. Elden Ring|PC
    20. Maken X|Dreamcast
    23. Ace Combat 2|PS1
    25. Final Fantasy Legend|Gameboy

Final Fantasy Legend

Released in 1989 as the first RPG for the handheld Gameboy, FF Legend is a remarkable game. It's amazing how much Squaresoft managed to adapt a RPG for a handheld experience.

One thing to note is that despite the Final Fantasy name, this is technically not a final fantasy game. The game is known as Makai Toushi SaGa in Japan and is the first game in the SaGa series which is still going strong today despite being a bit odd and niche. It's probably because the games director, Akitoshi Kawazu, it's pretty high up the Square Enix CEO totem pole and the series has always been his baby. Despite being a brand new series divorced from Final Fantasy there is a FF connection. The game is loosely based on Kawazu's work on directing the much maligned Final Fantasy 2. That game has a notoriously annoying levelling up system were you would gain stats at random based on your actions in combat and even level down stats. FF Legend takes the foundations of FF2 and refines them into a much better experience.

The Saga series differs from the usual JRPGs in how it's mostly focused on mechanics. Apparently they are inspired by tabletop games and as a result there's a lot of randomisation. You start the game by gathering a team of 4 characters that can have one of 3 very different classes:

Esper: The esper will level up stats randomly as you fight and will be your main magic user. However the esper will learn and forget spells at random.

Humans: You might think humans are the simplest class but far from it. Humans don't level up as you fight. Instead you have to buy permanent stat upgrade items for agility, strength and HP. They start off weak but have the potential to be the strongest characters in the game and can take advantage of the full range of the games armour and weapons.

Mutants: Mutants are the most interesting class but also the hardest to use. Enemy monsters will randomly drop meat when they are defeated and when consumed by a mutant they will mutant into another monster form. While there are rules to the mutations they are very complicated and therefore random for all intents and purposes. While this sounds annoying, mutating is a good way to refresh spells and HP mid dungeon.

Another mechanic that this game has that I know everyone on this site loves is weapon degradation, weapons only have a certain number of uses.

This combination of random mecahnics and weapon degradation might seem like a recipe for annoyance but I found it fun as it kept me constantly on my toes and it was fun to adjust my strategy around it.

The setting of FF Legend is another area where the game differs from traditional RPGs. The game has you band of heroes climb at tower to confront the 'Creator' and along the way there are side worlds to explore. Some of these are just there for comedy or for short side stories but some are mini contained RPG quests. And While the game starts out somewhat swords and sorcery later worlds are set in the sky or a dystopian modern landscape. There's also an unexpectedly diverse range of weapons, from swords, maces and whips, to chainsaws, SMG's handguns and even a nuke.

Squaresoft could have easily tested the water and created a simple dragon quest clone to test the water on the new gameboy hardware but they managed to craft a unique RPG experience different from anything else available at the time but also one designed around the handheld experience. It's a relatively breezy RPG a 12 hours long but has a nice balance of difficulty. Also the game lets you save anywhere, a must for a handheld RPG.

The game has a few issues. There's two obtuse puzzles early on that I kind of had to look up the answer to and the localisation is a bit weak due to the lack of memory for english text although while the setting is interesting I doubt this was a narrative masterpiece in Japanese. There's two other FF Legends games on the Gameboy before SaGa was spun out into it's own larger series and I'm looking forward to finding out just how good this series got on Gameboy.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭TinCanMan

Mad Max [PS5] - This is a truly excellent and underrated game. It's open world with batman like melee combat although much more impactful and brutal. Try not to grind too much. I did initially and started to get bored but once I stuck to the main missions and side quests I really started to enjoy it again.

Uncharted The Lost Legacy [PS5] - Went in to this game with little to no expectations and boy was I surprised. It was a blast. Your typical uncharted fare but condensed into a shorter game. The main characters work well together and the graphics are simply eye candy. If you are a fan of the Uncharted series and were mulling over getting this then take my advice and go for it. It's an excellent game.

Assassins Creed II [PS5] - This is a 13 year old game now and it shows its age graphically and with clunky controls which can be infuriating at times. But that aside this is a brilliant game with a great storyline and memorable characters. I enjoyed this so much and I would thoroughly recommend this to anyone. 

