Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Car plans 2022

• 01-01-2022 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭

Following on from last years thread https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058145774/2021-car-plans

What are peoples plans for their cars for 2022; Keep your current car or change it ? Any maintenance or mods planned ?

I currently have an 18 reg A4 its low mileage 66k Km on it at the minute. Doing a lot of mileage these days so my plans are really only to keep it and do normal maintenance servicing, tyres and DSG service will likely need brake pads at some point during the year also. Maybe 2022 will actually be the year I don't change my car 🙈

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭tommybrees

Bought 201 petrol golf last year on HP. Worst thing I ever done. Costs nearly €90 to fill and does about 700km a tank.

Would love to go back to diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Getting rid of the 141 A6 for a 05 Corolla van,herself has a 171 IS300H so that's used for the long trips. Taking the 92 Corolla off the road for a full restoration and fit the rebuilt engine into the Glanza

• Registered Users Posts: 13,494 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Considering financial burdens I have to deal with at the moment, I have no option but to keep my 15yo corolla at least until mid 2023. However, ms jou's plans changed drastically since she got strong advice from our mech to rid of her car asap. So now, instead of keeping her 131 ASX for a few more years she's waiting for a call from dealer to collect her new and shiny car. That'd very likely happen this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭User1998

Which engine? You probably wouldn’t save much as the petrol engines are very efficient these days. Just the cost of fuel has risen so much

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

What did she buy Jou ? It’s strange times at the moment for buying brand new as factory order times are so long and what available in stock is so limited.

• Advertisement

It's 1.5 petrol.

Well had a diesel before it and €50 would do almost 950km on a tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭micah537

I plan on getting a 430d or 435d or something that's not stupidly expensive to tax. Current car is 2010 M3 and seems a little pointless to own right now. I did two track days precovid but it's a waste just using it around the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

At current diesel prices my 55 liter tank is around 80 quid to fill. Big difference on before summer. Either way you'll still get more miles for 80 quid diesel than 90 quid petrol.

Oh fact, I can't see prices dropping atal in 2022 can you?

Only if the truckers get there way.

Anyways my plans next year is to stick with the ST as I only have it 4 months.

Regards to maintenance and mods I'll probably look at getting the belt and water pump done at some stage. Ford recommends 200k km or 10 years but I've being recommend to get it done earlier than that as the water pumps have being known to go prematurely on the TDCi/hdi engines and I'm big believer in early preventive maintenance. Like wise with servicing I'll send it in every 10-12k km as opposed to the 20k that for recommends.

Am going to fit a pair of metal plates on it shortly along with removing the dealer surrounds and maybe a paint correction before the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Summitatem

75mpg ..... Must have been very light footed to see that regularly, possible though no doubt. Nothing petrol will rival that ...maybe a hybrid yaris on ideal driving I suppose.

I'd see close to under 5l/100km from a 3l on a predominantly 80kmph trot if traffic was light.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Would need to be be closer to 90mpg to do that at todays diesel prices!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Those figures are nearly bang on to my 1.0 Octavia, usually just shy of €90 to fill it from the fuel light and usually gives me a hair over 700kms, best ever was 755 but usually more like 710, 720ish. I think it's a good return on what it is, works out usually around 48-50mpg old money.

Granted €90 is a lot for a tank but it's not the cars fault petrol has went up 50% in the last year.

My old 1.6 diesel Golf wasn't giving a whole lot more MPG wise in reality, thr only difference was the diesel was cheaper at the pump.

Car plans for 2022? The missus is picking up her new car this week, i'm half sorry i bought the Octavia, i really probably didn't need it in the first place, nice and all as it is and i'm tempted to sell and get into a bangernomic.

Did you go for a Mk8 Golf to replace the MK7.5 or is it something different ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

No, actually. Mainly based on price, to re-PCP into a half decent spec Mk8 was working out north of €500p/m which seems excessive, to use the eternal phrase - "for a Golf". Couple that with a higher balloon payment and it just seemed to be getting dear. The Mk8 is a nice car but not worth that much to us.

Getting a new T-Roc which i'm ok with, basically a Golf 7 on stilts, there's a few odds and ends lacking in them (no different to the Mk8 in it's lackings somewhat) but the run out models are very well spec'd and a change is as good as a rest. Only concern would be will the T-Roc provide any equity in 3 years but with a GMFV of €11.5k should see us ok.

What I should have done is not buy my Octavia and buy the Golf we are trading in. We probably would have bought out the 7.5 otherwise as it suits us grand, very low kms, but when we bought it in 192, my missus was doing 200kms a day, then when the car was 6 months old sure she was working from home like the rest of the world and now her new office is in the same town we live in so it's really struggling with the low mileage as she does drive it to work.

So... yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Trebor176

The plan is to change my 2009 Fiesta in the coming weeks. I test drove a 211 Focus and a 212 Puma in early December, and liked both. The garage didn't have much stock at all, due to Covid.

I will more than likely go for another Fiesta, but not brand new. As the current car is on the driveway most of the time, there is no point spending too much until I get driving a lot more.

But, with the age of the current car, it needs a couple of things done, which will cost hundreds. I could have got them done with the last service, but the car still passed the NCT.

I like the T-Roc I have never been in one but from the outside they look nice. I didn’t think they would be any cheaper than a Mk8 golf if anything I thought they would be more expensive.

