Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rose Of Tralee now accepting trans applicants (Threadbanned List in OP)

Options

Comments

Gender fluid is the greatest pile of crap I’ve ever heard of in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Quintessence Model

My gender is fluid but I currently identify as a women and will for the remainder of this competition. Ok contestant, welcome to the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭bmc58

We are living in strange times.Where will it end?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Even more than the bullshit and crap some people spout on here?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

• Advertisement

But they identify as a women at the time, so can enter the competition.

But they can identify as a women at some point in time and man at another point of time, or neither at another point of time.

"Gender fluidity refers to change over time in a person’s gender expression or gender identity, or both. That change might be in expression, but not identity, or in identity, but not expression. Or both expression and identity might change together."

'I am genderfluid currently identifying as a women.'

'Ok, welcome to the competition'.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

what if they only identify as genderfluid some of the time?

• Advertisement

So nothing. I am saying they can enter and that's fine.

We have men who identify as women, women, trans-women, and gender-fluid people who currently identify as a women who can enter the competition.

And yet it appears you are arguing about something.....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

As the bar for entry is simply a self declaration why discriminate? Why not open the competition to all genders and none? Surely that would be fairer to all?

Your argument is like saying that a bisexual person is heterosexual if in a relationship with someone of the opposite gender and homosexual if in one with someone of the same.

They are not gay sometimes, straight other times. They are always bisexual.

Gender fluid people are gender fluid all the time. That is how they identify. Hence "fluid."

If asked "do you identify as a woman full stop" the answer is no and/or sometimes. The answer is not "yes".

If, for the sake of your increasingly desperate clutching at fluid straws this hypothetical gender fluid but currently identified as a woman biologically male is accepted as a contestant in The Rose of Tralee but before the final start to identify as a man they would be disqualified as only people who identify as women may compete.

But, says you still clinging to that slippery last straw, what if they don't identify as a man until after the contest has finished?

Well, they aren't a contestant in the RoT at that point in their lives are they.

Rather like if a cis female contestant realises 5 years after they participated that they have gender dsyphoria and begins to transition to male.

It would have nothing to do with their previous participation Rose of Tralee contest.

Hello bisexual person- do you mind if I ask if you are only bisexual some of the time?

Lord, you people really really really need to get new stupid questions if you want to shake off the charge of spouting repackaged homophobia/biphobia.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Your argument is like saying that a bisexual person is heterosexual if in a relationship with someone of the opposite gender and homosexual if in one with someone of the same.
    They are not gay sometimes, straight other times. They are always bisexual.

But they could identify as being straight when in a relationship with a person of the opposite sex and homosexual when in a relationship with someone of the same sex, no?

Gender fluid people are gender fluid all the time. That is how they identify. Hence "fluid."
    If asked "do you identify as a woman full stop" the answer is no and/or sometimes. The answer is not "yes".

'Ok, then. Do you identify as a women full stop?

'Sometimes'

'What about now?'

'Yes'

'Welcome to the competition.'

If, for the sake of your increasingly desperate clutching at fluid straws this hypothetical gender fluid but currently identified as a woman biologically male is accepted as a contestant in The Rose of Tralee but before the final start to identify as a man they would be disqualified as only people who identify as women may compete.

Only if they decided to tell someone how they now identified. If they don't, no-one will know bar them.

Do you have any idea how offensively biphobic you are being or do you just not care?

And once again we are back to fraudulently taking part.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,306 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Sorry I didn't get to this earlier and forgive me Mod but I'm going to respond to this one if it's a bit off topic, some of it anyway.

Of course Jack it did not go over my head as you seem to think it has that you seem to think I'm being either so hypocritical or blind not to see what you meant the first time in relation my gay self making comments about 'disorders'.

But the reason I don't accept this is that I'm perfectly open to homosexuality specifically being a disorder or 'condition'. Because I don't think all disorders are necessarily inherently bad. It all depends. So a serial killer who kills for the thrill of it certainly has some kind of disorder which is bad for society and homosexuality is clearly not in the same league as that or anything close. 

I've always only argued that even if homosexuality is a 'condition' it doesn't have negative consequences to anyone else, therefore nothing warrants being 'done' about it. I know some people will but they lost the argument. I personally never made the 'born this way' argument, I'm quite happy to think that during my formative sexual awakening years the idea struck me when I was young, and it stuck. Yes I am actually saying perhaps I found it 'kinky' and that basically explains it. And I wouldn't be offended if a third party made such a suggestion - as long as they don't use it as an excuse to force me into conversion therapy or whatever other ideas they might have. So, I am not suffering the cognitive dissonance you seem to think I'm suffering from. You could be right about everything else but you're not right about that.