Assassins Creed Freedom Cry [PS5] - A short spinoff from Black Flag(which I haven't played) about slavery and piracy. A very enjoyable game with beautiful graphics and some very poignant moments. I'd recommend it if you're into assassins creed.

Assassins Creed Brotherhood [PS5] - The second game of the Ezio trilogy and another excellent game, this time set mostly in Rome. Graphically improved from AC II and with some cool features such as training your own assassins amongst others. Highly recommended on my part.

The Wolf Among Us [PS5] - If you've played a tell tale game before then you know what to expect. This is definitely one of their best. Featuring well known fairytale characters with a twist. Murder, violence and an intriguing storyline are the order of the day here. I truly cannot recommend this enough. It keeps your attention until the last seconds.

5. Firewatch [Xbox]
    7. Control [Xbox]
    9. Halo Infinite [Xbox]
    10. Contrast [Xbox]
    11. Gone Home [Xbox]
    12. Dear Esther [Xbox]
    15. Bugsnax [Xbox]

Bugsnax

This was actually quite a fun game. I seen it on gamepass and said I would give it a go and I'm glad I did. I'm not sure it is for everyone though. I collected all 100 bugsnax in the end and done all side missions. There are extra mission's to do up your hut. I done loads already but still not fully finished I'm not sure I will do any more of them though as there is loads. There is one DLC for this and I will play that next it is included in main game once you finish the main story.

2. Operation C|Gameboy
    3. The Outer Wilds|PC
    4. Kid Dracula|Gameboy
    6. Illusion of Gaia|SNES
    9. The Forgotten City|PC
    10. Bulk Slash|Saturn
    13. Pikmin 3|Switch
    14. Bayonetta 2|Switch
    17. GG Shinobi|Game Gear
    18. Elden Ring|PC
    20. Maken X|Dreamcast
    23. Ace Combat 2|PS1
    26. For the Frog the Bell Tolls|Gameboy

For the Frog the Bell Tolls

For the Frog the Bell Tolls (FFBT) is a pretty obscure Nintendo developed game that is more well known for Link's Awakening being built off of its game engine. It's a pity because the game is a really great unique mix of action and adventure gaming which hasn't been replicated as far as I know. It remains a unique experience.

Much like Link's Awakening, FFBT takes place in an overhead overworld with various side scrolling dungeons and interludes. The overworld is quite small but packed with personality and detail and plenty of settlements and quirky characters to visit. In the side scrolling sections you have your standard platforming abilities. It's the combat which is very different. You don't attack directly but instead initiate combat by touching an enemy. You then exchange blows until one party runs out of health.

This might sound overly simplistic but the game is more a puzzle adventure game and is designed cleverly around this. You have to ration health to get through dungeons or collect abilities and stat buffs to get past powerful enemies that had previously road blocked progress. While the game is a bit easy as a result it's not really an action game and more a puzzle platformer. Unfortunately the game tries to compensate for it's ease and short length with some pretty harsh checkpointing which will kick you out of the dungeon entirely and forcing you to repeat puzzles that will become tedious.

The story of the game revolves around two rival princesses going to a besieged kingdom to rescue and win the heart of the princess tiramisu. However things go pear shaped when the princes and their retinue are turned into frogs. The prince can change between forms. Eating fruit changes you to human, touching water to a frog and later you can change to a snake. All forms have their strengths and weaknesses, for instance the frog is useless in a fight but can insta-kill bugs and gain health from them, and the form changing becomes an integral part of the puzzles.

The game looks gorgeous for a Gameboy game and ones of the better looking games of 1992. The story and script are very amusing with great writing, although I'm not sure if this was in the original game or the fan translation.