But when you’ve had a few golfs a change will be nice. Plus the shorter commute is good. Between fuel costs bad extra depreciation from mileage the costs of long commutes quickly add up.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Will keep herself's car (Hyundai Ioniq EV)

I'm currently running a bangernomics 2004 VW touran, alongside my van (2001 peugeot partner) and plan to change this soon. Probably looking to change the touran for a Tesla S or X, and the van to be replaced with something larger as it's only got a 650kg payload.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Well I've recently sold the DS3 (2 viewings, 2nd person bought it there and then) - it is very much missed as it was tonnes of fun to drive and just spotless inside (2013 1.6T with 79,000KM, I did 2600 of them) but it was just not needed as I'm at most, going to be returning to the office 1/2 days a month. Decided to take advantage of the time of year and the current used car market and sold it for €300 more than I paid 15 months ago.

At the same time, since the Karoq feels quite small with the 2 kids + their "luggage", we decided to reinvest in a new Kodiaq Sportline (which is what I wanted to go for in the first place but couldn't afford). The missus is getting a work van too so with the savings in ownership from the DS3 (tax, insurance, NCT, maintenance etc) + the trade in value, it's actually not costing us any more a month - happy days! Dealer says it will be here end of Feb.

The sportline spec looks really well on the Superb and Kodiaq.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Completely agree mate! We actually went with the Style 1.5 TSI in the Karoq for the leather seats (which are not available in the Sportline) but the facelift Kodiaq Sportline seats are half leather (I put leather covers under the kids seats anyway).

New one should look like this with the Sportline Pack, Virtual Cockpit, same 1.5 TSI DSG (amazing engine).

Post edited by advertsfox on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,982 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Currently driving RR Sport PHEV, waiting on LR to release new RR PHEV in second quarter, they are claiming 100km from battery, currently getting around 40km.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Bought a Cupra Formentor last year with the 1.5 TSI engine and I actually find it very fuel efficient for a petroleum engine , has the two cylinder shut down in Eco mode as well and will get around 43-45 mpg on the motorway which is good for what it is …also a really refined engine with good mid range power , was unsure when buying but it’s great for what I need these days and the car is fab can’t say enough good things about the Formentor so defo a keeper for me …

On the fun end I’ll be hopefully respraying my Boxster S ahead of the summer to enjoy , all mechanical up to speed since last year if funds allow maybe refurb the seats as well…

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Have the Fiesta about 7 months now I think, most of that it hasn't been driven, or I've been fixing niggly bits.

Have some new parts to go on when I get a sec some weekend, then it'll be wheel refurb and PS4's to replace the shite tyres currently on it.

Drop it to a detailer near herselfs then to get the paint looked at, and hopefully some of the minor scuffs removed while he's at it.

I'll have a few extra bob this year all going well so want to get an exhaust, intercooler, probably bigger brakes if they're not too much hassle to get behind the standard wheels and get it mapped. Hoping for about 230 ish on our fuel.

Then start saving to get the DC2 shell restored and engine rebuilt. Will also need new suspension and some fabrication on the exhaust.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Pops_20

I don't have anything major planned. I will keep driving my 180sx day to day. I've been driving in daily for almost 5 years now and put 53k kilometres on it. It's only getting 24mpg so it hasn't been great to run with the recent increase in fuel prices but I know the car so well and it has never let me down so I will just keep driving.

For the R32 Skyline, that won't be back out until April but it's going for some paintwork soon. Back arches are starting to rust, plus some parts of it I am not happy with, so getting both quarters, roof and rear of car painted. Other than that it should be mechanically sorted for the year.

Aside from that, old jap car life gets a bit tiresome at times. I've been thinking about something more modern lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Reading about the GR86, finally a new car to get excited about. 4 pot, 2.4 NA, 1275kg, 230bhp - looks better than GT86 also I think.

Ill be keeping the E36 and NC MX5 for now as they still feel fairly special but would love a GR86 in 6-7 years. No doubt, there will be some drama with try to get one here. Toxic tax, purchasing or insurance costs or the possible reality they wont get sold here. Same for the Alpina A110 it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

The newer ones seem to react quite well to a remap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

No real plans except to sort out a rusty rear wheelarch. Well I think I say this every year, but I really do plan on fixing it this year as the rust is starting to spread and it is starting to look quite ugly now. Once that is done I will take it to JC Autocare to get the repainted areas ceramic coated, and the whole interior and engine bay detailed. For once in my life, I can't think of anything massively wrong with the way the car drives, well of course there are a few things that annoy my OCD, but for anyone that's not as OCD as me, there's really very little wrong with the way it drives. It's getting an Inspection 1 service next week also.

Last year it got new subframe bushes, diff, catalytic converters, headlight polish, bumper re-alignment, genuine backbox, genuine rear bumper apron, and many other bits, so that was more than enough love (and expense) for it. It also got new handbrake cables, and I have finally discovered that BMW handbrakes are not rubbish after all. I had changed backing plates (for genuine BMW items), shoes more than once (again for genuine BMW items) and while there were issues there, it was only once the cables were done that the car now as a properly functioning handbrake. 4000 miles since the handbrake cables were fitted properly and it still hasn't needed adjustment despite me parking the car on a sloped driveway almost all the time. It simply couldn't do that before for more than a couple of weeks. Sometimes it's the simplest of things that make such a big difference!

Being a 19 year old car, I've been thinking a lot lately that it really is time to consider replace it with something newer (at least as a daily driver), but the truth is, it's so hard to look past an E46 for how well they drive, and with the way things are going in the new car market, that advantage is only going to increase as time moves on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Going to hold onto the skodas we have which are 5 and 6 years old this month and due to be paid off now and in 12 months and start saving for an ev in 2 to 3 years time. 2025 will be the tipping point towards mass ev adoption and proposed ice sale bans even if in 2030 or 35 will have an effect where people won't buy and will hold off for an ev.

I was walking around tonight looking at all the future Nokia's in the estate parked outside houses. Hard to believe its all about to change.

Advertisement