And in even holding my view that some find objectionable to 'say' it is not incompatible with a view either that being gay is 'all part of the colourfulness and diversity of life that has always existed in the beginning of time'. I can think about it in that way as well concurrently. 

That some homophobe might say well that homo AllForIt said he has a disorder therefore since he thinks he's a disordered person therefore I'm right all along; I would say no, he's extrapolating what I said into something else to justify his phobic intentions. I would argue with him that my homosexuality has no more bearing on him than a person born with Down Syndrome does, so said phobe has no right to be phobic based on my opinions which don't justify his intentions. I think the gay rights argument was won on my argument rather than the 'we were born this way' one. I don't get outraged by the 'condition' view, which I've read on the A&A forum once, because even if it is, it's an utterly trivial one afaic, so I'm not offended.

Now I can see the counter argument to that already, why don't you just apply that same logic to gender-ID. Well I do but all these threads are essentially about how gender-id affects other people (in ways homosexuality doesn't). I know they will hardly ever effect me personally and they'll hardly affect you either but here we both are.

Now as for my latest comments @km991148 did make the good point earlier that this place is not necessarily the best place to discuss these things. Because people are just going to be overly sensitive and say "YOU CAN'T SAY THAT". Because after all we live in a society where there are things you can't say for fear of offence when sometimes one is just speaking there mind without any insult intended, like I have been. And anyway, I think my comments stung because some are afraid there is truth in what I said.

Now I recall as it's relevant, this old documentary on bbc iplayer recently about a transwoman where she was to undergo some years of psychological evaluation on the NHS before she got the transitional surgery she wanted. Surely you wouldn't expect the psychologists treating here to just say 'Oh of course you can have your surgery Julia, as people like you have been recognized in society since time immemorial, celebrated in cultures around the world, so pop in tomorrow and we'll being; as if there's no psychological dimension to anything and the clinician can't discuss things in a matter of fact professional way because if they do wider society might say 'ah ha! disorder disorder', string em up. The clinical psychologist are hardly responsible for what bad arguments other people make and can hardly be shut down in case it gives other people an excuse to come to phobic conclusions and intentions.

• Advertisement

On the contrary. It appears the "but but what about gender fluid biologically male" spouters have absolutely no idea what gender fluid means.

Biphobic? By what, saying someone can identify as straight when going out with someone of the opposite sex or identify as gay when going out with someone of the same sex if they so choose. What is biphobic about that?

Remember, it's you who believes that when someone identifies as something then they become that something, not me.

You seriously need to stop.

Bisexual people are Bisexual all the time regardless of the gender of their partner.

They do not "switch" between heterosexual and homosexual.

If you genuinely want to know why suggesting they do is offensive go ask in the LGBT Forum for people's opinions.

Bisexual people who identify as women may participate in the Rose of Tralee.

Seriously. Homosexuality is a disorder?!?

What has any of this got to do with the Rose of Tralee?

I am not suggesting anything other than a bisexual person is perfectly entitled to say they are straight when they go out with someone who is of the opposite sex to them and gay when going out with someone of the same sex as them. Are you saying this is not allowed? And if not, why not?

They can identify as Bi all the time if they want aswell. DOesn't bother me.

Edit: I mean let me make it more simple; if a person who likes to have sex with both sexes (what we'd usually deem bisexual) wants to identify as gay, you think this is biphobic?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Last line ^. For the RoT - only if they are of Irish descent. Though I suspect that is also a criteria which could face some possible future propitiation

It will be interesting to see whether the many trans beauty competitions will now start allowing non trans people to compete.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,306 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Well it has as much to do with anything as your hyperbolic claims about trans murders.

According to this fact check, the average adult in England and Wales has a one-in-100,000 chance of being murdered in a given year whereas the average trans person has a one-in-200,000 to one-in-500,000 chance of being murdered in the UK over the course of a year (it is now almost certainly nearer the top end due to the murder rate dropping below one per year since then). It concludes that a trans person is less likely to be murdered than the average person. In fact, a trans person is less likely to be murdered than just about any other accepted category or identity.

HI, can you answer me this please:

'I mean let me make it more simple; if a person who likes to have sex with both sexes (what we'd usually deem bisexual) wants to identify as gay, you think this is biphobic?'

Genuinely curious as to why you think that is biphobic.

• Advertisement

Are you Anthony O'Gara? If so, can you update the entry rules page? If not, can you stop making pronouncements as if you are?

Advertisement