Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How many days are you free from booze?

Options
  • 01-12-2021 8:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭

Hi.

Do you know the date when you had your last drink?

I'm now on 1364 days without a drop. :)

Glad to be done with the demon drink.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭gazzer

36 days. Intend to stay alcohol free.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭Worztron

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pretty boy floyd

I think I’m at 322 days now. It definitely gets easier, and I’m not even that worried/stressed about Christmas, despite the relentless advertising and implications that it is all about booze. Let’s see how it goes.

The first week and then month seem the hardest I think, so well done and keep it going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Skipduke

had my last drink october 2020. don't miss it..no thoughts of going back.

it's actually a turn off when I see people base their entire personality on pints or being out drinking. drink kills thousands of people every year around the world too. a hidden pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭sonandheir

Last drink was August 2019. So glad I wasn't drinking when Covid came along, was able to focus on health and fitness throughout the lockdowns instead of nursing hangovers.

Fair play to everyone in this forum. Giving up drinking has been one of the best decisions I ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭rolling boh

My only regret about cutting back and out the drink was not doing it years ago it has freed up some much time and allowed me fill the time with positive things don't have an issue with drinking just it becoming the centre of everything . The amount of people who won't do or go anywhere without the ' few drinks ' is huge in this country unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

35 days due to illness and meds.

I'm tempted to stay off it.

Well done, your passed 1 year.

Yes, I find it boring how people obsess over booze at near every event.

That figure is more like 3 million deaths worldwide each year from booze.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

How the hell do you manage long term? I actually find it easy enough for a few weeks as i usually have an event that will spur me into kicking it for a while. The problem is staying off it long term. Everything from putting on the stove at night triggers me to have a few crafts, a summers day triggers me as does most of life's events. I heard someone say before it's harder to give up the smokes than the drink but this hasn't been the case for me. Sick of the hangovers at this stage and the anxiety that comes with it.

I'm sure its different for everyone, and I wouldnt be the one to preach having never had a break for decades before a health scare totally put me off it last January. Not had a drop since and it has been fine. Its been good to get through the usual triggers, like the ones you mention, with the knowledge it will get easier each time. Beyond that the end of the booze related anxiety is really great. Good luck with it, I'm sure half the battle is wanting to stop.

It's 1387 days since my last drink. I'd hate the thought of that resetting to zero. I like to break personal records - exercises times, game high scores, weight loss, etc. I find this helps me a lot to also stay away from the booze.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭e.r

Coming up to 2190 days.

best thing I’ve ever done!!

still get asked by people would you not start again, nope is always the answer.

I had to do some division - that's 6 years! Nice! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭malinheader

December 23/21. Went out with a friend,had been off it since probably August.

Next day Christmas eve felt like siht, couldn't function. Missed visiting relatives and friends and own family. Christmas day still a mess.

Hopefully that's the end for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭prishtinaboy99

My counter tells 934 days..

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭amytomjerry

Had last drink on 6th Feb 2021...Best decision ever made...after the initial couple of emotionally and mentally tough months...lost alot of bloating and some weight..skin has improved tremendously..finances too

However, I still think about alcohol every day..(does this ever stop?)..pre Christmas was very hard not to give in..

Still shocked at how 'drink' is everywhere..every TV show or film has it, everyone talks about drink alot, supermarket or local shop bombardment..there's no escape from the visuals..

But I love love love not drinking even though I do miss it sometimes..Will never go back on it, it would destroy me after all this time.

Definitely changed how I look at life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Twofastwheels

November 2010 For me. Don't miss it at all now. I don't even think about it either at this point. Can easily go to family gatherings and nights out with friends and love that I wake up the next day being able to do something positive with that day. It took a few years to get to that point but a journey worth taking.

Day #1431. :-) 🍵

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭apache

Been about 6 years since I had a drink. Used to be always in trouble. Don't miss it one bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭MikeCairo78

888 days, family life is back to where it should be, buying a house, doing well at work. Life is so completely different from where it was - no longer in the gutter looking at the stars, to steal a phrase. I was in a bad way back in 2019, am much better in 2022, had help and still use it, but life is no longer obsessing about the drink and all disasters that befalls with lies and guilt and the ducking and the diving. Life is simple now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Everlong1

Over 9 years, thanks to AA. Loving every day of it, not missing it in the slightest.

Advertisement