Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar PV Performance Thread - Post your monthly output

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Hi,

I am seeing that more people are starting to put in their data which is good but just for new people the monthly generated sheet pulls your name and kWp installed from the first page which has more details on orientation cost of system etc. If your user name is not there just use any of the names called "Spare USER06" or whatever one if free, just change the name. I have created a few more spare users just in case.

Use this sheet to enter in your system details including user name, we can then use all this data later to do some detailed analysis and compare systems

Your user name and installed capacity should be linked and automatically populated from the Installation Details page so all you have to do here is enter your monthly data.

Rock on🤘

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭minnow

The chart is a great resource, thanks to those of you who put it together.

Out of interest, when I compared my monthly readings from the Solis inverter and the MyEnergi app, there is quite a difference. I have more faith in the Solis figures as the MyEnergi app can be quite glitchy. Did anybody else have the same experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,079 ✭✭✭championc

I only use the MyEnergi app for quick sanity checks. I use Node-Red dashboard to monitor the system and use the Solarmanpv app for monthly stats

• Registered Users Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭irishchris

Excellent work on this and just added my details to production so may look out of skew now with my data not showing in order with everyone else 😃

Wonder could one of the mods be able to add link to the Excel in first post or if not might be worth starting new thread with just the Excel spreadsheet link in first post of it

Thanks for the data, all you have to do once your data is in is filter the last column high to low. It now puts you second from top on overall generation for the year.

Yeah I think we do need the link on the first post but we need a mod for that. Or we just create a new thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,231 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Anything you need a Mod for, forget it.

I've added my data for the year so far.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

The MyEnergi app only measures the Solar production you actually use, not what you generate.

I find the SolisHome app to be the most accurate, and then use the SolisCloud app to get a visualisation (like the MyEnergi app), but which also shows the battery.

"The MyEnergi app only measures the Solar production you actually use, not what you generate."

Maybe that is the way it might be for a Hybrid Inverter, but a pure Solar Inverter records every bit generated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭denismc

If you have a CT on the tail from the inverter then the MyEnergi app will also show how much you generate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭THE ALM

That is the first month complete, thought we would have pushed a bit more today but turned out to be another dull day.

Total for the month of 170kWh with the best day of 16.5kWh and the worst 0.3kWh.

120kWh going to the battery, 20.9kWh going to the eddi and need to see what went to the zappi.

Will input details to the spreadsheet.

Happy New Year to you all and here is to a sunny 2022.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Midlands

4.1kWp SW, 3.3kWp NE

1341kW imported (two EV household)

58.7kWh Generated

53.8kWh consumed

25kWh to Eddi

0kWh to Zappi

Highest was 14th, 4.1kWh

Lowest was 20th, 0.3kWh

6% self sufficient

Monthly cash saving based on average daily load and all non-load items like dishwasher/washing machine/immersion at night rate, €5.47

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Fingal

5.78kWp

Generated: 52.7kWh

Best Day: 2nd, 3.4kWh

Worst days: 21st, 22nd & 25th, 0.2kWh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

I know this is a kind of a personal thing with how you view the production , but if you consume 53.8 Kwh, wouldn't most of that be consumed at the time it was generated and by definition during daylight hours (i.e. day rate) . Yeah, I guess you could put the 25Kwh that the Eddi used in at night time from the grid, but I think your doing yourself a disservice there. i.e. underreporting your own savings.

Not saying your wrong or anything, but curious as to your logic.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

You are correct, my logic (when I created a spreadsheet to automate the calculation) was April/May when I started to move night rate activity like washing machines etc to day time. Now it's Winter and everything has moved back to night rate so all consumed generation should be at my day rate and not weighted average, would "bump" my savings to around €20 this month.

Good catch

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

I'd say most of us are in about €20-30 quid this time of year. Here's my own spreadsheet updated to include the December data.

*Circuit breaker issue was only fixed in mid Dec, so was only using battery from then on (16 days or so)

I'm somewhat dubious about the 3% losses in roundtripping to/from the battery. 7% was what i had in November, and indeed GivEnergy do report a 92.5% battery efficiency in their own data....so my November figure was sort of "on point" with what i expected.

However, 97% efficient for Dec seems -too- good to be true, but that's what the inverter is reporting from the telemetry anyway. Dunno. I computed the savings with 97%..... it was only tens of cents in the difference, but while I'd like to hope that I've 97% efficient round trip.....I doubt it.

Since it's Winter, 100% of the electricity I generated was used during the day, so it was all day-rate price computations for solar.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

All depends where it's measured really.. most of the losses are in the ac/DC conversions

I'm only getting 80% at the consumer unit. But even the solarman app isn't that optimistic as 97%.

10.7 kwh in, 8.6kwh out today. 100%-15%

yeah, I get where the losses would be , but the data that they present alludes to the fact that they are measuring at the right place.

From their blurb....

• Hybrid technology. Both AC and DC coupled. DC to DC charging minimising losses and maximising efficiency. Can also be charged from the Grid utilising a flexible energy tariff.
    • High system round trip efficiency – 92.5%. Other systems are less efficient.

Sounds dubious to me though. I can potentially believe 7-8% losses, but 3% sounds too good to be true. Maybe I'm too pessimistic. Doubting bastard that i am :-) LOL

For me to measure it myself, I'd have to setup a test noting units on the consumer board charge the battery and see what was used, subtracting the "base load" ideally getting that to zero or close to zero.......and then plug in a device (say a 2Kw heater) and run that for 4-5 hrs, and have a measuring device like .....

