Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Landlord ignoring requests to unlock post box, or to give us a key

Options
2»

Comments

• It’s 2021 if you’re a landlord and can’t be bothered your Barney to read and respond to a text from a tenant don’t be a landlord anymore.

If he read the text he can bloody well respond to it or if texting isn’t their thing - believe it or not the landlord could ring the tenant to discuss the matter! Shocking, I know!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

No, not at all. All previous comms could be wa. It's nearly '22 ffs. And regardless doesn't mean people need to be a d**k about the op's age or having to grow up etc.

No wonder this place is in decline.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,669 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Unfortunately a tenant who's too scared of talking to someone to phone in the first place will probably decline to answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,512 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

That suggesting not to rely on messaging (especially when its not working) but pick up the phone, touches such a nerve with some people. Suggests its not the first time they've been told this.

No wonder this place is in decline.

• Ah jaysus it’s a bit of a flipping stretch to say he’s “scared” to ring the LL. There’s perfectly good reasons for sending a text over ringing someone a couple off the top of my head would be:

having not only a record of communication but the entire conversation in writing if it’s sorted through text/email

some landlords just don’t like when you ring them and would rather a quick text or email first who’s to say this landlord isn’t one of them?

• Advertisement

Why is calling more of an response to an emergency than a WhatsApp?

The idea that a guy who is ignoring WhatsApp messages would definitely answer calls is spurious.

He'd already been messaged, multiple times. So your scenario's don't apply in this case.

One requires an instant response (and an internet connection) the one doesn't. Sometimes when the phone network is jammed. A message might get through.

You can ignore anything. If someone had ignored multiple phone calls, they might not be able to pick up a call. They might though be able to respond to a message.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Not a landlord but the amount of unread whatsapp messages i have probably going back months. Fucin phone is constantly beeping. I just put whatsapp on silent and check it maybe once every couple of weeks. I dont check text messages either.

If im not expecting a message then i wont bother even opening it. This is the problem spam and constant phishing calls have caused.

If someone wants to talk to me they can phone me and keep calling until they get through. None of this having me to ring voicemail and wade through a ton of unimportant messages either.

Now id say im not the only person like that. So if i want to talk to someone i will call them directly in case they are as bad as me for messaging.

Post edited by JimmyVik on

• Advertisement

I'm the same, I have certain groups and people constantly on mute because of the amount of noise from them. But you can mute some contacts and not mute others. So I assume a tenant wouldn't be on mute. But whatsapp often delivers messages late.

But a phone call either at work, or at home will generally get a faster response than messaging. Unless I'm training someone not to ring me. That also happens. In which case I'll answer their messaging, email faster. Though I know at work, many people ignore all emails and messaging, and only take things seriously when someone rings them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 LordSirTurnip

To clarify, I don't know where this impression that I'm terrified to use a telephone came from, I'm not, I don't think I need to elaborate more because it's just silly. I don't see where on this thread I said I didn't want to call anyone.

I simply said that we've only ever connected through WhatsApp and proposed that Text would be a better alternative to prove I brought an issue to him.

Had it been an ACTUAL fecking emergency, of course I'd call, but if its an issue im reminding him about after telling him a month ago, I think I'm well within my right to assume he's aware of the situation.

Granted, but I'd assume if a decent chunk of a LLs "job" is to respond to their tenants requirements, they'd need to be a bit more attentive to their usual means of communication than the average Joe Soap?

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Jmc25

Many people on this forum simply think that a landlord is never at fault so assuming you to be afraid of using the phone and also assuming the landlord never checks their WhatsApps would be the most favourable reading of this situation from the tenant band landlord bad perspective to which many people on here subscribe.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,669 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Squeaky wheels get oiled. WhatsApp doesn't squeak, it just gets muted.

If you want a different result, you need to use a different method to one that has already failed to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Because loads of people have notifications turned off or muted on WhatsApp ? The amount of junk on WhatsApp is painful. A regular text is more reliable anyway and can be delivered faster in most cases.

A phone call also leaves a record on your phone whether he answers or not. If he does answer you follow up with a quick text saying Thank You or whatever. You then have a record of a three minute conversation plus a text. For more serious issues, in legal terms, proof of a WhatsApp being read is not proof that the intended recipient read it.

If you're a LL, and you mute the main form of communication between you and your tenants, You're a shite LL, simple as. If i've used WA repeatedly with this person over the past month and a half, and he only now decided not to answer, it infers more of an unwillingness to do something rather than the medium to be failing. However, reading many of the comments on this discussion its pretty clear to me that some people would defend a LL with their lives, even if he was breaking the fecking Geneva Convention.

In fairness the LL insisting from the start, on cash only. While being "vehemently" against any electronic records at all. Was probably a bigger hint to why he was ignoring WA and a bigger problem.

Advertisement