Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello All, This is just a friendly reminder to read the Forum Charter where you wish to post before posting in it. :)

Yearly cost of running a car for a newbie

• 04-01-2022 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25 wowey

I'm 40 and never ever wanted to drive a car but, as it happens, life forced me. So I am thinking of doing DL but really, how much would it cost me a year to run a car, including insurance, taxes, repairs, petrol/diesel (mainly driving around town) etc... Roughly...?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72,863 ✭✭✭✭ colm_mcm

€6k car that lasts you 3 years - say €2k

years tax €300

years insurance €2500

€20 of petrol every week €1000

servicing, tyres and repairs €600

so roughly €6500

these are obvs just beermat figures, you’ll need to do driving lessons, pay for licence etc too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭ naughtysmurf

There are a lot of variables & experiences will be varied

Insurance for a new driver could be steep starting off, you’ll have to investigate that yourself & will depend on the car model, engine size & other factors

I only do about 10,000km a year, mainly tipping around town as needed & to / from work.

€25 will easily cover my fuel weekly

Annual tax is less than €300, 1.4 petrol

Repairs, less than €100 in total since 2015

Annual service less than €200

Tyres every few years €300 - €400

NCT €55

Now, I’m blessed really with a reliable motor & I do low mileage

• Registered Users Posts: 25 wowey

You obviously have a good (expensive?) car since you can keep repairs at such a low cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭ naughtysmurf

I bought a one year old 141 Honda Civic with 700km on the clock in 2015 for from memory €18000 / €19000, I plan to drive it for at least another 4 / 5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭ Oops!

Little Automatic low kms Toyota Yaris is the way to go, cheap reliable motoring.... Have one here for sale, drop me a message if you want to know more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭ MTU

Just dropped 2k on a bmw with new chains kit and clutch kit, full service.

Will see out my ownership 2013 320d.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭ Wildly Boaring

Approx 2k in depreciation

Same Colm's first reply for the OP.

Unless you go bangernomics and are good at you'll have a very minimum of 2k depreciation.

2k insurance for new driver.

Tax and NCT. Say €300

Then the rest depend on mileage.

My wife does 5000km a year nowadays.

Talking 200 for service (if it gets it, some years I just do oil and filter) and 500 for juice.

5000. The insurance is a killer .....

Advertisement