Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2021 car plans

• 01-01-2021 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭

Following on from last years thread.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=112158217

What are peoples plans for their cars this year keep or change ? Any modifications or upgrades planned or big maintenance jobs ?

I never really predict too well on these in 2020 I went from a Mk7.5 Golf GTI to a Skoda Octavia 2.0TDI it was a drastic change but like anything its had pros and cons. As it stands I am planning on doing a lot of mileage in 2021 so the Octavia suits this well.

I plan on keeping it but then there was a lot of more interesting cars I have owned that I planned of keeping and never did so will say a lot for the car if I still have it this time next year.

Maintenance wise assuming nothing goes wrong with the Octavia it will need 3 services, 2 tyres if not 4, likely front discs and pads towards the end of the year and also a timing belt at the end of the year. Realistically considering it already has a good few miles on it, it will probably need other things along the way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Having bought a new car early last year, which I would not have done a month later, I'd love to be able to drive it more.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I want something bigger, more comfortable, better fuel efficiency and reliability a must.....

I'm doing around 160km a day 5 to 6 days a week, occasionally 7.... Also 320km on some days.

Hopefully in a few months I'll be able to bump up my credit union loan and get something bigger then the megane. Absolutely amazing reliability though just too small.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Hopefully buy an EV.

Looking at ICE stuff it's all either boring or unreliable.

I think the EV should be more reliable and currently are still new enough to be interesting.

The only ICE car that would really interest me is the Alfa Gulia but the reliability seems hit and miss.

In contrast with EVs I even liked driving the Zoe just to give you a benchmark as to where I'm at in EV Vs ICE..

EVs may not work for everyone but for what I want they are fine for range etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Not planning on changing but have some plans for upgrades to what I have alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

Less miles on the Landcruiser, its semi-retired now, I've had it 12 years and not about to let it go..Its only back from having a dose of corollavirus - rust issue in the back end - all sorted with a nice bill to go along with it - sentimentality is a curse!!

Keep the 09 Kuga tipping along for baba duties, and sort an irritating sensor issue in Mrs Bob's Rav4 - but thats under warranty, so back to the dealer it goes. Make a proper start on the Cinquecento Sporting restoration too.. time is the enemy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Happy new... King Lear

Plans, plans...

For start a clear out. I have a lot of stuff I won't get round to. Categorising what I have and offering for sale over the next few weeks and months. Mostly Mercedes, Alfa Romeo and Fiat stuff

Volvo: a few subtle changes over the next few months. On bosch blues, I like Q cars :)

The rest is all in the same boat, projects... First and number 1 priority is to get the Z back driving and tuned properly after it's lengthy coma, next will be the E34 (at bloody last, nearly 15 years into ownership) which requires every rubber component to be replaced, along with fuel lines and other sh*te, followed by the 607 (replacement box, install a better cooler for said box and lots of bushes) and possibly the 406

As I look after a lot of other people's stuff getting the time for my own stuff is difficult these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Planning on getting rid of the A6 for a little hot hatch, not too sure what I'll get yet. Not a whole for sale at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Bren_C

Lease is up on the V90 so picking up a 520d touring on Monday, not too exciting but should be nice

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,053 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Bit of rust appearing around rear arches, both sides. Hope to get that done. That's about it really.

beertons wrote: »
    Bit of rust appearing around rear arches, both sides. Hope to get that done. That's about it really.

Is it worth it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

beertons wrote: »

Do you still have the Mk4 Golf ?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,053 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Yep, same car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

After Covid putting the kibosh on car plans for 2020, I've a lot of plans for this year. Fingers crossed the vaccines will put an end to this pandemic and we'll be able to go back to normal in a few months' time.

First off, I need to sort out some rust on the driver's rear arch. Well, I said that the past couple of years and haven't gotten around to doing it yet :pac:, but I really do plan on fixing that this year.

I have new rear boot lights to put on it along with a seal for one of the outer tail lights, it is leaking slightly back there, and the lights look very faded so they need to be done and not just for aesthetics now.

I need to refurbish two of the wheels again because I managed to kerb them somehow last year :rolleyes:.

The suspension needs a bit of going over as I can hear a slight knock from the front suspension when I back it out of a driveway or sometimes pulling away from traffic lights, or other similar types of motion (although when it's on the move there is nothing wrong with the way it drives) and I know it needs a new backbox but I'm going to brazen that one out if I can, if it causes the NCT next month I'll get it changed. Genuine backboxes cost a small fortune and I love the sound of it as it is, so I've no interest in aftermarket solutions for a couple of reasons.

