Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar PV Performance Thread - Post your monthly output

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

That's great for a relatively low kWp system

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭denismc

I had a bit of time on my hands so I totalled up all the generation posted here since the start of the year and it came to 115 MWh which is enough to power 27 homes for a year (@4200kWh).

That's a lot of energy for one thread, I will give totals for the end of the year although I don't expect much change for December.

There are new people posting here all the time so it will be interesting to see the numbers grow next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

I was thinking myself a while back it might be useful to set up a google docs excel sheet so people can input their monthly figures that way we could do some proper analysis of the numbers everybody is generating.....what do ya think

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I think that would be a great idea. Too many variables at the minute. If you want to do any sort of analysis, you find yourself having to flick back to previous posts to get details of slope etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭denismc

• Advertisement

I walked myself into that one....I will put something together there later

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Maybe tack it on as a new sheet in the installed capacity Google docs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Yeah, I created that original one. That makes sense Jonathan. Let me do that.

Added a new sheet in there "Monthly Production" (down at the bottom for those unfamiliar with spreadsheets)

I debated if I'd have the usernames as columns or rows and decided that I'd have them as columns as otherwise we'd be scrolling out to the right most of the time. Having user names as rows doesn't lend itself to upgrading your installation from month to month if you added new panels, hence why it's layed out the way it is. So if people just create a new column with your username and then fill in the details as I have done that should see us right.

Additionally, if someone has an extra row of information that people feel they'd like to see tracked, feel free to add in the extra row.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

I think you are asking for too much info each month. Just ask people to put in total production. I am a lot less likely to enter 13 bits of data every month than 1. Capacity/orientation is already given in the first sheet and people can add a cell comment if capacity changes. It also makes it much harder to read. I store all the info you have in that sheet in my own spreadsheet but I think we only really care about total production in that shet.

• Advertisement

yeah fair point and when I was filling it out garo I though the very same thing! Like you I actually have way more in my own spreadsheet such as "Grid to battery" etc.

I err'd on the side of too much here rather than too little. If you don't then there would be people who want to know things like "max recorded watts". People can fill out the rows that they want, or not. Or not even fill out the spreadsheet at all. (Wasn't my original idea, but happy to facilitate it)

If you (or anyone else) have thoughts about how it should look, feel free to create a new sheet in there as a template. These things are only as sucessful as what the community does.....

I have just added a new sheet to the document that links the data already in there so you only need to put in our monthly PV production. Just enter your monthly PV production in the blank cells and the charts should update automatically. I have also put in another table that will calculate the kWh generated per kWp installed. I dont know if this is a good metric or not but I put it in anyway.

I can understand Bullit_dodger as you can very easily go down a rabbit hole of looking for as much data as possible and yesterday I started doing that myself but I don't have a battery and not setup for know how much I generated used or exported yet. we can always expand on this sheet.

I put in some false data to see if it works and I think it does...Im an excel man never use Sheets so excuse any errors but its simple enough I think. the data in the screen shots below is made up data and I have deleted them.

Any new users enter your data in the first sheet and this will link into the monthly sheet. I have created 4 blank users that people can edit.

If everybody is happy maybe we should create a new thread with the link to the document on the first post that way we can find it easily.

Nice job @ECO_Mental.

@bullit_dodger I haven't been keeping the detail required for your sheet, so I haven't filled it out. We'll see what the majority want to go with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Just got my bill. Have 3.24kw pv since July 2021

442 units day/ 338 units night. =780

Last year

624 units day /275 units night = 899.

Apart from moving more to the cheaper night rate this year I saved 119 units.

It's a 37euro saving on the actual electricity used excluding standing charges etc but that's not that important due to unit cost changes

I generated about 220 kW in the 2 months.

Makes getting an eddi a job for next year a possibility though with the heating on and therefore hot water its in stallion would be a deficit on the balance sheet.

Hi all

There has been a few users entered there data on Builit_Dodger google docs sheet but I think we need more data...

As you can see its great showing over all kWh generated and idc is leading the charge in overall kWh generated, but the second graph shows based on kWp installed how your system is performing against the rest. Slayer91 might be down on overall total kWh generated as they have a 2.1 kWp system, but in August/September they out performed everybody based on kWp installed.

@Builit_Dodger

I think you need to create a new thread for monthly performance with the link to your spreadsheet on the first post...

This spreadsheet can be very useful to people going forward seeing how much can be generated based on location, orientation etc and can be expanded later with more data.

forgot to add the totals graph

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭idc

When I added my data I manged to add a slice/filter so it only displays users who've added data. I know in excel you can filter graphs. It would be great if it was possible to filter which rows you want to see in the table and have the graph update based on that. Eg filter out all users with same sized system or same county. Anyone a Google sheet expert?

Have to shout out to ECO that this is a nice piece of work. These things don't "write themselves" so thanks for spending the time here. I'll create a new topic and place a link to this spreadsheet in there s the first message so people can find it easily. I'll also have a look at filtering the charts - should be easy enough

Would be handy if we had a mod to edit the title for us....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,236 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I do wonder what it would take to actually get their attention.

Somebody gotta post nudes or something? Preferably not of themselves...

Reminds me of absentee landlords. Don't understand why they bothered. Obviously have no interest in the topic.

Reminds me of another forum where the mods are also mods of a forum which is the complete anthesis of the other and more akin to their beliefs. They managed to destroy what was a good forum and drive away everyone who wanted to be there.

I'll sort it (the folder) out correctly. Just (like many of us) have some relatives in the gaff and haven't had much time to sit down and sort it.

WRT the mods, well to be fair to them, there's only a limited number of mods and have you seen the number of topics across boards.ie ? Impossible to mod every forum.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Are there even Mods for this forum, used to see it on old Boards

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,236 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

There are 2 for this forum. I PMd them both a while back just asking them to confirm that they were still the mods for here.

No response.

I was just going to ask for their input on the naming suppliers saga.

I'm an excel man myself and never used google sheets but it seems quite intuitive, but I think this should be a repository of data for people to analyse themselves . Everybody is looking to compare to their system to equivalent systems see if its working as expected so I think people should be able to download the data and generate the graph or table that suits them. This data sheet should allow this.

I think it can be expanded if people buy into it...... and expand the data collected (for example to account for battery usage etc) but you have to start thinking of structing the data collected to make it useful. I saw somewhere on the interweb where there was this site where people gave permission to scrape their data from their PV systems, but I think we are a bit off that…

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭handpref

“One thing I noticed is that East/West splits really aren't great in winter”

Too True

5.4kwp East West Split

November 67 kWh (June 636kwh)

It's a great spreadsheet.

I'm at 940 this year with 52kw this month so far. Will i/won't I get 6kw in the next 3 days.

The suspense 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭yankinlk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Minor edit to replace zeroes with blanks which makes the charts a bit tidier. I am at 45.5 for the month. Not sure if I will hit 50.

Advertisement