Power Meter Dual Tariffs Rechargeable, Maxcio Electricity Usage Monitor UK Plug for Costs Voltage Amps Watt KWH, Large LCD Display Energy Monitor Consumption Analyzer for Home Appliances, No Backlight : Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

To see what I get back. Not sure I've got the inclination :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,231 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

December Stats

6.2kWp (2.8 south/3.4 west), 20kWh battery, Zappi & Eddi – Donegal

Generation – 52kWh (whopping decrease of 24% from December 2021)

Export – 0kWh

Import – 814.2kWh, decrease from 852.8kWh last year.

Best day – 28th 5.1kWh

Worst day - 25th, 0.2kWh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

7kWp South with 5kwh battery - but the 4kWp on the shed are in the shade since November so generation is less than 50% of what it could be 😰

Generated – 107kWh

EV - 94.5kWh so the generation covered the car at least

Import – 515 kWh

Best day – 14th 7.3kWh

Worst day - 25th 0kWh

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭munsterfan2

2.8KW array, South Facing, Meath ( No Battery installed, 10KW battery on way )

December summary

Generation – 65.1 kWh   (Best Fri 10th @ 8.3kW,  11 & 22 both negligible @ .1)
    Export     – 12.8 kWh
    Import     – 1441.4 kWh
    Zappi      - 375.6 kWh

Import Usage Breakdown (Units)
       Boost    Day    Night
        263    667    466                 
        €17.20    €156.95    €56.43

Heat Pump (kWh)        
       Compressor 453.1    
    Output (kWh)
       Heating        1971.6
       Hot Water        498.5

COP    5.45    

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

Those measurement are probably made in ideal conditions and when all stars align. Similar way the car manufactures measure petrol consumption on their cars.

I have data for 1 year roundtrip to/from battery and I get 7.7% losses. 3% is very optimistic.

Since I had some time I have created myself a dashboard to see how much each day is costing me and how much I am saving. Since I have single tariff it is simple enough but once I get 'smart' plan later this month and start charging the batteries on cheap rate it will be interesting to see the figure and if they make sense. Obvioussly the savings are not great this time of the year but today looks promising.

Post edited by reklamos on

December Stats

2.7kWp (S), 10kWh battery, 22 deg Slope

Generation – 52.14 kWh
     Consumed   - 324.43 kWh
     Import     – 321.52 kWh
     Export     – 3.73 kWh
     Eddi       - 0 kWh
     Zappi      - 0 kWh

Meter Readings 04490 (01042 Day - up 93 / 03448 Night - up 253)

Totals so far:

Month    |   2020   |   2021   |   2022   |
    ---------+----------+----------+----------+
    January  |     75   |     56   |          |
    February |    122   |    142   |          |
    March    |    200   |    269   |          |
    April    |    279   |    373   |          |
    May      |    396   |    430   |          |
    June     |    264   |    425   |          |
    July     |    261   |    387   |          |
    August   |    254   |    264   |          |
    September|    268   |    248   |          |  
    October  |    151   |    185   |          |  
    November |     90   |     78   |          |
    December |     56   |     52   |          |
    ---------+----------+----------+----------+
    Total    |   2.41   |   2.90   |          |

Boards.ie - Solar Capacity and production analysis - Google Sheets

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/126q1if4RJqtmB1z-M6cxuXr6TknY_SwKuwAjxZsxh8E/edit#gid=1217242061

Post edited by championc on

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

8.64kWp on a 6kw inverter,

12 degree roof, NE/SW 50:50

10kwh Battery storage, 20.27c Day/5.83c night

"December

Generation : 70.1kWh

Solar Used Directly : 55.9kWh - €11.33

Solar Used Nightrate : 0kWh - €0

Battery Charged : 10.8kWh

Battery Discharged Day : 8.6kWh - €1.73

Battery Discharge Night : 0kWh - €0

EVSE Divert : 0kWh - €0

Battery Discharged From Grid Charging : 241.2kWh - €31.14

Export : 3.4kWh

Total Savings : €44.2"

814.99 Savings for the year. Have more batteries ordered, But honestly they will only really benefit me for night rate charging.

Planning to add a Wi-Fi switch on my immersion (and with a CT) for a dumb diverter in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ELCAT2009

December was my first full month of production as only installed Mid Nov.

6.2kWp (3.1 southeast /3.1 southwest), 4.8kWh battery, – Galway

Generation – 68kWh

Export – 0kWh

Import – 1016kw (includes 138kw of battery charging of night rate for use during the day)

Best day – 5th 7.9kWh

Worst day - 20th, 0.1kWh

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭rgfuller

2nd time posting in this thread.

Dublin - Lucan - December 21

7.12kW total installed (South: 3.45kW, East, 2.41kW, West (all with optimisers) 1.38kW). 5KWh Battery

Total Generation: 120kWh (46kWh consumed directly, 72kWh into battery, 2KWh to grid (Eddi))

Best Day: December 5th - 9.8kWh

Worst Day: December 25th - 0.4kWh

Total Consumption: 455kWh (29% Solar:71% Grid)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

4.8kW EW Dublin. 2.4kWh battery

December 2021(kWh):

Production: 50 (61 predicted)

Consumption: 851

Import: 803 (310d, 493n)

Export: 1.8 (0 pred.)

Best day: 2nd: 2.9

Worst day:25th: 0.4

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭handpref

5.4kwp East West Split

7.5kwh total for December

Not what was promised by the sales rep-

Yearly total of 7100kwh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

7.5kWh for the entire month? That can't be right.

Finished out with 156 kWh for December (6.1 kWp)...middle two weeks of the month were a disaster.

New Years resolution is to get a better handle on my overall house energy consumption. Only moved into my house on the October bank holiday weekend and I am in the process of getting Home Assistant set up. I think I will get a years detailed energy data first and see if it will be worth my while getting a battery. I have an awful feeling I will be exporting a lot of energy (for free😪) come April on.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Well, I've done it. My first Megawatt of power generated on less than 6 months.

Advertisement