Overall, For the Frog the Bell Tolls is a game that was criminally overlooked by Nintendo for localisation and should have been a celebrated minor classic in the west. It provides a unique gameplay experience like no other and is another game that makes people that say nintendo rest on their laurels all the time sound like idiots. Instead it's a footnote to Nintendo's Gameboy output here that has people scratching their heads when a reference appears in Smash Bros. Shame, as it's a great little adventure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

1. The Artful Escape (Xbox)
    2. Yakuza like a dragon (Xbox)
    3. The Gunk (Xbox)
    4. Psychonauts 2 (Xbox) 
    5. The Procession to Calvary (Xbox)
    6. Hitman 3 (Xbox)
    7. Fight Night Champion (Xbox 360)
    8. Ryse: Son of Rome (Xbox)
    9. Carrion (Xbox)
    10. Exo One (Xbox)
    11. A Plague Tale: Innocence (Xbox)
    12. Elden Ring (PS5)

13. Trek to Yomi (Xbox)

14. Guardians of the Galaxy (Xbox)

Really enjoyed this. Story and voice acting are great. Combat isn't that good though

5. Firewatch [Xbox]
    7. Control [Xbox]
    9. Halo Infinite [Xbox]
    10. Contrast [Xbox]
    11. Gone Home [Xbox]
    12. Dear Esther [Xbox]
    15. Bugsnax [Xbox]
    16. Bugsnax {DLC} Broken Tooth Island [Xbox]

Broken Tooth Island

Good DLC they changed a lot from the main game there was more puzzles and Bugsnax were larger. There is also a easter egg in the main game that you get a key to enter on this island. I remember climbing a wall in main game and getting an error you cannot enter this area well turns out it was a easter egg area.

5. Firewatch [Xbox]
    7. Control [Xbox]
    9. Halo Infinite [Xbox]
    10. Contrast [Xbox]
    11. Gone Home [Xbox]
    12. Dear Esther [Xbox]
    15. Bugsnax [Xbox]
    16. Bugsnax {DLC} Broken Tooth Island [Xbox]
    17. What Remains of Edith Finch [Xbox]

What Remains of Edith Finch

Short but interesting game. I enjoyed my playthrough. I love the house.

5. Firewatch [Xbox]
    7. Control [Xbox]
    9. Halo Infinite [Xbox]
    10. Contrast [Xbox]
    11. Gone Home [Xbox]
    12. Dear Esther [Xbox]
    15. Bugsnax [Xbox]
    18. Lost Words: Beyond the Page [Xbox]

Lost Words: Beyond the Page

Good short game I am near 100000 Xbox GS so looked up easy gamerscore point games on game pass. It is actually a good game and I loved the woman's voice which is strange for me since I despise the English accent. It wasn't a strong English accent which probably helped.

Far cry 6 - PS4

Battlefield 2042 - PS4

Control - PS4

Wet - Xbox 360

Wolfenstein 2 the new colossus - PS4

Yakuza Kiwami - PS4

5. Firewatch [Xbox]
    7. Control [Xbox]
    9. Halo Infinite [Xbox]
    10. Contrast [Xbox]
    11. Gone Home [Xbox]
    12. Dear Esther [Xbox]
    15. Bugsnax [Xbox]
    18. Lost Words: Beyond the Page [Xbox]
    19. The Pedestrian [Xbox]

The Pedestrian

What a game, I loved every minute of it. Really makes you think outside the box especially near the end. Short game too.

2. Operation C|Gameboy
    3. The Outer Wilds|PC
    4. Kid Dracula|Gameboy
    6. Illusion of Gaia|SNES
    9. The Forgotten City|PC
    10. Bulk Slash|Saturn
    13. Pikmin 3|Switch
    14. Bayonetta 2|Switch
    17. GG Shinobi|Game Gear
    18. Elden Ring|PC
    20. Maken X|Dreamcast
    23. Ace Combat 2|PS1
    27. Trails in the Sky: the 3rd|PC

Trails in the Sky: the 3rd

Since the Trails in the Sky arc was wrapped up nicely in the second game I wasn't expecting much from this 'epilogue' but ended up being very pleasantly surprised.

The Third takes place after the events of Second Chapter. The protagonist has shifted to Kevin Graham, a mysterious priest who was more a background character when he appeared in SC. He is joined by Ries, another member of a church who Kevin has a past with. While on a mission they come across a strange artifact and end up being taken away to a strange world that seems to be within the artifact. As you progress through the game you will explore corrupted versions of familiar places. You also aren't the only two people dragged into this world, there's 16 other characters from the series dragged into the events that you'll have to find.

