Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Yearly cost of running a car for a newbie

• 04-01-2022 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

I'm 40 and never ever wanted to drive a car but, as it happens, life forced me. So I am thinking of doing DL but really, how much would it cost me a year to run a car, including insurance, taxes, repairs, petrol/diesel (mainly driving around town) etc... Roughly...?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

€6k car that lasts you 3 years - say €2k

years tax €300

years insurance €2500

€20 of petrol every week €1000

servicing, tyres and repairs €600

so roughly €6500

these are obvs just beermat figures, you’ll need to do driving lessons, pay for licence etc too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,241 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

There are a lot of variables & experiences will be varied

Insurance for a new driver could be steep starting off, you’ll have to investigate that yourself & will depend on the car model, engine size & other factors

I only do about 10,000km a year, mainly tipping around town as needed & to / from work.

€25 will easily cover my fuel weekly

Annual tax is less than €300, 1.4 petrol

Repairs, less than €100 in total since 2015

Annual service less than €200

Tyres every few years €300 - €400

NCT €55

Now, I’m blessed really with a reliable motor & I do low mileage

• Registered Users Posts: 30 wowey

You obviously have a good (expensive?) car since you can keep repairs at such a low cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,241 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

I bought a one year old 141 Honda Civic with 700km on the clock in 2015 for from memory €18000 / €19000, I plan to drive it for at least another 4 / 5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

Little Automatic low kms Toyota Yaris is the way to go, cheap reliable motoring.... Have one here for sale, drop me a message if you want to know more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭MTU

Just dropped 2k on a bmw with new chains kit and clutch kit, full service.

Will see out my ownership 2013 320d.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Approx 2k in depreciation

Same Colm's first reply for the OP.

Unless you go bangernomics and are good at you'll have a very minimum of 2k depreciation.

2k insurance for new driver.

Tax and NCT. Say €300

Then the rest depend on mileage.

My wife does 5000km a year nowadays.

Talking 200 for service (if it gets it, some years I just do oil and filter) and 500 for juice.

5000. The insurance is a killer .....

Advertisement