First off, decent aftermarket backboxes are more or less the same price as a genuine one anyway and I don't like the way they change the exhaust note away from that lovely creamy sound 90s BMWs with a NA six cylinder engine made. The modern BMW engines don't have that lovely pure and smooth noise the old school engines do (even the six cylinder versions, they still sound very nice of course, but the turbos and direct injection very much compromise the exhaust note compared to glory days of the NA engines). Secondly, it turns out my one has an aftermarket centre section which makes it noisier and fruitier than a standard E46 anyway (although definitely not in a boy racery type of way, and it still retains the unmistakable sound of a 90s naturally aspirated six cylinder BMW). I always knew it sounded particularly nice (even as those engines go), but now I know why, no wonder I've mentioned it the odd time that I like BMW straight sixes :pac:. Finally, I put fresh chrome exhaust tips on it a couple of years ago to make it look a bit smarter, so sticking with a genuine backbox means they can be transferred over and I haven't wasted a bit of money.

Aside from that, I hope I'll actually be able to drive it this year, thanks to the various lockdowns last year, the car did the grand total of 3,400 miles in 2020 :pac: - in non-Covid years my annual mileage is more like double that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

Hopefully keep the 16yo R53 alive for another year.
    Have to fit a new aerial - Mrs Mellie managed to rip it off somehow.
    Small hole in one of the back boxes.
    Is losing a bit of coolant.
    Needs a service/oil change - overdue.
    Car is absolutely filthy so needs a wash.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,502 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Hopefully put more mileage up on the Ateca this year than I did last year :o.
    Will be replacing it again later in the year.
    Probably the same again as I am dead happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

vectra wrote: »
    Hopefully put more mileage up on the Ateca this year than I did last year :o.
    Will be replacing it again later in the year.
    Probably the same again as I am dead happy with it.

Have you it that long! Time flies.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Looking at new RR Sport PHEV in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Replaced my 9-3 Aero the last few days with a 2015 Audi A6 S-Line ultra with all the bells and whistles.
    Longer commute the last few months and the Saab is a bit draining after a days work.
    Second time I have replaced a Saab 9-3 aero with an Audi A6 hope I don’t regret it this time.

I will say this the Audi is smooth and comfortable as anything I have driven.
    Very nice car to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,236 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Had planned on bringing a V90 in from the UK but Brexit has scuppered that big time. Might have to resort to paying over the odds and have a dealer bring one in for me.

I'd it me or have all cars gone up including second hand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭shanec1928

I'd it me or have all cars gone up including second hand?

The budget pushed up new cars a few thousand depending on the models

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Picking up a Renault Captur S Edition tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

I'll be keeping with my ex-taxi Octavia with 466,000 kms on the odometer. It had a sevice in December : oil, oil filter, air filter and pollen filter. Everything else good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Be actually able to drive the car to places other than work and back. :)

Ive had the 320d a year as of last week and have put about 18k kms on it since then but without any of this **** going on I reckon it would of been over 25k.

Otherwise I'm probably going to hold onto it for another year and see how I feel about it in 2022. Maybe go back to petrol afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭arsebiscuits82

Hand back my car under the half rule. I absolutley love the car but can't justify payments on it considering I only did 3000km in it last year. I have a company vehicle which is costing around €400 a month in BIK, I'll save a fortune!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Will be keeping the Model S for the next year, just spent 4k on it for tires and maintenance so have to get the moneys worth!
    This will be the longest I've kept a car for the the last 10 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,502 ✭✭✭✭vectra

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Have you it that long! Time flies.

Yes indeed,
    2 years next August. But would have to order the replacement in about 12 weeks time.
    I would be embarressed to post the mileage on the Ateca.:o
    Somebody is going to get a new car with 2 year old plates. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Clue Girl

My 2021 car plan involves me rocking up to the NCT centre and crossing everything in the hopes that Betsy passes

• Registered Users Posts: 21,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Dav010 wrote: »
    Looking at new RR Sport PHEV in July.
    Colleague of mine had one for a year and hated it. Replaced with a 745le Phev. He didnt like the 4 cylinder engine in the range rover , the bimmer has a 6 in the 745le (and X5 45e) so they are a better car IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

My daily driver is a 08 1.9 TDI Golf V - only getting run in at 124k miles yesterday. Paid €2000 for it at the end of 2019, i've put 30k trouble free miles on it. Cheap tax and great fuel economy I can see no reason to do anything with it other than put on more miles :)

My weekend/track day car is a JZX 100 - I might tax it for 3 months in July and do a few drift days if we are ever allowed live again. Had toyed with selling it as the value of them has basically doubled in the last 2 years but I can't see anything i'd like to replace it with.

Advertisement