I was expecting this to be a game about reusing past assets and getting a third game out of all the engine and artwork they created and in a way it kind of is. What I didn't expect was just how good the game is. The trails series is heavily focused on narrative and world building but this entry is much more focused on combat. Being the third game in a serialised story arc it expects players to be familiar with the battle system and doubles down on making difficult but fun fights and dungeons. I just had a heap of fun with the battle system in this one and really enjoyed the subtle additions to it.

And while the game is combat heavy they didn't skimp on storytelling either. Dotted around the game world are three types of doors that can be opened once you meet certain conditions (mostly having the right party member). One type of door will give the player a long story segment (about 45 minutes), another will give short story segments (5-15 minutes) while the last opens up fun minigames. The story segments expand on the world lore and fill in on details on what characters have been up to after the events of SC. They're all well written and interesting. One in particular delves into some very dark material involving child abuse, I really wasn't expecting it to go to where it did. There's also some details setting up the next 'Crossbell' story arc.

I really did not expect to like this entry as much as I did. In fact I think it's my favourite of the Trails in the Sky series. The first two games since they are heavy on narrative suffer pacing issues and dungeon design is lacking compared to the excellent dungeons in this game. It's just a better paced game with barely any down time. The new protagonists Kevin and Ries are excellent and the resolution to their story arc is a very satisfying one.

Trails in the Sky: the 3rd is one of the best RPGs I've ever played and a nice send off to the Trails in the Sky arc. I'm hoping that Falcom took some lessons from this game and implemented them into the Crossbell games. I'm looking forward to September when the first Crossbell game gets its long overdue english release.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Finally finished up Guardians of the Galaxy tonight - I got through most of it a few months ago, but got distracted by Elden Ring et al. Just had the last two hours or so to play through.

It's a game that has a lot to recommend so disappointed to report finishing it was a chore. The story's fun, the characters are enjoyable, and at it's best it's a good example of the mid-tier linear single player adventure that's relatively rare on the ground these days. There's one big problem: combat. My god it's tedious, and there's a LOT of it. Just two-hour long stretches where you have little to do but fight waves and waves of bullet spongey enemies. Even with the team abilities and multiple elemental powers, it just doesn't feel good or satisfying. There's only a handful of enemy types, and it's all too busy. It would perhaps be alleviated if there was a bit more variety to proceedings, but several levels are set exclusively along repetitive spaceship corridors and other uninspiring settings. Even the planetary stuff is just moving from combat arena to combat arena with extremely low-effort puzzles in between them.

There is some imagination on display here, like how the characters begin to predict your commands or do menial tasks on their own as your team bonds. And it looks and sounds good, as AAA games almost always do. But it's a game that made me long for the days when these kind of games were 5-6 hours long rather than the 20 hour-long slog this turns into. A bloated game that would've been so, so much better if it was around half or a third as long as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭TinCanMan

Mad Max [PS5] - This is a truly excellent and underrated game. It's open world with batman like melee combat although much more impactful and brutal. Try not to grind too much. I did initially and started to get bored but once I stuck to the main missions and side quests I really started to enjoy it again.

Uncharted The Lost Legacy [PS5] - Went in to this game with little to no expectations and boy was I surprised. It was a blast. Your typical uncharted fare but condensed into a shorter game. The main characters work well together and the graphics are simply eye candy. If you are a fan of the Uncharted series and were mulling over getting this then take my advice and go for it. It's an excellent game.

Assassins Creed II [PS5] - This is a 13 year old game now and it shows its age graphically and with clunky controls which can be infuriating at times. But that aside this is a brilliant game with a great storyline and memorable characters. I enjoyed this so much and I would thoroughly recommend this to anyone. 

Assassins Creed Freedom Cry [PS5] - A short spin-off from Black Flag(which I haven't played) about slavery and piracy. A very enjoyable game with beautiful graphics and some very poignant moments. I'd recommend it if you're into assassins creed.

