Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord ignoring requests to unlock post box, or to give us a key

• 08-12-2021 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Recently moved into a shared flat which has a post box in the entrance of the building. The week we moved in we asked about the post box key as we'd be getting important post from revenue and the like. We were met with assurance that they'd get it done no bother. Fast forward a month now, and we're still waiting. We need documents that we know are in the box by Friday (took a picture with the phone through the letter flap).

Messaged the landlord this morning asking for a key, but he left us on read and we are just bit stuck. We need the post by Friday so say for example, radio silence from the Landlord continues to Thursday after we told him we need it, can I get a locksmith to pop the lock and deduct the bill from rent?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Have you acutally phoned the landlord? And if not, do so first thing tomorrow morning.

Building management are likely to have quite something to say if the lock is damaged - as many "locksmiths" that are basically just drill-wielders will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,653 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Quit messaging and call him.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

No you can't change the locks on/ damage property not owned by the landlord and then take it out of the landlords rent!

Even if the LL owned the postbox, you still cannot change the locks and take it out of the rent. Unless the LL agreed to it first (in writing for your sake).

So either way you may phone your LL. Messaging a certain generation rarely works, let me guess you're 20/25 yo?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Any success yet OP? Negligence that landlord has not given you that key.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Did you call him.

If not call him and ask him. I know management companies can take weeks to get new keys out.

Im always getting accused of ignoring messages from family that they say ive read and i havent. I just dont have much interest in messaging apps.

If you want to talk to me just ring me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,543 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I'd be highly surprised there is any ownership clause of the post box in the landlord property deeds tbh. Its part of common area building owned by the management company. Used to see many locks either busted or changed in my previous apartments as keys were lost.

First think is try fishing stuff out. I used to be able to get my fingers in when I forgot the key in apartment and had no interest in going back up to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Most of those locks are LF branded keys see if there is number on the lock you might be able to get a key made or even off the shelf from a good lock smiths shop. Otherwise buy a lock pick set and pick it it can't be that hard. A small screw drive and paper clip you could rake the pins in the lock look it up on youtube. Then change the lock yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Most locksmiths will pop that open in a jiffy without damaging it.

I had to get it done recently as my previous tenant lost his key and didn't tell me till after he moved out. The box might be someone elses 'property' but access to it is part of what you are paying for, so I don't expect you'll have problems from any Managing Agent or Landlord.

Just call the landlord and say "dyno lock are coming out tomorrow to crack it open as I have critical tax-related post in there" and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Jmc25

I'm amazed that the consensus here is the landlord has no obligation to address correspondence unless it's through the favoured channel of those on this thread.

OP, yes do ring the landlord. But you do have a right to expect that the LL respond in the first instance to your chosen method of communication.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

The consensus is use a robust reliable means of communication like an adult

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 LordSirTurnip

Robust would be text I'd have thought, provable that I alerted to the issue at this date and time and exactly what was said, hence its common usage in court. Him not seeing the message wouldn't be an excuse for not doing anything to fix the issue after I've mentioned it a month ago, otherwise feigning ignorance would trump proof that I came to him with a problem no?

Did have to do that once or twice, I've quite big hands though so could only get the few longer bits of post that were sticking up, but I look like a fecking eejit standing in the hallway fishing post out of the box every other morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭MakersMark

Phone him up and tell him you need a key.

Ask him if you can pay for a locksmith and deduct cost from rent. He'll most likely agree to this. If not, tell him you need a key right away.

Just call him.

In Conclusion, LL got back to me the day after saying he'd sort it. At ten o'clock the next evening I got a knock on the door and was met by a lad who said he had opened the box and had my post, so I just about got it in time, thankfully. (though now to box wont actually lock properly)

To those saying call him, why? when every correspondence we've had has been through WhatsApp and he has been on top of messages all along (other than this instance). Of course had it been a serious emergency, I'd call, but if I'm giving him three days of notice to do something as simple as give me a means to access MY post, at what point are ye going to stop claiming he's too old to check his texts, should I FAX perhaps, telegram?

You said it was an emergency.

Which is it?

Things like texts, Whatsapp are often not delivered, or delivered late. A phone call gets through immediately.

The context is not trying to create a paper chain as a record. But needing something urgently.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭carfinder

Yes Telegram is a good choice - it's the favoured platform now for Trump types and lots of others😂

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Glad you got it sorted OP, wise of you to use an easily recordable medium such as text too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,494 ✭✭✭Raichu

If a WhatsApp isn’t delivered you can literally see as much the same as when it’s read. That’s the key part you’re all ignoring he read the message and didn’t respond.

you’d be soft in your head to not make first contact via text and in general the more you have in writing the better.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Because you'd get a response on the phone rather than second guessing what's going to happen by seeing a read notification on whatsapp

Are you actually unable to call or just unwilling to?

• Advertisement

You won't see if he replied and it hasn't come through. He will but might have noticed. It's not as reliable as you think it is.

You've already tried texting and got no result. That's why people are saying ring. Isn't that why the thread was started in the first place. No contact, and instead of ringing wanted to cause property damage. That's the context.

In terms of proving contact was made/agreement was reached, a phonecall would be absolutely the least robust means of communication?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Maybe not.. In a previous job I often asked people to contact others and get something done. Sometimes, time would move on and nothing had happened and you would then hear... "but I sent an email." I didn't ask for proof of attempted contact... I asked for direct contact and resolution.

It depends on what you are looking for... if you want to cover your ass for a future argument... start the paper trail, if you want something urgent done.... go for direct contact and then only start the paper trail, if you don't succeed. But don't start the ass covering exercise and leave it at that, if you actually want a result.

Maybe you could quote the part of the original question asking for that.

As you say its about context. But if someone doesn't get context, the problem isn't communication.

It's like that IT crowd episode where he emails the fire dept about the office being in flames.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Jaysus someone comes on seeking clarification and gets ageist abuse for sending a text..

You had no clue how they communicate normally. Glad you got sorted op.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,849 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Follow up with an email or text saying that you are confirming the details of our conversion or record the phone call, only 1 party has to agree to the recording.

Is the topic title and first post not a little bit of a clue though...no?

This thread is descending anyway.

The issue is sorted now. People have different preferences in terms of communication methods. In terms of a landlord/tenant relationship, no one method is more valid, or "grown up" than others.

• Advertisement

It's got nothing to do with landlords.

Its about communications in general when it isn't working.

Advertisement