Assassins Creed Brotherhood [PS5] - The second game of the Ezio trilogy and another excellent game, this time set mostly in Rome. Graphically improved from AC II and with some cool features such as training your own assassins amongst others. Highly recommended on my part.

The Wolf Among Us [PS5] - If you've played a tell tale game before then you know what to expect. This is definitely one of their best. Featuring well known fairytale characters with a twist. Murder, violence and an intruiging storyline are the order of the day here. I truly cannot recommend this enough. It keeps your attention until the last seconds.

Yakuza 0 [PS5] - More people need to try this franchise. It's an absolute blast. I love the storyline with Japanese gangsters and side quests that range from the utter bizarre to the downright hilarious. Do yourself a favour and give this series a try.

• Advertisement

2. Operation C|Gameboy
    3. The Outer Wilds|PC
    4. Kid Dracula|Gameboy
    6. Illusion of Gaia|SNES
    9. The Forgotten City|PC
    10. Bulk Slash|Saturn
    13. Pikmin 3|Switch
    14. Bayonetta 2|Switch
    17. GG Shinobi|Game Gear
    18. Elden Ring|PC
    20. Maken X|Dreamcast
    23. Ace Combat 2|PS1
    27. Trails in the Sky: the 3rd|PC
    28. Call of Duty: Ghosts|PC

Call of Duty: Ghosts

Call of Duty: Ghosts is the skrungiest of skrungy piss filter PS360 games. It's the same old smooth Call of Duty gameplay but this time in a story and setting that you will find hard to care about as your eyes slowly glaze over and you start to wonder do you actually get any enjoyment from videogames anymore. Why did I play it? Because it was sitting on my steam list half finished and I wanted to play a dumb shooter. This isn't a dumb shooter though. Dumb would indicate that there is some intelligence.

Basically poor america is under threat from an alliance of third world south american countries and you are meant to feel sorry for them and not think that it's just pay back for keeping that part of the world in poverty and despotism for years. But poor old america has one ace up its sleave, a team of special forces that are even more special than special called Ghosts. Remember Ghost from Modern Warfare 2? How cool he was? Well there's a family of them now. A literal family as they consist of a father and his two sons. However one of the Ghosts, Rorke, is a little bitch about being left behind on a mission and is now a bad guy because.... brainwashing or something.

This team of Ghosts are also the most important people on planet earth as they are instrumental in every major conflict of two warring continents. Also Rorke happens to be another most important person on the south american side because it seems taking out one man will end the whole war or something. So the game is a series of missions looking for Rorke, getting double crossed or set up by Rorke, capturing Rorke and letting him escape because the Ghosts never watched the Dark Knight Rises and then blowing stuff up because they needed a few more missions. The game also has an underwater section with sharks and amazing fish physics that were also in Ocarina of Time but apparently needed the power of a PS4 to get working in it's modded Quake 3 arena engine.

There's nothing wrong with a good Call of Duty campaign. They can be good fun when the set pieces work and the 60 FPS gunplay feels solid even if the AI is dumb and there's very little enemy variety. Black Ops doubles down on the crazy and is a lot of fun. This one though like the boring Modern Warfare 2 campaign (don't lie to yourself, it's true) takes itself way too seriously and tries to make us care about characters by placing a ridiculous amount of importance on them. Call of Duty when it started was about you playing a tiny Cog in the Wheels of war getting in over your head and it just doesn't work when they try to add characters.

Anyway the game sucked. It was like eating a bag of Doritos, you think you enjoyed it at the time but then you realise it was on the MSG and you are now fatter but also unfulfilled because it didn't even taste great and they are **** excuses for tortilla chips. It's the Legend of Dragoon of FPS games. There's games that are worse made. There's games that aim for the sky but fall well short of their lofty ambitions and end up broken unfinished messes. Then there's games like Ghosts which are vapid, designed by committee thrash that have no artistic merit at all and are just a commercial product and that's far worse. A game can be bad but it can also be interesting if it has soul. Ghosts has as much soul as a corporate marketing manager.

Its going to take a very bad game to top this one on my worst of the year contender. To make matters worse the game ends on a cliffhanger that will never be resolved because everyone hated this game and nobody gives two **** about the Ghost family. Except the dog.

Advertisement